• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

So what control method is everyone mostly using? Analog for movement or dpad for movement? I kinda can't decide. It's more comfortable moving with the analog but its not as precise for doing combos?

Also I chose the Amazon, is this a good starting class? I like ranged, and tanks but also magic users. Don't really go for thieves or assassin types.

Music is lovely btw.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So what control method is everyone mostly using? Analog for movement or dpad for movement? I kinda can't decide. It's more comfortable moving with the analog but its not as precise for doing combos?

Also I chose the Amazon, is this a good starting class? I like ranged, and tanks but also magic users. Don't really go for thieves or assassin types.

Music is lovely btw.

D-pad for movement. It just feels better for me, particularly for dashing. The item management doesn't need to be precise, so throwing that on the analog is no big deal.

Amazon's a great starting class. Most of the characters, when selecting them, will show how difficult they are to use.

dpad for movement here as well, and double tap to dash. anxiously awaiting for the patch that jpn got where item shortcut activate can be mapped to L1 instead of up on the analog stick. I wish you could map an item to R1 as well in addition to the 4 face buttons

Velcro Fly

Anyone know a reliable place to find those 5 skeletons you need to kill? I only have a handful of sidequests left and that is the only one that isn't specific at all about where to find them. Any help is appreciated :D

maomaoIYP

Analog stick here. Way easier control method once you get used to it.

Anyone know a reliable place to find those 5 skeletons you need to kill? I only have a handful of sidequests left and that is the only one that isn't specific at all about where to find them. Any help is appreciated :D
Catacombs or ghost ship cove.

how about where to find Gladiators? I have 1/10 for that quest and don't even know what they look like

side question: if I cancel that sidequest, when I pick it up later, will it still be at 1/10 or will it reset to 0?

How many secret rooms/chests are there? These are the ones I know about so far up to the Mage's Tower (A path) that are not completely obvious or require some type of action to open:

Wallace's Underground Labyrinth - The chest behind the bars in the library (code to open is Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple, or something like that....)
Bilbaron Fortress - Bomb the wall to open the room
Forgotten Sanctuary - Step on triangle shaped switch on the floor and wait to open the wall with a symbol on it, which leads to a chest room
Mage's Tower - Reflect the magic with a shield to open the wall (also for a sidequest) - inside the room, there is a hidden chest that can be revealed with runes.
Mage's Tower #2 - Complete the carpet ride without falling in the lava to get a chest.

Naar

So do you really have to beat the single player to access online? Bought this to play online with a bud tbh.

No. You have to reach a certain point in the game before you can go online. But local coop is available from the start.

I think it's 6 or so hours into the game where online unlocks. I think it's good because you get to learn the game and mechanics.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So do you really have to beat the single player to access online? Bought this to play online with a bud tbh.

You don't have to beat single player, you have to beat a path of quests, which can take some time. Don't dwell too much on sidequests if you want the fastest route to online. Just beeline through the main quests.

Qvoth

How many secret rooms/chests are there? These are the ones I know about so far up to the Mage's Tower (A path) that are not completely obvious or require some type of action to open:

Wallace's Underground Labyrinth - The chest behind the bars in the library (code to open is Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple, or something like that....)
Bilbaron Fortress - Bomb the wall to open the room
Forgotten Sanctuary - Step on triangle shaped switch on the floor and wait to open the wall with a symbol on it, which leads to a chest room
Mage's Tower - Reflect the magic with a shield to open the wall (also for a sidequest) - inside the room, there is a hidden chest that can be revealed with runes.
Mage's Tower #2 - Complete the carpet ride without falling in the lava to get a chest.

