• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Finalow

yeah I guess you're right, finishing the game with all the characters is way longer. and I understand that it might get annoying after just a couple of times.

Once you've beaten the game with one character justmake sure to save some of the A &S gear for the next class you want to use. I started elf then used the gear I found for Wizard and since the Wizard, fighter, and dwarf all share it's best to play them in a row. I'll go Amazon next because she shares with elf then what's left from everyone goes to sorcereress. Seemed like the most efficient way to do business. Only took me around 6 - 7 hours to beat the game as dwarf once I was coasting on all of the left over gear.

So what level should I be at to
take out the Dragon and get that last orb?

I know I'm way behind most people, but I opted to play Tales of Xillia first.

maomaoIYP

So what exactly is the labyrinth of chaos or w/e? I just hit infernal.
It's a randomized dungeon. Each floor has 3 stages, bosses appear as random enemies. A surprise waits at floor 9 and then every 9th floor afterwards.
I've just solo-ed till floor 27 with my sorc, still not using the ufc belt. Its starting to get considerably challenging.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So what level should I be at to
take out the Dragon and get that last orb?

I know I'm way behind most people, but I opted to play Tales of Xillia first.

30+ and with either very strong NPCs or real Players.
Its pretty difficult to trim it down in the first room, but once you are down to about half you can take the road to the right. There it takes more damage but you have to be fast or else you'll run out of time.

30+ and with either very strong NPCs or real Players.
Its pretty difficult to trim it down in the first room, but once you are down to about half you can take the road to the right. There it takes more damage but you have to be fast or else you'll run out of time.

Yeah, I tried it at 31 but ran out of time. It still had about 1/3rd of its health. Amazon's warpaint seems to help, though.

Thanks.

Drizzt519

Banned
Meh, I dont need a sequel, just give me some good dlc and I'll be happy.

Anyone on Vita want to chain some dungeons with my sorceress? Hard mode. Im lvl 45 I think.

Begaria

I am so kicking myself for not picking up on the double hammer/double Grand Smash trick with the Dwarf. I didn't even consider the possibility of it! Man, this changes everything.

MooMoo

Meh, I dont need a sequel, just give me some good dlc and I'll be happy.

Anyone on Vita want to chain some dungeons with my sorceress? Hard mode. Im lvl 45 I think.
Like right now? What's your PSN ID? A little burnt out on this game even if I've only spent 40 hours so far. This game will have long legs though, definitely the type of game I could pick up a year from now and still feel completely comfortable with it.

Drizzt519

Banned
Yeah, now. In an hour, even two. Maybe tomorrow too. lol

Sorry, psn handle is Drizzt519.

p.s. My worst fears have come true. I bet like you, MooMoo, most others are already getting burnt out on this game. It makes me sad.

Sanctuary

Either everyone suddenly stopped playing this game after only three weeks, or the patch completely killed online. Used to have absolutely no problem grouping at any hour with a full random group, and people would quickly replace those that left.

Now it seems like you're lucky to get anything beyond a three party group if it's past 10pm. Most of the time now when I join randoms, after the first dungeon it turns into all NPCs. No matter how many games I join.

Giolon

Either everyone suddenly stopped playing this game after only three weeks, or the patch completely killed online. Used to have absolutely no problem grouping at any hour with a full random group, and people would quickly replace those that left.

Now it seems like you're lucky to get anything beyond a three party group if it's past 10pm. Most of the time now when I join randoms, after the first dungeon it turns into all NPCs. No matter how many games I join.

I think part of it is they put in a new option to play with only people from the "same area" and turned it on by default. I don't know what constitutes an "area." I'd assume release territory, but it could be even more localized than that like west-coast, Midwest, east-coast, etc. I set mine to All Areas, which was the original behavior, and I end up with Japanese players more often than US ones these days. My connectivity also seems to go in streaks at least as far as people joining my own games.

I will say that Normal difficulty seems more deserted compared to Hard or Inferno, and while it might be anecdotal it seems like it probably means that there's not much in the way of new players coming into the game.

