• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

kubricks

It seems harder and harder for me to get into random online games.
Is there a stability problem on the latest patch or is the community dying this quick? ;(

It seems harder and harder for me to get into random online games.
Is there a stability problem on the latest patch or is the community dying this quick? ;(
There are hot pocket areas where lots of people aggregate. It tends to be hard to find people in Normal difficulty since everyone is up on Inferno now. I always find 4-man teams there, though.

Maybe it's time to make a GAF weekly play group.

maomaoIYP

Here is how I view each skill after playing for a while:
Ice Prison - best for lightning, since you can blast enemies from afar without worry. It's reasonably good for ice, but with fire you risk losing burn stacks

Rock Press - good for all three, since it tends to 1HKO enemies, and that's great no matter what element you use

Gravity - best for fire, since you can burn stack on all the enemies at once. Not as great with ice, since you could just freeze your enemies instead of gathering them with the time it takes. Rather pointless with lightning, since many of the enemies will die from your high damage attacks before they are gathered.

Blizzard - good for all three, but it's a shame to lose burn stacks with fire. In general this is a minor point, though, since it kills all non-elites anyway.

Curse - best with fire, since you can burn stack on the frogs, but there's no point to the ice freeze or lightning stun on the frogs. It's even frustrating and difficult to hit the frogs with lightning while getting full damage.

Petrification - worst with fire, since stoned enemies are immune to burn. Weak with ice, since you can't freeze and there's no point to it anyway. Best with lightning so you can put out hard damage.

I think this is the best likely spell spread for each element.

Ice: Blizzard, Rock Press, Protection, Create Food, and maybe Ice Prison if you want 5 spells
Lightning: Petrification, Blizzard, Rock Press, Protection, and maybe Ice Prison if you want 5 spells.
Fire: Curse, Rock Press, Gravity, Protection, and maybe Blizzard if you want 5 spells.
I assume you're playing LoC now that you've finished infernal.
This was my solo set up for LoC, works for all 99 levels. Get 3 bags of the same setup.
Ice staff - use with amazon amulet, main damage dealer + recovery. Main attacks used: up + O, jump + O (hold), stand + O (hold, can be infinitely quick cancelled into itself)
Fire staff - for zombies and all mid bosses except cyclops. Relying on burn stacks on normal enemies isn't efficient, but it will completely destroy mid bosses
Blizzard - self explanatory. The only spell which works well against ninja pirates
Rock press - self explanatory
Gravity - great against almost all enemies, exceptions include elite orcs and ninja pirates. Shoves them all into the same spot so I can blast them with jump + O (hold) or the stand + O (hold infinite cancel).
Protection - for stun immunity when tanking bosses

Things that were not useful:
Lightning staff - too much mana used, poor jumping ranged attack option
Petrification - enemies are spaced out after stoning and there's no efficient way to deal with them afterwards besides casting another spell
Curse - great for dealing with elites, but not easy to identify which frog is the elite you want to kill off fast.
Create food - playing carefully negates the need for this. Besides, if you can play well with all other characters there's no need to use this at all.
Ice prison - same reason as petrification

Yeah, I'm at that point.

I definitely disagree with you on Petrification. With 15 seconds to kill enemies, it doesn't matter how spaced they are. They die. If you have it at a low level, then sure, stuff won't die in 5 or 6 seconds. That's not enough time when everyone is that spread out. It's also less effective when you are playing alone, but I always play with my wife. She's actually leveling up an Amazon because Amazon + Sorceress has the best synergy.

I also don't understand your Curse complaint. Throw one fireball and watch the life bars - it's pretty easy to tell which one is the elite. Do you have life bars turned off or something?

I agree on Create Food. Suck less, folks.

I'm warming up to Ice Prison, and it's weird to see you say Ice Prison is not worth taking while Gravity is. They're very similar spells.

