• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maomaoIYP

Did you not take Adroit Hands or Vitality Boost? 5 maxed buff/attack skills means you didn't pick up something else; unless those all have unusually low requirements. Plus, you maxed Mental Absorb. As a Wizard, I never ever found it worthwhile.

At 99 I took 3 levels into vitality boost and 5 into nutritionist. I wasn't really getting hit much, and I have a bangle from the amazon's LoC that regens health per hit.
I don't need adroit hands, the sorc's spells are all about crowd control, there's no need to stack any of her spells (there's no slow + blaze equivalent for example). I only cast spells to get the mobs out of the way when I fight a boss, otherwise there's really no need for spells.

In other news, just cleared LoC 9-1 solo, and got a broom that boosts all spells by 50%. AWESOME.

web01

Are all bones you find with high revive costs hacked? Found a guy that costed like 50k while the rest at that level were around 2000.

Sanctuary

At 99 I took 3 levels into vitality boost and 5 into nutritionist. I wasn't really getting hit much, and I have a bangle from the amazon's LoC that regens health per hit.
I don't need adroit hands, the sorc's spells are all about crowd control, there's no need to stack any of her spells (there's no slow + blaze equivalent for example). I only cast spells to get the mobs out of the way when I fight a boss, otherwise there's really no need for spells.

In other news, just cleared LoC 9-1 solo, and got a broom that boosts all spells by 50%. AWESOME.

Yeah, after posting I wondered if your spellcasting was done so infrequently as to not really warrant Adroit Hands. Grats on the broom you'll rarely use the bonus for except against bosses! :p

orion434

After hearing about these "hacked" bones, my friend and I who play co-op together have been seeing bones that only say "q" this happens when there is just 1 pile of bones in a room. This is in EVERY game, if we turn off the system and turn it back on it's still only "q"

If we pick up these bones are we going to get screwed?

Bombless

After hearing about these "hacked" bones, my friend and I who play co-op together have been seeing bones that only say "q" this happens when there is just 1 pile of bones in a room. This is in EVERY game, if we turn off the system and turn it back on it's still only "q"

If we pick up these bones are we going to get screwed?

The message shown is simply what that player put as Death message, it doesn't mean anything special. You can only see if that char has been hacked or not when checking their equipment in the church.

And yes, the game seems to get a "stock" of bones from online games and will present them to you until you pick them up. Then it will refill the stock of available bones with new ones. I've been playing the Sorceress and animating all the bones I found, had the same messages for hours and hours, it got annoying tbh.

maomaoIYP

Yeah, after posting I wondered if your spellcasting was done so infrequently as to not really warrant Adroit Hands. Grats on the broom you'll rarely use the bonus for except against bosses! :p

I really love how the broom looks! It's unique amongst all her staffs. What do you wizards get?

Sanctuary

I really love how the broom looks! It's unique amongst all her staffs. What do you wizards get?

In order it's, +30% Concentrate for the first rod, +50% Slow effect (this is by far the best) for the second, then +50% spell damage on the last. And the reason I don't like the last is because it only affects "spells" from the books. While useful, the Slow rod affects the duration and more importantly, the radius. In LoC it's just awesome.

BTW, what item slot/spell did you give up when wearing the Conq belt (it looks like a WWF/UFC belt)? There's still only enough room for four spells, even with one rod. Or do you even bother wearing it right now? There's also something fishy going on with the seal, because it's supposed to increase your attack and defense stats and the difficulty in LoC doesn't seem to be increasing past level 9-10. The thing is, the belt is only supposed to work from the set you have it with, yet I am not noticing any difference between the three sets and they all have around the same damage reduction.

And unfortunately, to take 3/3 Leviation, I need to waste a point into another special skill. The only two to really choose from are Create Food and Curse. Neither of them would be getting more than a single point though, because there's no room. I'm using Protection, Blizzard, Rock Press and Gravity. The first time I used Rock Press was hilarious too. Room full of Mages; "Abracadabra", splat!

maomaoIYP

Do you need to go solo for the broom? I'm probably going to be finishing off infernal in the next day or so.
Nope, it's the reward for beating 9-1. You should get it as long as you beat it.
In order it's, +30% Concentrate for the first rod, +50% Slow effect (this is by far the best) for the second, then +50% spell damage on the last. And the reason I don't like the last is because it only affects "spells" from the books. While useful, the Slow rod affects the duration and more importantly, the radius. In LoC it's just awesome.

