• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Everybody loves the girls, huh, hahaha.

And poor Wizard. Maybe I should change my main from Elf to him.

Anyone here maining the Wizard? Interested in hearing your experiences.

Give Elf more time man, it's really great class. You might not see it right away but when you figure the way she plays and skills for her then nothing will stand on your way. Oh and when it comes to bosses, she's a real beast!

Grisby

Longest chain I've had is 5 dungeons but most of the time the online has been sound. I;ve had some 'syncing information' matches but they worked themselves out.

Online is a freaking blast although I still lose my character from time to time. I've trained myself to watch the circle and not the character if that makes any sense.

Ultimadrago

The Infernal Ancient Dragon literally bowed to my Dwarf. He was gone in no time at all. Well, that was great Now for me to get to Level 9 of the Chaos Labyrinth. I'll probably get to Level 99 on Dwarf as well while I'm at it.

So if I get the "syncing information" message a lot online, should I just play offline so I don't sabotage anyone's runs? I don't think I'd enjoy playing online anyway. The first and only time I popped into someone's game the guy just stands there frantically attacking thin air and refused to move so I just left.

Is there any way to toggle online on or off, or do I just have to sign out of PSN?

Ultimadrago

So if I get the "syncing information" message a lot online, should I just play offline so I don't sabotage anyone's runs? I don't think I'd enjoy playing online anyway. The first and only time I popped into someone's game the guy just stands there frantically attacking thin air and refused to move so I just left.

Is there any way to toggle online on or off, or do I just have to sign out of PSN?

When you're in the stables, you can press "Start" and "End Online." It'll prompt you as well upon arrival at times and you can say "No." there as well. For extra measure, you can turn off Join on other slots in the Tavern. All without logging out of PSN.

When you're in the stables, you can press "Start" and "End Online." It'll prompt you as well upon arrival at times and you can say "No." there as well. For extra measure, you can turn off Join on other slots in the Tavern. All without logging out of PSN.

Nice, thank you.

So the syncing message is a sign that my connection's not up to online play, right?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Give Elf more time man, it's really great class. You might not see it right away but when you figure the way she plays and skills for her then nothing will stand on your way. Oh and when it comes to bosses, she's a real beast!

Play what's fun for you.

Personally, I love the Wizard. He does some ridiculous damage.

I am still jumping around between Elf, Wizard, and Sorceress. Probably Fighter too. Still trying to find the best class that I can find most fun.

Not gonna pay attention to Amazon or Dwarf.

Unlocked the B-routes and the first thing I do is challenge the Kraken at level 20...got my ass handed to me. First time a boss managed to take all my lives.

Danj

pbcomic373.png

Confirmed for October 11. OP updated.

Edit: Well, the Prinny Bomb said "for PAL" but also later on only said "for Europe" so, maybe not confirmed for Australia yet?

Awww yeahhh. Looking forward to this.

Unlocked the B-routes and the first thing I do is challenge the Kraken at level 20...got my ass handed to me. First time a boss managed to take all my lives.

Haha, same thing just happened to me but it was the Rabbit instead. Liking the dwarf so far though, up to level 19 now.

HORRORSHØW

This Fighter in my party is using ALL the fucking pots. The campsite is just chaos with four people and him just randomly dropping shit in peoples' cookware. He even dropped shit in my plate so I had to eat undercooked food.

Be a deadbeat, skip runes, treasures, whatever... just don't mess with my goddamn meal, man.
lmfao. good times.

maomaoIYP

It's not a huge hurdle to kill enemies higher level than you. The enemies and final boss on the last floor of the Labyrinth of Chaos are level 255.

It's a huge hurdle at lvl 50 to take out a lvl 60. When you're lvl 99 with the seal of the vanquisher it doesn't matter anywhere as much in the labyrinth.

Everybody loves the girls, huh, hahaha.

And poor Wizard. Maybe I should change my main from Elf to him.

Anyone here maining the Wizard? Interested in hearing your experiences.

