• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

KLonso

Anyone know how many levels there are?

Also, add me up on PSN if you're going to be playing on vita, my PSN name is in my profile

Ultimadrago

Anyone know how many levels there are?

Also, add me up on PSN if you're going to be playing on vita, my PSN name is in my profile

9 main locations for the main story, both with an A and B path (that differ in enemies, but I'm not sure if they differ in backgrounds).
There's an additional area available as well for Chaos Mode, I think.

pariah164

How does one pick the color scheme of their chosen class? I notice the chameleon-esque changing of the avatars in the top post.

Caerith

Artbook, hmm. I love buying artbooks but I am almost always disappointed by the 'artbooks' you get from preorders. 64 pages makes it sounds like it could be ok.

Yes, sorry for vocabulary misuse, but I wasn't sure how to put the nature of the game in one word (I am assuming rogue-like really means persistent death? I don't even know) - but mostly meant it's the kind of game i could see myself playing slowly for a while.
Roguelike has a very strict, very specific definition, not least of which is that the game must be either Rogue or Nethack. Everything else is just a roguelike-like, or a roguelike-like-like, or a roguelike-like-light.

Dragon's Crown doesn't have permadeath, just elements of randomization.

I have never ever seen a review thread locked before.
I'd guess it was locked on account of being hijacked by... well, needless arguments.

Nine levels with two different paths for each, from what I've been hearing.
ENB's review says the A and B paths are different enough that you really have 9 settings and 18 stages (plus the final boss area).

SteveThom

Banned
Normally just lurk...but that review thread was lol.

Although it seems like the only people who got banned where the one's defending the game.

Not saying mod agenda...buuuuuu

/jk.

Glad it's over so now the actual game can be the star.

Caerith

How does one pick the color scheme of their chosen class? I notice the chameleon-esque changing of the avatars in the top post.
During character creation, it cycles through colors randomly and you have to hit the button at the right time and hope you don't get a whammy.

It's selectable during character creation. I just made those chameleon gifs to demonstrate the various palettes.

By the way, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response: when do you see the Selection Message and Resurrection Message? Is the latter on your bones, or is it when you're resurrected in town?

Someone earlier mentioned "Chaos" difficulty - are there four difficulties in the game?
They might have been referring to the Chaos Labyrinth, the randomized post-game final dungeon thing that's only fully unlocked after beating Infernal.

How many levels or environments does this have? If its 20+ hours and like Golden Axe, that's a really long game for a beat em up.

Most beat em ups are short and encourages replay for better scores. This game seems to be long and has great replay value but with RPG elements.

Are there are a lot of revisited areas like Muramasa?

Moofers

I'm almost positive I know who I'm playing as first...

tumblr_mmmffwNJFj1r8ououo1_1280.gif

Awesome. I hope this was passed along to the Atlus twitter :)

pariah164

Actually pondering trading a couple of 3DS games for this. (Kid Icarus and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Mario Kart 7.)

Never thought I'd say that about a PS Vita game.

Actually pondering trading a couple of 3DS games for this. (Kid Icarus and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Mario Kart 7.)

Never thought I'd say that about a PS Vita game.
It's your choice, but I say "don't," especially not those titles you've listed AND especially NOT to Gamestop, if that's where you're thinking about trading it to.

pariah164

It's your choice, but I say "don't," especially not those titles you've listed AND especially NOT to Gamestop, if that's where you're thinking about trading it to.
I reserved the game at GameStop, so yes, that was the plan. I just wanted to make the game a bit more affordable for me; I just bought a bird, so that cinched up my wallet a wee bit.

During character creation, it cycles through colors randomly and you have to hit the button at the right time and hope you don't get a whammy.

It's selectable during character creation. I just made those chameleon gifs to demonstrate the various palettes.

By the way, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response: when do you see the Selection Message and Resurrection Message? Is the latter on your bones, or is it when you're resurrected in town?