you mind clearing up on the bilbaron fortress secret room? which wall?
here are more from gamefaqs
1. (Quest related) In the first floor of the mage's tower, knock a shield off the wall and reflect a mage's attack with it to open a door leading to a small room with a doll.
2. Also in mage's tower, A route. In the library room, click twice on the bookshelf to the right of the sign, then whack it with an attack.
3. Pirate Den, A route, just past the ship when you reenter the cave section, there is an O rune on the wall. Add your T and S runes for Open The Sesame to open the secret door.
4. Underground Castle, A Route, there is a wall halfway through the first rampart area. Use a bomb to open it.
5. Underground Castle, B Route, There is a K rune next to a closed gate in the area where it's raining fire on you. Add the T and S runes for The Skeleton Key to open it.
6. I forget which route, I think the ancient ruins or old capital A route? I forget, but there is a dragon painting that it the game says is hollow behind if you click on it. If you bash on it enough with your weapon, it breaks open to a secret area.
7. Ancient Temple A route, there is a metal door that will open if you stand on a plate just in front of it. You have to stand there for a while for it to open all the way or it will slam shut.

They're the huge ass soldiers.

thanks! man, you've been really helpful answering my questions, super thanks.

So last night I was kinda bored playing the game. went from lv 40-44 with my dwarf, did some sidequests (finally crossed you off the list, owlbears!) and stopped a bit early, which was weird. I'm going to start a 2nd character tonight but what to pick. I want to stay away from Fighter and Amazon because I want something very different. Not sure if I want Elf, Sorc, or Wiz though

Velcro Fly

Took out the dragon on my second attempt. He had about 2 millimeters of health bar left the first time. Feels good but that is going to be so hard with another class. The dwarf is so OP...

My Dragon's Crown Tierlist. Please don't feel offended by it, it's just my opinion and in the end every character can be fun to play as and is justified in combination with other classes. But clearly some are just better than others particular in playing solo. Feel free to discuss.

S Elf, Amazon
A
B
C Fighter > Dwarf
D Wizard
DD Sorceress

Was this posted yet? October 11th release date for Europe and Australia, Artbook will still be a pre-order bonus.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/15/dragons-crown-flies-to-europe-australia-in-october/

My Dragon's Crown Tierlist. Please don't feel offended by it, it's just my opinion and in the end every character can be fun to play as and is justified in combination with other classes. But clearly some are just better than others particular in playing solo. Feel free to discuss.

S Elf, Amazon
A
B
C Fighter > Dwarf
D Wizard
DD Sorceress

I c wut you did there

D-pad for movement. It just feels better for me, particularly for dashing. The item management doesn't need to be precise, so throwing that on the analog is no big deal.

Amazon's a great starting class. Most of the characters, when selecting them, will show how difficult they are to use.

Tried out d-pad movement for a couple levels...couldn't get into it. Navigating the different planes of a stage doesn't feel as seamless to me. Double-tapping for dash is nice, but I rarely dash anyway.

Could you guys tell me what do I suppose to do in the Hellhounds quest.

I must be silly But I don't get it.

Thanks in advance.

Proptip: You get that quest immediately after the Golem boss fight, so you might think you should return to that level to do it...don't. The hellhounds will be fixed on attacking your golem and not you. Wait until you go to the Mage's Tower. Plenty of hellhounds who want to kill you and only you.

Velcro Fly

Think I'm going to split my time between Dwarf in hard mode and probably starting up as the Elf. I think so much of the fun of games like this is figuring out the different playstyles of each class. That is what hooked me first in WoW and this feels similar to that with being eager to play each class.

I can't say enough how well this game gradually opens things up and keeps you coming back for more. Replaying the same stages over and over to collect talismans, complete quests, or just hunt for gear never feels repetitive and it never feels like a chore. Unlocking online, keeping the story going from Normal to Hard, and having everything shared between characters is so cool. Having a major chunk of sidequess unlocking after major story events is also really well done. I feel like even though I'm not pushing forward on the main story, I'm powering up my character little by little by getting more skill points and unlocking more art work.

At 18 hours or so, I feel like I'm only just beginning to see what this game has to offer. As someone who normally hates playing online, the way it works here is so good. It's never a hassle since everyone can come and go as they please. I got in some good groups and we took down some bosses that I was probably underleveled for.