Yup, i main wizard. But i play with my buddy who mains sorceress so in boss fight he protect me so i can cast meteor and other spells all over the place =D. Poor those bosses in infernal...

He's extremely fun, with a bit set up and he's even more amazing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yup, i main wizard. But i play with my buddy who mains sorceress so in boss fight he protect me so i can cast meteor and other spells all over the place =D. Poor those bosses in infernal...

He's extremely fun, with a bit set up and he's even more amazing.

Hmmm, but not really ideal for solo play huh. Is there any kind of build for Wizard to make him viable in solo play?

Raxus

Hmmm, but not really ideal for solo play huh. Is there any kind of build for Wizard to make him viable in solo play?
Don't quote me on this but most expert characters take time to warm up to. I have seen some amazing spellcasters but they had to earn several things in order to get there. Same with my elf on my first playthrough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Don't quote me on this but most expert characters take time to warm up to. I have seen some amazing spellcasters but they had to earn several things in order to get there. Same with my elf on my first playthrough.

I mostly gonna go offline for this, and if possible, I would love to go solo play since AI companions really clutter the screen sometimes it's hard to discern stuff happening in the screen.

I ask because usually in games like this, games with 'build' I mean... well, of course they usually say things like "Play the way you want to play" but usually there always is the "wrong way to play", if you understand my meaning. I mean, when the game is structured in a way that playing a certain way will get punished, regardless of the game's claim that "you can play however you want." Like maybe putting points in the "wrong" skills, etc etc etc.

Now, I just wonder whether "Wizard/Sorceress Solo Play" is the "wrong way to play" in this before I actually invest many hours in it.

I mostly gonna go offline for this, and if possible, I would love to go solo play since AI companions really clutter the screen sometimes it's hard to discern stuff happening in the screen.

I ask because usually in games like this, games with 'build' I mean... well, of course they usually say things like "Play the way you want to play" but usually there always is the "wrong way to play", if you understand my meaning. I mean, when the game is structured in a way that playing a certain way will get punished, regardless of the game's claim that "you can play however you want." Like maybe putting points in the "wrong" skills, etc etc etc.

Now, I just wonder whether "Wizard/Sorceress Solo Play" is the "wrong way to play" in this before I actually invest many hours in it.

I hear what your saying I would say most definitely the expert characters have a certain build. I don't see anyone gettin by as a backstab elf. The great thing tho is the respec potion never means youre screwed. If anything i learned the expert classes r more fragile and require more patience and item management. imo

maomaoIYP

Technically there is no wrong way to play in normal. The real game starts from hard onwards, but it's still perfectly possible to solo the wizard and sorceress. Both of mine are in infernal, and I still haven't played any online.

edit: For what it's worth, I still find the sorceress, which is the more defensive magic user, to be way easier than the wizard.

I don't have a good solo build for you, sorry. But i think wiz/ sorc is pretty viable in solo play as long as you can outlevel the enemies and with good equipment, and good reflex to dodge enemies' attacks. It's more challenging but not possible.

The reason i go with set up because wiz's strongest skill, meteor, needs long time to cast so i need some protection. You can go with other fast spells to have your advantage in solo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hear what your saying I would say most definitely the expert characters have a certain build. I don't see anyone gettin by as a backstab elf. The great thing tho is the respec potion never means youre screwed. If anything i learned the expert classes r more fragile and require more patience and item management. imo

Oh, there is an option for respec?

Is it prohibitive to access?

Technically there is no wrong way to play in normal. The real game starts from hard onwards, but it's still perfectly possible to solo the wizard and sorceress. Both of mine are in infernal, and I still haven't played any online.

edit: For what it's worth, I still find the sorceress, which is the more defensive magic user, to be way easier than the wizard.

Ah, this allay my fears greatly, thank you. Do you play solo as in no AI companions? Or do you still bring them?

I don't have a good solo build for you, sorry. But i think wiz/ sorc is pretty viable in solo play as long as you can outlevel the enemies and with good equipment, and good reflex to dodge enemies' attacks. It's more challenging but not possible.

