• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maomaoIYP

Is it possible to stop the
Ancient Dragon
healing? Never gave me any trouble at all at the other difficulty levels, but infernal version is really testing my resolve.

It's a dps problem. If you can't kill him before he breathes the 2nd time, you need to level up or get better equipment or have a better strategy.

Ill Saint

It's a dps problem. If you can't kill him before he breathes the 2nd time, you need to level up or get better equipment or have a better strategy.

Yeah, fuck it, no way I can manage it with a Dwarf. I'm level 95 and even with +20 dmg to draconic weapon and stacking -20 dmg from draconic with strong draughts I just can't manage to get high enough DPS. AI companions just get wasted by the damn skele crossbow jerks. Not fun.

Time to move on to another character I guess.

maomaoIYP

Yeah, fuck it, no way I can manage it with a Dwarf. I'm level 95 and even with +20 dmg to draconic weapon and stacking -20 dmg from draconic with strong draughts I just can't manage to get high enough DPS. AI companions just get wasted by the damn skele crossbow jerks. Not fun.

Not even with double power smash? That's sad to hear =(

Wait, have you tried it solo, as in, without AI partners?

The boss's health scales with the number of characters. AI is absolutely useless in that fight (or at least, don't contribute anywhere near enough) and shouldn't be used because you're adding a ton of health to the boss and don't have much extra damage to show for it because the AI is terrible and should feel bad.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm having exactly the same grief. As an solo 80 Amazon I can knock back a Strength Pot/War Paint and obliterate it's health to under half before the first breath.

I did it on Amazon at 81 and my time is 1:21. Not exactly a fast time but I killed before the 2nd phase. Here what I had used:

Large Defense Potion ( 120 seconds )
Large Attack Potion ( 120 seconds )
Large Regenerate HP Potion ( 60 seconds )
Large Unable to be KnockDown Potion ( 60 seconds )
Max War Paint.

Drink the first 3 before you trigger the encounter, then hide behind the pillar and drink the 4th one. Walk up to his face, use war paint and mash brandish ground combo.

eliochip

No way soloing this with an Elf then. Disappointed

I really want to Platinum this so I guess I'll have to do this trophy with a Fighter whenever I get to it

I really want to Platinum this so I guess I'll have to do this trophy with a Fighter whenever I get to it

What? Solo Elf (no AI) melts ancient dragon in under 2 minutes easily on inferno. On normal I killed it solo in 20 seconds. Hard was right around 1 minute.

Finally beat Normal, solo using Elf. Really cool game, better than I expected and definitely the best Vanillaware game. But now that I've seen how cool the classes and bosses and environments are, I'm even more bummed out that it isn't an arcade-styled game. I'd even gladly take an attempt at shuffling all this content into an Arcade Mode. Shame.
I felt the same about the game once I soloed it with an Amazon on normal. It exceeded my expectations, and I was really surprised how a (probably) 2-3 hour game was expanded in such a clever and fun way, but deep down I wish it was like a traditional arcade game.

Dragon's Crown strikes me as a sandbox beat-em-up. All the mechanics of a traditional beat-em-up are there, but arranged so that stages can be approached in myriad ways. You can play each stage in a "bubble," starting fresh with normal amount of lives and item uses, then heading back to town each time to recharge-- each stage like a 10 minute game in itself. Or you can play them more traditionally by not heading back to town, so the better you do the more lives you get, the longer you survive, and the better the payoff-- a lot like an arcade game. The RPG elements are there so anyone can get through the game with enough time, or if you're good enough you don't have to worry about item or level grinding. Once multiple difficulties are introduced you can flip-flop between them to complete side-quests, learn skills and earn items that carry over.

But with all that freedom there is still one tiny slice of players left in the dust-- what about the players who don't want that freedom and want a tightly directed challenge to overcome? That is my one complaint: There is not much to come back to beyond trying out different characters once I've seen everything. When the game is arranged in such a safe way that allows players to balance the difficulty themselves with stats, items, and breaking up stages, playing through the game feels less meaningful to me. I still want to get a sense of the other characters, but starting again I'll feel like I'm just going through the motions for the sake of trying a new style of play. The unique characters do all the heavy lifting in this game rather than the actual stages-- that's what people play for and come back to. Players want to level their guys up, get new equipment, try new skills, beat this boss with this axe instead of that one, do the sidequests for mini-challenges and the payoff, etc. And that's why I maintain it feels like a sandbox beat-em-up. The stages are areas to have fun messing around in to try out the cool characters, and you can play in short or long sessions however you want.

