• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

bkw

Just started playing this weekend.

How are you guys managing your bags? Put all your best gear in one, then second best in the next, etc? Or is there a smarter strategy? Are bags like loadouts such that when my gear is close to breaking I should swap bags when given the opportunity?

Still trying to figure out to managing my gear.

GorillaJu

How are you guys managing your bags? Put all your best gear in one, then second best in the next, etc? Or is there a smarter strategy? Are bags like loadouts such that when my gear is close to breaking I should swap bags when given the opportunity?

I have an anti-undead bag, an anti-dragon bag, an anti-nature bag, etc. that I use depending on the stage.

Giolon

I have an anti-undead bag, an anti-dragon bag, an anti-nature bag, etc. that I use depending on the stage.

I cannot be arsed to organize my bags that much, lol. Basically yeah, I try to build the best sets I have. When I'm chaining the normal levels, I just start from the top and work my way to the bottom. There's nothing that hard out there that my gear is going to make a huge difference.

If it's Labyrinth of Chaos, I start with the weakest gear bag, and work my way up every 3 or so floors, depending on how item usage and durability is lasting me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am too lazy to truly make anti-type bags, but I do have an anti-dragon bag 'cause, well, the two major dragon bosses (other than the pathetically easy Wyvern) are a pain and I like to stack the odds in my favour.

anddo0

Best to worst. However, one anti-dragon bag is a must. I usually don't use bag-1 (anti-dragon).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I REALLY love this game, i would like to platinum it, but man finishing it 8 times(normal 6 times + 1 for hard and infernal) it's too much :( especially now that eu ps+ gave me new little king's story and stealth inc...

MrBS

Finally got my PS3 copy in the mail. After a couple hours vita is coiming away the clear winner. I might give the PS3 extra points when I try out some couch coop.

I keep finding conflicting info on what Verna's Blessing does. Does it increase the items you get from chests or does it give a higher chance of getting the rarer glowing items?

I'm getting close to level 99 so I've started using the Skill Calculator to plan out my final build. I'm planning to do something with the following skills and I would appreciate feedback:

Mental Absorb Lv1 MP recovered +15
Extract Lv6 MP recovered +15
Concentrate Lv5(MAX) MP charge speed +30%
Spirit Up Lv5(MAX) Max MP +150
Ice Prison Lv3(MAX) Uses: 9 Power: 75
Protection Lv5(MAX) Uses: 5 Duration: 40 s
Rock Press Lv7(MAX) Uses:9 Power: 875
Blizzard Lv5(MAX) Uses: 5 Power: 50 Duration:10
Animate Skeleton Lv5(MAX) Skeleton's LV: 100%
Levitation Lv3(MAX) Magic Dealt damage 50 while in air
Create Food Lv5(MAX) Number of uses: 9
Curse Lv3(MAX) Number of uses: 9 Activated magic 3
Nutritionist Lv1 Recovery Amount +20%
Adroit Hands Lv4 Item use cooldown -25%
Evasion Lv3(MAX) Number of evasions +3
Deep Pockets Lv3(MAX) Number of Bag slots: 10

Recently though I started experimenting with the different magic rings and scrolls and that has me reconsidering my build. I knew that the magic from the items was affected by your character's stats, but up to this point I hadn't tested them since I assumed my spells would outclass them;that turned out to be far from correct. Strangely, there does not seem to be a Lightning Scroll even though the attack it should have would be the one from the Tri-Elemental Blast Rune Spell.

The best example of this is the Blaze Ring (the strongest fire ring) that shoots several large fire balls. The damage from just two or three of the fire balls exceeds the damage from my maxed Rock Press. I was already on the fence about Rock Press since I'm not a huge fan of the spell. Seeing how the damage from the rings and scrolls matches up against it has me considering not using Rock Press at all and instead using a ring or scroll as my main damage dealer. That would give me a lot more skill points to distribute and looks like it would be even stronger, especially with equipment builds that increase the damage of certain elements.

Even the lowest level rings do respectable damage compared to max Rock Press considering that they have about 20 uses. Additionally, rings/scrolls have next to no cool down time even with no levels of Adroit Hands. For example, even the Blaze Ring is half way cooled down by the time the attack animation is finished. I'm going to think about it some more, but I've just about decided to drop Rock Press. Rings/scrolls offer more variety and even make Skeletons viable if I feel like running a party heal ring.

