• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

The Gourmand trophy is about to make me jump out of a building. I am 99% sure that I have made every dish. The only thing I can think of is that the guide says that the Old Capital has a "nettle tree" ingredient, which I don't see. I only ever get barracuda filet as my 8th ingredient there. Is there something I"m missing?

You already have chicken from failing red dragon?

The Gourmand trophy is about to make me jump out of a building. I am 99% sure that I have made every dish. The only thing I can think of is that the guide says that the Old Capital has a "nettle tree" ingredient, which I don't see. I only ever get barracuda filet as my 8th ingredient there. Is there something I"m missing?
The author of the gourmand guide said that he had mistaken "nettle tree" for the mushrooms so you shouldn't worry about that. Also, a lot of people seem to be missing chicken which you get for running away from the red dragon.

There's cross regional play but right now JP has a patch that US doesn't have yet, which as far as I know makes US players not able to play with JP players, so you'll need to wait until the patch comes out in America. The patch only came out in Japan 2 days ago so it might be awhile.

Thank you very much! Hopefully that patch will come to the NA version soon. I'm very interested in the improvements to Sorceress. Maybe they'll help me suck less. Tho I wonder if my skill assignments are what's really causing the issues...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Something weird happened just now... I hopped into a random's game, and we beat the
Chimera and the Killer Rabbit
together, then afterwards he left so I was with his NPC... I killed the pirate boss and returned to town, but I had zero talisman. WTF?
The chimera didn't fall into the lava, and the knights didn't assist us for the rabbit, I should have the talisman even if I wasn't the host, right? Earlier before that I jumped into another random's game and we killed Medusa, the dude immediately left after that. I selected "quit adventure" at the next level, and I got the Green talisman...

Giolon

Something weird happened just now... I hopped into a random's game, and we beat the
Chimera and the Killer Rabbit
together, then afterwards he left so I was with his NPC... I killed the pirate boss and returned to town, but I had zero talisman. WTF?
The chimera didn't fall into the lava, and the knights didn't assist us for the rabbit, I should have the talisman even if I wasn't the host, right? Earlier before that I jumped into another random's game and we killed Medusa, the dude immediately left after that. I selected "quit adventure" at the next level, and I got the Green talisman...

I've seen an issue where it appears if the host has a talisman already and you do not, you won't get the talisman. I'm not sure if it always works that way or it's something where there's just a chance of it happening.

Bombless

I've had this issue where even though on the city screen my talismans would show correctly but while in random online the talisman list would either be full or empty and I wouldn't get any at the town return. Happened with multiple characters and I fixed it by changing difficulties at the temple then reverting to the difficulty i was on.

Might be related to that.

So wait a sec....Reguarding Talismans, is their drop tied to how
the boss dies?

Reading some of the spoilers here, I had no idea that
bosses could be killed in multiple ways. Like I never had any knights come and help me out with the Killer Rabbit. Certainly not Sir Robin, who slew the great Chicken of Bristol and personally wet himself in the battle of Badon Hill. What death branches are there?

Bombless

the boss dies?

bosses could be killed in multiple ways. Like I never had any knights come and help me out with the Killer Rabbit. Certainly not Sir Robin, who slew the great Chicken of Bristol and personally wet himself in the battle of Badon Hill. What death branches are there?

The B path bosses are actually timed. If you take too long then
either the boss escapes or you get backup and the boss is killed by them (rabbit, gargoyle gate, archdemon. If at the score screen you have the image of an open door it means you failed and won't get the talisman.
There is one exception ,the Old Capital B boss :
If you fight the red dragon in his treasure room then there is no time limit. If you escape through the tunnel you have until the stone bridge to kill him, otherwise it collapses and you fail.

the boss dies?

Kraken: It breaks three cave columns, each one resulting in a wave, with the last sweeping you outside and it escaping.
Red dragon: As described, if you exit the large room (pretty much necessary eventually as it's really tough to battle it there) and can't kill it by the time the bridge ends, it falls down to its doom.
Chimera: Each floor of the tower gives way and you fight on each floor below. The last floor sends it to a lava lake, while you land on ground.
Killer Rabbit: Knights appear, carrying a crate of... you guessed it, Holy Hand Grenades. Well, regular bombs actually, but they do a ton of damage.
Medusa: You can flee the first room by exiting to the right, which leads to a further section of the stage, then a temple where you fight her again. Strangely enough, it seems that it cannot be killed in the temple, and no matter how fast you deplete her life, she retreats, so there's no point to fleeing in the first place as the fight isn't even easier.
Arch Demon: If you take too long, the female monk places the holy tablet and light rains from the heavens, damaging it.
Wraith: If you run out of candles, you'll be forced to keep going right until you exit the stage.
Cyclops: One of those that I'm not aware if there's any time limit or similar. I once tried to force it by killing each cyclops but leaving the hands alone so more cyclops would enter the fray, but after 6-7 of them I gave up. Anyone knows?
Gargoyle Gate: Same, no clue if there's a way to not kill it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Red dragon: As described, if you exit the large room (pretty much necessary eventually as it's really tough to battle it there)
Pfft, I slaughtered him solo on Hard with my level 60 amazon without losing a life. xD I wonder if I just didn't get a lucky AI or something though... he was really a cinch, whereas he's usually problematic at least. I did have wyrmsbane etc. gear all stacked, but still, I had been dreading him on Hard and he was so pathetic... :D