BTW, what item slot/spell did you give up when wearing the Conq belt (it looks like a WWF/UFC belt)? There's still only enough room for four spells, even with one rod. Or do you even bother wearing it right now? There's also something fishy going on with the seal, because it's supposed to increase your attack and defense stats and the difficulty in LoC doesn't seem to be increasing past level 9-10. The thing is, the belt is only supposed to work from the set you have it with, yet I am not noticing any difference between the three sets and they all have around the same damage reduction.

There's a staff that gives +50% boost to protection, but the regular protection is pretty much strong enough. The only other thing the sorceress gets that is considerably useful is +50% damage to enemies with a status ailment. But since she shares 2 accessories with the amazon I take those instead, which are infinitely better (+30% dmg when in air, and recover 1% health per hit.) When the screen is full of enemies, I can cast blizzard or gravity and basically get a free super-regeneration.
I give up curse for the UFC belt. It's the least useful spell I carry and I really only need it for fighting the teleporting pirates.

Sanctuary

(+30% dmg when in air)
Wait, is that right? Elsewhere it was posted that it affects airborne enemies. If it's when you are in the air, then that's pretty great. Plus, she also gets that 20% damage boost when at full health, which makes the amulet phenomenal.

I was thinking about leveling up an Amazon just for the amulet (for my sorry ass Fighter), but the bangle sounds crazy. You can't get +30% damage (at least not yet) off of a non "chaos" cross class item that is shared among both caster and non caster.

Oh, and it case this wasn't already realized; the rods you get are completely random just like all of the other gear. The only thing that's always the same is the yellow mod. Element and all of the other mods are random, so if you don't get the element you want, just do the floor again.

My buddy and I (Fighter and Wiz) are stuck on Hard-mode Ancient Dragon. Drop me your PSN name if you can carry us on the broad shoulders of your super-char, plx : ]

Einbroch

Banned
Ordered a Vita today, and added Dragon's Crown to my GameQ on Gamefly...

Two hours later, it's shipped! Let's do this! First game on my Vita will be this beauty.

maomaoIYP

Wait, is that right? Elsewhere it was posted that it affects airborne enemies. If it's when you are in the air, then that's pretty great. Plus, she also gets that 20% damage boost when at full health, which makes the amulet phenomenal.

I was thinking about leveling up an Amazon just for the amulet (for my sorry ass Fighter), but the bangle sounds crazy. You can't get +30% damage (at least not yet) off of a non "chaos" cross class item that is shared among both caster and non caster.

Oh, and it case this wasn't already realized; the rods you get are completely random just like all of the other gear. The only thing that's always the same is the yellow mod. Element and all of the other mods are random, so if you don't get the element you want, just do the floor again.

I think it doesn't just affect airborne enemies, I'll test it in a bit. I do notice that my damage goes through the roof when I'm firing things from the air. I'm trying to farm an ice broom, already have a fire and a lightning one.
edit: Is testing damage on Rannie reliable?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am i the only one who thinks that if you have an adequate level for the boss the game is more enjoyable alone or at least with less than 3 allies, especially if they are not the magic users or the dwarf, because they make the game more chaotic?
With less allies you play "more" and ironically i have the impression that there are even less deaths.

I think it doesn't just affect airborne enemies, I'll test it in a bit. I do notice that my damage goes through the roof when I'm firing things from the air. I'm trying to farm an ice broom, already have a fire and a lightning one.

Honestly I don't think testing on Rannie is reliable. My +50% Clone Strike damage bow does the same damage to him as my regular bow with a similar damage range.

Sanctuary

Usually. The only time he's not been on a Wizard was in regards to Fire Ward.

Honestly I don't think testing on Rannie is reliable. My +50% Clone Strike damage bow does the same damage to him as my regular bow with a similar damage range.

No ignore armor/+dmg humans mod on the second? Anyway, if you don't trust Rannie (he's been pretty reliable for me), just go to the Lost Woods. It's probably the fastest way to encounter an enemy at the start. Plus they are slow.

Usually. The only time he's not been on a Wizard was in regards to Fire Ward.

No ignore armor/+dmg humans mod on the second? Anyway, if you don't trust Rannie (he's been pretty reliable for me), just go to the Lost Woods. It's probably the fastest way to encounter an enemy at the start. Plus they are slow.

