• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Riposte

I didn't do a lot of digging, but here's some relevant bits and pieces of posts I've dragged out of the import impressions thread and edited for length:

Attempting to avoid both length yet also quote mining here.

Thanks.

I also found this video from YouTube user "EpicNameBro"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UdxgvM11o8

It seems like the game is too easy until you beat it two or three times? New Game++? He likes infernal and chaos difficulties, but they seem to take a very long time to access. I think I'm officially unsold. Shame.

EDIT: There are some things that sound pretty cool. I like the idea of class roles for example. The death penalty seems like a decent compromise to a very scary problem. But the initial difficulty plus the grave mistake of making players play hours and hours to access true difficulty is enough to kill the game for me.

I kind of wish this was a 3 hour game with higher difficulty, faster loot drops that disappears upon the game's end, and harsher death penalties.

Tizoc

US PSN Blog entry on the game confirmed the digital ver. releasing next week.
Sadly no cross buy or cross play.
Wish they mentioned the price though, hope it'll be at most $40 >>;

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
US PSN Blog entry on the game confirmed the digital ver. releasing next week.
Sadly no cross buy or cross play.
Wish they mentioned the price though, hope it'll be at most $40 >>;
Digital games don't get a discount, it'll be 40/50 for Vita/PS3.

im planning on taking my time with this game, enjoy the art, graphics, everything.

hopefully it doesn't force you to progress faster than you want to!

I feel a need to say something here, because this kind of thing gets under my skin.

I think it was meant that the character art is "stylized", which it very much is. Most of the characters have some part of their anatomy exaggerated, the Elf probably being the only exception. It's a bit silly, but it serves the art style well. Regardless, it's nothing to get offended over. And the attempts of forced political correctness in relation to it annoy the shit out of me to no end. If anyone is offended by the art style for some reason, that's fine. They're well within their rights. But their options are pretty much to either get over it, or just refuse to play the game. Those are the facts. No one is going to bend over backward to try and appease your sense of morality. Play it or don't. It's a game. Isn't there some greater evil to go campaign against?
You know, I swear this is pretty much my exact thoughts in the subject

we're not in some weird mind drift are we?
People are already figuring out the intricacies of the combat. Canceling is in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud75MG5NGgg
Well that didn't take long lol, one week in and we got cancels
Check out Guilty Gear Judgement sometime then (PSP or Vita) :D
Is Judgement any good? I'm not exactly too optimistic about some of the Guilty Gear non-standard fighting games since both Isuka and Overture look weird to me

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is the Elf the only one with an evade?

He also mentioned that there's a limit before enemies break out of a combo. That's a little disappoint to hear.

I want to see some combo videos!

All characters have evade. Wizard's is a teleport.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
News of canceling and such really makes me excited for the PvP mode. I want it to be my surprise addiction.

Yuterald

How weird is it that I'm most excited for the music in this game? Sakimoto and his Basiscape crew always pull off some good shit for these Vanillaware games. As much as I like Odin Sphere's OST, I vastly prefer Muramasa (although both respectively fit each game's atmosphere/vibes, etc.) Aside from the soundtrack, I'm curious what the story will be like too. I still think nothing will top Odin Sphere's Armageddon scenario, but we'll see.

JordanN

Banned
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a Vita tomorrow for Dragon's Crown (yay) and was just wondering, are memory cards necessary to play it?

Pretty much. No offense, but don't review something you have a morale conflict of interest with it (female reviews a game that exaggerates the female body and deducts points... this is like a WW2 casualty reviewing Call of Duty).

But I found its over-exaggerated art style alienating and gross in its depiction of women even as it shines in building a world of fantastic monsters and environments, and the forced grind through the same stages dulled my excitement.

http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-crown/9102

I'm sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I've seen on the internet today.

Caerith

Wait, "idealized"? In what way are these designs "idealized" and by whom? I find it hard to believe that the amazon would be an ideal woman to anyone, because if she existed in reality the only way she would look like that would be due to excessive tumor growth.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's an old saying, and there's some truth to it.

Others might prefer the Latin, de gustibus non est disputandum (there's no arguing in matters of taste.)

Either way, when you begin an argument post with "everyone else's opinions are invalid," it sets a terrible precedent for the rest of the conversation. Maybe that's your intention, but communities are generally built on discussion rather than flames.

Thanks.

It seems like the game is too easy until you beat it two or three times? New Game++? He likes infernal and chaos difficulties, but they seem to take a very long time to access. I think I'm officially unsold. Shame.

EDIT: There are some things that sound pretty cool. I like the idea of class roles for example. The death penalty seems like a decent compromise to a very scary problem. But the initial difficulty plus the grave mistake of making players play hours and hours to access true difficulty is enough to kill the game for me.

I kind of wish this was a 3 hour game with higher difficulty, faster loot drops that disappears upon the game's end, and harsher death penalties.

