• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Caerith

Updated OP with the new difficulty.

Little things I found:

- Create food now creates weapons (daggers, torches and the like) and bones to ress. Seemed guaranteed instead of random, but I used only 3 times. I have it maxed;
- The camera seems different, but can't really tell what;
- All enemies are lvl 255 on Ultimate, but didn't seem any tougher.
- Wyvern had a new attack - multiple explosions after his airbone fire spit hits the ground.
Have Sorceress skeletons gotten any tougher? I consider Animate to be the weakest skill in her arsenal, but Food + Animate would be tempting if the skeletons were buffed.

What about skill points, you gain any more?
Apparently not, which is kinda disappointing. I mean, I understand the rationale (you'd cap out all your skills long before hitting the new cap), but it'd be nice if they added, like, "Ultimate Skills" that could be unlocked with "Ultimate Skill Points" so you've got something to work towards other than just grinding levels.

maouvin

So all loot is capped at 99? That's a bit disappointing. What about skill points, you gain any more?

Loot capped at 99, sadly, but the items from the new dungeon have new special properties.
And no more skill pts too.

Have Sorceress skeletons gotten any tougher? I consider Animate to be the weakest skill in her arsenal, but Food + Animate would be tempting if the skeletons were buffed.

Can't say about the damage, nor beefyness (the harpy with her buffed claw attack always destroyed all of my skellies), BUT! when the sorc heals herself - via food or extending - the skellies go back to full health! My party members stopped racing me to the bones when they noticed it and let them for me to ress, haha.
I'll spend a point on the coin healing skill to see how it works. If my skeletons get full everytime I pick a coin, shit will get real. But even if not, I'm glad I didn't respec them out.

Also, there's tons of bones now. Hard to go thru a room without bones. Just made a run from floor 2 to 10 and I frequently had at least 3 skeletons.

Bones and items are not guaranteed, but I have slvl 3 (I thought I had it maxed - edited my previous post). Maybe at slvl max they always come by.

edit: PS Blog post: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/20/dragons-crown-new-difficulty-and-dungeon-available-now/

So what’s it do? Well, it makes things harder, for one. But harder monsters mean players need to be better, stronger, and faster, so we’re raising the level cap from 99 to 255. You read that right, you now have 156 levels to grind out.

“But that’s a lot of grinding the same levels over and over again,” you’ll say. Well, we have you covered there, too! Once you’re on Ultimate difficulty, there will be a new dungeon unlocked, called the Tower of Mirages. It’s randomly generated and it has tens of thousands of levels. TENS. OF. THOUSANDS. I say this with all sincerity, since I know some of you are going to try to KO it: “Good luck.”

This "tens of thousands" thing... needs clarification.

Still recovering from the one-two punch from this and FTL's new race announcement in the span of five minutes (for me). It's funny how content for the games I love most, usually ends up being free. :D

Giolon

Melee characters can throw their weapons now w/ direction + O. It counts as a Power Smash when it hits the ground too.

Bombless

Melee characters can throw their weapons now w/ direction + O. It counts as a Power Smash when it hits the ground too.

:O

Gotta try this when I get home tomorrow!

Edit : GameInformer said that this was the final patch. Still, godly support from Vanillaware/Atlus. Game of the year for me, no contest.

maomaoIYP

Being able to throw weapons is awesome.
I don't really understand what they mean by the new dungeon, gonna load up my post-LoC floor 99 to take a look.

maomaoIYP

From what I can tell, it's just LoC by a new name. I played 2 floors of it.

Ok, if you've cleared LoC's 99th floor the new infinite dungeon starts with enemies at lvl 255. Nothing too difficult if you already have a setup to clear LoC's 99th floor though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was wondering about something... I'm gonna give this game to my brother as a Christmas present. Problem is, his PS3 is 100% offline as far as I know. Is there any way to download patches like on a USB stick or something and install them from there? It'd be a shame if he was stuck with the unpatched game, especially if he decides to play couch coop (which had that lame lack of story progress for Player 2 in the beginning).

maomaoIYP

Ok, if I'm not wrong, all enemies have gained attacks, some have gained super speed as well. Doom beetle boss is now freaking annoying. SO FREAKING AMAZING.

edit: Tower of Miracles' reward items do not cycle, i.e. floor 10's reward is different from floor 1's. Also, Demon King's new attack is BALLS.
edit2: Something tells me there are 99 different special equipment to collect....