I often take games at face value when I play them, but when Dragon's Crown has all the elements and assets of a traditional arcade beat-em-up already in the game it's hard for me to not wish there was an arcade mode. I'm holding out for that 0.0001% chance it'll be added as DLC.

What was your strategy if you don't mind sharing?

Charged upward shots using salamander oil (and toxic when out of salamander) with the highest level of clone strikes available on each difficulty.

Charge shot up, evade in the direction you just shot to pick up any arrows that may have dropped, repeat til it's dead. Since Elf's evade makes her face in the direction opposite of the way you moved, you should be bouncing between the same two spots on each side of the dragon's head.

Doing this on normal, I finished him before I could see him do more than 1 or 2 attacks, so I didn't really get to see what the fight was about until hard mode.

Jarsonot

Just beat normal on wife's character. REALLLLY slow non-skippable end credits.

Then beat it in my character. Fuck non-skippable end credits. If I want to know who the production coordinator is give me an option in the menu to find out. Some people may want to know this, but I doubt ANYONE wants to have to slowly wait through a slow-ass sequence to find out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just beat normal on wife's character. REALLLLY slow non-skippable end credits.

Then beat it in my character. Fuck non-skippable end credits. If I want to know who the production coordinator is give me an option in the menu to find out. Some people may want to know this, but I doubt ANYONE wants to have to slowly wait through a slow-ass sequence to find out.

You can skip it after the first viewing. Not sure if that's per character or not.

Well I finally got my Vita copy yesterday. I had preordered it about two months ago and it was shipped out Monday of last week. I'm in the central US so I was expecting it a week ago. Don't know why Newegg went with DHL but I did get Newegg to give me a $5 reimbursement probably due to my all of my bitching about not receiving the preorder artbook and it taking so long to arrive.

Not that the Newegg customer service was able to help me with the preorder artbook but I will give them kudos for being very responsive and not fighting me when I asked for them to price match my preorder $39.99 price to their sale price this week for the game at $34.99. So that's the end of my Newegg saga.

Now.... about the game. :)

Holy crap. I've only been playing a few hours (wizard at lvl 14 and still in normal dungeons) but damn this is a fine game. The artw and spritework is just phenomenal. Each dungeon has its own personality. Each boss fight is fun too (and I usually dislike boss fights except in games like Monster Hunter).

There are simply too many little things to mention that make this game so great. It simply lets you feel like a badass and do fun things where too many games nowadays seem to try and restrict your fun too much by putting nonsensical limitations in that can end up feeling more frustrating than fun. For example, when I selected the wood golem skill I figured it would be like most RPGs nowadays where the skill wouldn't even become useful until after pumping a lot of skill levels into it and by then you wouldn't want to use the golem spell and they probably wouldn't give you enough wooden items to make golems out of anyway! But oh no - not Dragon's Crown. The wood golems actually work quite well, they can last a good long time, and they are actually pretty good too (except fire wipes them out quickly as one would expect).

Is it an action RPG? Is it a loot dungeon crawler? The music is good too and gives me a Diablo vibe. Is the game a brawler? I don't know exactly what it is but I like it.

Dragon's Crown is just awesome overload. This game just seems to do things right. That's my assessment after playing for a couple of hours. Just can't put the game down which is a good sign.

Ultimadrago

I Double Smashed through the Ancient Dragon on Infernal just fine (at a much lower level than 95). Timing Grand Smash to hit sword wights and the dragon simultaneously wasn't an issue either. Crossbows can be largely ignored with Toughness/Evasion/Rock Skin and/or bombed to pieces in free time. Considering that you can activate Power Smash to completely ignore some of the Ancient Dragon's strongest moves and give damage, it's most certainly possible pull it off with a Dwarf solo easily. You shouldn't use A.I. partners either.

Think I'll marathon solo all the A-paths with my dwarf before tackling the B-paths. Should be a good exercise.

This was my usual run when entering a new difficulty. Chaos Labyrinth (until it stops you at 3 floors) ---> All A paths marathon ---> All B paths marathon ---> Ancient Dragon.

Quixzlizx

Yea, I do find the pacing a bit off myself. I've only just unlocked online for my Elf, so I haven't really gotten a feel for that side of the game.

But the several hours I played leading up to Talisman Hunting had a lot of highlights, but a lot of severe downtime. I do find levels go way too quickly(they are usually double in length in later stages, but still too short). Too often I rip through foes and then spend way too much time clicking about rune combos and digging up shining points. The moments of actual action and fighting feels like such a footnote in comparison to the downtime of town management and the screen scrubbing.