Has anyone else experimented with this? What are your thoughts?

maomaoIYP

I'm getting close to level 99 so I've started using the Skill Calculator to plan out my final build. I'm planning to do something with the following skills and I would appreciate feedback:

Has anyone else experimented with this? What are your thoughts?

I haven't played around with the rings, but with regards to your skills, you have 6 spells so I assume you drop an accessory? I prefer to have just 5 spells and a full loadout. I find extract useless, gravity much better than ice prison, and I'd rather max nutritionist and drop create food. 1 point into evasion is all I need and I don't need adroit hands.

halfbeast

Banned
trying to beat the last boss (or at least I hope it's the last one) - can people join you? do you have to wait before you enter the area or after you entered it? my AI companions do like pretty much nothing (other than dying). it's a bit frustrating and don't feel like grinding for more gear/bones.

I haven't played around with the rings, but with regards to your skills, you have 6 spells so I assume you drop an accessory? I prefer to have just 5 spells and a full loadout. I find extract useless, gravity much better than ice prison, and I'd rather max nutritionist and drop create food. 1 point into evasion is all I need and I don't need adroit hands.

I agree about having 5 spells, which is another reason why I'm considering dropping Rock Press. I'm firm about keeping Protection, Create Food, and Blizzard. Maxed out Curse is incredibly useful for crowd control. Ice Prison is useful for crowd control, but also on some bosses too.

I decided to go with Ice Prison over Gravity because of its additional damage, ability to block projectiles, and the damage boost it gets from +Ice equipment since I prefer the Ice Staff and I always equip Blizzard.

It seems like it makes the most sense to have only 5 spells so I can run them all while having all of the different types of equipment.

I know opinions on Animate Skeleton are fairly mixed, but maxed out it can be quite useful and it doesn't take up a spell slot. If I'm going to keep this skill, it seems like one of them that needs to be at max level. If I drop Rock Press I may do some builds with healing rings to heal the party as well as Skeletons.

I've been using Nutritionist at level 1 since that seems to get the job done alongside Create Food, but I am open to increasing the level. I am unsure what would be an appropriate level to put Adroit Hands at, especially if I don't keep Rock Press.

The best example of this is the Blaze Ring (the strongest fire ring) that shoots several large fire balls. The damage from just two or three of the fire balls exceeds the damage from my maxed Rock Press. I was already on the fence about Rock Press since I'm not a huge fan of the spell. Seeing how the damage from the rings and scrolls matches up against it has me considering not using Rock Press at all and instead using a ring or scroll as my main damage dealer. That would give me a lot more skill points to distribute and looks like it would be even stronger, especially with equipment builds that increase the damage of certain elements.

Even the lowest level rings do respectable damage compared to max Rock Press considering that they have about 20 uses. Additionally, rings/scrolls have next to no cool down time even with no levels of Adroit Hands. For example, even the Blaze Ring is half way cooled down by the time the attack animation is finished. I'm going to think about it some more, but I've just about decided to drop Rock Press. Rings/scrolls offer more variety and even make Skeletons viable if I feel like running a party heal ring.

ShinobiMuramasa, thank you, you gave me almost just what I was looking for. I am level 62 or so with my Sorceress. I was wanting to know what high level builds were like, with damage output and all that. I have all my respec potions, been saving them up. I have Extract and Mental Absorb close to maxed, though I may be rethinking one or both those. Shield, concentrate, create food, curse, rock press and leviathan are maxed as well. I’ve got some common skills, such as food boost, and the deep pockets, and extra health.

I will say though, I have 0 skills in the following: Evade not sure she needs extra air dodges, but all time in the air is good time I guess…Skeletons – Screw them. No full screen spells, as I feel I could better spend my skill points. No petrify, no adroit hands. I guess I’ll max out my char, use a respect, then get max out what I want, then go nuts with the rest.

Outstanding news on the rings, though, as they may replace my Rock Press as well. I have to admit, I really enjoy seeing that boulder come crashing down as fast as it does, and doing all that damage. I always get a kick out of it.