They might have been referring to the Chaos Labyrinth, the randomized post-game final dungeon thing that's only fully unlocked after beating Infernal.

Normal
Hard
Inferno
Chaos
Well which is it? Haha. A difficulty, or just an area?

I reserved the game at GameStop, so yes, that was the plan. I just wanted to make the game a bit more affordable for me; I just bought a bird, so that cinched up my wallet a wee bit.
I totally understand, I'm short this week as well. But if it was me, I'd trade something else if I had too. Kid Icarus and Zelda Ocarina are just to valuable to give up.

That's just me though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm liking the way your character evolves as you unlock more skills. I can already see different builds you could have for a Fighter, and I'm really happy with how some skills passively play off others. It's not a tree, of course, but it feels very Diablo-ish all the same.

I'm really interested to dip more into Dwarf, too, as his skills are very very different from the Fighter.

Ultimadrago

How many levels or environments does this have? If its 20+ hours and like Golden Axe, that's a really long game for a beat em up.

Most beat em ups are short and encourages replay for better scores. This game seems to be long and has great replay value but with RPG elements.

I initially heard 20+ hours, but actual reviews seem to fall in the 10-15 hour range for story completion depending on how much time is being spent with optional side quests (that take place in the main areas of the game). You will see the all areas at least twice for story reasons and continue on seeing them for side quests. You get to raise to higher levels and consequentially gain more loot by continuing on to future modes. That and the Chaos mode (which I'd guess/hope has a unique final boss) seem to be the initiative for replay.

If you are continuing through difficulty levels, yes (As they are essentially all accessed through New Game+ and continuing on with the game to get stronger and face newly beefed opponents).

Even in the story you go through all main areas twice (albeit different routes). Now, I've heard the actual environments aren't as repetitive as Muramasa's could be, but I haven't seen enough to comment on that.

ToyBroker

Banned
I'm liking the way your character evolves as you unlock more skills. I can already see different builds you could have for a Fighter, and I'm really happy with how some skills passively play off others. It's not a tree, of course, but it feels very Diablo-ish all the same.

I'm really interested to dip more into Dwarf, too, as his skills are very very different from the Fighter.

Dwarf crew, holla.

I'm gonna be rockin' him for sure. He's the only dual-wielder too. I'm highly surprised there isn't an assassin type character in this game. He'd be a perfect fit.

Qvoth

Normal
Hard
Inferno
Chaos

i think you meant the labyrinth of chaos, it's not a difficulty level, it's just a random generated dungeon you unlock after you clear normal the 1st time
clear normal = unlock 1st 3 levels of labyrinth of chaos
hard = next 3
inferno = next 3 and i guess all the way until level 99 if what someone posted in the japanese wiki is true

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dwarf crew, holla.

I'm gonna be rockin' him for sure. He's the only dual-wielder too. I'm highly surprised there isn't an assassin type character in this game. He'd be a perfect fit.

Dwarf's throws are, I'm thinking, an integral part of his repertoire, as he also gets a bomb bag.

The fighter's powers center around blocking, mitigating damage, and recovering from hits with more power. It's a damn cool class to play.

I initially heard 20+ hours, but actual reviews seem to fall in the 10-15 hour range for story completion depending on how much time is being spent with optional side quests (that take place in the main areas of the game). You will see the all areas at least twice for story reasons and continue on seeing them for side quests. You get to raise to higher levels and consequentially gain more loot by continuing on to future modes. That and the Chaos mode (which I'd guess/hope has a unique final boss) seem to be the initiative for replay.

If you are continuing through difficulty levels, yes (As they are essentially all accessed through New Game+ and continuing on with the game to get stronger and face newly beefed opponents).

Even in the story you go through all main areas twice (albeit different routes). Now, I've heard the actual environments aren't as repetitive as Muramasa's could be, but I haven't seen enough to comment on that.

Okay, thanks. I'm glad to hear that the first play through with one character can be near 15+ hours, if you do all the side quests, etc.

