• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

badgenome

I'm about 6 hours into the game. Lucain is sending me to ancient temple ruins to animate statues using rune magic. There seems to be only 1 statue in the level and I have no idea how to animate it using magic. I tried everything. When I attack it, it crumbles in pieces and there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do. What am I missing?

It's past that point. The narrator will let you know when you get there.

I've played about 4 hours now, and the game is really clicking for me now. I like it.

After trying the tutorial for all the characters, I think I like the archer, maybe the Soceress second. Something tells me that I should spend some more time with the dwarf though- I have a feeling his grapples/throws could lead to some fun gameplay.

Those that have played the game a lot- what's your fave character? Do you switch up, or generally stick with one?

Giolon

I've played about 4 hours now, and the game is really clicking for me now. I like it.

After trying the tutorial for all the characters, I think I like the archer, maybe the Soceress second. Something tells me that I should spend some more time with the dwarf though- I have a feeling his grapples/throws could lead to some fun gameplay.

Those that have played the game a lot- what's your fave character? Do you switch up, or generally stick with one?

Amazon is my favorite. There's nothing quite like turning into a human blender. The i-frames she gets while whirlwinding are priceless too. She's my highest character at Level 80.

I also really like Elf for her nimbleness and variety of gameplay options. There's something really satisfying about launching arrows into enemies. I've got her up to 47.

Sorceress I've had a lot of fun with her Curse, Blizzard, and Gravity spells and of course Revive Skeleton even though it ceases to be useful past Normal difficulty. She's my 2nd highest character at this point at 50. I find her animations so endearing that I can't help but be amused by her. I love how she's constantly holding on to her hat - as if that's the most important thing to hold in place! lol

Dwarf feels like I'm playing a wrestler - picking up my foes and tossing them around, then smashing my hammers on them and beating this shit out of them barehanded.

Fighter is a little blah - having to block first to get his attack power buff and then launching into Tempest Edge which is incredibly unsafe. Other players and AI pretty much refuse to stand in my block & buff aura even when I provide it in optimal locations for them.

And Wizard - at this point as the last class I'm playing, he feels too much like a more boring version of Sorceress since he just has straight up damage spells for the most part. Slow is amazing though. I'm hoping that once the 1.02 patch makes its way state side, they added differentiation between him and the Sorceress to make his gameplay feel more unique (they gave him a buff when his MP is full or even over-full). I only have him at like level 8.

One question: my elf archer is level 10 now, and I just unlocked a skill where I fire poison arrows.

The thing is, the game didn't tell me how to use the skill, and after playing for 20 minutes I can't figure it out.

What am I missing?

Giolon

One question: my elf archer is level 10 now, and I just unlocked a skill where I fire poison arrows.

The thing is, the game didn't tell me how to use the skill, and after playing for 20 minutes I can't figure it out.

What am I missing?

Toxic Extract and Salamander Oil both create a new skill item that you must put in your inventory while in town. They are on the S tab where all skills go. Once you've got them in your inventory, using them will toggle the weapon coating on/off. There's not much difference when you shoot arrows straight at a target w/ a coating (though I believe it will change the damage type), but if you fire the arrows into the ground either from an air shot or by firing them up into the air, they will explode into a cloud of poison/plume of fire that will remain for some time.

The flame breath always comes right after the dragon does the non-jumping stomp shockwave attack. Just run to the other side of the screen and jump the flame blast.

Thank you! That's the ONE boss that I just haven't been able to dodge. I tried using my Sorceress flight over the flames then he immediately replies with falling rocks. Derp. That treasure room must have at least 40 skeletons of my Sorceress...

I don't know about you guys but I don't think DC needs a sequel, much like Diablo and many PC games though I could see an expansion pack or deluxe edition coming out instead. Perhaps add a couple of extra dungeons , a handful of new enemies and a new character class but otherwise the core game is the same.

Kind of like a super street fighter 2 to street fighter 2 , same game with a few new things. Not a full blown sequel. Although doing this deluxe version on PS4 could be interesting- it runs at 720p as is right ? the graphics are basically vector based so maybe they could knock it up to 1080p and there's a touch pad on that dual shock so you avoid the only flaw with the ps3 version that way too.

Really though, I'm just glad we got the game we have at all. It's a huge bonus it's doing well though.

The rune system needs a rework imo. Especially on console. Most rune combos are terrible and the sticky hand is just clunky in combat.

After messing around with all the characters for a level or two, I THINK I'm gonna stick with the Sorceress as my main, see how that goes.

