• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

KuroNeeko

Ran into the
vampiress
for the first time today with my Elf. She's still level 11, so my backstab wasn't that high. Was really depressing watching each
maiden get drained and then converted into a vampire
. I ended losing them all.

I'm surprised to see people recommend an all-ranged elf. She seems like she has a very versatile skill set so you can play pretty much whatever you want. I'm probably going to try for a backstab elf, but I've being using her elemental attacks a lot more now as well. Such a fun character.

Elf has magic? Arrows and kicking all day every day here.

Her Wind magic is actually pretty useful. It stacks well and can be used like a shield to keep smaller, weaker foes at bay. It also does pretty good damage to bosses.

kubricks

I'm surprised to see people recommend an all-ranged elf.

You perception might change when you get to inferno and deep Loc(?), where you can only take 2 or 3 hits before you die. Not saying close range ELF won't work tho'.

In normal anything works... I think I can probably complete normal with a bare handed Amazon. ;D

Playerlist update

So yeah, the game's been out for a while now, so I feel that the "first character" column is a bit out of date. Tastes change after all, you may have stuck with your first class as your main class to use like I have, maybe you realized "this class ain't for me, might as well try someone else". So with that I've changed the poll question. Rather than asking what your first class was, I'm now asking for what your main class is. That way if you need to find someone of a certain class to help with a task or you're just tired of having 4 of the same class type in online, or whatever the reason may be, it'll be easier to find people based on that. I was actually going to roll this out later in the week, but it was suggested in an addition to the list today so I thought "I'll just speed it up a few days if I'm not the only one thinking about this lol"

So yeah, if you're on the list and if you're interested in being a part of this statistic just send me a PM and I'll update the class field for you. I'll hold off on making this the statistic for a poll until enough people have provided me information on this.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So I hopped back on and got all the Talismans on my Level 29 Amazon. Then I see a download for a new patch. Was this the patch that balanced out her Berserk because if it is, I'm about to ruin asses.

maouvin

Patch 1.03 is up, people.

(Thanks corrosivefrost @ Vita thread)

EDIT: and of course, the patch notes are as good as always.

There's a new option named "Player Marker", which allows you to show the colored triangles to everyone, only you or hide them all. But there's an option called "Player Circle". Any idea what it's for?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good, was waiting for this one top hit before coming back. Really didn't like the player markers.

Think the player circle had been there from the start: the empty circle outline that was under your characters model, right? I'll check when I get to my Vita this evening.

Zoe

Good. I wouldn't have minded if those things actually fit in with the aesthetic, but they were simply hideous.

kubricks

Is the Amazon slighty un-nerfed then? Might have to try that blasted infernal dragon again... :p

Just play for a bit on the new patch with the Amazon;
1) I seems to be able to hold on to the weapon much better now, no more getting knock out of the weapon from a single fireball that is bland with the group of enemy.
2) The character seems faster at BL-0/1 and slower in BL-3 than before (tbc by better players). I'd say this is a great call! It makes the character relying less on berserk and a bit more consistent, while not as OP in BL-3. Since BL-0 is faster, you don't have to parry spam to get your momentum, you can now just DR or ground combo to start the flow.

I am liking this new patch, overall it felt much nicer to play as Amazon, while not as OP as in earlier 1.00 / 1.01 patch, and not as annoying/flow breaking as 1.02.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just play for a bit on the new patch with the Amazon;
1) I seems to be able to hold on to the weapon much better now, no more getting knock out of the weapon from a single fireball that is bland with the group of enemy.
2) The character seems faster at BL-0/1 and slower in BL-3 than before (tbc by better players). I'd say this is a great call! It makes the character relying less on berserk and a bit more consistent, while not as OP in BL-3. Since BL-0 is faster, you don't have to parry spam to get your momentum, you can now just DR or ground combo to start the flow.

I am liking this new patch, overall it felt much nicer to play as Amazon, while not as OP as in earlier 1.00 / 1.01 patch, and not as annoying/flow breaking as 1.02.

Yeah, just killed the ancient dragon on infernal solo, first try (well, not the first first try, but I mean I didn't die since I tried with that patch). I think the ability to hold on to the axe + keeping berserk a while longer helped tremendously. I'd often die while out of potions, but now I had plenty left too, though I did lose two lives (mostly my fault, was taking chances at fighting at low HP for the Adrenaline boost and didn't pay attention to my defense tonic expiration).

Oh man this feels good, I was seriously despairing. I think the nerf had really hurt me, I would have probably slaughtered it pre-patch.