Hard for me to just ignore that stuff too. I do like the game, but my enjoyment is wearing thin as I keep thinking more about the ancillary crap to contend with each time I load it up now.

Eventually, you'll remember which shiny points in each level are the uber ones that spill out a ton of stuff and ignore the rest (I'm pretty OCD and I've gotten better about not running to grab every little trinket). Also, the runes correspond to letters which correspond to rune phrases, so O T S is "Open the Sesame." I don't have the link on me, but there's an image someone put together with all of the rune combinations on it.

Once you start chaining dungeons, the amount of downtime in town goes way down.

Monomythian

Neo Member
Aw yeah, Infernal finished, all thanks to the +30% Air Damage Chaos Bangle that put me over the edge.

Also lol at Chaos Labyrinth 9-1, I was not expecting that.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
After seeing so many opinions that this was Vanillaware's best I was eager to try it out but man do I not agree at all. It has the best art, I suppose, but the gameplay feels stretched thin and grindy beyond all reason. And (at least so far, I'm only level ~22) not much of a narrative at all.

What made Odin Sphere so great was two main things. The story, while no masterpiece, kept me entertained by the way it was told. The shifting viewpoints and overlapping timelines were interesting to think about and felt like they gave more purpose to what I was doing than just completing quests.

But more importantly, characters in beatemups are never deep or complex enough to be entertaining for 10+ hours for me. Odin Sphere's characters were more shallow than this, but you only spent a few hours with each one before moving on and the constant shift in gameplay really helped to keep me engaged.

I don't hate it and will still be playing this weekend, but Odin Sphere was a game I never wanted to stop playing because everything was always changing while this I have to put down after a few dungeons. In Odin Sphere, even when traversing the same level or fighting the same boss, it was with a different character that required a different approach or story wise I was there for a different reason and wanted to find out what would happen next.

Raxus

you just need to hit him hard, I guess you can kill him in the first room too.

The solo challenge involves killing him in the first room. It isn't so bad. Defense pot and offense pot and go to town on him. Evade when he telegraphs a slam. If you just want to beat him weaken him in his room and then finish him in the hallway.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Couldn't find this game at my local Best Buy. Weird.
I'm guessing that there want much interest in then stocking it. It's a Japanese Atlus game, after all.

I know my local Best Buy and Future Shop only got two or three copies each and no restock since launch. Probably have better luck at Gamestop/ebgames.

Just grabbed the only Vita copy a local GameStop had. Dude said it was the only copy they received and it's been sitting there for over a week. So, you'll be seeing me online more.

PSN - Frostu

Usobuko

Banned

You can still go all the way. At the very worst, add someone on GAF with the similar timezone as your play schedule to help you.

I leave it to no chances for Ancient Dragon because you don't get to fight it anymore unless you do all the B routes for the talismans again ( I think ). Not going to bother with it on Hard and Infernal, so I get it right at first. It won't be a pain in the ass if you decide to power level the remaining 5 characters with your main. You'll still have ample chances to beat the ancient dragon at normal in 2 mins since you need to beat the game with all characters for platinum.

QP3

Just grabbed the only Vita copy a local GameStop had. Dude said it was the only copy they received and it's been sitting there for over a week. So, you'll be seeing me online more.

PSN - Frostu
When I bought mine it was also the only copy available. Had to call all of the area stores to find one that was in stock.

Raxus

Got it. Finally.

1L84a87b.png

romulus91

after reading this thread for weeks, got my copy yesterday............. i played for 6 hours straight and am at work now without sleep........... so so worth it :). Thanks for all the awesome discussion - this game lives up to the hype

i dont have many gaf friends on PSN so if you have time add me :) - gromulus91

Question on the "kill this boss without help" quests - can you still couch co-op for those?

I can't give you an answer based on firsthand experience, but I want to say I doubt it because the instructions for the quest specifically state to turn all other character slots to "Join Off" which would prevent couch co-op.

Raxus

oh, congrats. how long did it take?

About 50 hours. The most time consuming is finishing the game on every character and eating all the dishes. It really isn't that bad once you have a 99 AI allies to speed you through it. Faster if you have a 99 buddy to kill all the bosses for you. Worst characters to speed run through were the Wizard and Amazon for me.

Ultimadrago

I can't give you an answer based on firsthand experience, but I want to say I doubt it because the instructions for the quest specifically state to turn all other character slots to "Join Off" which would prevent couch co-op.

You can set all slots to Join Off and play Couch co-op. I haven't tested if it "counts" or not, however.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
&)@%$@$&!(%!%$#%!

Last time I will EVER try to go for quest objectives online.

Jesus.
H.
Christ.