Ogawa-san

They messed with elf arrow spawns, didn't they?

I had to kill a chimera by spamming elemental lore after I used the arrows I had on me. The boss wouldn't drop more than one or two every now and then, and I'm pretty sure before the patch it'd drop like a bunch of them all the time through the fight, almost at the same rate as I spent them.

Might go back on my plans to switch from my sorceress... Charging MP all the time is less annoying than hurting for arrows like that :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did they ever patch the game so that you can randomly join tower matches without having to find someone on the exact same level you were starting?

Holy crap! I had to go try it after reading this, it's so cool! It can be thrown up or forward, and also generates a miniature version of the shockwave where it lands, including the dwarf's lightning (for a fraction of the damage). It's so quick that it'll be awesome for those The True Fist moments.

I was wondering about something... I'm gonna give this game to my brother as a Christmas present. Problem is, his PS3 is 100% offline as far as I know. Is there any way to download patches like on a USB stick or something and install them from there? It'd be a shame if he was stuck with the unpatched game, especially if he decides to play couch coop (which had that lame lack of story progress for Player 2 in the beginning).

I don't think that's possible, actually. Can't you simply pick up the PS3 one day and hook it up on your home or a neighbor that has Wifi?

maouvin

Wealth to Health isn't so hot healing my skeletons, but it helps. An amazon ammy shall help more, once I get one.

Ok, if you've cleared LoC's 99th floor the new infinite dungeon starts with enemies at lvl 255. Nothing too difficult if you already have a setup to clear LoC's 99th floor though.

No need to go till the 99th, just the 9th (to unlock Ultimate). Enemies in Ultimate are always lvl 255, but on the new dungeon they're easier than on the normal stages.

The ideia is to farm equips and lvls on the new dungeon and then go to the 9 stages.

They messed with elf arrow spawns, didn't they?

Aye, the bosses won't drop arrows anymore, just their minions. But the chimera don't have minions, so yeah.
People on gfaqs beens saying that create food creates arrows too. Will check it when I get an elf on my party.

edit: it gives arrows at random. Guess I'll respec to max create food to see if it becomes guaranteed. I mostly play online, so no harm being a good supporter.

Did they ever patch the game so that you can randomly join tower matches without having to find someone on the exact same level you were starting?

You can search for rooms under floor 'x', and a list appears (just like the friends list).

maomaoIYP

No need to go till the 99th, just the 9th (to unlock Ultimate). Enemies in Ultimate are always lvl 255, but on the new dungeon they're easier than on the normal stages.
Is that true? The first 9 floors of the ToM is cakewalk, but the shit hits the fan immediately in floor 10. I haven't bothered with the regular stages yet.

Ogawa-san

I tried Bilbaron on Ultimate for funsies at lv100. My sorc got literally one-shotted by the first goblin I found at the gate.

Everything is lv255 and they mean it.

The tower is more like a place to level up and get easy gear, with enemies scaling as you go up. I'm at the 10th floor and they're lv101+.

maouvin

Is that true? The first 9 floors of the ToM is cakewalk, but the shit hits the fan immediately in floor 10. I haven't bothered with the regular stages yet.

From what I played, aye. I never went past floor 15 on the LoC (so I don't know how lvl 255 enemies on floor 99 would feel like), but the regular stages feels tougher than the ToM.

I tried Bilbaron on Ultimate for funsies at lv100. My sorc got literally one-shotted by the first goblin I found at the gate.

Everything is lv255 and they mean it.

The tower is more like a place to level up and get easy gear, with enemies scaling as you go up. I'm at the 10th floor and they're lv101

I know that feel. But when I tapped on a monster on floor 1 of ToM it showed lvl 255 (and died as easily as if on infernal). Weird.

