• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Sats

Banned
That's pretty cool. I'm going to try that with all of the npcs.

It's great that this game apparently has strong DND vibes because it's been a long time since I've played a game.

It's a spiritual successor to the old capcom DND games. I'm playing them to hold me over until the 6th.

Yeah, the Dwarf has recently come on my radar. Tossing enemies and wall jump attacks seems like one hell of a good time. These uses seem to be more limited in boss encounters, but hopefully his ground normals will make for that in raw damage.

LOL..this reminds me of an old side scroller beat up with 2 dude bros. They could literally pick up ANYTHING and throw...even cars and such. Forgot what's the name of the game, but it was fun and hilarious!

maomaoIYP

Just an update, I picked up my copy today. Mine's the Asia English version. There's an Asia Japanese version as well.

The game is gorgeous. You can only change voices into Japanese after you choose a character.

Skyzard

Banned
Just to get an idea of what to expect, how would you rate the gameplay FUN out of 10 (for the genre) and overall?

9/10 and 8/10?

Caerith

Eh. The Escapist review is a three out of five stars affair, in which the art style was part of the factor for not getting that fourth star. As for Polygon, let's just say that everything Gies says is incorrect, and he's the reviews editor. Hence, all Polygon reviews are shit.
Yeah, looking back at the review scores, the Escapist's makes a bit more sense since they seem to be using the 5-star system as it was intended, which isn't directly comparable to the 4-point (6,7,8,9) scale used almost everywhere else.

I'm surprised anyone even reads Polygon anymore.

ive searched but have not found an answer...

Can I play with my brother locally, but at the same time, connect online to play with 2 other people? and have a 4 people party that way?
Yes, you can mix local and online. Co-Optimus has probably the best explanation of how co-op works. (I wonder, can you restrict who is able to join you to Friends Only?)

Eterniti

Just to get an idea of what to expect, how would you rate the gameplay FUN out of 10 (for the genre) and overall?

9/10 and 8/10?

I gave it an 8 out of 10 overall in my review (Gamer Horizon in OP). I'd say definitely a 9 on fun if I were to break it down. Most of my gripes were technical and personal (story, AI partners as consumables, slowdown on Vita)

20 hours, times 6 characters... Who the hell wants a 120-hour beat-em-up?
jrH29LP.gif

LMAO epic

ToyBroker

Banned
Seriously. Check out her entry on the 4gamer wiki (google translate may be necessary). Besides her archery, the Elf can attack with kicks or daggers. Kicks are unlimited use, while daggers are an equippable item with a limited number of uses. (I'm not sure how many uses, exactly-- the table says level 1 daggers get 3 uses, but the text box says 10 attacks per book, so maybe that means level 1 lets you attack 30 times with a dagger? Need confirmation from someone with the game.)

As for skill upgrades, kicks get a boot upgrade (more damage) while daggers get more uses (by upgrading the dagger skill itself), a backstab skill, and the ability to be enhanced with poison or fire damage.

By the looks of it, you can make a ninja elf if you don't want to use ranged attacks.

Browsing the wiki now.

I remember someone posting about it the other day saying it was like crazy complete for the game being out in Japan by the time it was finished--never bothered to check it out though.

Good on ya for the headsup, brah.

Caerith

Browsing the wiki now.

I remember someone posting about it the other day saying it was like crazy complete for the game being out in Japan by the time it was finished--never bothered to check it out though.

Good on ya for the headsup, brah.
That's what brahs are for-- to provide support.

The 4gamer wiki isn't totally complete, but it's a good start. The only thing I'm wary of is that Google Translate keeps insisting the Dwarf is Australian that they make specific skill recommendations when the game has been out for less than a week.

They sure seem to review things pretty highly there. Oh well, I'll add El Dojo to the OT.

pariah164

When you buy new weapons/armor (assuming you can), does it show on the character? Like, does it look different? Or is it just the stats upgraded, but everything looks the same?

Eterniti

When you buy new weapons/armor (assuming you can), does it show on the character? Like, does it look different? Or is it just the stats upgraded, but everything looks the same?

You get weapons and armor as drops in the dungeons and you can use them after you appraise them. Only the weapons' appearance changes.

Gibbo

spent 2 hours on the game so far. this and persona 4 have easily justified my vita purchase.

graphics are insane on the ps vita. also i can see how tapping on stuff in the background can become annoying if you are playing on the ps3.

anyway, feel free to add me to psn . Id: tanbern

For us the day Dragon's Crown released in america was one of the most anticipated days of the year

But for Atlus... It was tuesday.

Mr. Pin

Neo Member
Seriously. Check out her entry on the 4gamer wiki (google translate may be necessary). Besides her archery, the Elf can attack with kicks or daggers. Kicks are unlimited use, while daggers are an equippable item with a limited number of uses. (I'm not sure how many uses, exactly-- the table says level 1 daggers get 3 uses, but the text box says 10 attacks per book, so maybe that means level 1 lets you attack 30 times with a dagger? Need confirmation from someone with the game.)

As for skill upgrades, kicks get a boot upgrade (more damage) while daggers get more uses (by upgrading the dagger skill itself), a backstab skill, and the ability to be enhanced with poison or fire damage.

By the looks of it, you can make a ninja elf if you don't want to use ranged attacks.

That's because the Elf Dagger and the Dagger weapon are two different things.

A Dagger is a random item that anyone can pick up and use, and has 10 uses.
The Elf's "Holdout Dagger" skill gives her an item that she can use up to 3 times per mission to summon a Dagger weapon.

Caerith

That's because the Elf Dagger and the Dagger weapon are two different things.

A Dagger is a random item that anyone can pick up and use, and has 10 uses.
The Elf's "Holdout Dagger" skill gives her an item that she can use up to 3 times per mission to summon a Dagger weapon.
I knew about the random-drop Dagger being different from Elf's Dagger. The question is, how many times can the Elf use her dagger per summon? Does it last 10 attacks, so that at 3 summons she can attack 30 times with it?

Skyzard

Banned
I gave it an 8 out of 10 overall in my review (Gamer Horizon in OP). I'd say definitely a 9 on fun if I were to break it down. Most of my gripes were technical and personal (story, AI partners as consumables, slowdown on Vita)

Thanks, that sounds good and what I was about hoping for. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Haven't played a game like that in a long time, will be great to throw into the vita game mix.

Orrr...they're just hanging out as buddies. :p

Don't know why everyone makes so much out of characters in a group interacting. Hah. Oh, well.

Do all preorders come with the artbook? I preordered last week off Amazon and I don't remember it saying anything about the artbook. Sad to hear about the Vita slowdown since I chose to get that instead of ps3.

Everyone always seems to miss this...

sueil

Do all preorders come with the artbook? I preordered last week off Amazon and I don't remember it saying anything about the artbook. Sad to hear about the Vita slowdown since I chose to get that instead of ps3.

Elf is the best character.

She will stab you in the back. Then shoot you with an arrow. Then kick you in the air.

Then she'll ride away on a raptor.

A true baller.

Mupod

Oh shit, the Future Shop preorder page never mentioned the artbook before, but it's listed there now. I went with it anyways because of the E3 preorder discount, but I'd love the artbook.

Caerith

http://twitter.com/vanillaware_boy

He posted countdown art every day leading up to the release.
Oh, this?

You might have missed this other picture:

Motorcycles are canon. Dragon's Crown 2 is actually going to be a spiritual successor to Road Rash.

I have no idea if this is what he's talking about but it's awesome

jHxhw2nBPdy4S.jpg
Oh that's not it, but remember that Vita is the recommended version for squirrels.

Top Bottom