• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maomaoIYP

2) What's the deal with coliseum? I've tried for two days both patch and prepatch to get a match and I haven't gotten one. I tried joining and hosting and nothing. It always says can't connect. Is this common? This is gonna the pain in the ass trophy to get and it's not even that hard.

Set to offline and host a game to play only with AI. I've not played a single match online.
How fun is this game guys? I had it pre-ordered, but was out of state at the time of release and my pre-order was cancelled. But I'll most likely get it this week. it looks like it has a lot of replayability.
I have 215 hours played, and it's still the only thing I want to play.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Only 1 talisman left.

The Red Dragon.

I am seriously hesitating to go for it right now. Multiple times he destroyed me already on Level 27, 28, 29, when I am playing with other people. They got destroyed too of course, hahaha.

Uuuuuhhhh.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Only 1 talisman left.

The Red Dragon.

I am seriously hesitating to go for it right now. Multiple times he destroyed me already on Level 27, 28, 29, when I am playing with other people. They got destroyed too of course, hahaha.

Uuuuuhhhh.
Try to reach the level cap first and put some points in your heaviest attack skill.
Take some above LV30 NPCs with you and try to get the Dragon down to below 50% in the Room. Afterwards leave and fight it while escaping. The ballista do good damage.

Only 1 talisman left.

The Red Dragon.

Uuuuuhhhh.

Make sure to get him to under 30% while still in the gold room, or else you can't do enough damage in the hallway. I did the wraith fight first on my first playthrough and thought you had to bail the room ASAP on the red dragon as well. My condolences for the people that I was partied with.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Try to reach the level cap first and put some points in your heaviest attack skill.
Take some above LV30 NPCs with you and try to get the Dragon down to below 50% in the Room. Afterwards leave and fight it while escaping. The ballista do good damage.

Make sure to get him to under 30% while still in the gold room, or else you can't do enough damage in the hallway. I did the wraith fight first on my first playthrough and thought you had to bail the room ASAP on the red dragon as well. My condolences for the people that I was partied with.

Can't upgrade my best attack skill right now, since the next upgrade is placed on a level beyond the level cap in normal :( (Elf, Clone Attack)

I understand the basic idea, but his attacks is so devastating and I still don't have enough understanding of his attacks' tell-animation to do a proper avoid.

Anyways, his fire breath, how to avoid it? Just jump up? What about the falling rocks from the ceiling? Just flip around and perform evade like crazy?

Kurod

Banned
Only 1 talisman left.

The Red Dragon.

Uuuuuhhhh.

If you'd like I can hop on my wiz and try to help (PS3 only though).

Can't upgrade my best attack skill right now, since the next upgrade is placed on a level beyond the level cap in normal :( (Elf, Clone Attack)

I understand the basic idea, but his attacks is so devastating and I still don't have enough understanding of his attacks' tell-animation to do a proper avoid.

Anyways, his fire breath, how to avoid it? Just jump up? What about the falling rocks from the ceiling? Just flip around and perform evade like crazy?

Might be wrong about this but when I stick to the very bottom of the screen, the boss doesn't seem to use it's breath attack anymore.

Also, after trying out every character and getting them to lv35 before dumping them (save for Elf, who got to lv60), I picked the Fighter and it finally clicked. He combos like vcrazy in the air, does solid damage on the ground with Sword storm and can blobk/stun stuff with his shield. He quickly became my favorite character, sucks that it took so long to find that out.

MooMoo

Evade for fire, falling rocks, and claw attacks. You just need to learn to read his attacks. I haven't seen him use the fire move outside the first 30-60 seconds of the fight. Falling rocks; if he jumps, rocks will follow. He'll try to swat you if you're standing relatively close to him. In all cases you just need to evade appropriately. Like the other guys have said, you don't have to do too much damage to him; 30% or so is enough to just bail out to the next room and continue the fight there.

