• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maomaoIYP

So I'm about level 15 with my elf and can't see crap on the vita screen with four ai members. I disabled them from joining and got my butt handed to me. Am I doing it wrong our is group play required?

Solo play is perfectly viable for all characters. Elf start off harder though, just gotta stick through it a little.

Ok if I only have the $ for one now what is the definitive version?

Depends on if you want to play on the go or not. If you do go for the Vita version I guess. It is pretty "pick up and play" friendly, but I honestly can't understand how you can tell wtf is going on using a 6" screen. I have a hard time following things on the PS3 version as is.

Bombless

Ok if I only have the $ for one now what is the definitive version?

I love my PS3 version to pieces, some people here swear on the Vita version. Seems pretty balanced, both versions are good. Personally I prefer having less slowdowns even if it means a bit more hassle with the cursor controls.

Great, I'm glad my post was helpful. I would definitely reconsider not putting anything into Evade. Increasing the level doesn't just increase the number of air dodges, it increases the length of time you can hold dodge on the ground and remain invincible. The length of time is quite long at max level, so it's worth checking out.

Also increasing your number of air dodges allows you more air attacks, whether it is the Magic Missile or staff attack. This drastically increases the amount of damage you can do per second and really makes Magic Missile shine. This allows you jump attack, double jump attack, levitation attack, and attack for each additional air dodge you have. Combine that with staves that increase the number of Magic Missiles you fire per shot (max is 5 I believe), you're looking at more than 20 homing shots fired in quick succession.
Thanks, I guess that does make sense with the extra dodging. My only concern is that I refuse to rely on items for badassery. I don't want to rely on a dropped item to give me more magic missles, or whatever. I'll take all the defense enhancements, but I try to ignore the skill equipment usually. Don't want to rely too heavily on something that I might not even have a chance to get. I leveled up the dodge once, but I never noticed anything extra about it on the ground. Must be once it's leveled up..

maomaoIYP

I really annoys me a little that you don't get any more than the 3 amnesia potions per character. As I move down into the LoC I often want to respec because the strategy required changes quite a bit.

I came across this review of Dragon's Crown from the recommendation of Quarter To Three yesterday and it is one of the best I've read:

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2013/08/review-dragons-crown/

It addresses the controversy over the artwork, looks at both sides, and while it comes down on the side I agree with, I feel it gives the detractors their fair shake, and ultimately reviews the game on its own merits rather than trying to use it to make some sort of social statement.

I'd never heard of tap-repeatedly.com before, but they earned themselves a bookmark.

I actually liked that review, and it did lead me to reading a few of the other reviews linked, which were equally nice reads.

So I'm about level 15 with my elf and can't see crap on the vita screen with four ai members. I disabled them from joining and got my butt handed to me. Am I doing it wrong our is group play required?

I've beat the game with three characters solo already, it's actually pretty easy on Normal. Yesterday I beat the Gazer (an anti-magic boss), on hard, using a sorceress three levels below it, without losing a single life.
On the other hand I've been playing sidescrolling beat'em ups all my life, and recently I got into a Mystara revival as per the re-release, so I feel like a fish in the water. :)

It seems you completely missed her point, instead reading things in a way that you want to read them.

While I did like the review, Morrigan has very fair points, and in particular the one thing I didn't like is how it linked that blog that ridicules absurd female designs, and indeed, the "puritan" accusations. On yet another hand, as usual, I myself am faced with mixed feelings. It's very, very hard to separate what constitutes (legitimate) criticism of female objectification, with (puritan) criticism of sexual expression or simply nudity, and it's very easy to misconstrue one for the other, intentionally or not.

Take the "put some clothes on" comment for example; it's such a sharp two-edged sword. I understand its use against exploitative (and especially derivative) designs, but many would as easily use it against actual women, shaming those who don't want to conform with more conservative clothing standards; thus turning it into actual sex-positive feminist oppression. I'm therefore not entirely comfortable with legitimizing its use even through ironical usage directed at drawings.

I may also have a slightly different perspective living in a country that, until the late 20th century, lived in a catholic, puritan, fascist military dictatorship (even if that was before I was born).

Sanctuary

I really annoys me a little that you don't get any more than the 3 amnesia potions per character. As I move down into the LoC I often want to respec because the strategy required changes quite a bit.

Technically there's a catch 22 to your situation. Once you reach floor 99, you can farm them to your heart's content.

Technically there's a catch 22 to your situation. Once you reach floor 99, you can farm them to your heart's content.

Oh, is that so? I take it each time you finish floor 99 you get a respect potion, then? That's pretty cool!