LoC, here I come.

kubricks

Yeah, just killed the ancient dragon on infernal solo, first try (well, not the first first try, but I mean I didn't die since I tried with that patch). I think the ability to hold on to the axe + keeping berserk a while longer helped tremendously. I'd often die while out of potions, but now I had plenty left too, though I did lose two lives (mostly my fault, was taking chances at fighting at low HP for the Adrenaline boost and didn't pay attention to my defense tonic expiration).

Oh man this feels good, I was seriously despairing. I think the nerf had really hurt me, I would have probably slaughtered it pre-patch.

LoC, here I come.

YAY!!
By the way I just tried beating the Ancient Dragon with my Lvl92 Amazon again and got my ass kicked the first two tries... so yeah, the damage nerf from 1.00/1.01 patch do affect her OPness somewhat. XD

Cheddahz

Banned
Amazon Warehouse had a Vita copy for $30, so I picked it up!

From what I understand, you can't play the online until you beat the single player, so I'll add my PSN ID when I actually complete the single player

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Amazon Warehouse had a Vita copy for $30, so I picked it up!

From what I understand, you can't play the online until you beat the single player, so I'll add my PSN ID when I actually complete the single player
You need to do about half of the game before unlocking online.

maouvin

That's cool with me. Is the half of the game you need to play before you unlock online hard?

By "half of the game", she means "half of normal mode". It might be a bit challenging depending on how quickly you get the grasp of your character, but it's not hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, by half the game I mean half the levels, really. The game doesn't really end once you beat Normal. I beat it on Infernal but still have the
Labyrinth of Chaos
left myself... :)

Cheddahz

Banned
By "half of the game", she means "half of normal mode". It might be a bit challenging depending on how quickly you get the grasp of your character, but it's not hard.

Yeah, by half the game I mean half the levels, really. The game doesn't really end once you beat Normal. I beat it on Infernal but still have the
Labyrinth of Chaos
left myself... :)

Sounds good. I'm probably going to go with the Elf (since I like playing as an archer in my game and such). I'm really excited to play this

I almost have one of every character with all three difficulties beaten...whew.

Then I just have to grind out Amazon amulets for everyone. o_O

maouvin

Dat life leech.

Damn, I'll probably clock more (farming) playtime in DC than Borderlands 2 due to the char-specific LoC loot (well, one more char to 99 and DC might take over already).

Is this the last reward of
Labyrinth of Chaos
for the amazon ?

What does it do ?

Heals 1 HP/hit. Reward for Floor 7.

Is this the last reward of
Labyrinth of Chaos
for the amazon ?

What does it do ?
Recovery 1 HP every time you hit an opponent. It's really good for a lot of characters. If you pop up+O attack with an ice staff, for example, you'll regenerate like 12 HP. If you catch like 4 enemies in the whirl, you're going to regenerate about 50 health. Very nice to have.

On that note: does the amulet recover HP via burn ticks?

I almost have one of every character with all three difficulties beaten...whew.

Wait, can you get floor rewards more than once? I assumed you only get them the first time you beat each floor. If you can get multiples, that'll make me much less worried about accidentally selling them.

maouvin

Wait, can you get floor rewards more than once? I assumed you only get them the first time you beat each floor. If you can get multiples, that'll make me much less worried about accidentally selling them.

Aye - with non-yellow stats randomized and all. And if you want lvl 99 versions of the chaos itens from floors 1-8, beat floors 10-17 to get them.

You can't farm amnesia potions this way, tho, but you get one each time you beat floor 99.

Yes, you can get them more than once. I farmed up like 5 of the first Sorceress staff because it is so darn good.

Here is how I view each skill after playing for a while:
Ice Prison - best for lightning, since you can blast enemies from afar without worry. It's reasonably good for ice, but with fire you risk losing burn stacks

Rock Press - good for all three, since it tends to 1HKO enemies, and that's great no matter what element you use

Gravity - best for fire, since you can burn stack on all the enemies at once. Not as great with ice, since you could just freeze your enemies instead of gathering them with the time it takes. Rather pointless with lightning, since many of the enemies will die from your high damage attacks before they are gathered.

Blizzard - good for all three, but it's a shame to lose burn stacks with fire. In general this is a minor point, though, since it kills all non-elites anyway.

Curse - best with fire, since you can burn stack on the frogs, but there's no point to the ice freeze or lightning stun on the frogs. It's even frustrating and difficult to hit the frogs with lightning while getting full damage.

Petrification - worst with fire, since stoned enemies are immune to burn. Weak with ice, since you can't freeze and there's no point to it anyway. Best with lightning so you can put out hard damage.

I think this is the best likely spell spread for each element.

