• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Bombless

Quests can only be done once per character regardless from difficulty.

Online mode opens once you finish the first 8 stages. And yes, Normal is pretty easy.

Dyno

Hit Level 89 as a Fighter and the going is getting slow. I did a grand tour of all the dungeons in one go, got some trophy, but only went up a couple levels.

The one quest I cannot complete is beat the Wraith in under two minutes. It just ain't happening and I've got a bag full of undead goodies and a scroll with Meteor Swarm.

Endo Punk

Beat Normal with Dwarf, Fighter and Wizard. I'm going to finish all quests with my fav Elf before I beat the game and start hard since she is my main character. Amazon and Sorceress will have to wait till winter, I will definitely get to them too ;)

I just want to know what changes for hard? Do bosses get new attacks and such, anything else?

Also there's a Versus style arena!?

Hit Level 89 as a Fighter and the going is getting slow. I did a grand tour of all the dungeons in one go, got some trophy, but only went up a couple levels.

The one quest I cannot complete is beat the Wraith in under two minutes. It just ain't happening and I've got a bag full of undead goodies and a scroll with Meteor Swarm.
That one is tough. The last quest I finished.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess I kind of cheated by completing all the Hard unlocked quests on Normal.

Downside is, it quickly pushed my levels up by 15 without any decent gear to back it up.

Dyno

That one is tough. The last quest I finished.

Got it last night with two other players. Two fighters and an Amazon turned that Wraith into a smoothie within two minutes! YEAH!

I got into the Lab. of Chaos last night and did most of the levels. The levels are great because everything is so random but the special loot is quite forgettable. So what's the deal with those dungeons. Once they are done they're done, right?

Giolon

Got it last night with two other players. Two fighters and an Amazon turned that Wraith into a smoothie within two minutes! YEAH!

I got into the Lab. of Chaos last night and did most of the levels. The levels are great because everything is so random but the special loot is quite forgettable. So what's the deal with those dungeons. Once they are done they're done, right?

Assuming you mean most of the 9 levels listed?
There are actually 99!

Each of the floors rewards 1 piece of loot that is generally specific to your class, though there is 1 amulet I think is generic in the first 3 floors. When you clear
Floors 10-17
, they will give you Level 99 versions of the previous loot. Also, only the yellow property is special and fixed. All other properties on those items are random, so it behooves you to run that given floor repeatedly until you get a good distribution for your class.

Quick question: Do I have to finsih all open sidequests on normal or are they still available on hard difficulty? I'm currently level 30 (level cap is 35 on normal?).

maouvin

Quick question: Do I have to finsih all open sidequests on normal or are they still available on hard difficulty? I'm currently level 30 (level cap is 35 on normal?).

You can make your quests on any difficulty. And aye, 35 is the cap for normal - you still get xp, but will only level up on hard.

Dyno

Assuming you mean most of the 9 levels listed?
There are actually 99!

Each of the floors rewards 1 piece of loot that is generally specific to your class, though there is 1 amulet I think is generic in the first 3 floors. When you clear
Floors 10-17
, they will give you Level 99 versions of the previous loot. Also, only the yellow property is special and fixed. All other properties on those items are random, so it behooves you to run that given floor repeatedly until you get a good distribution for your class.

Ahh! Thank you for this explanation!

Beat the Inferno Ancient Dragon last night. That was actually a really good final boss. He is so tough and he heals himself around four times but my food processing fighter finally brought him down. The third statue ending is really quite nice and satisfying. This game really makes you feel like a hero! Fantastic narration.

I thought I would pretty well end my run as a happy and fulfilled 92nd level fighter but if there are 99 levels of Chaos dungeon then I'll probably get sucked in a while longer. LOL!

I've got a somewhat trivial question for owners of the EU boxed version. Is the title on the spine written in the same style as on the front of the box, or did they use that generic font that most first party titles use in the EU? I prefer the former, so the latter could push me to import the US version instead of getting the UK version.

Dave1988

I've got a somewhat trivial question for owners of the EU boxed version. Is the title on the spine written in the same style as on the front of the box, or did they use that generic font that most first party titles use in the EU? I prefer the former, so the latter could push me to import the US version instead of getting the UK version.

They used the generic font.

Ah, that's a shame. I still have some account credit at zavvi that i planned to use for this. I might import the US version then. Thanks for the info!

Um, but the US version (PS3 at least) also uses semi-generic lettering for the spine. They're gold/white letters with serif, but definitely nothing like the crazy stylized cover title.

Labadal

Bought the US version but I have Euro account. Will I be able to play with Euro folk?

I'd check myself, but the game will arrive late next week.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hmmm, but what about the region settings?

If he's using 'only same region', is he getting paired with NA copies or local players? A lot of people seem to keep the default 'same region' setting, so it'd suck if he'd often get paired with players across the ocean.

Dave1988

Welp, Amazon @ lvl 99. Time to knock out the rest of the character trophies and the "Legendary Strike" one. Then I'll move on to leveling Elf or Wiz to 99. Dunno yet.

Giolon

If you have "Same Region" selected, you will only be paired with people who are playing the same region version as your copy AND who also have "Same Region" selected. If you have "All Regions" selected, you will be paired with anybody anywhere on any version who also have "All Regions" selected, but you will NOT be paired with anybody has "Same Region" selected regardless of what release region they have.