I get tired of people calling the Lightning staves underwhelming, and then citing the aerial attack - that's not meant for damage. The lightning staff gives you all the benefits of using fire (big damage) and ice (great CC) at the tradeoff of costing more MP. It's also more flexible than either other element due to the attacks available and the fact that no enemy in the game resists lightning. The range on the jumping attack is not a problem because you use neutral O to hit enemies that are far away. The only real downside to the lightning staff is that the tap O attack is way too expensive for what it does.

maomaoIYP

Yeah, I'm at that point.

I definitely disagree with you on Petrification. With 15 seconds to kill enemies, it doesn't matter how spaced they are. They die. If you have it at a low level, then sure, stuff won't die in 5 or 6 seconds. That's not enough time when everyone is that spread out. It's also less effective when you are playing alone, but I always play with my wife. She's actually leveling up an Amazon because Amazon + Sorceress has the best synergy.

I also don't understand your Curse complaint. Throw one fireball and watch the life bars - it's pretty easy to tell which one is the elite. Do you have life bars turned off or something?

I agree on Create Food. Suck less, folks.

I'm warming up to Ice Prison, and it's weird to see you say Ice Prison is not worth taking while Gravity is. They're very similar spells.

I get tired of people calling the Lightning staves underwhelming, and then citing the aerial attack - that's not meant for damage. The lightning staff gives you all the benefits of using fire (big damage) and ice (great CC) at the tradeoff of costing more MP. It's also more flexible than either other element due to the attacks available and the fact that no enemy in the game resists lightning. The range on the jumping attack is not a problem because you use neutral O to hit enemies that are far away. The only real downside to the lightning staff is that the tap O attack is way too expensive for what it does.

For petrification it matters if you're using it against elites. I don't normally cast spells against normal enemies unless I'm fighting elites that I can't handle, and that normally means ninja pirates are the only problem. Petrification takes them down for maybe 5s instead of the max 15s. Also they're invincible when invisible (which means you've got to time the spell, which is already inherently slower than others) and 5s isn't good for anything when you're further down into the LoC.

I don't use the fire staff unless I want to rely on burn stacks, which isn't often. Simply because: a jumping fireball does lets say, 5000 damage. It's roughly the same damage versus regulars or mid bosses. A burn stack on a regular enemy is roughly 100 damage but on a mid boss it's easily 1000. The damage difference of a burn stack versus a regular fireball is just too big a difference for it to be effective on a regular enemy. I find it much more effective to group them in the center of the screen and ice away for the health recovery.

Gravity sticks everyone into a singular point so you can just stand at a single spot and blast away. It does many hits of decent damage, and it works wonders for concentrating mobs in front of a boss so you can hit all of them in one go for massive health recovery.

I simply don't like the lightning staff's move list. I want to abuse levitation's +50% bonus, so 90% of my main attacks consist of the jump + O (hold) attack using ice/fire. It's an angled fireball (which has aoe on impact) and it puts me out of melee range. The lightning staff simply has no comparable attack. In addition although lightning's jump + O does damage across the Z axis, the hits are unreliable due to its random nature. Also, lightning's up + O is a poorer defensive option compared to ice.

As you go deeper into the LoC, damage is not a priority, but survival is. Hence, more hits at cheaper MP cost = efficient usage of the amazon amulet.

For petrification it matters if you're using it against elites. I don't normally cast spells against normal enemies unless I'm fighting elites that I can't handle, and that normally means ninja pirates are the only problem. Petrification takes them down for maybe 5s instead of the max 15s. Also they're invincible when invisible (which means you've got to time the spell, which is already inherently slower than others) and 5s isn't good for anything when you're further down into the LoC.
Focus on the elite for the first 5 seconds to kill it, then take your time with the rest.

I usually Curse pirates or just pop Blizzard.

I don't use the fire staff unless I want to rely on burn stacks, which isn't often. Simply because: a jumping fireball does lets say, 5000 damage. It's roughly the same damage versus regulars or mid bosses. A burn stack on a regular enemy is roughly 100 damage but on a mid boss it's easily 1000. The damage difference of a burn stack versus a regular fireball is just too big a difference for it to be effective on a regular enemy. I find it much more effective to group them in the center of the screen and ice away for the health recovery.
I dig the fire ticks for the same reason.