Ice: Blizzard, Rock Press, Protection, Create Food, and maybe Ice Prison if you want 5 spells
Lightning: Petrification, Blizzard, Rock Press, Protection, and maybe Ice Prison if you want 5 spells.
Fire: Curse, Rock Press, Gravity, Protection, and maybe Blizzard if you want 5 spells.

Personally, I run Lightning with Petrification, Blizzard, Rock Press, and Curse right now. I'm thinking about going in one of these directions:
1) Add a fire staff for full Curse utility for my 5th slot and proper elemental abuse.
2) Add Ice Prison in for a 5th CC option.
3) Add Protection in for team fights.

While I really like Curse, I find that the enemy rarely dies while a frog. My teammates aren't great at catching the frog, and Lightning has no consistent way to deal high damage to frogs because they bounce everywhere from up+O. Petrification always results in a dead screen, I love it and so do my fellow players. Rock Press and Blizzard are no-brainers, so it's really a question of whether I should drop Curse for Ice Prison or Protection, and what I should do with my 5th bag slot.

Thoughts?

Binabik15

I can't get into this. I want to play the Amazon, butat lvl 7 I doubt she ever berserked. The game puts retarded wizzards into the dungeons and I can't see shit with their fire nukes on the whole screen (and friendly firing me?!). How the hell do I get berserk? The internet tells me to get ~30 hits in and not get hit, how the hell am I supposed to do that when I can't even see my character.

Dwarf might be better, as you don't need to build up berserk, but he looks less sprite based and really fake during some animations, putting me off him visually.

Right now it's just walking around, getting annoyed at AI and hitting things together with my bro until they're dead, no real finesse or tactics, hoping for that moment where the polearm wielding gal hulks out and does some real damage. And I'm not usually that bad at action games, played a ton of Streets of Rage 2 when I was younger.

Help.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't play with AIs, especially not mages. Go in the Tavern, under "select allies" press triangle on each slot, or if you want AIs that bad, pick melee ones so you can see what goes on in your screen.

You don't need to hit 30x to get Berserk (WTF)? Sometimes one hit is all it takes. You can tell when berserk triggers when a red glow appears over her, plus she'll move around faster.

Yes, you can get them more than once. I farmed up like 5 of the first Sorceress staff because it is so darn good.

That's awesome, thanks! :)

Thoughts?

I'd love to see some of the reviewers that qualified this games as a "mindless button masher" read your write-up.

Great insight and I'll keep your post handy for future reference. For some reason I never thought of spell/status effect synergy like that; I tended to complement wand element with spell elements (say, putting Blizzard with the Fire and Lightning wands) so that I could have a backup damage source for elemental resisting enemies (especially for Labyrinth of Chaos). I'll give it thought next time I play and will post any synergy/discord I otherwise find.

On another note, I also love Curse. I actually maxed it on a GAFer's recommendation that it was useless at level 1 but awesome at level 3. It's a bit of an odd design choice, with most other skills having a much more gradual curve that doesn't force one to max the skill to see any real use out of it. It's almost a "hidden" skill.

Oh, random question. I've not used Petrify much, do enemies have to be looking in your direction for it to work? I guess this is academic in single player, as there's no one else they can look at. :D

I can't get into this. I want to play the Amazon, butat lvl 7 I doubt she ever berserked. The game puts retarded wizzards into the dungeons and I can't see shit with their fire nukes on the whole screen (and friendly firing me?!). How the hell do I get berserk? The internet tells me to get ~30 hits in and not get hit, how the hell am I supposed to do that when I can't even see my character.

Dwarf might be better, as you don't need to build up berserk, but he looks less sprite based and really fake during some animations, putting me off him visually.

Right now it's just walking around, getting annoyed at AI and hitting things together with my bro until they're dead, no real finesse or tactics, hoping for that moment where the polearm wielding gal hulks out and does some real damage. And I'm not usually that bad at action games, played a ton of Streets of Rage 2 when I was younger.Help.

What Morrigan said (absolutely do not use AI companions, disable them). There's also no friendly fire in this game (outside of the town, where it's there for playful/test purposes, as you don't actually get damaged or even consume items), so you might be getting nailed by enemy casters, some of which have spells that erupt from your feet.