Just a fantastic game and I can't wait to play more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tried out d-pad movement for a couple levels...couldn't get into it. Navigating the different planes of a stage doesn't feel as seamless to me. Double-tapping for dash is nice, but I rarely dash anyway.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that I played a substantial number of beat-em ups when younger on a d-pad. And I play a lot of fighting games as a pad player.

I'm always dashing or in the air.

I would be using analog for movement if the DS3's sticks offered more resistance, they're so damn loose I feel like I don't have any control. is this an issue for you Vita players?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Vita's directional pad is too good to not use it at every opportunity.

I have problems with the cooking game using touch but that's probably because I still don't get it.

Also I can only picture the thief as George Takei every time he says "Oooh My"

and Rival thief is totally Jean Reno.

Once heard, you cannot unhear.
Seriously tho, this is hilariously amazing.

Edit:
I would be using analog for movement if the DS3's sticks offered more resistance, they're so damn loose I feel like I don't have any control. is this an issue for you Vita players?
I have thumbstick covers for my Vita, they are concave like the 360 sticks. It adds extra height, which makes it better feeling, gives me more precision, and the resistance is pretty solid imo. Though, I just found out about switching from the stick to dpad. Or just remembered. One of those. But I always prefer dpad on any 2d game. I feel the stick is for 3d only. I think I'm afraid of it wearing out, or losing it's resistance, as some PS controllers have done for me over the years. Except this time wont be an easy fix.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cooking minigame is soooooo frustrating when playing online on the PS3. Fighting with lag+sentient cursor is brutal.

Lag can be pretty pronounced during camp cooking for sure. It can get bad, like 2-3 second delay. Host advantage to grab those boss ingredients.

Bought the game earlier this week. Playing an elf. Really fun so far. Hit level 28 last night and trying to do all the side quests solo since no one tries to do them online.

I really wish it would just boot people who disconnect instead of replacing them with AI. That is my biggest gripe (and it really pisses me off). I don't believe this game will have the continued patch support this genre of game usually gets or needs and knowing that this problem will likely always be there is kind of bumming me out. However the game is still really cool so I'll just have to find some partners to team up with who wont leave games.

Edit:

I have thumbstick covers for my Vita, they are concave like the 360 sticks. It adds extra height, which makes it better feeling, gives me more precision, and the resistance is pretty solid imo. Though, I just found out about switching from the stick to dpad. Or just remembered. One of those. But I always prefer dpad on any 2d game. I feel the stick is for 3d only. I think I'm afraid of it wearing out, or losing it's resistance, as some PS controllers have done for me over the years. Except this time wont be an easy fix.

do you have a link? I'm considering getting a vita this black friday/holiday season if only for Dragon's Crown and a few other games. the idea of being able to play Dragon's Crown on the go is drool worthy. I would definitely keep playing it long after I'm "done" with the game since a single dungeon run can be as short as 10 min

Is this game worth it if i'll JUST play single player though?

sp and mp are pretty much the same thing. the only difference is if you have AI partners with typical AI issues or if you have real people with you. on hard mode and on, sometimes you really need people with a brain fighting alongside you but if you plan on ignoring mp completely, you can still get by and have a good time with AI partners.

Ferrio

Banned
sp and mp are pretty much the same thing. the only difference is if you have AI partners with typical AI issues or if you have real people with you. on hard mode and on, sometimes you really need people with a brain fighting alongside you but if you plan on ignoring mp completely, you can still get by and have a good time with AI partners.

Not to mention you have to play half the game solo anyways (or local co-op which sucks).

lunlunqq

As someone who mains an Elf, I just don't get the Amazon, even though I've got one up to level 26. Anyone cares to explain what's the BnB of her game?

Ferrio

Banned
As someone who mains an Elf, I just don't get the Amazon, even though I've got one up to level 26. Anyone cares to explain what's the BnB of her game?

Punisher, Brandish, Berserk, and Warpaint are your main skills. Anything after that is personal preference. I like brutal drive because well I like huge numbers.