SRG01

A bit late to be asking this question, but entering hard mode right from normal is kicking my ass. The harpy fight was so unfair that I had a lot of difficulty completing it without reviving my characters. What should I be doing to prep for hard mode?

I was level 35 by the way. The game told me I hit the level cap?

Ultimadrago

A bit late to be asking this question, but entering hard mode right from normal is kicking my ass. The harpy fight was so unfair that I had a lot of difficulty completing it without reviving my characters. What should I be doing to prep for hard mode?

Labyrinth of Chaos. Venture the first 3 floors it allows you to complete until you are strong enough.

Also complete any quests you may be missing on Normal so you can get the most Skill Points into your character for the task.

Giolon

After you've beaten the Infernal Dragon, the 35 Level cap is removed BUT while on Normal, your Stats will cap out @ Level 35 values, so you can continue to level for a little bit on Normal. However, the XP curve starts to get pretty crazy such that getting past about Level 37 w/o quests is going to get incredibly grindy.

That said, some of the quests that open up once you beat the game on Normal give large amounts of XP, particularly the quests to solo some of the bosses like the
Kraken
. You can continue doing quests on any difficulty.

Labyrinth of Chaos also becomes available.

casmith07

Maybe I'm mentally challenged but I just recently started playing (Lv 5 Sorceress) and I can't figure out how to cast the spells I've added through skill points?

Also, are there any low level people who would like to play online sometime?

Drizzt519

Banned
Well, you have to equipe the spells that you unlock, in your bag. Im not sure if you have access that yet. But when you do and yoh equip them you use (default) left or right on the d-pad to select a spell, then down on the d-pad to cast it.

Finalow

Maybe I'm mentally challenged but I just recently started playing (Lv 5 Sorceress) and I can't figure out how to cast the spells I've added through skill points?

Also, are there any low level people who would like to play online sometime?
those spells have to be equipped and you use them the same way you use a potion.
you can play online only after you've finished the game on normal.

Giolon

So, if I'm reading that correctly, the NA version has no japanese narrator? Not even in the DLCs?

Correct. Only Japanese character voices are available. No reason has been given by Atlus for the omission. (The usual causes are licensing issues or size, not because they're stupid and/or hate us. Given how little narrated dialogue there is in general, I can only imagine licensing issues or cost are the case here.) Character voices are what you'll be hearing 90% of the time anyway (and they're pretty great).

Prelude.

Correct. Only Japanese character voices are available. No reason has been given by Atlus for the omission. (The usual causes are licensing issues or size, not because they're stupid and/or hate us. Given how little narrated dialogue there is in general, I can only imagine licensing issues or cost are the case here.) Character voices are what you'll be hearing 90% of the time anyway.

Dammit, Atlus gonna Atlus.

Well, hopefully NISA manage to put them in.
Realistically, they won't either.

By the way, there seems to be a misconception that either the stage order (after you pick one via stables, or pick a random starting point via the gate), or the cooking minigame are random. Not so; the minigame appears after three specific stages, and the stages themselves always follow a preset, cyclical order. To be specific, the left to right order in the dungeon selection screen (also the same order the orbs are arranged on your status screen):

Ghost Ship Cove -> Cooking minigame
Bilbaron Subterranean Fortress
Castle of the Dead: Catacombs
Ancient Temple Ruins -> Cooking minigame
Wallace's Subterranean Labyrinth
Forgotten Sanctuary
Old Capital -> Cooking minigame
Mage's Tower
Lost Woods

This means you get the cooking minigame exactly ever three stages. This is also why boss ingredients can only appear on certain "cooking tables": since the closest cooking minigame to Lost Woods is Ghost Ship Cove, every time you see Gazer Eyes as an ingredient it will be in a "seafood" table.

Additionally, and perhaps more obviously, Chaos Labyrinth has the cooking minigame every three bosses, i.e. at floor transitions.

This information might be useful for you to plan your quests accordingly. I just completed five quests in a single, two dungeon run; feels good. :D

ShinobiMuramasa, thank you, you gave me almost just what I was looking for. I am level 62 or so with my Sorceress. I was wanting to know what high level builds were like, with damage output and all that. I have all my respec potions, been saving them up. I have Extract and Mental Absorb close to maxed, though I may be rethinking one or both those. Shield, concentrate, create food, curse, rock press and leviathan are maxed as well. I’ve got some common skills, such as food boost, and the deep pockets, and extra health.

