• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Giolon

I ran through Level 7 of the Labyrinth of Chaos at my lunch time with my Level 85 Amazon, and holy shit she loses berserk stacks almost immediately now. Do not want :(

On the other hand, getting berserk stacks on a successful parry is pretty nice! I couldn't tell how badly War Paint was nerfed, but the skill description tooltip had the same duration listed.

Giolon

Did the amazon get nerfed badly?

What other changes are there?

Unofficial but reported changes include:

• Durability bars show up beneath equipment in your inventory (but sadly not on Bag choice screens mid-level)
  • Elf - Deadly Boots and Elemental Lore damage improved (especially Elemental Lore)
  • Sorceress - 20% increased damage w/ Wands
  • Amazon - Berserk runs out faster, War Paint does less damage, and each subsequent Brandish hit is weaker
  • Wizard - Meteor works properly in water, Extinction has a new graphic effect, aforementioned 20% more spell damage when overcharged MP
  • Sorceress - 20% more damage from wands, Blizzard graphics more transparent.
  • (Hideous) Colored arrows were added at the bottom of the screen pointing at your character's location.

Bombless

Unofficial but reported changes include:

• Durability bars show up beneath equipment in your inventory (but sadly not on Bag choice screens mid-level)
  • Elf - Deadly Boots and Elemental Lore damage improved (especially Elemental Lore)
  • Sorceress - 20% increased damage w/ Wands
  • Amazon - Berserk runs out faster, War Paint does less damage, and each subsequent Brandish hit is weaker
  • Wizard - Meteor works properly in water, Extinction has a new graphic effect, aforementioned 20% more spell damage when overcharged MP
  • Sorceress - 20% more damage from wands, Blizzard graphics more transparent.
  • (Hideous) Colored arrows were added at the bottom of the screen pointing at your character's location.

Ugh, bad news for my Hometown-chan :( Glad to hear the sorceress gets a buff as well alongside the Wizard.

Can those bottom arrows be disabled Giolon?

Giolon

Ugh, bad news for my Hometown-chan :( Glad to hear the sorceress gets a buff as well alongside the Wizard.

Can those bottom arrows be disabled Giolon?

Sadly, no. :( I can only hope Atlus/Vanillaware will provide one more patch either making them optional or more subtle (as well as adding the durability bars to the bag selection screen mid-level), but I think realistically this is probably going to be the last patch we see. Stranger things have happened. I'm still somewhat surprised this game even got one patch let alone two.

Giolon

So is incite rage more useful or not in this patch?

It's hard to say, but I think it's net-worse. Berserk drops off so fast when you're not attacking that using Incite Rage to get a couple stacks seems like "what's the point, I'm just going to lose it again". On the other hand, since it's so hard to maintain, being able to pop up to 3 stacks of Berserk on cue when you know you've got a really good opportunity to wail on something could be a big boon.

Oh, I forgot to mention one other very important change:

When you get the dreaded "network connection lost" it's supposed to send you back to the start of the area you were on instead of sending you back to town.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why do devs do this in patches? Fix some stuff, but then break more stuff that no one asked for. Ugh. Yeah, fixing P2 progress is nice, but why add those annoying arrows and nerf the Amazon like that? No one asked for that, did they? Yet I'm sure they DID ask for durability checks in the bag selection screen, but nope.

Reminds me of Dark Souls patches. Sure, TWoP and fog ring were broken. So they fixed that. And then increased the number of souls dropped by almost every enemy by a fuckton, increased ore drops, reduced aggro on many enemies, etc. and just made the game easier. Gah, fix what is broken and don't touch the rest, devs! Please?

Why do devs do this in patches? Fix some stuff, but then break more stuff that no one asked for. Ugh. Yeah, fixing P2 progress is nice, but why add those annoying arrows and nerf the Amazon like that? No one asked for that, did they? Yet I'm sure they DID ask for durability checks in the bag selection screen, but nope.