And damn, now the Kraken summons those yellow lizards anytime. 4 lizards along the two tentacles is so not cool.

Ogawa-san

My mistake, I was on Infernal for whatever reason when I checked, everything on Ultimate is 255 indeed. But yeah, 255s inside ToM have (far) lower stats, must be scaling with floor level or something.

maomaoIYP

As much as I like this game I can't imagine finishing floor 99 on ultimate even though it's just technically as long as clearing up to floor 33 on infernal.

Giolon

Oh fuck. Eating food as a Sorceress heals your Skeletons now. (I assume other forms of healing work too, but I didn't have any to try).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think that's possible, actually. Can't you simply pick up the PS3 one day and hook it up on your home or a neighbor that has Wifi?
Yeah, we could probably temporarily hook it up via a spare Ethernet cable if we find one so he can at least download the patch, it'd be a shame otherwise. Or I could get them a wireless router and bring them into the 21st century... :p

maomaoIYP

holy crap is the demon king tough. spent close to 2.5 million gold and still couldnt kill him. alol

How to beat him spoiler:
He has three phases. First phase his attacks are: Head swing, petrification, storm, water blast, ice prison. The head swing is coming when his eyes get especially bright. Evade into the foreground to escape that. The rest are all marked by magic glyphs on the stage. The water blast can be evaded by jumping past the glyphs into the direction it is coming from.
The 2nd phase he summons minions and his new attacks are gravity, mouth blast (fire, lightning or poison clouds), meteor implosion and a black glyph that will heal him for 2500 each time it hits you. Here I like to fight his minions to take the heat off, but I fight them in front of his face so that he takes damage as well.
The 3rd phase he gains one new attack, ice eye beams. They come either as horizontal blasts or circular blasts. They tend to be circular nearer when you're nearer to his face. Just use evasion to dodge.

If you're playing on ultimate beside a lot of his attacks having increased speed and different properties, he has a new phase just before the old 3rd phase. He gains invincibility, does not attack, but pops 2 archdemons onto the stage.

isual

How to beat him spoiler:
He has three phases. First phase his attacks are: Head swing, petrification, storm, water blast, ice prison. The head swing is coming when his eyes get especially bright. Evade into the foreground to escape that. The rest are all marked by magic glyphs on the stage. The water blast can be evaded by jumping past the glyphs into the direction it is coming from.
The 2nd phase he summons minions and his new attacks are gravity, mouth blast (fire, lightning or poison clouds), meteor implosion and a black glyph that will heal him for 2500 each time it hits you. Here I like to fight his minions to take the heat off, but I fight them in front of his face so that he takes damage as well.
The 3rd phase he gains one new attack, ice eye beams. They come either as horizontal blasts or circular blasts. They tend to be circular nearer when you're nearer to his face. Just use evasion to dodge.

If you're playing on ultimate beside a lot of his attacks having increased speed and different properties, he has a new phase just before the old 3rd phase. He gains invincibility, does not attack, but pops 2 archdemons onto the stage.

alol. had to beat him to get the ultimate difficulty unlocked. wasn't too. bad.
then I made it all the way to the 10th floor on ultimate, beat him on my first try.

Giolon

Man, I feel like this patch has breathed a whole new life into this game. The balance changes have made a great game stellar. I parked my Amazon for a little bit and took my Sorceress into the LoC on Infernal at Level 59, and was pleased to find plenty of bone piles about for Skeletons. Keeping them alive became a new strategy for boss fights, casting protection, create food, and then hiding in a corner to eat as much as necessary to keep Skellies alive to supplement my DPS. I went through Floors 4-6 and came out Level 68, lol! I'm also encountering a lot more players than I have in the past few months when I've popped into the game.

BTW, the Amnesia Elixirs in Tower of Mirages on floors 3, 6, 9 are farmable according to GameFAQs.

Considering getting this on the vita, are the frame-rate issues mentioned in the OP very bad? Sorry for the question since I assume this has been discussed to death but the thread is pretty big. I also have a PS3 but I'd rather get this one on vita.

maouvin

Considering getting this on the vita, are the frame-rate issues mentioned in the OP very bad? Sorry for the question since I assume this has been discussed to death but the thread is pretty big. I also have a PS3 but I'd rather get this one on vita.