I will say though, I have 0 skills in the following: Evade not sure she needs extra air dodges, but all time in the air is good time I guess…Skeletons – Screw them. No full screen spells, as I feel I could better spend my skill points. No petrify, no adroit hands. I guess I’ll max out my char, use a respect, then get max out what I want, then go nuts with the rest.

Outstanding news on the rings, though, as they may replace my Rock Press as well. I have to admit, I really enjoy seeing that boulder come crashing down as fast as it does, and doing all that damage. I always get a kick out of it.

Great, I'm glad my post was helpful. I would definitely reconsider not putting anything into Evade. Increasing the level doesn't just increase the number of air dodges, it increases the length of time you can hold dodge on the ground and remain invincible. The length of time is quite long at max level, so it's worth checking out.

Also increasing your number of air dodges allows you more air attacks, whether it is the Magic Missile or staff attack. This drastically increases the amount of damage you can do per second and really makes Magic Missile shine. This allows you jump attack, double jump attack, levitation attack, and attack for each additional air dodge you have. Combine that with staves that increase the number of Magic Missiles you fire per shot (max is 5 I believe), you're looking at more than 20 homing shots fired in quick succession.

Moonlight

Banned
Just managed to pick the game up. Mostly just messing around a bit as the Elf, and I have to say, I'm really digging her. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, though. Any tips on where I should be putting my skill points as her and what I should be doing? I, uh, can't see my gut taking me that far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
By the way, there seems to be a misconception that either the stage order (after you pick one via stables, or pick a random starting point via the gate), or the cooking minigame are random. Not so; the minigame appears after three specific stages, and the stages themselves always follow a preset, cyclical order.
Indeed, I've actually noted this order, and their corresponding bosses and levels on my phone, so I can consult the list for side-quest and/or talisman planning. I googled this initially and was baffled to not find an easily accessible list somewhere so I made my own.

To add to your useful list, here are the corresponding bosses and levels (I didn't note the normal mode A path levels, cause it's linear anyway and they all turn to level 17 once you clear them, so when I don't remember I just wrote ?), in order of the cycling "map" when you chain dungeons. The boss levels shown are, in order, normal mode and hard mode. I don't have the Inferno levels cause I haven't reached this part yet, sorry.

Ghost Ship Cove -> Cooking minigame
A: Pirates: ?, 42
B: Kraken: 26, 56

Bilbaron Subterranean Fortress
A: Minotaur: ?, 41
B: Gargoyle Gate: 22, 54

Castle of the Dead: Catacombs
A: Vampire: ?, 42
B: Wraith: 25, 55

Ancient Temple Ruins -> Cooking minigame
A: Harpy: 1, 40
B: Medusa: 18, 50

Wallace's Subterranean Labyrinth
A: Doom Bettle: ?, 41
B: Cyclops: 20, 51

Forgotten Sanctuary
A: Golem: ?, 43
B: Archdemon: 28, 59

Old Capital -> Cooking minigame
A: Wyvern: ?, 40
B: Red Dragon: 30, 60

Mage's Tower
A: Warlock: ?, 44
B: Chimera: 27, 58

Lost Woods
A: Gazer: ?, 45
B: Killer Rabbit: 23, 54

Hope someone finds this useful. Feel free to complete with Normal A levels and Inferno levels. ^^

maomaoIYP

I agree about having 5 spells, which is another reason why I'm considering dropping Rock Press. I'm firm about keeping Protection, Create Food, and Blizzard. Maxed out Curse is incredibly useful for crowd control. Ice Prison is useful for crowd control, but also on some bosses too.

I decided to go with Ice Prison over Gravity because of its additional damage, ability to block projectiles, and the damage boost it gets from +Ice equipment since I prefer the Ice Staff and I always equip Blizzard.

It seems like it makes the most sense to have only 5 spells so I can run them all while having all of the different types of equipment.