Reminds me of Dark Souls patches. Sure, TWoP and fog ring were broken. So they fixed that. And then increased the number of souls dropped by almost every enemy by a fuckton, increased ore drops, reduced aggro on many enemies, etc. and just made the game easier. Gah, fix what is broken and don't touch the rest, devs! Please?
Plenty of people have complained about the ridiculous damage Amazon's do, and you can't tell me that people never complain about losing track of their character in this game.

Anyway, question for Amazon players: how do you stay on target against the Chimera? I have a heck of a time staying on the faces with my grounded attacks. There's a lot of awkward repositioning I have to do.

Giolon

Plenty of people have complained about the ridiculous damage Amazon's do, and you can't tell me that people never complain about losing track of their character in this game.

Anyway, question for Amazon players: how do you stay on target against the Chimera? I have a heck of a time staying on the faces with my grounded attacks. There's a lot of awkward repositioning I have to do.

Yeah, these are definitely changes made due to feedback. Amazon damage was so absurdly high w/ War Paint and Berserk that it made pretty much any boss encounter trivial. I'm just worried they might've gone too far. And while visibility can be a problem, I don't think those hideous arrows were the right approach. But you can't say they aren't listening.

As to how to fight the Chimera as an Amazon: with lots of awkward repositioning. :(

Yeah, these are definitely changes made due to feedback. Amazon damage was so absurdly high w/ War Paint and Berserk that it made pretty much any boss encounter trivial. I'm just worried they might've gone too far. And while visibility can be a problem, I don't think those hideous arrows were the right approach. But you can't say they aren't listening.

As to how to fight the Chimera as an Amazon: with lots of awkward repositioning. :(
I also feel like I can't really do damage to the Red Dragon if I have it leave the treasure room. The only thing that hits is my aerial attack.

I don't think the arrows are that bad. I'm on the PS3 version, and I didn't even notice them at first. I forget they exist. They should be optional, regardless.

Giolon

So, contrary to earlier reports, durability bars DO show up on the mid-level bag selection screen and it's been an immense help in choosing when to switch bags.

I also managed to beat Level 9 of the Labyrinth of Chaos on my Amazon w/ my Wizard buddy while we were both 85. Let me say we were not prepared.
The Level 100 Demon King has some real bullshit attacks - that daze/stun spew, gravity, rapid-fire petrify from multiple points on the screen
. Now I'm looking forward to delving in even further, but first I plan to grind up to 99 in the regular level circuit since the XP is so much better there.

After having used the new post-nerf Amazon for a couple nights, I'm of the opinion that she's not been broken but the nerfs go a little too far. The changes to Brandish (deals less damage with each swing, down to about 50% on the last one) and War Paint (less of a damage boost) are fine. It was comical how fast an Amazon who was fully revved up could take down boss health.

Which brings me to my problem - Berserk is now too easy to lose and too hard to maintain. Whiffing a single combo or having an enemy be juggled into the air or knocked down can be enough to lose your berserk entirely. Running across the screen from one enemy to another is no good - especially if they aren't on the same plane so you have to adjust your vertical position at a slower speed to hit them. I wasn't able to verify whether you lose Berserk stacks simply for getting hit now (as opposed to be knocked down where you've always lost it all).

It does seem that the rate at which you lose Berserk is related to how high your stack was. If you're at Berserk 1, you're going to lose it almost immediately when you stop attacking. If you're at Berserk 2, you'll lose it almost immediately, but will remain at Berserk 1 for a couple seconds before it runs out. Same deal at Berserk 3 - you'll lose it immediately, stay at Berserk 2 for a couple seconds, then stay at Berserk 1 for a couple seconds and then it's gone.

It really puts more emphasis on successful Parries (+1 Berserk) and adds some value to Deadly Revolution (since you can jump through the air and hit stuff on your way to another target) and lessens the need or desire for Amazons to rush ahead to the next screen in order to make use of and maintain their Berserk. It's going to be gone before you even get to the edge of the screen or the next enemy spawn can show up, guaranteed. If we get another patch, and that's a big if at this point I think, I would really like to see them add another second or two on the decay from the highest level of Berserk.