Medusa: You can flee the first room by exiting to the right, which leads to a further section of the stage, then a temple where you fight her again. Strangely enough, it seems that it cannot be killed in the temple, and no matter how fast you deplete her life, she retreats, so there's no point to fleeing in the first place as the fight isn't even easier.
I've never actually ran to the right. So this one has no time limit, then? It just won't give you the talisman if you exit to the right? Sometimes I worry about other random players accidentally exiting the screen and ruining the fight, lol...

I think reinforcements arrive and
destroy the gate with more cannons if you fail to destroy it within the first 2 cannons provided, but I'm not sure.

I've had this issue where even though on the city screen my talismans would show correctly but while in random online the talisman list would either be full or empty and I wouldn't get any at the town return. Happened with multiple characters and I fixed it by changing difficulties at the temple then reverting to the difficulty i was on.

Might be related to that.
I'm still on Normal on that character. Weird. I tried the chimera again with another random and this time I got the talisman. Strangely enough, after the boss died I got a "synchronizing with host..." kind of message for a long time, then a message saying I had been disconnected, but I still got the spoils screen (with continue adventure/return to town) and the talisman. o_O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Still nothing. You'll trivialize anything in this game by stacking mods against said mob type. You traded a harder boss fight for farming antidraconic gear is all.
Uh, what? I didn't "farm" anything. I just organize my bags of loot smartly. :p Also, an anti-demonic bag didn't make the Gazer any less of a pain.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
ok folks - i finally got around to trying dragons crown. loved it for the most part.

thought the characters were a little slow/ not responsive enough.

that's besides the point though. I want to know if i should get the vita version or the ps3 version.

i didn't find the hand cursor THAT annoying on ps3 when i played, but what i did find difficult was to follow what was going in my 4player game on a 40 somthing inch tv. it was just a clusterfck. i dont know how that can translate on vita...but i want to knwo if 1 player looks clutttered up on the vita screen. can you notice all the...ahem.. secondary aniamtion etcon vitas screen?

whats peoples favorite version?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Some detail is lost on the Vita version, since it's 1/4 the pixels, but there's no difference other than that. I like playing on the PS3 version up until you unlock runes, at which point I transfer my save to the Vita and continue from there. The touch screen works wonders and is so much easier to play with that the right stick.

As for the confusing mess, that's something you'll get over in time. The upcoming patch adds a little more to help find you character when it gets busy (reducing spell effects and adding a marker at the bottom of the screen) but after a few hours I didn't have trouble knowing where my character should be.

i didn't find the hand cursor THAT annoying on ps3 when i played, but what i did find difficult was to follow what was going in my 4player game on a 40 somthing inch tv. it was just a clusterfck. i dont know how that can translate on vita...but i want to knwo if 1 player looks clutttered up on the vita screen. can you notice all the...ahem.. secondary aniamtion etcon vitas screen?

How far are you in the PS3 version? Hovering over hidden treasure or unlocking doors/chests is no problem but when you get to runes the sticky nature of the hand can be a HUGE PITA when you're trying to activate SOD or something else combat related mid-battle.

Pfft, I slaughtered him solo on Hard with my level 60 amazon without losing a life. xD I wonder if I just didn't get a lucky AI or something though... he was really a cinch, whereas he's usually problematic at least. I did have wyrmsbane etc. gear all stacked, but still, I had been dreading him on Hard and he was so pathetic... :D

I haven't actually faced Hard red dragon yet. I did fight it with two other people every time, I think, which seems to make him scale (no pun intended :D) like crazy. Since most of his attacks can hit everyone, we were getting trounced and barely doing any damage. Several times we even lost a few lives before we dropped him to like 2/3rds!

On the other hand, we might have been underleveled. I think one of us wasn't even 30 yet.