The reason i go with set up because wiz's strongest skill, meteor, needs long time to cast so i need some protection. You can go with other fast spells to have your advantage in solo.

Hmmm, maomaolYP's admission was that he/she is capable of soloing the game on its most difficult setting with Wizard/Sorcerer, and I trust him/her. I like "flashy" characters like them, so it's nice to know that it's possible.

Ultimadrago

Yep, I'm using the dwarf too. Putting most of my points in his power attack and throws. Any other recommendations?

Adroit Hands, so you can Double Grand Smash faster. I've also been using Powder Mastery and Bombs against Elite mobs (which can't be thrown unless suffering certain status effects).

Place one in Evasion for that extra leap (especially since Dwarf's covers little ground). Deep Pockets later down the line isn't a bad idea to ensure you have space for bombs (or barrels, if you choose that instead), two weapons, armor pieces and potions.

I placed one in Eagle Dive, but it's honestly more of a nuisance than a boon. I sometimes use the triple jump to cover ground, but there are also accidental slips that leave me across the room (as you can't cancel the glide). You should try it yourself to see if you like it (save before and quit after if you don't want it).

Rock Skin is great. It's a free defense buff for a few seconds standing. That's good stuff, especially if you want to stand close ground near your Power Smash'd weapon while it cools down.

Toughness is another one to keep an eye out for. A lack of flinch and knockdown for weaker attacks adds up for more grabs, tosses and Grand Smash setups. Who wants a single arrow to send them flying?

I placed my Vitality Boost to about an 8 or 9. It's high enough, and with high Nutritionist skill you max out your health to 999 within a few bites. Your mileage may vary if you have found another personal skill you want to upgrade and play more defensively to begin with.

In short: Max Power Bomb, Grand Smash, Powder Mastery (More important for later levels), Rock Skin, Toughness, Vitality (High, but max is unnecessary), Deep Pockets, Adroit Hands, Nutritionist.

Place some in: Bomb Satchel and Evasion

I personally skip out on Lethal Fists as Grand Smash double mode is godly for mobs as well as tosses. It's not hard to evade and prepare for the next Smash or toss and Dwarf's combat range and fisticuffs are left to be desired. You can slightly relieve that with Frenzy, but I don't utilize many fists against elite units (which are plentiful in later difficulties). I find the points are better spent used giving Dwarf a ranged option to possibly cause knockdown (like a well thrown bomb) and get an OTG Grand Smash.

Also, if you use bomb, remember to toss it fast ahead of you with Triangle + Forward. It took me too long to figure that out.

I'm Level 99 Dwarf and on Infernal right now wondering what to put my leftover points in. I'm leaning Powder Mastery to make my bombs stronger, making Elite mobs even easier to control.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Started off with sorceress when I got the game, solo'd all the way up to the 80s in inferno before I hopped online. Nothing particularly difficult, at times it felt like she even broke the game a bit. Also you can summon food to keep going forever (72 pieces at max level).

Usobuko

Banned
I am Lv84 at the moment with about 11 skill points spare and 10 more quests to go. I'm almost up for a final skill reset, which buff is ideal for Amazon, preferably for LoC repeatedly runs. That's the end game content isn't it?

Edit: The only ones I have are Max'd War Paint and Berserk, plus 1 point in adrenaline.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Started off with sorceress when I got the game, solo'd all the way up to the 80s in inferno before I hopped online. Nothing particularly difficult, at times it felt like she even broke the game a bit. Also you can summon food to keep going forever (72 pieces at max level).

Solo as in just offline or solo as in no AI companions offline?

maomaoIYP

Ah, this allay my fears greatly, thank you. Do you play solo as in no AI companions? Or do you still bring them?

Hmmm, maomaolYP's admission was that he/she is capable of soloing the game on its most difficult setting with Wizard/Sorcerer, and I trust him/her. I like "flashy" characters like them, so it's nice to know that it's possible.