The rune system needs a rework imo. Especially on console. Most rune combos are terrible and the sticky hand is just clunky in combat.

This 1000000%

Especially for rooms there are only one possible rune spell like The Skeleton Key, Treasure Hunters Friend, Solomon's Flying Carpet, etc. Order not mattering is nice, but shit, if I've done it once, if Tiki could just automatically use those spells, it'd be a huge relief.

Rooms with O could go Salve of Life or Sigil of Death, but yeah, using SoD during combat? Bwahhahahahahha....No.

I keep wanting to use COW as a rune spell which sends a bovine catapulted into the room and it turns into a bunch of beef steaks when it hits the floor. Fetchez la vache!

EDIT: BEST. GUIDE. EVER. Pity it's in JP
http://www.4gamer.net/games/134/G013480/FC20130713001/

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm at the final dragon boss, but he keeps kicking my ass. I'm level 35 with level 32-34 allies. Are there any tips for taking him down or do I just need to keep grinding?

Owensboro

Whew! Just Platinum-ed the game and it was actually a lot of fun right up until that last character. My completion order was Dwarf(Normal, Hard, Infernal) -> Sorceress(N) -> Wizard(N) -> Dwarft Labyrinth(I) -> Elf(N) -> Soldier(N) -> Amazon (N). I'm pretty surprised at how much fun I had playing and learning the new characters even thought it was through the same content over and over. I also enjoyed switching the narrator to whatever class I was playing, mostly just for when the actor/actress had to do the "crazy voice" for the Lost Woods. I got really burned out by the time I played the Amazon though, as I didn't have the patience to get good at dodging or Parrying attacks. I'm sure she gets crazy fun once you start dodging everything and keeping your Berserk up. Oh, and holy crap does the cooking minigame suck when you just want to power through the last bit of a character!

I'm at the final dragon boss, but he keeps kicking my ass. I'm level 35 with level 32-34 allies. Are there any tips for taking him down or do I just need to keep grinding?

That boss is scaled to the players you bring into the fight, so it's actually a detrement to take in a bunch of NPCs that are around your same level. Not only do they fight like idiots, they give the boss more HP. If you are 35 you should be able to solo it no problem, just get a strategy for
the bolts he shoots at the towers, and the skeletons that pop up. If the skeletons give you too much trouble you can psyche them out by throwing the crossbow on the 2nd tier of one of the towers
. As a Dwarf solo I think I had to try two or three times to get his patterns down,
protect at least one tower
and to bring the right amount of healing and strength potions.

pizza dog

Banned
Just picked this up ahead of some business travel next week. Played the tiniest amount, think I'm going to play as the Knight or whatever he's called. Also tried dwarf and archer, archer seemed pretty OK and I liked Dwarf's tossin', but dat Knight stab feels real good and he seems a little less squishy for playin' alone.

Kinda pumped, kind of already uneasy about the T&A. That magic shop lady... her tatas are literally busting out around her top.

Today on hard, I discovered that you can reflect the little magic missiles the ancient dragon shoots out from afar back at him. It does like 4k damage per bolt. You can just attack the bolts and it works. Old news for many, I am sure, but news for others.

Today on hard, I discovered that you cab reflect the little magic missiles the ancient dragon shoots out from afar back at him. It does like 4k damage per bolt. You can just attack the bolts and it works. Old news for many, I am sure, but news for others.

Yeah I remembered when I discovered that on complete accident I was all "wait wut you can send these back at him?" Nice to see that after already getting whooped two times before that on normal as it definitely made the fight easier.

Bombless

Dragon's Crown cosplay from Dragon Con courtesy of our prolific cosplay photographer Dtjaaaam.

9703893797_b3239268fb_c.jpg

PS3 or Vita version guys?

It's up to preference really. The Vita has the benefit of being portable though it is prone to framerate dips. They aren't gamebreaking but are noticeable, mainly from lots of stuff going on between Sorceress/Wizard spells, etc. PS3 version has a more stable framerate but instead of using the touchscreen for things like activating runes in the dungeons, you have to move the right stick around on screen to do it, and it's kinda weird imo.

Zoe

Just jumped in a few nights ago and am slowly getting the hand of this.

If Rannie picks up the loot/money on his own, does it not count?

And the Wizard AI sucks. He keeps healing enemies.

Giolon

Just jumped in a few nights ago and am slowly getting the hand of this.

If Rannie picks up the loot/money on his own, does it not count?

And the Wizard AI sucks. He keeps healing enemies.