I offered to help you a while back--even if you do live in a crazy time zone--and that offer still stands :p

Adam J.

Finally got around to playing this--put in about 4 hours so far. Am I the only person that has trouble visually keeping track of what is going on during battles? Everything just sort of blurs together in a flurry and it kinda give me a headache. Also, the combat feels super floaty (imo).

Neat little game, but I cant really say I'm having fun.

maomaoIYP

Get to the lower left corner of the screen. No more breath attacks.
When he jumps, you jump to avoid the shockwave, then evasion to avoid the rocks.

So I've unlocked the majority of the elf's arsenal in some form or another and I'm really not feeling it. I consistently feel like the most useless member of the party (and I'm playing with AIs!)...I'm about lv.17 right now. Does the elf get better? I don't mean stronger, I mean more fun to play as. I feel like all of her skills are far too specialized.

Drizzt519

Banned
I like the Elf. Keeping her up in the air as long as possible while bustin mad arrows into bad dudes is pretty satisfying. Anyhow, if shes not for you just try another character, there has to be at least one you'll like.

P.S. I've played with the Elf and the Sorceress, I like the Sorceress more.

I like the Elf. Keeping her up in the air as long as possible while bustin mad arrows into bad dudes is pretty satisfying. Anyhow, if shes not for you just try another character, there has to be at least one you'll like.

P.S. I've played with the Elf and the Sorceress, I like the Sorceress more.

Oh, yeah, I love the game and had a hell of a time with the dwarf - he was amazing and I plan to revisit him for hard mode eventually. I've just been feeling out other characters and playstyles. Eh, you win some and lose some. I'll keep at it for a bit longer and if I'm not feeling it I'll switch things up.

Question....I'm still just starting, but I keep reading posts about people getting stuck on such and such boss. After you run out of lives you can just continue with money, so why are folk getting stuck? Does it get uber expensive? I have yet to continue for myself, but I have revived allies and it's still dirt cheap. Most of the time I just let them die if I'm close to finishing a boss.

Does reviving get more and more expensive the more you use it or does it get more expensive the more you level up? I currently have about 200 grand and revivals are ~1500

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thank you everyone for the advice. I will try to max my Elf first (mine is level 30 right now) before tackling him for hopefully an easier time. I am playing only in Vita btw.

Evade for fire, falling rocks, and claw attacks. You just need to learn to read his attacks. I haven't seen him use the fire move outside the first 30-60 seconds of the fight. Falling rocks; if he jumps, rocks will follow. He'll try to swat you if you're standing relatively close to him. In all cases you just need to evade appropriately. Like the other guys have said, you don't have to do too much damage to him; 30% or so is enough to just bail out to the next room and continue the fight there.

I offered to help you a while back--even if you do live in a crazy time zone--and that offer still stands :p

Sorry man, I don't mean to be rude about it :(

Yeah if you, or anyone else here, are willing to help that would be great. What's your PSN ID? I typically play at night here, around 7 P.M. or so, which is around 5.5 hours more from this time of post.

Espada

Question....I'm still just starting, but I keep reading posts about people getting stuck on such and such boss. After you run out of lives you can just continue with money, so why are folk getting stuck? Does it get uber expensive? I have yet to continue for myself, but I have revived allies and it's still dirt cheap. Most of the time I just let them die if I'm close to finishing a boss.

Does reviving get more and more expensive the more you use it or does it get more expensive the more you level up? I currently have about 200 grand and revivals are ~1500

It gets more expensive the more you use it. I've only used one continue/revive thus far and it only asked for ~1500.

Thanks gents. A couple more revival questions.

Does reviving npc's increase how much it costs for you to revive?

Does reviving affect other characters? Like if I make a new character will it costs the same to revive them as my other character? I know money, loot, Rannie or whatever the hell his name is, that's all shared

MooMoo

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will try to max my Elf first (mine is level 30 right now) before tackling him for hopefully an easier time. I am playing only in Vita btw.