Additionally, you're yet missing a crucial skill for the amazon, Punisher, which is unlocked at level 10, and basically doubles every hit on your regular combo, effectively making you reach Berserk 2x as fast. Even so, you probably already reached Berserker level 1 without noticing, you can do so simply by hitting Rannie over and over in town. Without Punisher, around five hits, i.e. a full ground combo and one or two hits from the next, will send you into Berserker level one. With Punisher (any level, as further Punisher level only affect damage in this regard) you get into Berserker LV1 with just the first two hits of the combo! There's a distinct sound and an aura flash when you reach each Berserker level; the easiest way of telling you reached level 1 is because your walk animation is replaced by a sort of jog.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah, forgot that Punisher does that. My amazon is like level 94 so I don't much recall what it was like to play her without that skill. xD

But yeah, Binabik (cool MS&T reference btw!), don't give up on your Amazon. She's really so much fun to play with. I strongly recommend you solo as often as possible, so you can get a better idea of what goes on and you'll learn how to play her better if you see what you're doing. Only summon AIs if things get really too difficult for you (maybe on Hard and Infernal but so far I've solo'ed everything with her, though I play coop with other characters), but for the Normal mode you shouldn't have too many problems.

The Amazon sucks and is boring to play until around level 14. Stick with her, she becomes amazing.

That's awesome, thanks! :)

I'd love to see some of the reviewers that qualified this games as a "mindless button masher" read your write-up.

Great insight and I'll keep your post handy for future reference. For some reason I never thought of spell/status effect synergy like that; I tended to complement wand element with spell elements (say, putting Blizzard with the Fire and Lightning wands) so that I could have a backup damage source for elemental resisting enemies (especially for Labyrinth of Chaos). I'll give it thought next time I play and will post any synergy/discord I otherwise find.

On another note, I also love Curse. I actually maxed it on a GAFer's recommendation that it was useless at level 1 but awesome at level 3. It's a bit of an odd design choice, with most other skills having a much more gradual curve that doesn't force one to max the skill to see any real use out of it. It's almost a "hidden" skill.

Oh, random question. I've not used Petrify much, do enemies have to be looking in your direction for it to work? I guess this is academic in single player, as there's no one else they can look at.
Another tidbit in favor of Ice Prison for lightning: enemies cannot be launched over the ice so you cab fire away without losing damage. I just need to convince my wife that it is better for lightning than Curse.

I don't think about balancing my elements too much because nothing resists lightning. I have 7 bags with lightning staves, and then 1 fire for lost woods because treents have so much health, and 1 ice for killing the ancient and red dragons. I can do these levels fine with lightning, but proper elements just make them faster. Also, the spell books have so much utility that their element is really of secondary concern.

Enemies have to be looking at you for Petrification to work, and the skill needs a good 5 points before it becomes useful. When maxed, it locks the whole screen down for 15 seconds. Enemies having to lookbat you is not a problem even in 4 player games, because you want to use the spell right when a fight starts. Enemies always come from both screen sides and face the center, so they are technically facing you. I know what enemy sets I want to pertrify (elites that are stun resistant, like skeletons and ghouls), so I pop the spell right when I see the elites show up.

Hey, is this still worth buying for Vita in NA? I meant to get it when it came out this summer, but university got in the way, so I just kind of forgot about it. It still looks like a great game, but I want to make sure the online is still alive.

maouvin

Hey, is this still worth buying for Vita in NA? I meant to get it when it came out this summer, but university got in the way, so I just kind of forgot about it. It still looks like a great game, but I want to make sure the online is still alive.

Online's still alive, but not at any time of the day like the first month. Had no trouble to get into full parties (on infernal) this last weekend. On weekdays it's a tad hard, but might be due to my play hours and timezone (gmt-3).

And the EU version is coming out soon (this week?) to liven things a bit.

Cheddahz

Banned

I actually ordered the game a few days ago for the Vita (I'm in NA as well) and I've heard the online is still kicking and with Europe finally getting the game, there'll be more people on now

Raist

Banned
So I just started having a look at the LoC. Are bosses completely random or will it be the same series of bosses on each floor? Almost got my ass kicked by the Red Dragon. I have a rather good anti-dragon set but obviously didn't see him coming :p

Quixzlizx

So I just started having a look at the LoC. Are bosses completely random or will it be the same series of bosses on each floor? Almost got my ass kicked by the Red Dragon. I have a rather good anti-dragon set but obviously didn't see him coming :p

They're random in the LoC, so you're better off with well-rounded sets, or multiple anti-demonic sets.

Personally I virtually never play with strangers. I either solo, or play with my GF (which fortunately liked this game a lot more than she did Mystara collection) and/or a couple of friends. The game doesn't need a lot of players to be fun, frankly, and even solo it's a frigging blast.

MrBS

I finally beat the game with all characters and completed the gallery. Good times. I had a quick go of the extra content but I'm done with this game for the time being. Time to attack something in the backlog.

This is the first title where I made heavy use of the cross save function between PS3 & Vita. Such a great feature.

onionfrog

I just picked this up last week.
As a huge fan of 2D beat em ups, I've gotta say that this game is pretty amazing.

I've only played an hour or two as an elf so far, but I'm really digging it.

Top Bottom