So:
Same Region = Person in Same Region + Person has "Same Region" selected only
All Regions = Person in Any Region + Person has "All Regions" selected only

If you have "Same Region" selected, you will only be paired with people who are playing the same region version as your copy AND who also have "Same Region" selected. If you have "All Regions" selected, you will be paired with anybody anywhere on any version who also have "All Regions" selected, but you will NOT be paired with anybody has "Same Region" selected regardless of what release region they have.

So:
Same Region = Person in Same Region + Person has "Same Region" selected only
All Regions = Person in Any Region + Person has "All Regions" selected only

Hmmm, interesting. This makes sense so that two people playing won't override each other's setting in regards to who can further join their game.

Dave1988

Anybody here doing LoC runs? I'm currently on floor 19 with both my Sorc & Amazon and would like to get a party going before trying the higher floors.

My PSN ID is the same as my GAF ID.

Um, but the US version (PS3 at least) also uses semi-generic lettering for the spine. They're gold/white letters with serif, but definitely nothing like the crazy stylized cover title.

Yeah, i've noticed that after having a look at an youtube unboxing. I still prefer it to the EU spine though, which in addition to the generic font is kept in plain white. It's a weird hangup to have i guess, but i just find those uniformly styled white spines with generic font visually unappealing/boring and try to avoid them. It has been a pet peeve of mine since the PS2 era, when all of the EU boxes had the same spine (afaik the US boxes did have individually styled spines even back then). I like it when the cover art extends to the spine, giving each box on my shelf a unique look. Unfortunately, even though white spines have become less common in recent years, many first party and some third party titles still use that same font.

It's funny though that EU covers often have art on the inside of the box, whereas the US equivalents don't and i would gladly sacrifice that to have the spines look the same as in the US, since i will see them more often than the inside of the box.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic.

I've ordered the US version form play-asia now and will hopefully be joining you guys soon.

JimPanzer

holy shit...elf solo is hard. I'm lvl 25 and getting owned by lvl 17 imps. probably got a bit lazy trying to avoid etc. by leveling my fighter to 95ish :(

any general tips for elf solo play? which skills to take? etc?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
holy shit...elf solo is hard. I'm lvl 25 and getting owned by lvl 17 imps. probably got a bit lazy trying to avoid etc. by leveling my fighter to 95ish :(

any general tips for elf solo play? which skills to take? etc?

Disclaimer: I used the elf in 2-player couch coop, not solo, but I think my advice's still good:

Get bow skills (notably Clone strikes, Impact Arrow, Power Shot), level up Evasion whenever you can (Elf can't block so being mobile helps and you can evade cancel charged shots several times), avoid melee/kick skills for the most part. Use crouched shots and jumping charge shots + evade cancel. Mobs drop plenty of arrows so you really rarely run out so don't hesitate to use your bow a lot. Use salamander oil to melt away boss HP bars.

I've finished the game solo with the Elf; what Morrigan said is pretty much the way to go. Move a lot, dodge like mad, and line up charged shots. I'm particularly fond of the charged air-to-ground shot, which can be done repeatedly by alternating it with air attacks (quickly interrupted into it or you'll fall down quick), double jumps and dodges. Ex. jump, charged shot, attack, charged shot, dodge, charged shot, attack, charged shot... You can stay airborne (which usually means out of trouble) for a lot of time while dealing heaps of damage.

Imps are kind of a pain with the elf indeed, as lining up shots isn't the easiest of tasks. The most important thing is to watch their shadows to see what plane are they in, and align yourself accordingly. Then you can either air shot horizontally (quite hard, requires you to be at the same height AND depth as them, but useful against groups of them clumped together), ground-to-air (relatively easy to hit them with if you're below them), or double jump and air-to-ground shot them (also relatively easy, although the ground shockwave typically will miss them). Once they're downed a charged air-to-ground shot usually kills them.

Dyno

After beating the Ancient Dragon on Infernal and going through the LoC, did you change your backpacks again? It's not like you can target a boss anymore, it's a mixed bag. Don't know if I should stick with creature specific bags and only three generalist bags.

After beating the Ancient Dragon on Infernal and going through the LoC, did you change your backpacks again? It's not like you can target a boss anymore, it's a mixed bag. Don't know if I should stick with creature specific bags and only three generalist bags.
8 general, one for killing dragons.

Billy Lee

Is the art book any good? *********** are still selling the game with the art book included. I asked them how long they expect stock to last and they recommended I order within the next week if I want the art book. I was going to wait until around Christmas in case the game becomes cheaper but maybe I should get it now.

I'm not too bothered about the book (unless it is really good) but it would be nice to have.

Giolon

Is the art book any good? *********** are still selling the game with the art book included. I asked them how long they expect stock to last and they recommended I order within the next week if I want the art book. I was going to wait until around Christmas in case the game becomes cheaper but maybe I should get it now.

I'm not too bothered about the book (unless it is really good) but it would be nice to have.

The art book is pretty good, especially considering it was free.

Giolon

Pretty good, but SO TINY. I'll gladly pay for a big hardcover version of it.

Again, as free art books go, it's actually quite large. Most are small enough that they can pack them in the same size as the game case. But I'd love for a full size, high quality glossy edition. There was an Odin Sphere art book back in the day that I'm sad I never got since I discovered the game years too late. I'm still surprised Muramasa has no art book.

Playing through as the Amazon, got to the Ancient Dragon, think I was level 33, but got my ass whooped. So played through the 9 stages in a row to level up, but afterwards I stopped levelling at 35.
This is because there's a cap on normal difficulty right?
I didn't recieve the exp from the quests I completed, is that lost?
How do I change the difficulty?

Top Bottom