Sorry man, I don't mean to be rude about it :(

Yeah if you, or anyone else here, are willing to help that would be great. What's your PSN ID? I typically play at night here, around 7 P.M. or so, which is around 5.5 hours more from this time of post.
Haha it's cool, no hard feelings :p yoshiDeKiller is my PSN ID.

kubricks

How do you guys kill the Wrath under 2mins in Hard mode?
I found it impossible with my lvl56 amazon, I can kill the final boss on hard no problem but this Wrath... ;_;

Or should I level up a bit in inferno and come back?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just beat the game with the elf (was capped at level 35) and my boyfriend (fighter). Of course his progress isn't saved so hard mode and the new side-quests haven't unlocked for him. Ugh. Well at least he could still fight the last boss.

I have a question about the red dragon:
we fought him all inside the room we find him and died a lot (I think I had a money deficit at the end xD), but we still won and got the talisman. We came back later and tried exiting the room without waking the dragon, and he chased us down that corridor and the bridge and we defeated it by throwing it off the cliff. If you do that the first time, do you still get the talisman? Sounds like a much easier way to defeat him but they hinted that it wasn't really dead so I'm assuming that's not really the right way to do it...

Giolon

So I just beat the game with the elf (was capped at level 35) and my boyfriend (fighter). Of course his progress isn't saved so hard mode and the new side-quests haven't unlocked for him. Ugh. Well at least he could still fight the last boss.

I have a question about the red dragon:
we fought him all inside the room we find him and died a lot (I think I had a money deficit at the end xD), but we still won and got the talisman. We came back later and tried exiting the room without waking the dragon, and he chased us down that corridor and the bridge and we defeated it by throwing it off the cliff. If you do that the first time, do you still get the talisman? Sounds like a much easier way to defeat him but they hinted that it wasn't really dead so I'm assuming that's not really the right way to do it...

You have to beat the red dragon before he falls off the cliff in order to get the talisman. As long as you kill him any time up to that point you're fine. Basically all B path bosses have a time limit before the game takes control away from you. I think there are 1 or 2 cases where you can still get a Talisman, but most of them you won't at that point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You have to beat the red dragon before he falls off the cliff in order to get the talisman. As long as you kill him any time up to that point you're fine. Basically all B path bosses have a time limit before the game takes control away from you. I think there are 1 or 2 cases where you can still get a Talisman, but most of them you won't at that point.
Really? I never once noticed a time limit in any of the other bosses... haha. Ohhh well we did fail at the Wraith the first time cause we ran out of statues to light, true. All the other B-path bosses are like that? I didn't notice at all. Does that mean that, say, after a few falls through the floor, the chimera "dies" and you don't get the talisman if you didn't kill it?

The red dragon was the hardest non-last boss for me, followed probably by uh... the beholder gazer, and the wraith and chimera the first time were a bitch but we trounced him on any subsequent questing. The gazer still gives me pains even when I'm overleveled though. Easiest B boss are probably the cyclops and the demon, they're kinda pathetic. I don't think I even used a single potion against the demon, he was such a pushover.

The last boss, oh man... we got it the first try (with two AI, an amazon and a dwarf who died pretty fast lol), but it was sooooo close. We took a Life prayer but they don't allow it. I failed to heal in time at my last life (got juggled through some fire I really wasn't sure how to dodge... I have level 3 evasion and still spamming r1 didn't really help... maybe probably I just suck though) and it was all in our fighter's hand. My boyfriend eventually spammed some air attack (cyclone maybe? not sure) but kept getting juggled by the skeletons, but at least he could block most of those ridiculous attacks that take all the screen. Still, he got the last hit on the dragon at... 7HP left. XD We always snort derisively whenever we find some piece of equipment that says "HP+7", but hey that made a difference this time! :D

maomaoIYP

How do you guys kill the Wrath under 2mins in Hard mode?
I found it impossible with my lvl56 amazon, I can kill the final boss on hard no problem but this Wrath... ;_;

Or should I level up a bit in inferno and come back?