As long as it isn't repetitive, than that's always good. Could be VanillaWare learned from their past criticism and made sure it was more varied. Revisiting areas for side quests makes sense.

Sounds great!

Ultimadrago

Yeah, the Dwarf has recently come on my radar. Tossing enemies and wall jump attacks seems like one hell of a good time. These uses seem to be more limited in boss encounters, but hopefully his ground normals will make for that in raw damage.

Riposte

i think you meant the labyrinth of chaos, it's not a difficulty level, it's just a random generated dungeon you unlock after you clear normal the 1st time
clear normal = unlock 1st 3 levels of labyrinth of chaos
hard = next 3
inferno = next 3 and i guess all the way until level 99 if what someone posted in the japanese wiki is true

Oh I get it. I still wish this game let me start on Inferno.

Caerith

You want your level 1 character to step out the game and get pounded by level 66 enemies?

Dwarf crew, holla.

One character can use daggers in close range and get a massive damage bonus for performing backstabs. Elf doesn't mess around.

thetrin

Yeah, the Dwarf has recently come on my radar. Tossing enemies and wall jump attacks seems like one hell of a good time. These uses seem to be more limited in boss encounters, but hopefully his ground normals will make for that in raw damage.

His Hold Square is basically an all around stat boost, so I'm sure he's fine in the damage department.

Why would you want your lvl 1 character getting ass kicked by lvl 60 monsters?

I'm 14 hours into the game, and I'm not done yet. I intend to max out at least 2 characters before calling it quits.

ToyBroker

Banned
You want your level 1 character to step out the game and get pounded by level 66 enemies?

One character can use daggers in close range and get a massive damage bonus for performing backstabs. Elf doesn't mess around.

No shit?

I had no idea the Elf had daggers and could do backstabs and stuff...damn, might have to switch to her.

I mean I knew she could melee, but I figured it was just those flips and hitting mobs with the bow.

Decisions decisions...hrm.

Caerith

No shit?

I had no idea the Elf had daggers and could do backstabs and stuff...damn, might have to switch to her.

I mean I knew she could melee, but I figured it was just those flips and hitting mobs with the bow.

Decisions decisions...hrm.

Seriously. Check out her entry on the 4gamer wiki (google translate may be necessary). Besides her archery, the Elf can attack with kicks or daggers. Kicks are unlimited use, while daggers are an equippable item with a limited number of uses. (I'm not sure how many uses, exactly-- the table says level 1 daggers get 3 uses, but the text box says 10 attacks per book, so maybe that means level 1 lets you attack 30 times with a dagger? Need confirmation from someone with the game.)

As for skill upgrades, kicks get a boot upgrade (more damage) while daggers get more uses (by upgrading the dagger skill itself), a backstab skill, and the ability to be enhanced with poison or fire damage.

By the looks of it, you can make a ninja elf if you don't want to use ranged attacks.

I actually found a cheap Vita ($99-119) so I'll be content with that. I also have a PS+ voucher I got from a Sony event so I'll use that (thanks for the reminder).

Yeah, can't see the Vita officially going below that, so you should be fine. Memory cards kinda suck, so it might be worth upgrading whatever came with yours, assuming Sony announces a mem card price drop at Gamescom.

I went in there to post that I had updated the OT with reviews, saw the same old sexism vs art argument, and decided not to bother.

Most of the reviews seemed not to factor the art direction in their scores, but it makes me wonder about the scores given by those who did. Most of the scores are 80s and 90s in Metacritic equivalency, but two of them are 60s. Is the art direction really worth 20-30 points? Please note this question is rhetorical.

Eh. The Escapist review is a three out of five stars affair, in which the art style was part of the factor for not getting that fourth star. As for Polygon, let's just say that everything Gies says is incorrect, and he's the reviews editor. Hence, all Polygon reviews are shit.

ive searched but have not found an answer...

Can I play with my brother locally, but at the same time, connect online to play with 2 other people? and have a 4 people party that way?

Top Bottom