I know opinions on Animate Skeleton are fairly mixed, but maxed out it can be quite useful and it doesn't take up a spell slot. If I'm going to keep this skill, it seems like one of them that needs to be at max level. If I drop Rock Press I may do some builds with healing rings to heal the party as well as Skeletons.

I've been using Nutritionist at level 1 since that seems to get the job done alongside Create Food, but I am open to increasing the level. I am unsure what would be an appropriate level to put Adroit Hands at, especially if I don't keep Rock Press.

My build is really for LoC since there's nothing left to do in the main game after you've hit 99. There's barely any bone piles in the LoC, making animate skeleton a waste of points. I don't find Adroit hands useful for the sorceress because there's no real need to stack her spells. The spells work great independently and she's more of a character aimed at survival (protection, fast levitation, status spells etc) instead of high dps (unlike the wizard). As for blocking projectiles, the up + circle on the ice staff is really all that I need. Gravity makes short work of all mobs since they're all grouped together and you can just jump attack with impunity.

kubricks

So... this is my first experience of receiving "Recall" on a game! ;-/

Apparently, all Region-3 Dragon's Crown cannot be updated to 1.01 patch is due to the Card's problem, this effect all R3 games sold in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.
You have to physically return the copy to their CS center and exchange to a revised version.

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/cht/newsdetail?id=1016

God damnit Sony, what the fuck is this shit?!
Suck for those who import from these region.... I guess they are in minority here in this forum, anyway.

bkw

So for those with anti dragon bag setups, what is that exactly? Is there gear with bonus damage to dragons?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So... this is my first experience of receiving "Recall" on a game! ;-/

Apparently, all Region-3 Dragon's Crown cannot be updated to 1.01 patch is due to the Card's problem, this effect all R3 games sold in Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.
You have to physically return the copy to their CS center and exchange to a revised version.

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/cht/newsdetail?id=1016

God damnit Sony, what the fuck is this shit?!
Suck for those who import from these region.... I guess they are in minority here in this forum, anyway.

English version of the notice;
http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/newsdetail?id=1016

Quoted "After our investigation, we found the cause in the master data of Dragon's Crown (English Version) for Asia version that we cannot fix by the Update."

I personally know quite a lot of people suffering from this problem, and they have *absolutely no way* to get a refund/replacement.

Goddamn thank God I got the game from PSN US.

Anyways, the +% damage on equipment, they affect *all* equipments on a particular character or just that particular equipment only? Also they effect *all* enemy types, correct? The same with -% damage?

bkw

+ damage to dragons and/or - damage from dragons and fire resistance.
Ah, okay. Thanks! Guess I haven't seen anything drop with that stat yet.

That asian recall is strange. Looking at the symptoms, it's kinda surprising that the game passed certification.

Sanctuary

Also increasing your number of air dodges allows you more air attacks, whether it is the Magic Missile or staff attack. This drastically increases the amount of damage you can do per second and really makes Magic Missile shine. This allows you jump attack, double jump attack, levitation attack, and attack for each additional air dodge you have. Combine that with staves that increase the number of Magic Missiles you fire per shot (max is 5 I believe), you're looking at more than 20 homing shots fired in quick succession.

The Sorceress can sort of make use of Evade for Missle spam, but it's nowhere near as effective as how the Wizard does it by simply Levitating. The problem with using Evade is that it very often puts you just out of range for the Missles to actually be able to track, so it's wasted. Missles stop being useful too when soloing or duoing. Their main use was to easily hit Mages when the screen is filled with garbage in a four player game. You don't need that to take care of them though. You just teleport next to them. For the more dangerous enemies, the Sorcerss has an even easier method; simply toss a charge attack from the air that hits the ground once or twice, then do her Levi-slide past them and fire again as soon as she turns around. Pretty much no melee enemies can hit her when she's doing that. It also makes the Gazer a complete joke.

The main way to DPS with a Wizard and Sorceress anyway against larger enemies, especially bosses is to use either use a Fire or Ice rod and use their hold up + charge O attacks in the air. On average you can get four of those per jump without even trying. When you're actually focused on those however, you can do up to seven before landing to recharge mana.

Anyways, the +% damage on equipment, they affect *all* equipments on a particular character or just that particular equipment only? Also they effect *all* enemy types, correct? The same with -% damage?