You can't heal enemies in this game. They only have resistances, not absorption. You might be mistaking the fact that the colors of the damage numbers match the player slot the character is in (P1 = Red, P2 = Blue, P3 = Yellow, P4 = Green)

Loot Rannie picks up still counts.

Zoe

You can't heal enemies in this game. They only have resistances, not absorption. You might be mistaking the fact that the colors of the damage numbers match the player slot the character is in (P1 = Red, P2 = Blue, P3 = Yellow, P4 = Green)

Loot Rannie picks up still counts.

Ohh, okay, that makes more sense. The green numbers stick out a whole lot more than the other colors. I didn't even notice them.

Finally beat the game on Hard last night, Sorceress is currently at level 62. Time for more grinding again before being at an adequate level to go talisman hunting lol

Also I think I've cleared all the sidequests, unless Infernal adds more I don't know of. The gallery seems to only have 6 more artwork pieces, 1 for the 5 remaining classes I haven't used yet and the final piece of art.

Giolon

You sure? I observed him a bit and it seems like whatever he picks up in terms of coins or loot doesn't get added to your score at the top...

Yep. Coins don't get added to score unless you take the Common skill for it (Money is Power). When Rannie picks up score items, the score does increase. Watch the score counter closely (Ancient Temple ruins first encounter is a good place to test, particularly if you go in solo w/o companions).

Edit: A bunch of Dragon's Crown merchandise is coming out in November (e.g. cell phone straps, posters, cleaning cloths, t-shirts). As expected, it mostly focuses on the Amazon, Sorceress, and Elf, but there are a few things for Wizard, Dwarf, and Fighter fans too! AmiAmi is a good place to order from if you're not familiar with ordering goods from Japan.

I really dig the cleaning cloth and cell phone strap that feature all the characters. Then there's that Amazon wall scroll that I'd love to have but sure don't know what I'd do with b/c I wouldn't hang it on my wall!

TheBear

Can someone explain the loot system for me? I don't get it, should I be appraising stuff or just selling? How do I know what's worth appraising etc.?
Also is online coop unlocked later in the game? Just finished the second mission.

Giolon

Can someone explain the loot system for me? I don't get it, should I be appraising stuff or just selling? How do I know what's worth appraising etc.?
Also is online coop unlocked later in the game? Just finished the second mission.

It's all a guessing game. You take the limited info they give you when your loot is unidentified and try to make smart choices about whether to ID it or not. The vast majority of the time items will be worth less post-ID than pre-ID so you're better off selling off things that you think are going to be crap.

Loot is ranked in quality from S to E (S is the best). Each piece of loot can have 0-8 properties on it. When it's unidentified, you have a ? for each character. For example if you see an unidentified axe has ?-??? damage, you know it's probably shitty because it's going from single digit to triple digit damage range (i.e. 9-246) which means it's only 127.5 average damage.

I usually go through my loot in passes. First I look for S ranks w/ 4+ properties and ID those since they have the highest chance of being good. Then I go through A ranks, B ranks, C ranks. D and E rank I'll sell off immediately, unidentified unless I see they have 4+ properties on them or I'm really hurting for that type of gear. Then I'll go back and start looking at S ranks w/ only 2-3 properties on them. Does the damage range look like it'll be good (i.e. ??? - ??? not ?-???)? How about the durability (3 digit durability is basically unusable for an Amazon, but say a Wizard can get away with it)?

You want to get stats that are good for your class. Int for casters, Str/Dex for melee (Dex I haven't been able to figure out if it affects all damage when you're wielding a weapon or only damage from temporary weapons like crossbows), Con for Fighter/Dwarf, etc. Chance to Ignore Armor, Immunity to Petrify, etc.

Keep in mind that you can have multiple characters on a single save slot (I've heard 16 but I've also heard 20), so you may not want to automatically throw out that S rank bow your Wizard found b/c you will be able to make an Elf that can use it.

For Multiplayer, it's unlocked once you complete enough chapters
Each of the 9 levels once
. You'll end up anywhere from Level 12-18 depending on how many side quests you do. At that point, B paths for all the levels open up.

Einbroch

Banned
This is now getting old. I'm not strong enough to kill some of the bosses, so I have to grind...

Back to Gamefly, I guess. Was fun while it lasted, but I'm not grinding to beat a game, especially when chaining six levels only gave me a level and a half.

This is now getting old. I'm not strong enough to kill some of the bosses, so I have to grind...

Back to Gamefly, I guess. Was fun while it lasted, but I'm not grinding to beat a game, especially when chaining six levels only gave me a level and a half.
You never have to grind to beat anything. I really wish people would just consider the idea that they are not as good at the game as they think they are. I did most of my B rank dungeons at level 12, chaining 7 of them together. The only thing that stopped me from getting all 9 was my own lack of skill.

