• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I love local co-op on PS3. It does have problems, though:
1) Each player has to go into store areas independently (so player 1 goes in and repairs gear, then player 2, etc.).
2) Story progression is independent for each character (player 2 cannot play on hard difficulty until player 2's own story is gone through even if player 1 has done it).
3) All items and money must be shared between characters on local co-op. Not inherently a problem, but some might not like it.

Yep. It seems that co-op was definitely intended to be played on Vitas with each person having their own characters and saves.

Other than those three problems, local co-op on PS3 is absolutely glorious.

Ultimadrago

1) Each player has to go into store areas independently (so player 1 goes in and repairs gear, then player 2, etc.).
2) Story progression is independent for each character (player 2 cannot play on hard difficulty until player 2's own story is gone through even if player 1 has done it).
3) All items and money must be shared between characters on local co-op. Not inherently a problem, but some might not like it.

Pretty much. No. 1 eventually becomes routine as your partner(s) switch off to check/sell equipment while you discuss it or do whatever. But I had a really good time getting from Normal to Infernal local co-op all the same.

-Amon-

Understood, thank you :)

Yep. It seems that co-op was definitely intended to be played on Vitas with each person having their own characters and saves.

It could really be that way from what i'm reading, thx.

Well i still have some time to make up my mind about it .... got to wait till october :(

I was hoping I'd primarily use the Dwarf, but I'm not sure I'm very well-suited to that playing style. Bombs are completely uninteresting to me.

How's that generic looking Fighter/Warrior? Is he relatively interesting to play as? Maybe I'd like an Amazon.

repeater

Hi guys, I'm kinda stuck. I'm playing a Wizard and the only amulet I've got left to acquire is the one from the
Red dragon
. I just can't beat him before time runs out, he's always got at least a tiny sliver left of life when time ends. And since I just hit the level cap at 35 I can't just level my character and come back to the fight at a higher level. The only
dragon
killing gear I have has a level requirement of 36, go figure. :/ Any advice?
Yes, I know I suck at the game :p

Sanctuary

Here is my Sorceress now. Got her to 61 tonight.
Finally killed the Arch Demon instead of getting away from him.

Don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but if you plan on doing LoC, you're more than likely going to have to respec. Seven spells is really spreading it too thin, on top of having skeletons. You can only hotkey four spells to the shortcuts, and have a fifth as your use item. And if you're actually using all of those spells at once, you'd have to be giving up gear slots to fit them all in.

I prefer the Sorceress above all. Especially her prononciation of godess and other words :p

I can't believe how much of a 180 I did with certain week one opinions. Initially I thought the Ice rod/wand had no use compared to Fire or Lightning, and I also thought the Sorceress having Protection and Create Food didn't justify her "low damage" (lol) and that she was an unnecessary class. Now I think she's the best class in the game, for either soloing or grouping.

repeater

You can stay in the first room for as long as you want without running out of time.
You mean the
treasury
where he's sleeping? Given the narrator's warning, I didn't think this was really a viable option (at least not at my level), but I haven't tried it.. Thanks!

Yep,
If you attack him, he awakens and you can fight him inside that room, then you can either kill him in there or leave the room and try to finish him off with the time limit.

joesmokey

I started playing this online co-op with a friend and it's so much more fun with voice chat. Difficulty spike with Hard after beating Normal is pretty substantial, but that's to be expected. Do most people go back and grind on Normal for awhile or stick it out with Hard?

I'm enjoying the wizard a lot right now. I need to start experimenting with more of the secondary spells as I haven't really touched Fire Ward, etc., at all.

Biggest complaint with the game is still the readability of things on screen. It often gets very hard to keep track of your character and whether or not you should be jumping out of the way to avoid things. At least I'm at the point where currency is no longer an issue, so that's pretty nice.

Only activating 5 quests at a time is definitely frustrating and not fun to micro-manage.

Quixzlizx

I started playing this online co-op with a friend and it's so much more fun with voice chat. Difficulty spike with Hard after beating Normal is pretty substantial, but that's to be expected. Do most people go back and grind on Normal for awhile or stick it out with Hard?