The Wizard on the other hand, I think may have had his damage buffed TOO much. I felt like my buddy was doing the kind of comical damage my Amazon used to do.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Huh? I didn't notice the durability bars... I even looked for them. I must be blind. :S

I agree the Amazon was severely nerfed, played a bit last night and that Berserk decay really hurts. On the flipside, my level 34 wizard cooped the last boss (Normal) with a level 31 dwarf and neither of us were very good at our respective character but we kicked its ass. Interesting.

I might have to respec my Amazon and put more points into parry (currently just level 1) and learn to parry efficiently I guess... need those i-frames. :(

maomaoIYP

I might have to respec my Amazon and put more points into parry (currently just level 1) and learn to parry efficiently I guess... need those i-frames. :(

It's easy as hell (unless it was patched out with this latest patch, but I doubt it). Hold square to block, and when more hits rain down just tap square until your amazon flashes.

I'm still neck deep playing Diablo 3, but I hope to be back to play the wizard 2.0 soon!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just got this gem. What build should I be using for my elf archer?
Avoid kicks and melee skills. Focus on bow skills. Power shot, impact arrow, spacious quiver, salamander oil, clone strikes are all good. For common skills, go with Evasion asap. The elf can't block so she needs to be very mobile.

Zoe

Hmm, hit the normal level cap. Oops?

Do quest completions carry over with each character, or do I need to do them all with one?

Serra

Is there any reason I shouldn't just make a US PSN account and buy this now instead of waiting for it to come to europe?

ShinMaruku

Avoid kicks and melee skills. Focus on bow skills. Power shot, impact arrow, spacious quiver, salamander oil, clone strikes are all good. For common skills, go with Evasion asap. The elf can't block so she needs to be very mobile.

Thanks. I was about to go into the backstab elf but I think Bow skills are much better.

The Sorceress has a lot of crowd control options, and while there's a lot of discussion about what CC options are best, there is not a lot of talk about when people use their CC options.

So, what I would like people to do here is list what they use, and when. Include staff abilities and what staff you tend to use with your build.

I use a lightning staff, and here are how I use my basic abilities:
d+O: Any creature that is more than a character length away and can be stunned. I will use this to CC that creature for my teammates, and I will then go do other things.

O: Snipe low health creatures from afar.

up+O: to stun aerial creatures and stun creatures within teleport range; teleport in, stun, then move on to another creature

jump+O: to stun large groups; I rarely do this since hitting inferno because enemies are resistant to stun now, and it tends to only stun a few

Curse: Any time I see a single Elite or a group of Elites, I pop Curse. At least, unless...

Petrification: If the enemies pop onto the screen and there are either casters or 6+ enemies that just came on, I immediately use Petrification. It makes the fight move on faster, and contrary to popular belief, I have never seen it "resisted". Now, I am just beginning Inferno, so maybe I need to get to the point where that happens, but right now Petrification is pretty fantastic in my opinion. It allows my partners to attack without fear of retaliation. Yes, Elites break out faster than non-elites, but by the time they do, everything that is non-elite is usually dead. Elites usually aren't very scary alone. Sometimes I will still Curse them after they break out if I have a disorganized team.

Blizzard: I save this for either when a battle has gotten out of hand and players are dying, when the screen is dark, when there is a mob generator plus lots of mobs, or on boss fights with adds. It wipes the screen clear, so I use it sparingly.

Rock Press: It kills nearly everything and stuns the whole screen; I basically use it as a miniature Blizzard. I am more likely to use this when fights are getting out of control than on boss fights since the casting animation cannot be teleport-canceled, making it risky. There are a few boss fights where a lot of adds come onto the screen (Reaper), and this tends to get used there. Sometimes I just use it as a "I want this damn fight to end" ability.