Gravity sticks everyone into a singular point so you can just stand at a single spot and blast away. It does many hits of decent damage, and it works wonders for concentrating mobs in front of a boss so you can hit all of them in one go for massive health recovery.
Yeah, but you have to lure a lot of enemies in there first. I can see it if you're playing solo, and from the way you post I think you are. When there are a lot of players, the enemies tend to not get dragged in efficiently since they are running around, and the drag just isn't as strong.

I simply don't like the lightning staff's move list. I want to abuse levitation's +50% bonus, so 90% of my main attacks consist of the jump + O (hold) attack using ice/fire. It's an angled fireball (which has aoe on impact) and it puts me out of melee range. The lightning staff simply has no comparable attack. In addition although lightning's jump + O does damage across the Z axis, the hits are unreliable due to its random nature. Also, lightning's up + O is a poorer defensive option compared to ice.
The purpose of the lightning moveset is just different from the other two. Up+O is the best offensive move, you don't use it for defense. Down+O is lightning's defensive move. Jump+O is used either for knocking a lot of enemies down to clear an area before you land or stunning a lot of enemies on lower difficulties. It's one of the more underwhelming lightning moves, which is why it's unfortunate that so many people judge the staff by that move. Like I said, neutral O is for AoE out of melee range. Lightning is definitely more about getting close and cozy to enemies, though. That's part of why I like it - very intense.

As you go deeper into the LoC, damage is not a priority, but survival is. Hence, more hits at cheaper MP cost = efficient usage of the amazon amulet.
I'm not even sure if I want the Amazon amulet for her. I am still thinking on that. The only thing I am 100% set on is the 50% more damage from status effects belt. Goddamn that is delicious.

The nice thing about lightning is that with neutral O, you can snipe from anywhere. Lightning's best moves are in the enemy's face, but I don't necessarily need to go in, and I rarely feel the need for healing outside of fighting the harder bosses in the game.

onionfrog

We'll have to play sometime.
Absolutely. I still need to unlock online play though.

I had no idea that this game had rideable animals ala golden axe until I did the side quest for it last night.

I'm not too far into the game yet, just finished the ghost ship stage and recovered the royal orb.

The art style in this game is simply beautiful.

totally forgot to download the free voice pack. now it isn't free anymore. i wish there was a notice in game for these things.

i know you can buy the fighters voice in the game. will the other voices ever be available in game?

maomaoIYP

totally forgot to download the free voice pack. now it isn't free anymore. i wish there was a notice in game for these things.

i know you can buy the fighters voice in the game. will the other voices ever be available in game?

You can buy all of them, you just need to beat normal mode with that character first.

http://dragons-crown.com/info/2013/10/ps3psvita-4.html

An update that allows PS Vita and PS3 cross-play.

iHCuZdnSeBujd.gif

Do we know if this is online too or offline only?

Do we know if this is online too or offline only?

...is there any way of the Vita communicating with the PS3 without involving the internet in some way? I expect this will be online.

In other news, EU release is this Friday, and I have put down a pre-order on Amazon UK for the Vita version, with added artbook goodness.

Megaton. Vanillaware ftw.

Yep, saw it on a dedicated. That IS amazing. This might be the one single Japanese game I own that I've seen most post-release support for, ever. (I've seen that the support for Soul Sacrifice is insane but I don't (yet) own it).

Additionally, if I'm reading Google's translation correctly, items can now be marked so as not to be sold accidentally (which is great), and an option can be toggled so that NPCs won't join your "open" slots (only online players (also great). They keep delivering, mang.

I feel like the cross-play update announcement deserves its own thread. That is the sort of developer support that deserves applause.