I've never actually ran to the right. So this one has no time limit, then? It just won't give you the talisman if you exit to the right? Sometimes I worry about other random players accidentally exiting the screen and ruining the fight, lol...

I once did just that (I was playing solo that time). She petrified me right next to the exit, and mashing the directions to get out of petrification... yeah.

I think reinforcements arrive and
destroy the gate with more cannons if you fail to destroy it within the first 2 cannons provided, but I'm not sure.

Ah, makes sense. When the second is destroyed they do tell you to use bombs, but I guess if you don't have enough and haven't fired the cannons it may end up in a stalemate anyway.

Quixzlizx

So I finally managed to get the Gourmand trophy. It was some random meat (not the chicken) I was missing in the Old Capital camp.

On the plus side, I got my elf up to 99 while spending 3 hours chaining and bashing my head against the wall.

Giolon

ok folks - i finally got around to trying dragons crown. loved it for the most part.

thought the characters were a little slow/ not responsive enough.

that's besides the point though. I want to know if i should get the vita version or the ps3 version.

whats peoples favorite version?

If I had to choose one, it would be the PS3 version. The artwork looks good on the Vita screen, but it looks AMAZING on a giant HDTV. There's also less slowdown, and I generally find it easier to keep track of my character and have a more reliable online experience than on Vita (which is not to say it's 100% reliable). However, the Vita version is just as competent as the console version, and one of the few instances I've played where it's really a true no-compromises console-to-handheld experience. Having the portable version available to take with me has definitely improved my opinion of the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hmm I thought Sorc got larger spell effects
Wizard got larger effect ranges with his magic boost but spells like Blizzard were made less obtrusive. The mists at the top and bottom of the screen are more transparent and there is less snow clouding up the middle.

For anyone curious, I opened up hard difficulty. Immediately my wife and I went and beat the Gazer. We beat him at level 32, so don't be scared of jumping right in. I was even using the Sorceress.

This isn't what I was expecting, but it looks like I enjoy playing as a Fighter the most. Are they useful online during the harder difficulties? Is the online mode saturated with this class? I'm playing on Vita.

Just finished the game on normal once with the Amazon. Should I go through the other characters on normal or continue with the Amazon on the harder settings. I still have a lot of side quests to finish.

Anyway, really enjoyed this game. Thought it was a bit too easy though.

Glad to see the game sold well over 200,000 in Japan already between the PS3 and Vita. It's interesting to see how well the game actually did though, I don't think MediaCreate or Famitsu track digital sales and I know I purchased the game digitally on the playstation store for Vita, and I know I'm not the only person to do that. Anyone else get it digitally?

Think we'll get a sequel with those numbers?

captainpat

He's already stated in an interview that he's exhausted all the ideas he would implement for this property so a sequel would be very unlikely.

Glad to see the game sold well over 200,000 in Japan already between the PS3 and Vita. It's interesting to see how well the game actually did though, I don't think MediaCreate or Famitsu track digital sales and I know I purchased the game digitally on the playstation store for Vita, and I know I'm not the only person to do that. Anyone else get it digitally?

Think we'll get a sequel with those numbers?

i don't know if we can get a sequel right away, but vanillaware can continue making good looking 2D games in the future. isn't this great?

Sanctuary

For anyone curious, I opened up hard difficulty. Immediately my wife and I went and beat the Gazer. We beat him at level 32, so don't be scared of jumping right in. I was even using the Sorceress.

The Sorceress has one of the easiest times out of all classes on that fight. The main issue would simply be killing Gazer before whoever you're with died instead. When playing with other players though, it's even easier unless someone is trying to move the screen, shoving the other players. All you have to do is split up the people on either side so that someone is always able to hit him and use skills.

Quixzlizx

Just finished the game on normal once with the Amazon. Should I go through the other characters on normal or continue with the Amazon on the harder settings. I still have a lot of side quests to finish.

Haven't you answered your own question?

So I think I've gotten to a point where no more sidequests seem to be added for me to take on Hard mode. I've just finished a whole bunch of quests and the only one left I can take is one that's been sitting there for a while now (the one where you have to use the Amazon, can't take it since I'm playing as the Sorceress at the moment). Does the game add any more sidequests on Infernal difficulty?

What is the trick to evading the rocks that fall after the red dragon plomps down on the ground? I swear those things have tracking. :-(

Also, lightning staff is OP for PvP.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
(the one where you have to use the Amazon, can't take it since I'm playing as the Sorceress at the moment). Does the game add any more sidequests on Infernal difficulty?
If you mean the quest to kill 50 orcs, you don't need to be the Amazon. Just pick the quest and they'll give you some quest item you need to equip and that's it.