I am especially interested in hearing what enemies people use Ice Prison and Gravity against. I decided against Gravity after I used it on an Orc elite and the Orc was immune to the vacuum effect, and casters/archers can still fire away while in the Gravity well. Ice Prison just never struck me as particularly useful. Too many enemies can jump over the ice or teleport through it. I am not saying these abilities are bad, and actually I am hoping I can hear some good stories to convince me to change my skill set around.

Bombless

Patch deployed on the JP version. http://dragons-crown.com/info/2013/09/ps3psvita-1.html

Google Translate said:
PS3/PSVita for software we launched in 7/25 with respect to "Dragon's Crown"
operational stability of the network connection and improvement of the system as
we start from today, the delivery of the third bullet update.

In an effort to help you apologize for the inconvenience, there is no excuse.

When I relate to this work, the Company plans to update in the future.
Update content is as follows.

[Bug fix]
I has improved the operational stability of the network connection.

[Feature] Add
a disclosure triangle position of the cursor, the bottom of the screen
 does not display / all / show only player operation as an option
 you can now select.

· The damage number you gave the enemy
 it is now possible to display only the value of the operation player an option.

[Improvements]
durability of the equipment in the guard when Fighter, Amazon has increased.
- We adjust the effect associated with the Berserk state of the Amazon.
And other, were made ​​to improve the system around and comfortable of the function and improved operability.

It should be noted, as well as the determination of the content for the update of the fourth bullet and later
as soon as the verification is already, we will notice again at this place.

So :

-Enable/Disable options for the below triangles (On, Off, your char only)
- Damage shown toggle (All, You, Off probably)
- Amazon Berserk reversal of duration nerf maybe? Better visual indications of Berserk state? We'll see
- There will be at least a 4th patch?

Love to see Vanillaware maintaining this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The triangle didn't bother me much, I usually stopped noticing it in the chaos of a fight, but it's good you can turn it off.

I wonder what the changes to the Amazon are. If they undid the nerf somewhat that would be good for me. I'm currently level 96 and really struggling against the
Ancient Dragon
on Infernal, solo. Tried like ten times, but only came really close one. I was level 89, ironically, he had a sliver of health left, one deadly revolution or even a power smash and he'd be dead, but my armour was all destroyed and I got two-shotted by some explosion. ;_;
I grinded for levels and loot but didn't get any single piece of really good anti-draconic gear in all those runs, and the extra levels seemed to have made no difference. I stack as many buffs as I can (defense tonics + attack tonics + war paint but I only have 3) and try to use her adrenaline (though it's risky), but he always heals more than I can catch up with, and eventually I either do something stupid and die or my armour (well, "armour" :p) breaks and I start taking massive damage.

It's frustrating to do a run, get S level 96 weapons, and they are weaker than some level 80 axes I already have. Like I have a 230-250 axe (say level 80) and now I get a shiny new S axe, level 96... and it's 150-230 with mediocre bonuses? Pffft, fuck you. :(

So I haven't played this since the 13th and I had to download a patch today. Are there any notes? All it said was some shit about the Wizard and then it was vague about what the patch did for other classes.

kubricks

I wonder what the changes to the Amazon are. If they undid the nerf somewhat that would be good for me. I'm currently level 96 and really struggling against the
Ancient Dragon
on Infernal, solo.

I killed it on inferno when my Amazon was lvl79, and did it in under 3 minutes too.
I did it on 1.01 patch tho', is the nerf really that bad?

maomaoIYP

How do you "win" the kraken ship part? It capsizes every single time for me, no matter what I do. If you can win, does anything happen?

Losing dumps you into a room with lizardmen.
Winning dumps you into a room with a chest, no enemies and some recovery items.
You can win even solo with no AI.
Ignore both tentacles that slap the boat.
Kill the one that grabs the mast immediately when it appears.
This will get you past that room 90% of the time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I always kill that one but it never works... hmm. Do you kill it with the canons or just with melee? (Well I tried both without success but maybe I was doing it wrong somehow...)