Nope. Damage against demons on the 2nd. So unless Rannie is secretly demon spawn, it shouldn't be doing the same damage.

The +50$ clone strikes bow crits for around 16k and the other bow crits for around 15.5k.

Sanctuary

Nope. Damage against demons on the 2nd. So unless Rannie is secretly demon spawn, it shouldn't be doing the same damage.

The +50$ clone strikes bow crits for around 16k and the other bow crits for around 15.5k.

Someone was having a similar issue with a lower listed damage wand that had a bonus on undead. It was doing more damage against Rannie.

maomaoIYP

Okay I tested it, I'm 100% sure that the +30% damage bonus in air from the amazon's bangle doesn't work on grounded opponents. That makes me sad =(

Sanctuary

On the bright side, you've been using it all of this time without too much benefit (oh boy, Imps, Wasps and whatever you happen to catch with a cyclone). That just means you can wear the status effect bracer.
The other just sounded like it was for Amazon air comboing an enemy.

I can already tell the toughest part of playing elf is going to be firing arrows in the same plane as your enemy - hopefully that becomes second.

Can anyone tell me what Rannie's "level" indicates?

Sanctuary

I can already tell the toughest part of playing elf is going to be firing arrows in the same plane as your enemy - hopefully that becomes second.

Can anyone tell me what Rannie's "level" indicates?

LOL. That's the most annoying thing about playing a Wizard or Sorceress too. That's why often (especially in groups), I'll just fire off Magic Missles since they home, or I'll just port to enemies and use the up + O ground attacks since they have larger than "paper thin" hitboxes. The Red Dragon in his room is by far the dumbest enemy in the game when it comes to hitting the same plane his hurtbox (head) is on. His body fills up the entire room and he can hit you with his tail (back plane) and his claws (mid plane) or his head (front plane), yet you can only hit him on one of those planes.

Man, RPG just has almost no meaning in video games, does it?

It's got all the traditional elements of an RPG -- levels, gear, classes, character customization, dialog choices -- the list goes on.

Sure, many other modern games have some of these elements as well, but that doesn't make Dragon's Crown any less of an RPG.

Giolon

1.01 Patch is out on Vita at least and PS3 in NA.

Notes:

• Increased online connection stability
  • Hidden items will now appear by moving the cursor over them.
  • Additional access to the hotkey menu has been added. Hold the L1 button to access the items set in your equipment for quick use.
  • Daggers and bombs may now be thrown at an angle with the Left Stick Up + Triangle button
  • Added an option in Morgan's Magic Item Shop to repair all equipment in all bags.
  • Other system fixes such as improved controls and enhanced functions have been implemented.

RangerBAD

Didn't someone say the patch made the Japanese version worse online? I'm just glad I'm not doing multiplayer since I'm just finishing up the character trophies for the platinum.

Anyone have a really good Dwarf build? I have no idea what skills to upgrade, I'm kind of all over the map at the moment:

Power Bomb 5/10
Lethal Fists 5/10
Eagle Dive 1/5
Grand Smash 2/5
Frenzy 2/5
Magma Infusion 2/5
Trinket Maniac 1/10

Evasion 1/3
Deep Pockets 1/3
Money is Power 1/5 (oops...)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You need to manually go to PSN to download the patch? (For Vita)

Anyways, so what's the ideal equip setup for sorceress/wizard?

Stacking spell books and elemental staff, sacrificing slots for armor equipments? 1 staff, multiple spell books, but armor equipments in between?

My Sorc, I use 1x staff/wand, 1x necklace, 1x earrings, 1x ring/bracelet and 5 slots of spells.

The spells I have for each bag are Protection, Create Food, Blizzard, Rock Press and Gravity.

Each bag has different element of wand. I have 9 bags, so each element has 3 set ups.

LOL. That's the most annoying thing about playing a Wizard or Sorceress too. That's why often (especially in groups), I'll just fire off Magic Missles since they home, or I'll just port to enemies and use the up + O ground attacks since they have larger than "paper thin" hitboxes. The Red Dragon in his room is by far the dumbest enemy in the game when it comes to hitting the same plane his hurtbox (head) is on. His body fills up the entire room and he can hit you with his tail (back plane) and his claws (mid plane) or his head (front plane), yet you can only hit him on one of those planes.

It's definitely a different experience from the Dwarf - feels like an entirely different game.