I had been thinking about how over time the game will naturally get harder due to the drop off of other players and the increased difficulty of getting player bones.

Sanctuary

I think part of it is they put in a new option to play with only people from the "same area" and turned it on by default. I don't know what constitutes an "area." I'd assume release territory, but it could be even more localized than that like west-coast, Midwest, east-coast, etc. I set mine to All Areas, which was the original behavior, and I end up with Japanese players more often than US ones these days. My connectivity also seems to go in streaks at least as far as people joining my own games.

That's insanely helpful. Didn't know about that new option. As far as the game getting harder due to a lack of bones? I haven't played with anything but one Fighter NPC for the Infernal Ancient for a long time now on any character. You get plenty of random bones offline too though.

Just bought a vita and I'm really thinking of selling my ps3 version for the vita version. It's easier to grind on a handheld IMO. I the lack of screen real estate that big a deal?

Ive barely touched my ps3 version. Vita all the way. Game is just more fun/satisfying on the platform... in more digestible bites so to speak.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just got the PS3 version used for 10$ (with coupons and such)

Gotta say the art direction and graphics and soooo gooooood! I really love the style of everything, it feels like i am playing an anime or cartoon or something. Is there cross platform play?

Just got the PS3 version used for 10$ (with coupons and such)

Gotta say the art direction and graphics and soooo gooooood! I really love the style of everything, it feels like i am playing an anime or cartoon or something. Is there cross platform play?

Nope sorry
Just cross save

Giolon

Just bought a vita and I'm really thinking of selling my ps3 version for the vita version. It's easier to grind on a handheld IMO. I the lack of screen real estate that big a deal?

Ive barely touched my ps3 version. Vita all the way. Game is just more fun/satisfying on the platform... in more digestible bites so to speak.

It's totally 100% playable on Vita. There's a fair bit more slowdown, but nothing game breaking. I have both versions and use the Vita version on the go or when I feel like I'd rather play in bed. However, the game's artwork really needs an HDTV to stretch its legs. It feels so much less epic on the handheld screen (while still looking amazing).

Bombless

I was getting a bit burned out after taking Amazon to Inferno and Figher and Sorc into Hard but then Saints Row 4 came to the rescue. Once I beat that I'll be right in the holidays and will have plenty of time to boost the remaining characters.

Amazon still remains my main though!

So I finally got around to playing this again and just hit level 6 on my Amazon. What skills should I be lookin to get?

Here's what I posted earlier in the thread (along with some edits for more clarification). I'm not an expert Amazon by any means, as my main is Elf, so anyone can feel free to correct me.

Berserk, Adrenaline, War Paint. Deadly Revolution, Punisher, Adroit Hands (so you can quickly apply multiple class skill buffs), and finally BRANDIIIIIIISSSSSSH!!!!!!! These are required as an Amazon to be fully effective.

Then you can either go Incite Rage or Iron Will.

Incite Rage works fine on normal and hard but is a little more dangerous on Infernal and especially deep in LoC. It still has ridiculously amazing synergy with Adrenaline, though, so if you're skilled, then Incite Rage all you want. Iron Will is much safer overall and many people in floors 80+ of LoC seem to go with Iron Will instead of Incite Rage.

Don't bother with Neck Splitter because you can't evade out of it and it has a long recovery period where you're vulnerable, which can be a death sentence. Stun Wave is alright, but I didn't bother maxing it (I just leveled it as much as I needed to fulfill the requirements to max out Deadly Revolution).

Maybe this has already addressed, but 129 is a LOT of pages, so I will just ask here.

Can anyone explain why progress is only saved/advanced for player 1 of couch co-op? This seems to me like one of the most moronic decisions the devs could make.

My wife and I just finished normal difficulty with our 2 characters. Turns out she cannot select Hard mode. This absolutely kills any desire to continue the game. I cannot wrap my head around the idiocy.

Giolon

Maybe this has already addressed, but 129 is a LOT of pages, so I will just ask here.