I also had a nice cooking session today. I cooked chimera meat and killer rabbit, each sauted and boiled, each of the four fully spiced, plus a couple other dishes. I got over 65.000 points, like +600 HP (got to 999) and +30% to each stat.

maomaoIYP

Which bugger decided on that I wonder? What good would it do if I could reach floor 99 in the first place?
edit: I gave in and used a precious potion to respec my sorceress. I'm solo at floor 34, and I'm getting instant killed by quite a few monsters. Removed curse, dumped points into more vitality boost.
edit2: Some LoC discussion:
I skip all rooms that can be skipped, I try to only use 1 bag for each floor since I only have 1 optimal set of equipment. Taking only 4 spells now means I can take a fire staff in addition to the primary ice staff.
Hardest bosses as a solo sorc:
Minotaur: about 4 out of 5 attacks the minotaur dishes out is an instant kill, in addition to the green orcs which can also kill you instantly (unless protection is active).
Wraith: I light both statues then leave the torch in the center. The mobs are annoying, but can be gotten rid off with rock press.
Red Dragon: The actual fight is not hard but he does a crapload of damage per hit.
Ninja pirates: I skip them if I can, otherwise I cast Blizzard and hope I don't get hit.
Essential equipment attributes:
+xx% health on stage transition
+xx% damage
-xx% damage
xx chance or resisting knockback on spellcast
+ 1 health per hit (amazon LoC item)
+ 20% damage on enemies with status ailments
50% chance of using no mana
+50% spell strength

For the heck of it, I made a video showing a comparison of the narrators. I used the Tim the Encha -- er, hermit dialogue because that's where the narrator usually does the funniest acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53kn2Y5HvNA

I think Elf and Dwarf overall are the best narrators to use.

I personally like the Sorceress the best.

Sanctuary

I skip all rooms that can be skipped, I try to only use 1 bag for each floor since I only have 1 optimal set of equipment. Taking only 4 spells now means I can take a fire staff in addition to the primary ice staff.
Hardest bosses as a solo sorc:
Minotaur: about 4 out of 5 attacks the minotaur dishes out is an instant kill, in addition to the green orcs which can also kill you instantly (unless protection is active).
Wraith: I light both statues then leave the torch in the center. The mobs are annoying, but can be gotten rid off with rock press.
Red Dragon: The actual fight is not hard but he does a crapload of damage per hit.
Ninja pirates: I skip them if I can, otherwise I cast Blizzard and hope I don't get hit.

I personally like the Sorceress the best.

Haha, that's how I've been playing it too. If you're there for the end of floor boss and loot, why bother with the vendor trash in the chests anyway? I'll basically start at one end of the screen and fly as fast and as far as I can until I can't move any longer. Then depending on what kind of enemies the majority are, I'll just cast Gravity and then finish them all off, or Blizzard.

IMO, the Wraith is more annoying than hard. I just try to wait until he's closer to the first statue and then drop Gravity halfway on top of it so that it sucks the skeletons out of range. Trying to light both before you engage sounds interesting though, so I'll try that and see.

The Red Dragon is pretty goddamn easy as a Sorceress compared to the Wizard. The only, and I mean only time I die on it anymore with the Sorceress is if it happened to be on the first floor since I'm using a Fire wand at the time. It's beatable, but it's goddamn slow and you basically have to just get up on it's face and jump spam regular O attacks as fast as possible and then dash out to regain mana. I actually had to fight it five times in two hours with a Fire wand. God that was tedious. Just because of that fight alone I've been considering dumping my Seal from the first bag in favor of an Ice wand. I only carry a single wand, one bag has Fire and the other two Ice. Once I can get another comparable Ice, I'll probably just keep all three like that.

And sadly, right now I agree about the Sorceress being my favorite too. I only leveled her up for the monocles for my Wizard, but the Wizard seems to freaking slow and vanilla by comparison. That may change though at level 60+ in LoC when Extinction starts to actually become more important than raw damage. Currently on 32 myself with the Sorceress. Not sure what you mean about the one-hit deaths though from non bosses. Sinbad is the only one that does that to me right now. Maybe the Seal defense is actually making a difference.

I haven’t been in this thread for quite a while - I'm still waiting patiently for the Australian version...

But I wanted to come in here and ask if a definitive version has become more obvious over time?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My copy for Vita finally fucking arrived after 30 days in transit from Play-Asia.

Game is really, really good. Hits the right spot and is exactly what I expected. Rolling Amazon for now.

Do enemies and bosses scale HP compared to how many party members you have? I'm finding Solo elf very manageable and I just finished ancient Dragon on hard mode solo as well as finished every quest as well.

GorillaJu

My copy for Vita finally fucking arrived after 30 days in transit from Play-Asia.

Game is really, really good. Hits the right spot and is exactly what I expected. Rolling Amazon for now.

Good man. Level up Berserker, Brandish, Adrenaline, War Paint and Incite Rage. Those are the skills you should concentrate on, once you're high enough level for them.

started playing this the other day. it's kind of hard to focus on the action when there's tons of characters on the screen. otherwise, game is dope.

Ultimadrago

Are there any good character progression guides out there? Skill allocation is getting a bit overwhelming for me (dwarf).

Here's one. Here's another (explanation here). There may be deviation depending on whether you prefer using fists or projectiles.
Whatever works for you.

