• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Akainu

Congrats everyone the bitchfest review thread has more pages/post than the one about the actual game!

So I thought the Amazon originally got stronger the more blood that was on her now it's just how many attacks she gets in or was that never the case.

Astarte

Congrats everyone the bitchfest review thread has more pages/post than the one about the actual game!

So I thought the Amazon originally got stronger the more blood that was on her it's just how many attacks she gets in or was that never the case.

Controversy brings out the worst in all of us, and internet arguments never stop.

Espada

So I thought the Amazon originally got stronger the more blood that was on her it's just how many attacks she gets in or was that never the case.

I think that was just an impromptu translation or something. I remember that too, so when it was clarified uninterrupted strings power her up it made more sense.

Nazeem38

Banned
Pre-odered the PS3 version from Gamestop and the Vita version should be in the mail that same day. Can't wait.

Also I'll be attending an anime convention next weekend, and it would be pretty cool of they had this game playable in the game section. I'd imagine local co-op with strangers would be tons of fun.

Caerith

A lot of people seem to wanna talk about sexualized/objectified women in the review thread rather than the actual gameplay itself o_O
I don't think people actually want to talk about it, or they wouldn't be saying things that have been said a million times already.

I will admit seeing like a mermaid or naga with a human butt would throw me off a bit.
To be fair, seeing a mermaid or naga would surprise me regardless of their derriere.

I was pleasantly surprised with the review. He shared his thoughts about the repetitive nature of areas and combat (especially in relativity to difficulty increase) while briefly segmenting and explaining his experience up to the present. Ideally, the game will last a satisfactory length of time for me in terms of entertainment (something I can't say for all past Vanillaware games, unfortunately).

I liked how he went a bit into how you can chain different combo's together with the Knight. I'm assuming since he was using the Knight he didn't get to go deep into the other characters as I'm interested in what potential they have for advanced combo's.

Today I learned that in the world of Dragon's Crown, mermaids have human butts, and the fish part starts after that. Whodathunk?

The right stick ends up being a HUGE part of the game going forward, too. Runes, chests, doors, loot, reviving.

You seriously can't play the game without it.

I understand that, I just think it would have been good if they could have added something in the options that moves all of that stuff into the other controls somehow. This game will be fine with a normal controller.

I also saw in slasher's stream that you can change the difficulty in the Temple? Is that only available after you beat the game once or can you switch to Hard once you're in the town?

Caerith

I also saw in slasher's stream that you can change the difficulty in the Temple? Is that only available after you beat the game once or can you switch to Hard once you're in the town?
You can probably only go back to difficulties you've already cleared. My understanding is that the difficulties are more like Diablo where Normal has enemies leveled 1-35, and Hard has enemies leveled 36-65. You wouldn't be able to take a brand new character, say "I'm good at this kind of game" and set it to Infernal and go beat up level 66 mobs right out of the gate.

$h@d0w

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a Vita tomorrow for Dragon's Crown (yay) and was just wondering, are memory cards necessary to play it?

Requires around 10MB.

Just bought it from my local game shop. Asia (English) version. (SingaporeGAF here)

x01Dotjl.jpg

Thanks.

I also found this video from YouTube user "EpicNameBro"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UdxgvM11o8

It seems like the game is too easy until you beat it two or three times? New Game++? He likes infernal and chaos difficulties, but they seem to take a very long time to access. I think I'm officially unsold. Shame.

EDIT: There are some things that sound pretty cool. I like the idea of class roles for example. The death penalty seems like a decent compromise to a very scary problem. But the initial difficulty plus the grave mistake of making players play hours and hours to access true difficulty is enough to kill the game for me.

I kind of wish this was a 3 hour game with higher difficulty, faster loot drops that disappears upon the game's end, and harsher death penalties.
Wait, there's a 4th difficulty? :-O

I can't decide whether I want PSN or retail, ps3 or vita (or both :( ).
Since it seems rogue-like in nature, having it on psn on the vita at least seems to make sense (to maximize pick-up-and-playability).

Deitus

I can't decide whether I want PSN or retail, ps3 or vita (or both :( ).