I'm enjoying the wizard a lot right now. I need to start experimenting with more of the secondary spells as I haven't really touched Fire Ward, etc., at all.

Biggest complaint with the game is still the readability of things on screen. It often gets very hard to keep track of your character and whether or not you should be jumping out of the way to avoid things. At least I'm at the point where currency is no longer an issue, so that's pretty nice.

Only activating 5 quests at a time is definitely frustrating and not fun to micro-manage.

You're better off grinding in the Labyrinth of Chaos if you're having problems with the story levels. Normal only gives you 10% of your score in XP, while hard gives you 50%.

Oublieux

My copy for Vita finally fucking arrived after 30 days in transit from Play-Asia.

Game is really, really good. Hits the right spot and is exactly what I expected. Rolling Amazon for now.

At least you got yours... I'm still waiting on mine. Sigh. Yay trying to get Region 1 games while living in another country.

How repetitive are the levels, dungeons? I found Muramasa boring because you'd go to a new screen and it looked just like the previous screen.

kubricks

How do you safely tackle Arch Demon in LoC by Amazon?
I can't parry accurately since the screen is a clusterfuck with all the minions, I can dodge his melee but will not be able to hit him often enough (losing berserk level is a real pain....), the spell is a bit random and if I got hit and lose my weapon I am almost certainly dead.

What is a valid strategy? (apart from "play better", obviously.. ;_;)

I can happily say that now I join the ranks of the platinum club and it feels good. Plus I can always go back and try to get through 100 floors of the labyrinth of chaos.

RangerBAD

I can happily say that now I join the ranks of the platinum club and it feels good. Plus I can always go back and try to get through 100 floors of the labyrinth of chaos.

Chocolate_chip_cookies.jpg

I'm actually just getting into this.

Is there any downside to having companions with you? I mean, do they take any of the loot in a single player game or what?

Is there any downside to having companions with you? I mean, do they take any of the loot in a single player game or what?

No downside other than increased enemy spawns and increased boss health. All loot from chests goes to your character. In online mode, every person gets their own loot. There's no need to worry about rushing for chests before everyone else.

Giolon

Nope. The only "downside" is the game is a bit more chaotic and encounters scale to the number of players/companions.

Sanctuary

I'm at floor 50 now. Still playing solo. I hope to clear 99 by this week.

That's what I just hit too. The irony is, in general it's much easier to solo, or at the very most duo than it is to add more than that to a group. Not only due to the chaotic sprite orgy on screen, but because of how many times you die, or kill someone else by moving the screen in such a way that's counter-productive during a boss fight.

Yes, there is a downside. They will more often than not chase down the food that you need and pick it up while you're finishing off the rest of the enemies. Or they will just race you to it regardless. Seems like such a small annoyance; until it happens again, and again, and again.

Just got my platinum a few minutes ago. Final trophy I got was Gourmand. Feels good man.

Screw that noise. I'm not going to chase Gourmand, and I have no desire to level up a Dwarf just for an achievement.

maomaoIYP

That's what I just hit too. The irony is, in general it's much easier to solo, or at the very most duo than it is to add more than that to a group. Not only due to the chaotic sprite orgy on screen, but because of how many times you die, or kill someone else by moving the screen in such a way that's counter-productive during a boss fight.

I'm getting REALLY bored though. If I pick up Diablo 3 I might just move on without clearing it.

Screw that noise. I'm not going to chase Gourmand, and I have no desire to level up a Dwarf just for an achievement.

Bahahaha. I finished normal with my Dwarf using my level 99 elf. Zero desire to actually play dwarf. I got to level 19 playing Dwarf solo and beat Gazer before I said fuck it, there's just no way. Then I rushed all 9 talismans with him using my Elf and smashed Ancient Dragon. Never again except for if someone agrees to carry my useless dwarf to get the chaos mantle.

As for Gourmand, I did it in under 2 hours using Split Infinity's guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633261-dragons-crown/66880606

Sanctuary

I'm getting REALLY bored though. If I pick up Diablo 3 I might just move on without clearing it.