It's easy as heck with the amazon. It's almost impossible with the sorc or wiz.
Incite rage, war paint, then brandish away.

Giolon

Really? I never once noticed a time limit in any of the other bosses... haha. Ohhh well we did fail at the Wraith the first time cause we ran out of statues to light, true. All the other B-path bosses are like that? I didn't notice at all. Does that mean that, say, after a few falls through the floor, the chimera "dies" and you don't get the talisman if you didn't kill it?

The red dragon was the hardest non-last boss for me, followed probably by uh... the beholder gazer, and the wraith and chimera the first time were a bitch but we trounced him on any subsequent questing. The gazer still gives me pains even when I'm overleveled though. Easiest B boss are probably the cyclops and the demon, they're kinda pathetic. I don't think I even used a single potion against the demon, he was such a pushover.

The last boss, oh man... we got it the first try (with two AI, an amazon and a dwarf who died pretty fast lol), but it was sooooo close. We took a Life prayer but they don't allow it. I failed to heal in time at my last life (got juggled through some fire I really wasn't sure how to dodge... I have level 3 evasion and still spamming r1 didn't really help... maybe probably I just suck though) and it was all in our fighter's hand. My boyfriend eventually spammed some air attack (cyclone maybe? not sure) but kept getting juggled by the skeletons, but at least he could block most of those ridiculous attacks that take all the screen. Still, he got the last hit on the dragon at... 7HP left. XD We always snort derisively whenever we find some piece of equipment that says "HP+7", but hey that made a difference this time! :D

Yeah, on I think the rabbit fight an army comes and kills him. On the Medusa, if you walk through the door to the right to "catch a breather" she always escapes at the subsequent battle, etc. As you said on the Wraith, you can run out of statues.

Congrats on the Ancient Dragon kill. That first time feels great. It took my friend and me like 5 or 6 times to get that initial kill.

kubricks

It's easy as heck with the amazon. It's almost impossible with the sorc or wiz.
Incite rage, war paint, then brandish away.

If I have points to spare on either parry or Incite rage, which one would be a better choice for inferno?

I find it difficult to built up berserk in inferno unless I parry (I have one point in it), it would seems easier if I have more points in it for longer IF... but is incite rage + more health a better option since it works better on boss where I can start the drill right away?

Velcro Fly

Using L to use items and things is so much better! Holy shit this cannot be understated.

Also feel like I burnt myself out on this game pretty hard. I can only do one or two stages with my elf on normal before I'm done. I started a few fresh characters. Have a lowbie sorceress, fighter, and amazon. Amazon seems slow as hell. Just been ditching my weapon and fighting unarmed. I have no idea if that's the suggested method of play.

I've named all my characters so far after video game stuff with the exception of the fighter. He's blonde so I named him after the Kingslayer.

Sorceress - Rydia from FFIV
Dwarf - Brann in honor of Brann Bronzebeard
Amazon - Alena from DQIV
Fighter - Jaime in honor of the Kingslayer
Elf - Chie because of those kicks

I did this for Etrian Odyssey IV too and it was really fun. Have not started a wizard yet so not sure what I'd name him. I could have also gone for Lulu for the sorceress in honor of FFX eventually coming out but Rydia will always be my favorite :)

About 35 hours or so into the game. I know I'll come back to it pretty hard soon enough.

maomaoIYP

If I have points to spare on either parry or Incite rage, which one would be a better choice for inferno?

I find it difficult to built up berserk in inferno unless I parry (I have one point in it), it would seems easier if I have more points in it for longer IF... but is incite rage + more health a better option since it works better on boss where I can start the drill right away?

Parry is a far better skill than incite rage. Incite rage is meant to be a desperation move when your health is low and you need just a little oomph to quickly boost your dps. I hope you don't have too many points in her air skills, the only one which is good is deadly revolution.