I was actually about to make one, but I searched and found one instead

Shame really, that could have been my first thread made on GAF ever lol. Oh well, some other time I guess. I blame classes for making me miss the thread, darn you college education :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Google translate ain't so great but that site also suggests that you can "protect" loot to not accidentally sell it. That might be nice for me 'cause I often keep lower level S-loot (mostly amulets but sometimes boots, belts etc.) for other characters that are lower level.

There's also something about adjusting "skill effect of classes" and "NPC behaviour" but I have no idea what that could be, plus lost in translation no doubt.

Got my copy today, didn't get my artbook though which was a bummer. I went straight hometown when I got to the character select screen. Aw yeah

Holy shit! This game is beautiful. OLED all up in my eyes. OMG

edit: maybe I'm blind but I'm having a hard time keeping track of what's going on playing the Vita version, especially when the camera zooms out with 4 players. Think I might get the PS3 version tomorrow as well. Game is badass when I can see what I'm doing lol

Played PS3 version for a bit, much easier to parry now. Totally ruining shit with the Amazon. I booty splashed the Warlock boss and got a freeze frame right there. GOTY

I'm trying to stick with the one character because when I'm given the option I tend to make one of every one, replay the beginning of the game over and over and burn myself out completely but man, I wanna make an Elf :(

Played PS3 version for a bit, much easier to parry now. Totally ruining shit with the Amazon. I booty splashed the Warlock boss and got a freeze frame right there. GOTY

I'm trying to stick with the one character because when I'm given the option I tend to make one of every one, replay the beginning of the game over and over and burn myself out completely but man, I wanna make an Elf :(

I finished Normal Mode with all 6 characters but I still can't get enough (getting through Hard with all of them, level 50 with a couple of them). VanillaWare finally managed to make repetition not matter that much, at least for me.

Scrabble

For the sorceress should I advance in Thunderhead or Blizzard? I already put about 4 levels into Thunder, but then went ahead and tried blizzard and I could see that being much more effective.

Also if I decide to just roll with one bag most of the time will that be fine? Does higher level play demand 5+ plus equipment bags all with differing equipment?

Bombless

Thunderhead sucks. Blizzard is a no brainer. And yes, once you start chaining dungeons to get more/better loot you will need multiple bags to switch when equipment breaks.

Scrabble

Thunderhead sucks. Blizzard is a no brainer. And yes, once you start chaining dungeons to get more/better loot you will need multiple bags to switch when equipment breaks.

There's no penalty for using the same spells for different bags right? Like if I use up all my blizzard uses in one bag and switch to another with blizzard in it, it'll refill my uses?

Bombless

There's no penalty for using the same spells for different bags right? Like if I use up all my blizzard uses in one bag and switch to another with blizzard in it, it'll refill my uses?

Think of your spells as spellbooks with X charges. You can put them in all bags but you only read from the bag you are currently using. So yes, you can have Blizzard in each bag and once exhausted you can change bags to use it again.

Endo Punk

Got the PS3 version with the art book. Immediately I ws awe-struck but just how beautiful the game looks, watching a video online and seeing the game on your HDTV. Big fucking difference.

Anyway, chose Dwarf as my character and named him Octobro, lol. Prob stupid question but how do you play online co-op?

For the sorceress should I advance in Thunderhead or Blizzard? I already put about 4 levels into Thunder, but then went ahead and tried blizzard and I could see that being much more effective.

Also if I decide to just roll with one bag most of the time will that be fine? Does higher level play demand 5+ plus equipment bags all with differing equipment?
You strongly benefit from multiple bags.

Thunderhead is mega bad.

are the EU versions of this fully localised or in english?

Would like to know this as well.

Also, anyone knows if the save of the US version of the game can be downloaded to the EU version? This is the only thing that's keeping me from buying the EU Vita version right now.

JimPanzer

Would like to know this as well.

Also, anyone knows if the save of the US version of the game can be downloaded to the EU version? This is the only thing that's keeping me from buying the EU Vita version right now.

bought it anyway :) will let you know when I finished downloading.

edit: so the version I bought in the german PSN store is completely in english!

as far as I know you can download savegames from other regions as well

Top Bottom