Can anyone attest to the usefulness of the Elf's dagger-based skills? Is Backstab very effective?

Anyone have a really good Dwarf build? I have no idea what skills to upgrade, I'm kind of all over the map at the moment:
Put as many points into Grand Smash as you can. Be sure to invest in Bomb Satchel and Powder Mastery as well.

Notes:

• Additional access to the hotkey menu has been added. Hold the L1 button to access the items set in your equipment for quick use.
  • Daggers and bombs may now be thrown at an angle with the Left Stick Up + Triangle button
  • Added an option in Morgan's Magic Item Shop to repair all equipment in all bags.
  • Other system fixes such as improved controls and enhanced functions have been implemented.
Yaaaaaay!

Stacking spell books and elemental staff, sacrificing slots for armor equipments? 1 staff, multiple spell books, but armor equipments in between?
The big debate is between using 5 spell books + all gear and using 3-4 spellbooks + all gear + multiple staff elements for situational fights.

Giolon

I got a notification that popped up on the system home page for the game.

Ultimadrago

Notes:

Good news!

Power Bomb 5/10
Lethal Fists 5/10
Eagle Dive 1/5
Grand Smash 2/5
Frenzy 2/5
Magma Infusion 2/5
Trinket Maniac 1/10

Evasion 1/3
Deep Pockets 1/3
Money is Power 1/5 (oops...)

Mine at Level 99 with all quests completed and on floor 10+ in Chaos Labyrinth (with still quite a few points leftover for now)

Personal:

Power Bomb 10/10
Lethal Fists 0/10
Eagle Dive 1/5 (And I'm still not sure I should've picked it up)
Grand Smash 5/5
Frenzy 0/5
Bomb Satchel 3/5
Fire Barrel 0/5
Magma Infusion 0/5
Powder Mastery 7/10
Trinket Maniac 0/10
Rock Skin 5/5
Toughness 5/5

Common:

Slide Attack 0/5
Wealth to Health 1/5
Vitality Boost 8/10
Nutritionist 5/5
Maintenance 0/5
Adroit Hands 7/7 (For Chain Grand Smashing)
Evasion 1/3
Deep Pockets 3/3 (For two weapons and plenty of potions if they are needed)

Ultimadrago

Ultimadrago, why don't you like Frenzy?

I simply don't use fists a lot. I prefer controlling the crowds with tosses and the occasional bomb. That said, I've heard Magma Inf. + Frenzy is a killer combo. However, I prefer to not rely on Dwarf's fisticuffs (especially in the Labyrinth).

Noticed the "recap" you get when you exit every building in town is only voiced once now, right after returning from the last quest. Only the test pops up upon exiting the temple or Lucain's or what have you.

Mine at Level 99 with all quests completed and on floor 10+ in Chaos Labyrinth (with still quite a few points leftover for now)

Personal:

Power Bomb 10/10
Lethal Fists 0/10
Eagle Dive 1/5 (And I'm still not sure I should've picked it up)
Grand Smash 5/5
Frenzy 0/5
Bomb Satchel 3/5
Fire Barrel 0/5
Magma Infusion 0/5
Powder Mastery 7/10
Trinket Maniac 0/10
Rock Skin 5/5
Toughness 5/5

Common:

Slide Attack 0/5
Wealth to Health 1/5
Vitality Boost 8/10
Nutritionist 5/5
Maintenance 0/5
Adroit Hands 7/7 (For Chain Grand Smashing)
Evasion 1/3
Deep Pockets 3/3 (For two weapons and plenty of potions if they are needed)

Higher levels of Eagle Dive has you drop bombs to the ground while doing the dive.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Noticed the "recap" you get when you exit every building in town is only voiced once now, right after returning from the last quest. Only the test pops up upon exiting the temple or Lucain's or what have you.

OH MY GOD.

Really?

FINALLY!

This stuff FUCKING annoys me to NO end! Need the Elf narrator voice to counter this stupidity, but thankfully this will make any other voice (except Wizard, can't stand Yuri's voice :\) much more bearable.

Ultimadrago

Higher levels of Eagle Dive has you drop bombs to the ground while doing the dive.

I know. I'm still not huge on the move as you can't cancel it with anything and a slight slip sends me across the room accidentally. I've had uses for its triple jump in the past though; it has done me a solid in those occasions.

Top Bottom