Can anyone explain why progress is only saved/advanced for player 1 of couch co-op? This seems to me like one of the most moronic decisions the devs could make.

My wife and I just finished normal difficulty with our 2 characters. Turns out she cannot select Hard mode. This absolutely kills any desire to continue the game. I cannot wrap my head around the idiocy.

Don't know why, but it is what it is. It's not a great decision.

That said - if you're planning on tackling Hard, Inferno, Labyrinth of Chaos, etc. and completing all the quests, you're going to be running all the levels countless times anyways. What's a couple more set of run throughs? You can swap who's character is P1, grab some overleveled AI companions and blast through everything. If you're skipping side rooms, most levels take ~5 minutes each. The longest part will be to do all the initial story missions, which will take you about 2-3 hours much of which will be taken up by load times and skipping through dialogue. After that, you can chain run all 9 B paths in about 45 minutes.

FYI, I'm at 90 hours playtime taking my characters into Infernal, during which I've re-run all the quests w/ various characters, gone back to play with friends even though I may have already done stuff on that given character, wasted time level capped at 35 b/c I didn't know you had to in order to continue leveling, etc.

An extra 4 hours to get through Normal, and then an extra 45 minutes per difficulty in order to continue playing couch co-op w/ your SO? Really not that big of a deal IMO. But other people have thrown huge fits and said they'd quit playing over it, so obviously opinions vary.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I still think it's a very very stupid design decision, but my SO and I just powered through his P2 (where he was P1) and we mopped the floor constantly. Hell, at some point two of my bows broke (I had only 3 bags for chaining all 9 B paths, and was saving an "anti-dragon" bag for the red drake which we did last 'cause we wanted to accumulate lives... turns out we didn't even need them after all xD), and we still easily killed both his Wraith and his Archdemon despite my broken bows.

Even the ancient dragon was a joke with me at level 39 and him capped at 35.

Also, if you do any side-quests at all you're bound to repeat levels constantly to knock them off the list too. As Giolon said, it's not that bad, the game is repetitive but very addictive. But, it still remains a monumentally stupid decision, as it's bound to turn off some people. Pity.

ViviOggi

An extra 4 hours to get through Normal, and then an extra 45 minutes per difficulty in order to continue playing couch co-op w/ your SO? Really not that big of a deal IMO. But other people have thrown huge fits and said they'd quit playing over it, so obviously opinions vary.

Four hours? I didn't take the time but I'm positive that I was far quicker on subsequent characters. Just resurrect some high level skellingtons and ignore most of the secret areas, the bonus loot is crap in the beginning anyway.

Don't know why, but it is what it is. It's not a great decision.

That said - if you're planning on tackling Hard, Inferno, Labyrinth of Chaos, etc. and completing all the quests, you're going to be running all the levels countless times anyways. What's a couple more set of run throughs? You can swap who's character is P1, grab some overleveled AI companions and blast through everything. If you're skipping side rooms, most levels take ~5 minutes each. The longest part will be to do all the initial story missions, which will take you about 2-3 hours much of which will be taken up by load times and skipping through dialogue. After that, you can chain run all 9 B paths in about 45 minutes.

FYI, I'm at 90 hours playtime taking my characters into Infernal, during which I've re-run all the quests w/ various characters, gone back to play with friends even though I may have already done stuff on that given character, wasted time level capped at 35 b/c I didn't know you had to in order to continue leveling, etc.

A couple of run throughs? Granted, we completed all the first batch of quests before finishing normal mode, so it would be a lot faster to just rush through it now. This broken system frustrates me because I have already played each level what feels like a dozen times (5 quests at a time? ugh), only to find out that the game designers want us to double the time spent to advance more than one player. The devs do not respect my time, so that annoys me.

Probably be a super fast/lame way to level up multiple character if they let you save them in couch co-op.

And given the fact that 2 humans leveled up 2 different characters, I do not think it is too much to ask that the progress is saved for both characters.

Foxix Von

Ive got a bit of a weird question. Ive been playing the vita version for a bit now and I just snagged a copy for my girl as well. If I decided to pick up a PS3 copy would we be able to both transfer our saves over and continue our progress while playing together on my PS3?