I wrote off Diablo 3 ever since being thoroughly disappointed with it, and dropping it within the first four weeks of release. There's been a ton of improvements since then (all of which kept making me want to revisit it at some point), and all of the current updates made it to the console version. The entire reason I've played DC as much as I have was due to how very much it's like Diablo 2. In fact, it's the closest game that I've ever played that had the same spirit.

So anyway, a few others that I play DC with almost daily now are also getting the game (which I didn't know until I told them that I couldn't believe I was picking it up, and for the console!) too, so eventually I'll probably be playing that again. Depends on how annoyed I get using analogs though over the mouse and keyboard setup. I am intrigued with the dodge function though. Having offline Hardcore will be nice too as well as no AH. You didn't "have to" use either AH online, but they made the drops intentionally shitty so that you were forced to use it if you actually wanted to get anywhere in the later difficulties. Apparently the console version was vastly improved in that area due to not having an AH.

-Amon-

Another question about coop, Vita version this time.

Can i play coop over the internet and invite a player using his psn ID and go in with him only ?

It looks that on vita if you go multiplayer the party is formed by random players only.

-Amon-

Last one, really.

If i import the American Vita version there is some kind of problem playing on an European Vita with an European PSN account ?

( Apart from the usual problems, like not being able to use dlc and maybe region locked multiplayer )

Thanks again.

Usobuko

Banned

Just got my platinum a few minutes ago. Final trophy I got was Gourmand. Feels good man.

Congrats, my last trophies were the character ones.

Are you guys by chance like me waiting for potential content DLC now? LoC is boring, I need new bosses.

repeater

If i import the American Vita version there is some kind of problem playing on an European Vita with an European PSN account ?

( Apart from the usual problems, like not being able to use dlc and maybe region locked multiplayer )
No problem at all (except DLC), I'm playing an American copy on my EU account Vita.

Sushigod7

So anyone going to throw down for the sorceress figure?

I own all the Vanillaware figures so far and this one I won't buy. I will pick up a Elf when she is released and would buy Sorceress if they release the whole character set just so I have them all. Just not a huge fan of this pose looks like a Queens Blade figure.

entremet

I beat the first there floors of the Labyrinths of Chaos, but I can't access Floor 4. Anyone know why? I'm at level 40, btw.

Giolon

So anyone going to throw down for the sorceress figure?

Nope. I'm holding out for the Orchid Seed version. I don't like what AlphaMax did with her breast proportions (did they really have to make them bigger?) and there's something still off about the face. I would've preferred a more active pose, rather than this submissive crawling thing.

There's also the MegaHouse Elf and Amazon, and yeah I'm totally onboard for these unless the paint job is fucked up:

I've already got Gwendolyn, Velvet, Momohime, and Kongiku. Never liked the figures of Mercedes that came out.

maomaoIYP

Nope. I'm holding out for the Orchid Seed version. I don't like what AlphaMax did with her breast proportions (did they really have to make them bigger?) and there's something still off about the face. I would've preferred a more active pose, rather than this submissive crawling thing.

There's also the MegaHouse Elf and Amazon, and yeah I'm totally onboard for these unless the paint job is fucked up:

I've already got Gwendolyn, Velvet, Momohime, and Kongiku. Never liked the figures of Mercedes that came out.
I'm still praying that one day Alter will make a Velvet figure. But yeah the megahouse elf/amazon looks fantastic. Can't say the same about the alphamax sorceress.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys a question, now i'm playing hard difficulty with the amazon, but now i want to complete the normal difficulty with the other characters, what i had to do, making a completely new game and a new savegame or going to the temple, setting the normal difficulty and playing with a different character is enough? Obviously i want to be able to return to the hard difficulty.

Giolon

Guys a question, now i'm playing hard difficulty with the amazon, but now i want to complete the normal difficulty with the other characters, what i had to do, making a completely new game and a new savegame or going to the temple, setting the normal difficulty and playing with a different character is enough? Obviously i want to be able to return to the hard difficulty.

Use the same save game (don't start a new one or start a new one and save over the same slot). Go to the Inn, choose Select Character, and create a new one. You can have up to 20 characters. Each one will start from the beginning on Normal. Characters that have beaten the game can Pray at the temple to change difficulties.

Top Bottom