I killed it on inferno when my Amazon was lvl79, and did it in under 3 minutes too.
I did it on 1.01 patch tho', is the nerf really that bad?
Either that or I really really suck. :S My damage output is pretty bad on it, to be honest. I have a 200-ish to 250 axe with decent bonuses (no good anti-dragon axe though) and I spam deadly revolution with various buffs on it but it takes forever for that health bar to drop, even when Adrenaline is active. :S

kubricks

What? You can actually win that ship part?
Mind blown.... ;_;!

kubricks

Either that or I really really suck. :S My damage output is pretty bad on it, to be honest. I have a 200-ish to 250 axe with decent bonuses (no good anti-dragon axe though) and I spam deadly revolution with various buffs on it but it takes forever for that health bar to drop, even when Adrenaline is active. :S

I think that's the problem, try hit it with ground attack, it's much more damaging.
(just dodge his bites and DR back in)

maomaoIYP

I always kill that one but it never works... hmm. Do you kill it with the canons or just with melee? (Well I tried both without success but maybe I was doing it wrong somehow...)
Just melee. Ignore the cannons altogether, they only hit the tentacles that smack the deck. The mast-grabbing tentacle must be taken out with melee iirc.

What? You can actually win that ship part?
Mind blown.... ;_;!
Yeah, if you bring 3 AI they will load all the cannons for you and you just need to hang on to the torch and take out the mast-grabber occasionally.

You only have to kill the tentacle that attacks the mast, it's the only one that actually hurts the ship (health bar is in the upper right corner). I think you can hurt it with the cannon but there's no point since you can easily hit it with your character and the tentacle doesn't have a ton of health. If you're not solo-ing, having a dedicated character guard the mast (or if you're playing with NPCs, just camp the mast between lighting all the cannons with the torch, the AI is actually really good at loading the cannons).

Serra

Finally bought this yesterday.

Played a bit of Amazon, Elf and Wizard. Liking the Elf best so far, I so I will probably stick with her from now on.

It really is a gorgeous game. Also enjoying the narrator and music so far!

Just picked this back up after a week or two....

Any other Vita players out there noticing more slowdown that usual? I'm getting it baaaaad in certain areas, some with no enemies!

I'm blaming not turning off my Vita in a week or two. I didn't have any extra apps open or anything.

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been asked before. So I have the US vita version, and my buddy wants to get the Japanese one. We were wondering is it possible to play this game cross region using ad hoc?

Quixzlizx

Sorry if this has been asked before. So I have the US vita version, and my buddy wants to get the Japanese one. We were wondering is it possible to play this game cross region using ad hoc?

I know that Japanese and US players can play together over PSN, but I'm not positive about ad hoc.

You won't be able to at the moment, though, since Japan is on patch 1.03 while we are still on 1.02.

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
I know that Japanese and US players can play together over PSN, but I'm not positive about ad hoc.

You won't be able to at the moment, though, since Japan is on patch 1.03 while we are still on 1.02.

Oh, ok. Thank you. I guess we'll just play it over PSN and then check when US gets patch 1.03.

Danj

This comes out in a couple of weeks over here in the UK, but I'm not sure which version I should get? I have both a Vita and a PS3, what are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of each version?

This comes out in a couple of weeks over here in the UK, but I'm not sure which version I should get? I have both a Vita and a PS3, what are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of each version?

Vita has portability but there will be some slowdown when you have enough large spells on screen. It doesn't break the game but it's very noticeable. Also local multiplayer has to be unlocked just like online. Vita version also lets you use the touchscreen to interact with runes faster than moving a cursor around the screen (Vita allows this to be done with touchscreen or right stick based on preference, PS3 does not have a touchscreen so you'd be stuck with stick. If it's anything like on the Vita imo it can get awkward at times.) Console version has local couch co-op from the start and from what I can tell slowdown isn't as bad. For the most part I'd say it's based on preference and if you have friends who'd be interested in playing co-op with you. If you end up getting both versions you can use cross save to get the best of both experiences.

Top Bottom