Ive got a bit of a weird question. Ive been playing the vita version for a bit now and I just snagged a copy for my girl as well. If I decided to pick up a PS3 copy would we be able to both transfer our saves over and continue our progress while playing together on my PS3?

If you have different accounts (which I guess would be the case if you are each playing on different Vitas, together), then I'm afraid not. Basically you transfer the entire save associated with a PSN account. You cannot merge two different saves/accounts, from what I know.

Foxix Von

If you have different accounts (which I guess would be the case if you are each playing on different Vitas, together), then I'm afraid not. Basically you transfer the entire save associated with a PSN account. You cannot merge two different saves/accounts, from what I know.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Remarkably stupid decision on the developers part to not include that as a function. If they had patched that in, I would have gladly triple dipped.

Oh well =/

So after 90 hrs, and three endings I'm gonna take a break from SMTIV.

Thinking about getting DC. Seems like Gaf likes it. Have some questions first:

1-Hows the plot? Coming from SMTIV, I'd hate to deal with a non-plot.

2-are there things to do other than dungeon crawling? Towns to visit? Mini games?

3-what's the average game time?

4-Gametrailers review implies that you need to play online to beat the game?

Bombless

2-are there things to do other than dungeon crawling? Towns to visit? Mini games?

1 : Plot is extremely thin. This is a hack and slash game.

2 : No, just 1 town, 1 mini game that can randomly happen in the second half of the story between dungeon (while chaining runs)

3 : Average game time? To finish the game? Since it's hack&slash there is no real end. Not sure how long it takes to get to max level, probably around 20 hours per character?

4 : You can play from start to finish offline.

Usobuko

Banned
I think the recent patch fixes the issue of progression made by 2 local players. The other day me and my younger brother tried out Fighter and Sorceress and we made it all the way to ancient dragon in one sitting. It was shown that I unlocked both trophies for completing the game as these characters.

What I don't know is if these characters has to be on the same page before Route B is unlocked.

Kamina

Golden Boy

It's minimalistic and focuses on the first few hours.

There are sidequests you have to fulfill while dungeon crawling with regular visits to down. There is an occasional cooking mini-game when visiting several dungeons after another.

Hard to say. Its definitely possible to play through the main story in a several hours but you can level further when rising in difficulty and extend the playtime massively. Also the different classes are very different so you might want to try out another after playing with one for a long time.

You don't but you can and it's definitely fun to do so.

Giolon

1) It's the most basic Dungeon Master-like setup, basically just giving a framework for your adventures.

2) There's a cooking minigame that becomes available after every couple dungeons or floors while chaining through areas. There's also 50 quests to complete, basically all under the fetch this kill that variety but they reward artwork each which has an associated text that fleshes out the world a bit.

3) ~20 hours per character, but the basic playthrough for each is the same. Only the ending is different and related to your character.

4) You don't have to play online ever. It IS easier if you play with other people, and it IS easier if you play online (even disabling the ability for other people to join) because player bones have more equipment meaning you can use them for longer than the random computer generated ones. You also have the choice to play anywhere from completely solo (required for some quests) to using up to 3 AI players.

This is definitely an action-RPG that focuses more on the action and character-building portion of the spectrum rather than a gripping story.

Coming back to this game after much playing of SMT IV, M&L, and FE:A...

I don't think I ever cooked in DC. How do I even?

Once you unlock the ability to chain dungeons together it'll just show up at some point inbetween dungeons (not sure if it's random or if it happens when going into certain ones). From there you just use the touchscreen or cursor to move food into pots, stir/add extra stuff into them until they're ready to be put in the character's plates, then start tapping the screen/clicking the cursor over the plate to eat

1L84a87b.png

I can join the club now ;D

maomaoIYP

Just got my third lvl 99 character (elf). I still find the sorceress the most fun at max level. Gonna plug around the LoC for a bit then move onto the wiz (or not).

Top Bottom