How the hell am I matched up with god damn ritalin popping autistic spazzoids at 3 in the fucking morning!! These twitchy morons can NOT be still for a single fucking second.

Oh a chest -- nope, exit.
Oh, a rune -- nope, DASH DASH DASH KILL.
Oh, a quest objective -- NOPE EXIT.
Oh, it's the
Wraith, hey, let's go light a statue so he's vulnerable
-- LOLNOPE, I R HAZ TEH BUTTONZ MASHINGZ WEEEEE *pauses for sippy cup* WHEEEEEE.

*throws controller*

*cat squeals in an alley somewhere*
Ha ha. I had a similar experience today. Except one guy never wanted to exit. He was always trying to walk the opposite way every screen for no reason. No runes no treasure just "I'm going to go over here now..."

Except vs the wraith. Then he wanted to chill out next to a broken statue.

After seeing so many opinions that this was Vanillaware's best I was eager to try it out but man do I not agree at all. It has the best art, I suppose, but the gameplay feels stretched thin and grindy beyond all reason. And (at least so far, I'm only level ~22) not much of a narrative at all.

What made Odin Sphere so great was two main things. The story, while no masterpiece, kept me entertained by the way it was told. The shifting viewpoints and overlapping timelines were interesting to think about and felt like they gave more purpose to what I was doing than just completing quests.

But more importantly, characters in beatemups are never deep or complex enough to be entertaining for 10+ hours for me. Odin Sphere's characters were more shallow than this, but you only spent a few hours with each one before moving on and the constant shift in gameplay really helped to keep me engaged.

I don't hate it and will still be playing this weekend, but Odin Sphere was a game I never wanted to stop playing because everything was always changing while this I have to put down after a few dungeons. In Odin Sphere, even when traversing the same level or fighting the same boss, it was with a different character that required a different approach or story wise I was there for a different reason and wanted to find out what would happen next.

As one of the biggest Odin Sphere lovers out there, I have to disagree that it is superior to this. In the worst case, they can't really be compared. Odin Sphere was much more an RPG than this; it did have a far better story than DC (in fact, it was awesome) and the alchemy/seed system was worth the price of admission alone, but action-wise it doesn't hold a candle to DC. Repetition-wise too, actually; sure, you had five characters, but only Mercedes was truly different. Oswald played pretty much like a gimped Gwendolin (dark form was useless) and Velvet just had a bit more range and her swinging move. It only had six stages total, with around 6-7 different bosses exluding the final chapter ones. If a game suffered a LOT from repetition, it was definitely Odin Sphere (and Muramasa too, but that's another story).

Oddly enough, my opinion is also the reverse regarding art; I felt Odin Sphere's was more alive and original. Obviously Dragon's Crown is eye-poppingly amazing too, but Odin Sphere had truly beautiful places like Ragnanival that nothing I've seen in Dragon's Crown exactly matches.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Look, I know Vanillaware is not really a big developer company and thus they need to make all the cuts necessary to reduce game-making cost, but goddamn playing as a Wizard totally makes this game the Yuri-Lowenthall's Crown. He voices: the english Wizard, Rannie, AND the resurrecting priest in the temple, AND the random male villagers in the city.

Goddamn. YURI LOWENTHALL ALL OVER THE PLACE.

However, making Elf as the narrator is <3 <3 Her voice is so soothing, it's like sex to my ears and gives me eargasm.

As one of the biggest Odin Sphere lovers out there, I have to disagree that it is superior to this. In the worst case, they can't really be compared. Odin Sphere was much more an RPG than this; it did have a far better story than DC (in fact, it was awesome) and the alchemy/seed system was worth the price of admission alone, but action-wise it doesn't hold a candle to DC. Repetition-wise too, actually; sure, you had five characters, but only Mercedes was truly different. Oswald played pretty much like a gimped Gwendolin (dark form was useless) and Velvet just had a bit more range and her swinging move. It only had six stages total, with around 6-7 different bosses exluding the final chapter ones. If a game suffered a LOT from repetition, it was definitely Odin Sphere (and Muramasa too, but that's another story).

Oddly enough, my opinion is also the reverse regarding art; I felt Odin Sphere's was more alive and original. Obviously Dragon's Crown is eye-poppingly amazing too, but Odin Sphere had truly beautiful places like Ragnanival that nothing I've seen in Dragon's Crown exactly matches.

My biggest issue with OS was the Slowdown, made the battle with the Queen of the Underworld nearly unbeatable with some characters. That being said, the art, voice acting and story were, imo, absolutely amazing....makes me sad we won't see Grand Knights History.

Top Bottom