Ok I just finished watching the entire review. Probably the most informative one I've seen so far. He goes pretty deep into the pro's and cons of the game. Personally the cons aren't enough to stop me from buying this. There's plenty to love here.

The funniest part is what he said at the end about review scores.

Moofers

Is Judgement any good? I'm not exactly too optimistic about some of the Guilty Gear non-standard fighting games since both Isuka and Overture look weird to me

I like it. Not all the characters lend themselves to the brawler mode, but I think it works pretty well. Great soundtrack, fun environments, and if you can do it in the fighting game, you can do it in Judgement mode as well, which is pretty cool. Its like $5 on PSN, so go for it dude.

Ultimadrago

Ok I just finished watching the entire review. Probably the most informative one I've seen so far. He goes pretty deep into the pro's and cons of the game. Personally the cons aren't enough to stop me from buying this. There's plenty to love here.

The funniest part is what he said at the end about review scores.

I was pleasantly surprised with the review. He shared his thoughts about the repetitive nature of areas and combat (especially in relativity to difficulty increase) while briefly segmenting and explaining his experience up to the present. Ideally, the game will last a satisfactory length of time for me in terms of entertainment (something I can't say for all past Vanillaware games, unfortunately).

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a Vita tomorrow for Dragon's Crown (yay) and was just wondering, are memory cards necessary to play it?

Yes, sadly. Might be worth waiting until after Gamescom, rumours are pointing towards at least a memory card price drop and possibly a Vita price drop. But yes, get the biggest memory card you can afford, and also PS+ if you haven't already.

Deitus

Someone said something earlier in the thread about there being no voice chat in the PS3 version for online play. Has that been confirmed? Can anyone who has played the game comment on that?

Because that would make it very boring to play co-op but not be able to talk to my teammates. This isn't Dark/Demons Souls where such a restriction actually serves a purpose.

JordanN

Banned
Yes, sadly. Might be worth waiting until after Gamescom, rumours are pointing towards at least a memory card price drop and possibly a Vita price drop. But yes, get the biggest memory card you can afford, and also PS+ if you haven't already.
I actually found a cheap Vita ($99-119) so I'll be content with that. I also have a PS+ voucher I got from a Sony event so I'll use that (thanks for the reminder).

I'm just now going back and checking out the unlocked Treasure Arts.

One of them is done by the artist that designed Kumatanchi. lol

E65pjpz.gif

Caerith

"I guess" is right. May this thread remain largely unscathed.
I went in there to post that I had updated the OT with reviews, saw the same old sexism vs art argument, and decided not to bother.

Most of the reviews seemed not to factor the art direction in their scores, but it makes me wonder about the scores given by those who did. Most of the scores are 80s and 90s in Metacritic equivalency, but two of them are 60s. Is the art direction really worth 20-30 points? Please note this question is rhetorical.

Six more days.

I was considering playing this game with the new arcade stick I ordered but the whole right stick thing kind of puts a hamper on that. I do wish they had some kind of alternative method for for what the right stick does but in the end it's not a deal breaker.

I like it. Not all the characters lend themselves to the brawler mode, but I think it works pretty well. Great soundtrack, fun environments, and if you can do it in the fighting game, you can do it in Judgement mode as well, which is pretty cool. Its like $5 on PSN, so go for it dude.

If it's only $5 I'll probably go for it then, I know I've gotten worse for more money on PSN so it only being $5 makes it an easier plunge to take.

edit - can't seem to find it on PSN. Bummer

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Today I learned that in the world of Dragon's Crown, mermaids have human butts, and the fish part starts after that. Whodathunk?

Six more days.

I was considering playing this game with the new arcade stick I ordered but the whole right stick thing kind of puts a hamper on that. I do wish they had some kind of alternative method for for what the right stick does but in the end it's not a deal breaker.

The right stick ends up being a HUGE part of the game going forward, too. Runes, chests, doors, loot, reviving.

You seriously can't play the game without it.

Caerith

Thanks.

Bear in mind, ENB is on the map for his Dark Souls videos. When he says he finds the earlier difficulties easy, it doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Still, I like his outlook on the Chaos Labyrinth and the crazy team synergies you can bring to bear in the boss fights. Thanks for posting that.

Astarte

I'm pretty sure that the poking the npcs video sold my sister on the game...instant she saw the barbarian she stole my keys and drove to gamestop.

Espada

I'm pretty sure that the poking the npcs video sold my sister on the game...instant she saw the barbarian she stole my keys and drove to gamestop.

My favorite one is poking Rickey the Mouse. He does a little mouse handstand and squeaks differently.

I believe there's an Orc you can poke at too. If someone is interested in stuff like that...

Also, LOL @ DC review thread. MOAR publicity is good for game.

Top Bottom