Also, I got 8 levels from those 7 chained stages. If you only got 2 levels from 6 stages chained in normal, you are probably overleveled, which means you really need to step up your game.

Giolon

Doing quests really gives a lot of XP at lower levels, not to mention those all important extra skill points. You can beat stuff 5-6 levels under level pretty easily though... how underleveled can you really be?

Though if you don't like repetition, this game won't be for you. It's a loot grind game.

I Need two Level 96+ players on Dragon's Crown to fight the Ancient Dragon on Infernal Mode. Me and my buddy are both Level 99, but need 2 more co-op partners to have a chance at beating him under the time limit. Anyone willing to help?

Giolon

I Need two Level 96+ players on Dragon's Crown to fight the Ancient Dragon on Infernal Mode. Me and my buddy are both Level 99, but need 2 more co-op partners to have a chance at beating him under the time limit. Anyone willing to help?

Why do you need them to be 96+? My Buddy and I (Wizard + Amazon) two-manned the Infernal dragon w/ 2 NPCs at Level 85 and got the achievement first try. Didn't even use damage potions.

You know you can use damage potions right?

I'm willing to help, but of course I'm at work right now. Are you on PS3 or Vita?

Quixzlizx

Yeah, I soloed the Infernal Ancient Dragon when I was somewhere in the low-mid 90s and got the trophy on my first try. Do you two have dedicated anti-dragon bags of equipment? That probably helps a lot.

Why do you need them to be 96+? My Buddy and I (Wizard + Amazon) two-manned the Infernal dragon w/ 2 NPCs at Level 85 and got the achievement first try. Didn't even use damage potions.

You know you can use damage potions right?

I'm willing to help, but of course I'm at work right now. Are you on PS3 or Vita?

Yeah, I'm level 99, have a bunch of Anti-Draconic Gear and Damage Potions, but can't beat it under the time limit for the trophy.

Also, have both the PS3 and Vita version.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, are there no new side-quests in Infernal mode? I recently unlocked it with my Amazon and Samuel isn't giving out anything even after I've cleared all the outstanding side-quests.

Also, I can't access floors 7-9 of the LoC, I assume I have to beat Infernal for that to unlock?

Infernal is kicking my ass so bad. I was mostly stomping everything in Hard mode by the time I was level 55-60 or so, but now I'm like level 73 and struggling like a little bitch. ;_; I tried to beat the Kraken on Infernal at level 71 (recommended level was 86) since he's normally so easy, but the fishmen warriors that attack me from behind would kill me in like 3 hits and I ended up paying an obscene amount of gold in Continues to beat him and didn't even get the Talisman. lol
Maybe I should summon AIs or let other players join but I'm stubbornly trying to solo with her. Guess I'll have to grind. I thought I was halfway good at the game, but Infernal is proving otherwise.

Giolon

Uh, are there no new side-quests in Infernal mode? I recently unlocked it with my Amazon and Samuel isn't giving out anything even after I've cleared all the outstanding side-quests.

Also, I can't access floors 7-9 of the LoC, I assume I have to beat Infernal for that to unlock?

Infernal is kicking my ass so bad. I was mostly stomping everything in Hard mode by the time I was level 55-60 or so, but now I'm like level 73 and struggling like a little bitch. ;_; I tried to beat the Kraken on Infernal at level 71 (recommended level was 86) since he's normally so easy, but the fishmen warriors that attack me from behind would kill me in like 3 hits and I ended up paying an obscene amount of gold in Continues to beat him and didn't even get the Talisman. lol
Maybe I should summon AIs or let other players join but I'm stubbornly trying to solo with her. Guess I'll have to grind. I thought I was halfway good at the game, but Infernal is proving otherwise.

Correct on all counts. There are 50 quests total in the game, the last of which are unlocked in Hard mode.

As I said, my friend and I managed to beat everything together at up to level 85 without too much trouble, but I generally recommend going through the levels in order on the A-paths to get your level up to par for the B paths. You can't really jump right in to the B-paths very easily on Infernal. Stick to stuff that is ~5 levels higher than you, max.

Also, don't knock the AI companions completely. They can be helpful at continuing to do damage while you yourself might be getting knocked around, but yes they can also be absolutely 100% worthless. Multiplayer is almost always the easiest path though.