What do you mean? It would have to be cumulative damage or it wouldn't make any sense to have that stat on things like belts and earrings. If you're asking if wearing a belt that has +damage in one bag would affect you while you're wearing gear from another bag, no.

As far as what it affects, the generic +%dmg affects both physical and elemental damage and it works on every enemy type. Same with the generic damage reduction. That's why when you find those that are specialized by genus or element, they typically come in a much higher value.

Sanctuary

The Sorceress can sort of make use of Evade for Missle spam, but it's nowhere near as effective as how the Wizard does it by simply Levitating. The problem with using Evade is that it very often puts you just out of range for the Missles to actually be able to track, so it's wasted. Missles stop being useful too when soloing or duoing. Their main use was to easily hit Mages when the screen is filled with garbage in a four player game. You don't need that to take care of them though. You just teleport next to them. For the more dangerous enemies, the Sorcerss has an even easier method; simply toss a charge attack from the air that hits the ground once or twice, then do her Levi-slide past them and fire again as soon as she turns around. Pretty much no melee enemies can hit her when she's doing that. It also makes the Gazer a complete joke.

The main way to DPS with a Wizard and Sorceress anyway against larger enemies, especially bosses is to use either use a Fire or Ice rod and use their hold up + charge O attacks in the air. On average you can get four of those per jump without even trying. When you're actually focused on those however, you can do up to seven before landing to recharge mana.

What do you mean? It would have to be cumulative damage or it wouldn't make any sense to have that stat on things like belts and earrings. If you're asking if wearing a belt that has +damage in one bag would affect you while you're wearing gear from another bag, no.

As far as what it affects, the generic +%dmg affects both physical and elemental damage and it works on every enemy type. Same with the generic damage reduction. That's why when you find those that are specialized by genus or element, they typically come in a much higher value.

My build is really for LoC since there's nothing left to do in the main game after you've hit 99. There's barely any bone piles in the LoC, making animate skeleton a waste of points. I don't find Adroit hands useful for the sorceress because there's no real need to stack her spells. The spells work great independently and she's more of a character aimed at survival (protection, fast levitation, status spells etc) instead of high dps (unlike the wizard). As for blocking projectiles, the up + circle on the ice staff is really all that I need. Gravity makes short work of all mobs since they're all grouped together and you can just jump attack with impunity.

I pretty much stole your build, except I didn't bother with Mental Absorbtion or Curse (tried it, hated it), and I took Adroit simply because it does actually matter every so often (quite often actually) for the way I play. Blizzard, Gravity, Protection and Rock Press. Mental Absorbtion is especially unnecessary once you get some monocles. Concentration is based off of your mana pool anyway. It takes exactly the same time to go from 0 to 300 as it does 0 to 596. I also ended up with like three points to waste, and I couldn't get another level of Nutritionist, because it took four, so I just dumped it into Wealth to Health. It was useful prior to getting the Amazon amulet, but I'll probably respec out of that now.

maomaoIYP

I pretty much stole your build, except I didn't bother with Mental Absorbtion or Curse (tried it, hated it), and I took Adroit simply because it does actually matter every so often (quite often actually) for the way I play. Blizzard, Gravity, Protection and Rock Press. Mental Absorbtion is especially unnecessary once you get some monocles. Concentration is based off of your mana pool anyway. It takes exactly the same time to go from 0 to 300 as it does 0 to 596. I also ended up with like three points to waste, and I couldn't get another level of Nutritionist, because it took four, so I just dumped it into Wealth to Health. It was useful prior to getting the Amazon amulet, but I'll probably respec out of that now.

This is pretty true. I still haven't managed to farm one with the desired properties yet though.
I don't really use curse anymore, especially since I have gravity. The only normal enemy which gives problems (a crapload of problems in fact) are the teleporting pirates. I try to skip fighting them if possible, getting caught in their multi-slash attack is an instant kill.

Indeed, I've actually noted this order, and their corresponding bosses and levels on my phone, so I can consult the list for side-quest and/or talisman planning. I googled this initially and was baffled to not find an easily accessible list somewhere so I made my own.