So I think I've gotten to a point where no more sidequests seem to be added for me to take on Hard mode. I've just finished a whole bunch of quests and the only one left I can take is one that's been sitting there for a while now (the one where you have to use the Amazon, can't take it since I'm playing as the Sorceress at the moment). Does the game add any more sidequests on Infernal difficulty?

I believe Infernal opens up the "solo boss X" quests. Though I think I'm very wrong.

What is the trick to evading the rocks that fall after the red dragon plomps down on the ground? I swear those things have tracking. :-(

In my experience, they actually do. They seem to fall in two groups, and one of the rocks in the second is invariably headed for your head (er, no pun intended). It seems you have to anticipate this and dodge when you estimate the second group will fall, but this is one of the attacks in the game that I end up eating consistently.

On the subject of lightning wands/rods, while I myself don't like their moveset as much as the other two, they do have a few advantages:
1) Very few enemies, if any, seem to be resistant to lightning.
2) Conversely, a lot of enemies are vulnerable to it, including humans, the kraken, etc.
3) Down + O is the only guaranteed stun in the game that I know of (although to be honest I rarely use it).
4) Up + O does some of the best DPS/knockdown in the entire game. Alternating it with five quick rod pokes (for MP recovery and stun) is a pretty devastating close-up rotation. The ice/fire versions last longer but conversely hit less times per second
Lightning is my favorite, and I think I am in the minority on that. I think lightning is better support than ice, and better damage too. I usually go around doing d+O for guaranteed stun and let my teammates clear the field. With Curse, Petrification, Rock Press, and Blizzard, nothing moves unless I allow it to. I found Ice Prison and Gravity to be underwelming since some elite mobs can get through them, and I don't need help against normal mobs since they are all stunned from the lightning. Undead and trees usually get petrified since they are stun resistant. Mages get petrified for easy kills. Elites get cursed. Blizzard is saved for boss situations or for when I feel lazy, haha.

I like how lightning is effective no matter where you are on the screen, while ice and fire need to be in particular spots to be effective. Seven of my bags are lightning. I made an ice one just for the dragon bosses because they have so much health, and a fire one for who knows why. Everyone is welcome to play as they like, but I think most of the people who dislike lightning don't understand it. I really don't get the argument for ice, personally. 30% freeze chance vs 100% stun from lightning or 100% blowback from fire makes it seem like the worst crowd control element, yet people call it the best.

I just learned a neat trick for those that have the Amazon amulet as well as a Wizard, but not a Sorceress to farm Monocles. The Wizard glasses that returns 50% of the healing done as mana works even when you're at full health. So Ice's cyclone pretty much pays for itself as long as you're not using +%dmg for +%mana. It's the best pair of glasses you can use on a Wizard if you don't have a Sorceress. If you drop one or two of those in a huge add pile after draining some mana with one of the more damaging, but less hitting spells, you'll pretty much gain it all back.
I wish we could trade items, because I do not wish to grind my wizard up for this. I plan on taking this to the next level, though. If you get the money = healing ability, the wizard glasses that give MP from healing, and a staff that causes gold to drop when you hit enemies, there is a ton of mana regen going on. I am hoping that I can make lightning self-sufficient by combining that with the amazon amulet. That would be pretty fantastic.

Pachinko

I don't know about you guys but I don't think DC needs a sequel, much like Diablo and many PC games though I could see an expansion pack or deluxe edition coming out instead. Perhaps add a couple of extra dungeons , a handful of new enemies and a new character class but otherwise the core game is the same.

Kind of like a super street fighter 2 to street fighter 2 , same game with a few new things. Not a full blown sequel. Although doing this deluxe version on PS4 could be interesting- it runs at 720p as is right ? the graphics are basically vector based so maybe they could knock it up to 1080p and there's a touch pad on that dual shock so you avoid the only flaw with the ps3 version that way too.

Really though, I'm just glad we got the game we have at all. It's a huge bonus it's doing well though.

I don't know about you guys but I don't think DC needs a sequel, much like Diablo and many PC games though I could see an expansion pack or deluxe edition coming out instead. Perhaps add a couple of extra dungeons , a handful of new enemies and a new character class but otherwise the core game is the same.

Kind of like a super street fighter 2 to street fighter 2 , same game with a few new things. Not a full blown sequel. Although doing this deluxe version on PS4 could be interesting- it runs at 720p as is right ? the graphics are basically vector based so maybe they could knock it up to 1080p and there's a touch pad on that dual shock so you avoid the only flaw with the ps3 version that way too.