Very bad? Nay. It only really shows up when the screen is crowded with enemies and effects. I played with 3 sorceress yesterday, and slowdowns were often due to them blasting everything.
On a party with a sorc, an elf and a fighter things were smooth. Completely stable fps? I doubt it - but I didn't notice if any drop happened.

I'll admit that it might be something more like "you'll get used to it" than "you'll hardly notice", tho. But man, this game is awesome on a portable (and the touchscreen makes some things easier too).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, I feel for those who mained elf. No arrow drops from bosses? I played chimera in ad-hoc yesterday and it was a nightmare.

Strider

I wouldn't say they are very bad. But if you are rolling with a party of four with spells being cast and lots of enemies you are definitely gonna notice the frame drops.

Honestly it is an amazing portable game. get it.

Very bad? Nay. It only really shows up when the screen is crowded with enemies and effects. I played with 3 sorceress yesterday, and slowdowns were often due to them blasting everything.
On a party with a sorc, an elf and a fighter things were smooth. Completely stable fps? I doubt it - but I didn't notice if any drop happened.

I'll admit that it might be something more like "you'll get used to it" than "you'll hardly notice", tho. But man, this game is awesome on a portable (and the touchscreen makes some things easier too).

I wouldn't say they are very bad. But if you are rolling with a party of four with spells being cast and lots of enemies you are definitely gonna notice the frame drops.

Honestly it is an amazing portable game. get it.

Thank you very much guys.
Between this and Muramasa which should I get first?

SkylineRKR

I finally got this on Vita and its SO GOOD. I played the PS3 version for 50 hours but I prefer it on Vita. Looks better thanks to OLED, and the touch screen does make the game better than it already was on console.

maomaoIYP

From what I played, aye. I never went past floor 15 on the LoC (so I don't know how lvl 255 enemies on floor 99 would feel like), but the regular stages feels tougher than the ToM.

Just tried out a regular stage. I couldn't get past the 1st group of enemies I came across. The difficulty in ToM is way lower.

Ogawa-san

I have the Vita version. I thought it was okay until I started watching PS3 videos.

Neither captures are perfect but they give a good idea of the difference you should expect: Kraken on PS3 vs. Vita.

It's a great portable game since you can clear a dungeon or two in 10min, but if you don't care about that I'd definitely grab it for PS3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, I feel for those who mained elf. No arrow drops from bosses? I played chimera in ad-hoc yesterday and it was a nightmare.
Someone said the arrows drop when you kick, no? I usually do that to drop arrows instead of using Elemental Lore so hopefully it won't affect me too much. Because yes, running out of arrows during boss fights is the one drawback of playing the elf. :(

ShinMaruku

They drop when you kick the boss but sometimes they drop in some unfortunate places. They should have given the arrow back mechanic more thought.

Dave1988

Wow, the new patch breath new life into an already very replayable game. Based Vanillaware.

Time to add some Gaffers for some jolly co-op. My PSN ID is Dave1988 if anyone wants to add me. Please mention that you're from GAF in the message. Kthxbye :)

Laws00

Anybody know how to unlock Ultimate mode or the next difficulty level after Inferno. I beat inferno, all the Goddess are back

I heard all I have to do is go to Cannan Temple and pray but the option to change the difficulty level isnt there. Am I missing something?

edit nvm

After you clear the ninth layer of the Labyrinth of Chaos, you can access the new difficulty in the Temple.

Should I be playing solo with ai companions or by myself?

That's a decision you have to make for yourself, but I found the game infinitely more fun by myself or with friends. I'm currently on Infernal with the Elf and Hard with all the others, and haven't had any problems.

Giolon

Should I be playing solo with ai companions or by myself?

AI can make bosses and certain large encounters easier, but they can also be incredibly stupid and make it far more difficult to keep track of where your character is among the chaos.

Playing purely solo makes you really learn the capabilities of your class, and IMO, makes the game feel a lot more tactical.

Both ways are fun :)

Top Bottom