To add to your useful list, here are the corresponding bosses and levels (I didn't note the normal mode A path levels, cause it's linear anyway and they all turn to level 17 once you clear them, so when I don't remember I just wrote ?), in order of the cycling "map" when you chain dungeons. The boss levels shown are, in order, normal mode and hard mode. I don't have the Inferno levels cause I haven't reached this part yet, sorry.

Nice! I've been thinking for a while of writing an Android companion app where you would register what orbs you had with each char (and perhaps quests), plus this order. I'd have to manage to get away from Dragon's Crown in the first place, though! :D

Sanctuary

This is pretty true. I still haven't managed to farm one with the desired properties yet though.
I don't really use curse anymore, especially since I have gravity. The only normal enemy which gives problems (a crapload of problems in fact) are the teleporting pirates. I try to skip fighting them if possible, getting caught in their multi-slash attack is an instant kill.

I love how on another forum people keep acting like Gravity makes Sinbad the Slasher free or something. It doesn't at all. He's still super annoying and all Gravity does is gives you 1-3 seconds to use Rock Press or some wand attacks until you have to dodge his incoming random port.

Giolon

I came across this review of Dragon's Crown from the recommendation of Quarter To Three yesterday and it is one of the best I've read:

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2013/08/review-dragons-crown/

It addresses the controversy over the artwork, looks at both sides, and while it comes down on the side I agree with, I feel it gives the detractors their fair shake, and ultimately reviews the game on its own merits rather than trying to use it to make some sort of social statement.

I'd never heard of tap-repeatedly.com before, but they earned themselves a bookmark.

I came across this review of Dragon's Crown from the recommendation of Quarter To Three yesterday and it is one of the best I've read:

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2013/08/review-dragons-crown/

It addresses the controversy over the artwork, looks at both sides, and while it comes down on the side I agree with, I feel it gives the detractors their fair shake, and ultimately reviews the game on its own merits rather than trying to use it to make some sort of social statement.

I'd never heard of tap-repeatedly.com before, but they earned themselves a bookmark.

I gotta say that's honestly a great review. Gonna bookmark after this as well, this is a review that definitely earned it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I only skimmed through that "review" but I thought she made a bunch of completely stupid comments. Such as:

I am a fan of fantasy art, and I have written before about how, while discussion of “reasonable armor” is all well and good, the backlash against sexy women in the context of games is starting to feel increasingly puritanical. I consider it a problem that so many on the internet feel a need to “repair” the clothing of fictional women who are wearing too little for their taste. It often feels like slut-shaming, and alienates and demeans women who actually like these fantasy portrayals. Perhaps being seen as sexy or desirable while kicking ass is not a suitable fantasy for us.

First, mighty hypocritical to complain about alleged slut-shaming and then engaging in ad-hominems (e.g. calling detractors "puritanical").

Second, the blog isn't about slut shaming at all, what a complete nonsense. The blog doe snot shame or ridicule or deride women who engage in sexuality of their own agency, it rolls its eyes at the ridiculous skimpy armours drawn (usually by men and/or for the male gaze) on women supposedly engaged in combat. "She’s just drawn that way", indeed. And as if it's not possible to look cool or sexy without being half-naked? *eye roll*

We don’t know. Of course, that is a ridiculous statement; she is a piece of artwork; she is a fictional character. Yet this argument is really only one step removed from the argument that it’s “not realistic” for a woman to go into combat this way, as “in the real world” she’d be stabbed in her exposed flesh.

Dragon’s Crown consists, in the real world, of hitboxes, with pictures on top of them representing characters.
And here we have a strawman. She almost admits that it's one, by saying it's not quite the argument people are presenting, yet she proceeds to refute the argument anyway. Go figure.

Having established my own point of view that the game is inseparable from its art, and the art is fantastic
I don't have a problem with this line per se, but I do have a problem with those who bitch about the Polygon review. Do you agree with Amanda here? If so, why is it okay to "give" points to a game because you love its art, but not okay to dock points if it bothers you? I wonder.