Well, if preorder the retail copy, you get an amazing artbook. That's motivation enough for me. Other than that, I guess you're on your own.

Since it seems rogue-like in nature, having it on psn on the vita at least seems to make sense (to maximize pick-up-and-playability).

I'm not sure what you are referring to with "rogue-like", but I can assure you that you are using that term wrong. This is a beat-em-up with a persistent leveling system and other RPG mechanics.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So there's 3 difficulties, right?

And on the final difficulty, you can keep playing over and over right to get the god-tier loots?

Skilletor

Just ordered my copies through amazon. Can't fucking wait for this game. Might have a second copy of the art book to give away. Can't think of anybody I know irl who would want it that isn't buying the game.

Caerith

Amusingly, the last post before the close was actually about the reviews.
*removes link to it from OT, whistles nonchalantly*

It looks like a lot of people took a banhammer to the face from that. Before the arguments spill back to this thread, can I just preemptively say:

Please keep it civil, folks.

Ultimadrago

Amusingly, the last post before the close was actually about the reviews.

I don't agree that any part of Dragon's Crown's art is "extremely stupid", but it was nice to have it close on-topic.

Before the arguments spill back to this thread, can I just preemptively say:

Of course. Be prepared to take necessary measures if anyone attempts to drag it out in here.

Just ordered my copies through amazon. Can't fucking wait for this game. Might have a second copy of the art book to give away. Can't think of anybody I know irl who would want it that isn't buying the game.
You can try and sell it. When Ni No Kuni released I got the Griffy DLC, and I really didn't care for it...it sold for $30, making my game purchase a mere $20. When I eventually sell it, it'll probably have been a free game altogether. Also, is Fox and Hound on tomorrow?

*removes link to it from OT, whistles nonchalantly*

It looks like a lot of people took a banhammer to the face from that. Before the arguments spill back to this thread, can I just preemptively say:

Yeah, it was a bloodbath.

Can't wait until Tuesday! Wife and I are really looking forward to the game. Cool that Co-Optimus said that local co-op was really good.

chrono01

I paid express shipping specifically for this one. I normally go with free shipping, since it generally reaches me in a few days, but exceptions must be made! I seriously cannot wait for it.

I think I've decided to go with Fighter for my first round, Wizard for the second, and Elf for the third. I've, more-or-less, decided on their names as well, so I should be good to go!

I paid express shipping specifically for this one. I normally go with free shipping, since it generally reaches me in a few days, but exceptions must be made! I seriously cannot wait for it.

I think I've decided to go with Fighter for my first round, Wizard for the second, and Elf for the third. I've, more-or-less, decided on their names as well, so I should be good to go!
I'm not sure if I want to go for the Dwarf or Sorceress first. Spellcasting or grappling, spellcasting or grappling...

Holy crap...skimming through the past few pages in that review thread..i counted at least 6 casualties!

Oh yeah...

#TeamLife
#TeamVita

Well, if preorder the retail copy, you get an amazing artbook. That's motivation enough for me. Other than that, I guess you're on your own.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with "rogue-like", but I can assure you that you are using that term wrong. This is a beat-em-up with a persistent leveling system and other RPG mechanics.

Artbook, hmm. I love buying artbooks but I am almost always disappointed by the 'artbooks' you get from preorders. 64 pages makes it sounds like it could be ok.

Yes, sorry for vocabulary misuse, but I wasn't sure how to put the nature of the game in one word (I am assuming rogue-like really means persistent death? I don't even know) - but mostly meant it's the kind of game i could see myself playing slowly for a while.

Skilletor

You can try and sell it. When Ni No Kuni released I got the Griffy DLC, and I really didn't care for it...it sold for $30, making my game purchase a mere $20. When I eventually sell it, it'll probably have been a free game altogether. Also, is Fox and Hound on tomorrow?

Yup. You can body me at marvel. I've decided on my team.

That's pretty cool. I'm going to try that with all of the npcs.

It's great that this game apparently has strong DND vibes because it's been a long time since I've played a game.

Top Bottom