Most of the time you wanna stay land based, as it does way more damage than any of your air options. The game plan is pretty much to build up your berserk (hit enemies without being hit), once it gets going to lvl 3 you'll be dishing out crazy damage. Once you get some points into Brandish life gets alot easier since the move is totally invulnerable during the spins.

edit: If you do use Brutal Drive, you can equip a second weapon on your character to use when your main one is stuck in the ground. Just bind them both to a hot key and when one is unusable switch to the other. Only caveat is that the CD for switching weapons is HUGE, so no potions for awhile. Also it's helpful because sometimes (when online with other people) you'll lose your weapon offscreen and be unable to get it. Equipping a different weapon not only lets you use an Axe again, but it automatically picks up your previous weapon.

lunlunqq

Punisher, Brandish, Berserk, and Warpaint are your main skills. Anything after that is personal preference. I like brutal drive because well I like huge numbers.

Most of the time you wanna stay land based, as it does way more damage than any of your air options. The game plan is pretty much to build up your berserk (hit enemies without being hit), once it gets going to lvl 3 you'll be dishing out crazy damage. Once you get some points into Brandish life gets alot easier since the move is totally invulnerable during the spins.

edit: If you do use Brutal Drive, you can equip a second weapon on your character to use when your main one is stuck in the ground. Just bind them both to a hot key and when one is unusable switch to the other. Only caveat is that the CD for switching weapons is HUGE, so no potions for awhile. Also it's helpful because sometimes (when online with other people) you'll lose your weapon offscreen and be unable to get it. Equipping a different weapon not only lets you use an Axe again, but it automatically picks up your previous weapon.

Hmm... thanks. I guess my problem with her is the slow start. I just feel it's pretty hard not to get hit with her slow swings when faced with a large group of enemies. When there are not many enemies, they just die too fast before I can build up berserk.

Ferrio

Banned
Hmm... thanks. I guess my problem with her is the slow start. I just feel it's pretty hard not to get hit with her slow swings when faced with a large group of enemies. When there are not many enemies, they just die too fast before I can build up berserk.

Well like I said, once you get brandish it gets easier. You can stay out of range, do your 4 hits, then brandish in while being completely invulnerable.

What does it mean when my NPC allies equipment is red? That it's broken? Is there any way to fix their stuff?

yep, busted. no way to repair. give em the boot, choose and resurrect a replacement for them

I wish the game gave you a little something every time someone else used your character as an NPC in their game. even if it's just a few gold that would be cool

What does it mean when my NPC allies equipment is red? That it's broken? Is there any way to fix their stuff?
Yep, that means the gear is broken. There is no way to repair companion items.

But companions are expendable after all.

I wish the game gave you a little something every time someone else used your character as an NPC in their game. even if it's just a few gold that would be cool
That would be a great touch. Hell, I'd like to know if my fighter is tearing stuff up in other people's games. Goes by the name Unbroken in case you run into me ;P

This whole generation I was dreaming about proper sequel to The Kings of Dragons, with beautiful 2D graphics and RPG elements. Now the wait is finally over and it's not thanks to Capcom.

Dragon's Crown reminds me so much of The Kings of Dragons, it's almost like a real sequel to it. Vanillaware made me a very happy person :D so far around 60 hours in with Elf and I love every minute I spent with the game so far, so good!.

Didn't play online much, unless with friends, some people online act more stupid then AI, so most of the time I play solo. So if anyone is wondering if it's worth it to get the game just to play it solo, YES, it's worth it, the game is worth every penny.

Didn't play online much, unless with friends, some people online act more stupid then AI, so most of the time I play solo. So if anyone is wondering if it's worth it to get the game just to play it solo, YES, it's worth it, the game is worth every penny.
While this is true I'd also suggest it for those who wouldn't normally play online either. The online here is very casual and low obligation since the dungeons themselves can be cleared pretty quickly.

But you'll often run into players that think its a race, a full-tilt sprint to the end - those are the only people that bug me. Whats the rush? Enjoy yourself, look around, play around, its not a grind unless you make it one.

Ferrio

Banned
I've actually had really good experiences online, other than any lag. Think only 1 or 2 games the people were braindead.

Top Bottom