Though if you stick it out all solo, I admire your hardcore-itudity.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Correct on all counts. There are 50 quests total in the game, the last of which are unlocked in Hard mode.
I see. I guess I've done 'em all, then. I was expecting to see more of the "kill boss X under 2 minutes", but it appears they're only for a few of the bosses.

Oh man speaking of killing bosses easily... during LoC, not sure which floor (I -think- it was floor 5) I had the
Killer Rabbit
, which usually gives me some trouble with my solo Amazon. But as chance has it, I had just activated the True Fist rune before entering that boss fight. So I chug War Paint and start wailing on it but its attack knocks me back and I lose my axe. Then I start kicking at it a few times with War Paint and True Fist still on (and I'm Berserk of course) and its HP bar melted away so fast, I think I cackled laughed out loud for a minute straight. That's up there with killing the Kraken in about 7 seconds in terms of sheer pwnage, I think. And all that was on Infernal mode, though I don't know how the difficulty is scaled on LoC floors. Still, man, it felt good to just slaughter a boss faster than I do some regular enemies, lol.

As I said, my friend and I managed to beat everything together at up to level 85 without too much trouble, but I generally recommend going through the levels in order on the A-paths to get your level up to par for the B paths. You can't really jump right in to the B-paths very easily on Infernal. Stick to stuff that is ~5 levels higher than you, max.
Yeah, that makes sense. I chained a few dungeons in the A path to level up from 71 to 77, and I was generally doing OK, though some areas had me die like a bitch anyway. I severely underestimated the level gap. I mean Kraken's easy but not on Infernal and with 15+ levels above you and fully solo, hah.

Also, don't knock the AI companions completely. They can be helpful at continuing to do damage while you yourself might be getting knocked around, but yes they can also be absolutely 100% worthless. Multiplayer is almost always the easiest path though.

Though if you stick it out all solo, I admire your hardcore-itudity.
Ah yeah I'm using her solo 'cause I want to have a solo run, 'cause... I dunno, stubbornness I guess. I think it's generally more fun than with AI too, but there are so many enemies at times on Infernal that it gets chaotic, I guess the game isn't really meant to be solo'ed at this point.
I beat the last boss on Normal with two AI companions (after dying once with just 1 companion, I went back with another more) and the difference of difficulty was staggering. I mean with just one more companion we stomped the hell out of that boss, and I felt... cheap, I guess? So I decided that I'd solo everything with the Amazon from then now. I struggled a bit against the last boss on Hard, took me a few tries but I eventually took him down and it felt more rewarding, so I'm trying to stick with soloing. But man when you have like 12 skeletons, 4 of which are those black knight ones, all at once, and no possibility of a Dead Be Gone rune, it's just a bit overwhelming. ^^ We'll see, I might go "fuck it" and get some friends, or go online.

I'm wondering... Any news about that patch? I'd love to start resuming my couch coop playthrough our elf/warrior combo, but I'd rather wait until the P2 progress thing is fixed. :|

Giolon

I'm wondering... Any news about that patch? I'd love to start resuming my couch coop playthrough our elf/warrior combo, but I'd rather wait until the P2 progress thing is fixed. :|

No word on the patch, but we do know two things: 1) Atlus was forbidden from giving us any updates on bringing the patch to NA the first time around, and 2) It's been just short of two weeks since the second patch was released in Japan and it took about two and a half weeks for us to get the first patch.

I'm hoping we get it in the next couple days. I've been holding off going to LoC 7+ and starting my Wizard until the gameplay/balance changes come through.

Giolon

1.02 is indeed out. Here's the update text:

• Improved functional stability for certain parts of the game.
  • You can now join random online games in the Labyrinth of Chaos from the Network menu.
  • Wizard; Charging MP when the MP is already at maximum will cause magic power to increase.
  • Various skills of all character classes have been adjusted.
  • Other minor tuning and gameplay adjustments were made.

Apparently sent in an e-mail to some people by Atlus:

[Bug Fixes]

Improved gameplay stability

[New Features]

Added an option to join random online games in the Labyrinth of Chaos to the Network Menu.
To enhance player character visibility, a triangular cursor has been added to the bottom of the screen.
Wizard: Charging MP when the MP is already at maximum will cause magic power to increase.

[Feature Modifications]

(PS3 version only) When playing offline multiplayer games, the story progression will now be saved for all characters.
If a network communication error occurs in online play, the game will now continue in the same stage rather than kicking the player back to town.
Amazon: A successful Parry raises Berserk level by 1.
Amazon: The Necksplitter attack can now be cancelled.
Various Skill effects of all character classes have been adjusted.
Other tuning and minor improvements to various gameplay elements were made.

Top Bottom