Just managed to pick the game up. Mostly just messing around a bit as the Elf, and I have to say, I'm really digging her. I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, though. Any tips on where I should be putting my skill points as her and what I should be doing? I, uh, can't see my gut taking me that far.

I know people have written in-depth about Elf somewhere in this thread. Wish I could help out, but try checking some pages back.

Sanctuary

Do enemies and bosses scale HP compared to how many party members you have? I'm finding Solo elf very manageable and I just finished ancient Dragon on hard mode solo as well as finished every quest as well.

Yes, enemy health scales with the number of players. Although it seemed like it was easier to have one or two AI with you in the earlier levels if you were a caster. Keeps enemies off of you long enough to recharge. When I played my first character it seemed like enemy health scaled more with human players than it did AI, but that might have just been me trying to get used to having to continually run away to get mana back. After my first character though I never bothered to use any AI for anything except a single Fighter on the last fight.

started playing this the other day. it's kind of hard to focus on the action when there's tons of characters on the screen. otherwise, game is dope.

Yeah, it can be downright annoying at times too trying to track anything. That's why I think it's actually better to either solo, duo or even trio most of the time.

Usobuko

Banned

Just so you know, there's plenty of skill resets if you're going to venture higher difficulty.

bkw

Finish elf on normal today and I'm going to try amazon next. Does any of the story stuff change with a different character apart from the ending?

If I continue with the elf does hard/infernal have more story?

Man, I wanna get a vita and a vita copy now. It was great on the PS3 but now I want a more pick up and play experience. Booting the ps3 and the game takes too long (yeah, I'm impatient. :) )

Yes, enemy health scales with the number of players. Although it seemed like it was easier to have one or two AI with you in the earlier levels if you were a caster. Keeps enemies off of you long enough to recharge. When I played my first character it seemed like enemy health scaled more with human players than it did AI, but that might have just been me trying to get used to having to continually run away to get mana back.

I can confirm that the scaling is way higher with human players than AI players, which is a good move as AI players are cannon fodder at best and useless at worst. I never use AI players anyway; I bury all bones except for a few online players and friends I've played with (I've noticed you seem to get bones for the players that you've played with quite often).

Drizzt519

Banned
Here is my Sorceress now. Got her to 61 tonight.
Finally killed the Arch Demon instead of getting away from him.
40u.png

20u.png

30u.png

I haven’t been in this thread for quite a while - I'm still waiting patiently for the Australian version...

But I wanted to come in here and ask if a definitive version has become more obvious over time?

after my first night where me + 3 friends played local co op, I dont think i've touched the ps3 version

I play the vita version all the time and finished it twice on that version

For the heck of it, I made a video showing a comparison of the narrators. I used the Tim the Encha -- er, hermit dialogue because that's where the narrator usually does the funniest acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53kn2Y5HvNA

I think Elf and Dwarf overall are the best narrators to use.

Thanks of for that. All of them are pretty awesome in their own way. Only one I don't care for is the Amazon. lol

Perhaps I'd use the narrator of the character I choose, and then Narrator for the Amazon :p

Thanks of for that. All of them are pretty awesome in their own way. Only one I don't care for is the Amazon. lol

Perhaps I'd use the narrator of the character I choose, and then Narrator for the Amazon :p

I don't understand what they were thinking with the english voice for the Amazon. That narration video doesn't really do justice as to how terrible that voice really is.

Sushigod7

Here is my Sorceress now. Got her to 61 tonight.
Finally killed the Arch Demon instead of getting away from him.

Nice work! How is everyone getting the cool name text? I know someone posted a instagram picture of a cow one I need to do something like that.

I don't understand what they were thinking with the english voice for the Amazon. That narration video doesn't really do justice as to how terrible that voice really is.

That voice is scary as hell, it's pretty much a women trying to talk like a man. Or a man trying to sound like a women, possibly a drag queen.

Novocaine

Nice work! How is everyone getting the cool name text? I know someone posted a instagram picture of a cow one I need to do something like that.

That voice is scary as hell, it's pretty much a women trying to talk like a man. Or a man trying to sound like a women, possibly a drag queen.

On the character edit screen, edit your name, then press select.

-Amon-

Just decided to get Dragon's Crown and subscribed to the thread.

At the moment i'm more inclined to buy this on Vita, but i could switch on PS3 if the local coop is really good.

I'd like to know some experiences of local coop on PS3 then :)

Just decided to get Dragon's Crown and subscribed to the thread.

At the moment i'm more inclined to buy this on Vita, but i could switch on PS3 if the local coop is really good.

I'd like to know some experiences of local coop on PS3 then :)
I love local co-op on PS3. It does have problems, though:
1) Each player has to go into store areas independently (so player 1 goes in and repairs gear, then player 2, etc.).
2) Story progression is independent for each character (player 2 cannot play on hard difficulty until player 2's own story is gone through even if player 1 has done it).
3) All items and money must be shared between characters on local co-op. Not inherently a problem, but some might not like it.

Top Bottom