I play completely solo. No AI characters. Certain enemies on higher difficulties require a little strategy with sorc and wiz, that's really about it. Once you learn the weakness of the creatures it's definitely not too difficult.

Sanctuary

Analog stick here. Way easier control method once you get used to it.

I just can't see it. I gave the analog a good five hours before going to D-Pad forever. Dashing is awful compared to just double tapping as a caster (you cannot do that anywhere as consistently with the analog, and casters use square to recharge mana too), and trying to do Up + O and Down + O (air) attacks are wonky as hell with the analog.

I play completely solo. No AI characters. Certain enemies on higher difficulties require a little strategy with sorc and wiz, that's really about it. Once you learn the weakness of the creatures it's definitely not too difficult.

If I'm not screwing around online for a change of pace, I'm strictly solo as well. On my first Wizard I was always taking a full mixed group, then later only a group of Fighters or a single Fighter. With my current lvl 67, I've not brought along a single NPC yet. Fighters might still be worth it for a few fights (Ancient Dragon), but for LoC chain runs they just become money sinks.

Awww... These solo posts make me feel pathetic for relying on my AI/ online mates to have easier adventures =D. Oh well, i'm a man with no challenge and only want to relax with games =P.

GorillaJu

I'm sure this is late and I haven't read through the thread a whole lot, but for anyone who isn't aware as there was definitely a lot of questions about this,

Atlus ‏@Atlus_jp

ご質問いただいておりますドラゴンズクラウンの「LUCについて」ですが、本作のLUCはクリティカル発生率とクリティカル回避率にのみ関連付いております。トレジャーハントにLUCは影響いたしません。

Atlus say here that LUC is only related to critical chance (both outgoing and incoming), and it's got no relation to treasure hunting.

Sorry if old, hopefully still useful.

Kamina

Golden Boy
My VG+ Vita-Preorder + Artbook finally arrived.

For all who are wondering why it takes so long:
Apparently they go over Belgium for some reason. The packaging was a standard Air-Bubble-Envelope btw.

And now: Team Elf, here i come!

HORRORSHØW

I took a look at the spreadsheet with GAFer's PSN IDs, and I noticed someone wrote over my ID. It could possibly have been a mistake. If not, not cool.

Swordy

My VG+ Vita-Preorder + Artbook finally arrived.

For all who are wondering why it takes so long:
Apparently they go over Belgium for some reason. The packaging was a standard Air-Bubble-Envelope btw.

And now: Team Elf, here i come!

Oh, good to know, hope my copy arrives soon too, maybe it's already here, have to check it after work.

Tain

Finally beat Normal, solo using Elf. Really cool game, better than I expected and definitely the best Vanillaware game. But now that I've seen how cool the classes and bosses and environments are, I'm even more bummed out that it isn't an arcade-styled game. I'd even gladly take an attempt at shuffling all this content into an Arcade Mode. Shame.

Wehrwolf

I'm sure this is late and I haven't read through the thread a whole lot, but for anyone who isn't aware as there was definitely a lot of questions about this,

Atlus say here that LUC is only related to critical chance (both outgoing and incoming), and it's got no relation to treasure hunting.

Sorry if old, hopefully still useful.

Thanks, if it was old, it was still news to me, and good to know.

Ill Saint

Is it possible to stop the
Ancient Dragon
healing? Never gave me any trouble at all at the other difficulty levels, but infernal version is really testing my resolve.

Monomythian

Neo Member
Big bad last boss on infernal is doing my head in. Healing + crossbow skeletons can kiss my arse.

I'm having exactly the same grief. As an solo 80 Amazon I can knock back a Strength Pot/War Paint and obliterate it's health to under half before the first breath.

But once the crossbow skeletons show up their arrows knock me down and scatter my weapon. Then I'm unable to build up enough momentum to out damage the Ancient Dragons heals.

Might try it with AI companions but I found them to be completely useless on Infernal.

Top Bottom