Bombless

Amazon seems slow as hell. Just been ditching my weapon and fighting unarmed. I have no idea if that's the suggested method of play.

That's terrible way to play the Amazon. Without her axe you can't parry and you can't perform Brandish. Kicks are a last resort, and with weapon switching you can even get around that. Well, unless you're a REALLY big fan of her butt stomp.

Edit : To clarify, yes, the amazon swings super slow for the first combo, but the swings faster and faster the more you chain combos without being hit. She can dodge cancel all of her moves and while spinning in Brandish she's invincible, so abuse that to the max :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Saw something neat on tumblr:

tumblr_mrxtnc3SwY1sn3f24o1_500.jpg

It's a cow eating grass!

Now I'm kind of tempted to create my own image-names.

Deitus

Yeah, on I think the rabbit fight an army comes and kills him. On the Medusa, if you walk through the door to the right to "catch a breather" she always escapes at the subsequent battle, etc. As you said on the Wraith, you can run out of statues.

Actually, for the rabbit, the army comes and "distracts" him. And by distracts him, I mean dies repeatedly. But this gives you time to use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch a stash of bombs that appears to finish him off. When they reference Monty Python, they definitely don't half ass it.

tumblr_mrxtnc3SwY1sn3f24o1_500.jpg

It's a cow eating grass!

Took me a couple of seconds to actually see it, but wow. There are no words.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Quick question since I'm 10 hours in and basically started yesterday. I've been burying/kicking npcs once they're a low level though I haven't sold much of my loot yet (I've sold some when I no longer deem it useful). I'm not going to end up paying for that later am I (ex: item/npc needed for a quest)?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How many of you know that if you tap many times on the more brilliant spots you get many bonuses?
I didn't read the manual because i wanted to play immediately, so i didn't know it and i don't even know if it's written lol

Deitus

How many of you know that if you tap many times on the more brilliant spots you get many bonuses?
I didn't read the manual because i wanted to play immediately, so i didn't know it and i don't even know if it's written lol

I didn't realize it at first either, and I eventually figured it out by accident.

Although, with the latest patch that is no longer necessary. Now the score bonuses will drop out rapidly as long as you have your cursor over the point. You can still miss out on some of the bonuses if you move your cursor away quickly and don't move it back, but you will still probably get a bunch due to the rate they drop out.

I'm level 59 and partied with my friend who's also level 59...both of us got creamed by the Ancient Dragon on hard. Just a lil' bit more to go....15% hp left. So close, yet so far.

Back to marathon xp runs for now!

Raist

Banned

Well there's no obvious time limit (as in a counter) but yeah all of them can be failed:

Chimera falls into lava
Kraken escapes by breaking the cave's pillars
Run out of candles for the wraith
Monk activates the holy seal and kills the Archdemon
Army "distracts" the killer rabbit
Army blasts the goblin door with canons
Medusa escapes
Red Dragon falls off the cliff

And I actually have no idea for the cyclops

Kamina

Golden Boy
It's crazy how strong Elf with maxed out Power Shot can be, insanely much DPS.

After reaching Lv.10 with the Dwarf i decided to play-through this one next. It's just awesome to throw around and body-slam enemies with that little naked Batman.

Elf - Astraea
Dwarf - Kagrenac
Figher - Talos

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've gotta say, I really like the Elf's movement. I think I might like it the best out of all the characters I've tried so far. (Lvl 90 Sorc, Lvl 20ish Fighter, Amazon)

Kamina

Golden Boy
When i first saw his cape like thing, the flying-body-slam attack and his ability to throw things around my first though was...BATMAN.

Good to know Elf's Power Shot is worth maxing out. I figured Clone Strike was her real strength, but I suppose Power Shot stacks with it, right?
Her skills kinda complement each other to some extent.
Powershot combined with Impact Arrow and Multishot is just deadly rain. If you have some points in Spacious Quiver even more so. Now add Toxic Extract or Salamander Oil and watch bosses melt away.