And lastly, while everyone focusses on the sorceress, she's not even really the problem here. If she had been the only character like that, fine. But other than the elf and princess Vivian (who's just "blank-eyed" and useless), oh and I'm sorry the orc cook lady in Bilbaron, every single female character is sexualized to a ridiculous extent. Morgan, ass-mermaid, chained see-through damsel, creepy spikey-boobplate spread-eagle moaning monk (who's honestly the worst for me even though she's fully covered), not to mention the sheer volume of near-hentai unlockable artworks from the side-quests all depicting nearly naked females.... I groaned in dismay every time I found a new one because it never stops. (Yeah, but there's Roland so it's totally fine amirite? Come on...)

Sorry, I didn't want to get into this debate again but I'm sick of the contempt shown at those who have a problem with the art (in other words, you started it :p). While I love the game, I happen to be one of them, and this doesn't make me a raging feminazi. Btw, I showed this art to other people (guys who are not familiar with the "controversy") and they all agreed it was blatant objectification and two guys even used the words "borderline porn". You don't have a problem with that, fine, but stop pretending it's not there, or handwaving it with Roland and the dwarf, or "it's ok since it's just pastiche", it's getting tiresome.

There's an implication in those sorts of criticisms that since the controversial aspects are not a strictly necessary part of the game, the game would be better if those pieces weren't included. It's definitely excessive but not purely exploitative; it's tied into the overall visual styling of the game and internally consistent with it, but it's problematic because while nobody will be offended by fantasy and classical art references in the cooking or the backgrounds or a male character being drawn exactly like Conan, someone will be mad at underboob. It's a gray area whether that sort of stuff should've been censored or if the game would've been better for certain people without it, but at some point it's like giving a bad review to a Tarantino movie because it had too much violence.

Really the only criticism that sticks for me is the developers being oblivious to the prevalent norms and big talking points for Western gamers, because the game getting dragged into this argument is a lose-lose for everyone.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So I'm about level 15 with my elf and can't see crap on the vita screen with four ai members. I disabled them from joining and got my butt handed to me. Am I doing it wrong our is group play required?

GorillaJu

I only skimmed through that "review" but I thought she made a bunch of completely stupid comments. Such as:

First, mighty hypocritical to complain about alleged slut-shaming and then engaging in ad-hominems (e.g. calling detractors "puritanical").

Second, the blog isn't about slut shaming at all, what a complete nonsense. The blog doe snot shame or ridicule or deride women who engage in sexuality of their own agency, it rolls its eyes at the ridiculous skimpy armours drawn (usually by men and/or for the male gaze) on women supposedly engaged in combat. "She’s just drawn that way", indeed. And as if it's not possible to look cool or sexy without being half-naked? *eye roll*

And here we have a strawman. She almost admits that it's one, by saying it's not quite the argument people are presenting, yet she proceeds to refute the argument anyway. Go figure.

I don't have a problem with this line per se, but I do have a problem with those who bitch about the Polygon review. Do you agree with Amanda here? If so, why is it okay to "give" points to a game because you love its art, but not okay to dock points if it bothers you? I wonder.

And lastly, while everyone focusses on the sorceress, she's not even really the problem here. If she had been the only character like that, fine. But other than the elf and princess Vivian (who's just "blank-eyed" and useless), oh and I'm sorry the orc cook lady in Bilbaron, every single female character is sexualized to a ridiculous extent. Morgan, ass-mermaid, chained see-through damsel, creepy spikey-boobplate spread-eagle moaning monk (who's honestly the worst for me even though she's fully covered), not to mention the sheer volume of near-hentai unlockable artworks from the side-quests all depicting nearly naked females.... I groaned in dismay every time I found a new one because it never stops. (Yeah, but there's Roland so it's totally fine amirite? Come on...)

Sorry, I didn't want to get into this debate again but I'm sick of the contempt shown at those who have a problem with the art (in other words, you started it :p). While I love the game, I happen to be one of them, and this doesn't make me a raging feminazi. Btw, I showed this art to other people (guys who are not familiar with the "controversy") and they all agreed it was blatant objectification and two guys even used the words "borderline porn". You don't have a problem with that, fine, but stop pretending it's not there, or handwaving it with Roland and the dwarf, or "it's ok since it's just pastiche", it's getting tiresome.

It seems you completely missed her point, instead reading things in a way that you want to read them.

Top Bottom