Really though, I'm just glad we got the game we have at all. It's a huge bonus it's doing well though.
Yeah, I want expansions, not sequels. Let me keep my character progress.

Also, I had a website that listed where you can get gear with various attributes. Does anyone have a link to that?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Now that my second favourite game of the year, Guacamelee has finally released is soundtrack on Bandcamp, I'm left wondering how long it'll take for Dragon's Crown. Hope they don't end up doing a disc only Japanese release or something silly.

Now that my second favourite game of the year, Guacamelee has finally released is soundtrack on Bandcamp, I'm left wondering how long it'll take for Dragon's Crown. Hope they don't end up doing a disc only Japanese release or something silly.

bandcamp? forget it. it will be on disc and maybe on some other digital service.

Pretty much all Japanese game companies are bad when it comes to international soundtrack releases outside of Square, so I wouldn't get too excited about that.

Himself

Suppose I'm doing some online adventuring, finish several levels, don't return to town ever, but die. Do I loose my loot/exp./etc.?

Finally got this on Vita last night. So fat it's cool, but taking me awhile to wrap my head around. I played a couple of missions as the fighter, since the game seemed to suggest it as good for new players.

Tried out a magician for a bit also, as I usually play mages in my RPGS. Found him harder to grasp though.

What's the deal with character classes? Are only some viable for rookies? And any general advice for a new player? Probably just gonna play solo for most of my time with the game...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Play whoever you want, none of the classes are ridiculously difficult to get in to. I'd recommend trying out each character's short tutorial and going from there.

The skill calculator will also give you a general idea on how the characters are expanded through their skill upgrades.

fruitriin.sakura.ne.jp/DrgnsCrwnSS/eng/

lunlunqq

Never cared about trophies that much; but here it is. I've own both PS3 and Vita from launch with hundreds of games. This is only my second platinum trophy so far.

xkoqGVo.jpg

Kraken: It breaks three cave columns, each one resulting in a wave, with the last sweeping you outside and it escaping.
Red dragon: As described, if you exit the large room (pretty much necessary eventually as it's really tough to battle it there) and can't kill it by the time the bridge ends, it falls down to its doom.
Chimera: Each floor of the tower gives way and you fight on each floor below. The last floor sends it to a lava lake, while you land on ground.
Killer Rabbit: Knights appear, carrying a crate of... you guessed it, Holy Hand Grenades. Well, regular bombs actually, but they do a ton of damage.
Arch Demon: If you take too long, the female monk places the holy tablet and light rains from the heavens, damaging it.
Wraith: If you run out of candles, you'll be forced to keep going right until you exit the stage.
Cyclops: One of those that I'm not aware if there's any time limit or similar. I once tried to force it by killing each cyclops but leaving the hands alone so more cyclops would enter the fray, but after 6-7 of them I gave up. Anyone knows?

Oh. Em. Gee. I have GOT to see some of those! I got a few because I took on that boss underleveled but others I just haven't seen.
OH EM GEE. DAT KILLER RABBIT. I have GOT to see that!! That's just way too funny XD

The B path bosses are actually timed. If you take too long then
either the boss escapes or you get backup and the boss is killed by them (rabbit, gargoyle gate, archdemon. If at the score screen you have the image of an open door it means you failed and won't get the talisman.
There is one exception ,the Old Capital B boss :
If you fight the red dragon in his treasure room then there is no time limit. If you escape through the tunnel you have until the stone bridge to kill him, otherwise it collapses and you fail.
Good to know! If only I can dodge the Red Dragon's flames in that freaking tiny arse room..

Einbroch

Banned
Dwarf is awesome. Grab, throw against the wall/edge, jump, in air up attack to carry them up, down attack to slam them down.

It's like a fighting game.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm about 6 hours into the game. Lucain is sending me to ancient temple ruins to animate statues using rune magic. There seems to be only 1 statue in the level and I have no idea how to animate it using magic. I tried everything. When I attack it, it crumbles in pieces and there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do. What am I missing?

Giolon

I'm about 6 hours into the game. Lucain is sending me to ancient temple ruins to animate statues using rune magic. There seems to be only 1 statue in the level and I have no idea how to animate it using magic. I tried everything. When I attack it, it crumbles in pieces and there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do. What am I missing?

Just to its right there are some runes ( L & F). Use the cursor hand to click on them.

Edit: you don't seen to be in the right place. The statue that needs animating is in the final boss chamber, and ther narrator will tell you that you need a golem of your own.

Top Bottom