I feel really stupid, but I just realized the occasional "blue" thieves you encounter who drop a lot of score-boosting items (like the hidden items) are pretty much a tribute to those little imps you hit for power-ups between each Golden Axe level. I did notice the Golden Axe tribute with the beast-riding on day one, but the thieves only just registered yesterday.

Yep, one of the more obvious Golden Axe references. I wanted to name my amazon "Tyris=Flare" or a variation, but character limit made me settle on "Tyris".

Finally got around to playing this--put in about 4 hours so far. Am I the only person that has trouble visually keeping track of what is going on during battles? Everything just sort of blurs together in a flurry and it kinda give me a headache. Also, the combat feels super floaty (imo).

Neat little game, but I cant really say I'm having fun.

Disable the other three slots so that NPCs don't jump in. It's not only much clearer, it's also much more fun as you get to have all the glory for yourself. The game scales appropriately.

There's quite a bit of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding this. Revivals go up in price each time you revive for the current run only. Meaning, if you die and revive, but don't go back to town, the price will go up to something like 2-3x as much the second time, then 5-6x as much the second one. It becomes prohibitive soon, but again, it's only for the run; once you go back to town (via rest or defeat), it resets. The thing is that the base revive cost is a factor of your level as well, so that cost will go up slowly and unavoidably as you level up.

The other reason why revivals don't factor in too much is because when you reach a boss you typically have at least three lives, probably 5-6 depending on if you did easier dungeons before. Revivals get you back to one extra life (not even 2 like a base new run would), plus at that point you lose all your extra health (and possibly other food bonuses as well) so if a boss trampled all through your several lives before, even a couple of continues aren't going to help much, unless it's almost dead.

I actually love this system. It gives you a reason to pay attention and not screw up (unlike arcade ports with infinite continues) but also allows you to keep going for a bit if you want it badly enough.

It (revivals) gets more expensive the more you use it, same with the stables. I dont even bother reviving my npc's, screw'em.

As mentioned, revivals don't "permanently" go up. Stables are a straight factor of your level.

It gets more expensive the more you use it. I've only used one continue/revive thus far and it only asked for ~1500.

That's typical for the first revival on a run at around level 20-30, yep.

Thanks gents. A couple more revival questions.

Does reviving npc's increase how much it costs for you to revive?

I believe revival costs are independent per character. They certainly are per player. I've not used NPCs almost never, and I've never revived one, so I can't say for sure. Again, this was probably only relevant for you inc ase they persisted among runs.

Does reviving affect other characters? Like if I make a new character will it costs the same to revive them as my other character? I know money, loot, Rannie or whatever the hell his name is, that's all shared

As per what I mentioned about them resetting when going back to town, this is a non-issue, of course.

I think the stables are dependent on your level.

Correct.

It's a cow eating grass!

OK, that's awesome. I'm tempted too. :)

Quick question since I'm 10 hours in and basically started yesterday. I've been burying/kicking npcs once they're a low level though I haven't sold much of my loot yet (I've sold some when I no longer deem it useful). I'm not going to end up paying for that later am I (ex: item/npc needed for a quest)?

There's a quest that asks you to revive 30 sets of bones. It gives you 2 skill points and a lot of experience (enough to jump from 16 to 18, which is when I typically do it), so it's worth it doing with all your characters. I've already done it with all six of mine, and getting the bones themselves is not nearly as much of a bother as you would think. It's reviving and dismissing them one by one that's the worst part, but still manageable.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Today i have destroyed the
kraken
in matter of seconds! Really!
I use the amazon as an aerial character, but this time i was in front of it hitting faster and stronger, alone(the other two died) i killed it in seconds! It died exactly at the first wave, i was level 30 i think and if i'm not wrong it's level 27, so not a big difference!

Top Bottom