• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

pariah164

Pfft I'm gonna post loot anyways.

It's about the game so I think we're cool.

I wanna see screenshots/pics though of that loot. I can't trust you guys! (especially if you have better lewtz than me)
I'd love to, if there was an easy way to take screencaps off a Vita.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
none of the loot is terribly special for the most part. you get better stuff after almost every run and you level up quickly, so you never keep any one piece of kit for long, i just keep shuffling outdated gear to other bags before selling it. this is especially true when you start doing longer and longer runs without returning to town.

RedSwirl

I still haven't beaten Odin Sphere or done the extra content in Muramasa. Does anyone whose played the game (import) not feel like going back to those games ever again?

none of the loot is terribly special for the most part. you get better stuff after almost every run and you level up quickly, so you never keep any one piece of kit for long, i just keep shuffling outdated gear to other bags before selling it. this is especially true when you start doing longer and longer runs without returning to town.

This is actually a massive dividing line for me. How in the hell is character progression going to be fun and interesting if it's mainly just stat sticks? I will never waste my time with another Diablo 3. There are deeper beat-em-ups combat wise, and I could just google the art and youtube the soundtrack to enjoy that. If they don't make loot interesting to make it addictive, I really doubt this is going to appeal to me. I need a good reason to keep playing. Boring stat progression and only putting points into skills (which just does what? makes them stronger? no new special properties on the skills?) is painfully dull. I don't know how someone could rate that highly as addicting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This is actually a massive dividing line for me. How in the hell is character progression going to be fun and interesting if it's mainly just stat sticks? I will never waste my time with another Diablo 3.

i haven't reached inferno yet, so i have no idea how the long term progression is going to pan out. according to ENB though (who i trust very much), things get amazing once you get to that point and unlock all the chaos labyrinth stuff.

right now i'm playing for the sake of the fun combat and fleshing out my character skills more than gear, so maybe at that point things turn around. skills themselves are definitely not just stat buffs, for example you can put elf's skills into item mainenance, daggers, poisons and backstab damage to really change how the character approaches bosses and stuff. there's a lot of variety.

Does the loot look different or is it all the same with different stats?

This is actually a massive dividing line for me. How in the hell is character progression going to be fun and interesting if it's mainly just stat sticks? I will never waste my time with another Diablo 3. There are deeper beat-em-ups combat wise, and I could just google the art and youtube the soundtrack to enjoy that. If they don't make loot interesting to make it addictive, I really doubt this is going to appeal to me. I need a good reason to keep playing. Boring stat progression and only putting points into skills (which just does what? makes them stronger? no new special properties on the skills?) is painfully dull. I don't know how someone could rate that highly as addicting.
List all of these new, deeper 2D beat-em-ups. Please.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
7FIKL4f.jpg

Holy shit do some research on the game before you go into full rant mode

What Karsticles said. Plus the bolded is also wrong. Enjoy your other, deeper beat-em-ups though.

7FIKL4f.jpg

Holy shit do some research on the game before you go into full rant mode

OT is pretty garbage if I need to go outside the thread to get basic info like loot progression and how skill ups work. Might as well keep the thread title and just have the OP read: "Put your comments about this game in here".

What Karsticles said. Plus the bolded is also wrong. Enjoy your other, deeper beat-em-ups though.

Explain how it's wrong. You put points into skills (explained in OP). And then I asked what that did (which was not explained in the OP).

Caerith

I kinda love you for that Scribblenauts pic.

And I agree with your statement.
Haha, awesome.

I guess you didn't waste your time reading my response to you on the previous page.

OT is pretty garbage if I need to go outside the thread to get basic info like loot progression and how skill ups work. Might as well keep the thread title and just have the OP read: "Put your comments about this game in here".
Listen. I'm only going to say this once, and all further replies on this subject will be two words often heard in a CeeLo Green song.

According to the NeoGAF terms of service, users 13 years of age and under are prohibited from registering. You are not a baby, we are not here to change your diaper.

OTs, not just this one but all OTs, are made by volunteers. Normal joes and janes who aren't on a company payroll. These aren't instruction manuals and were never intended to be.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are there actual culinary skills in this game? The description that the sorceress "can create delicious food" made me think it'd be a neat mechanic.

Caerith

Are there actual culinary skills in this game? The description that the sorceress "makes delicious food" made me think it'd be a neat mechanic.
Between levels, you have the choice of returning to town or making camp. If you make camp, you get a hot pot minigame where you add food to pots, stir it, season it, etc, and serve it to get bonuses for your next level. Said bonuses are lessened if you burn your food.

Sorceress's skill to create food basically summons food out of mid-air. Since food can buff your HP to 150%, it's a really valuable skill to use before a boss fight.

Edit: video of cooking.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Between levels, you have the choice of returning to town or making camp. If you make camp, you get a hot pot minigame where you add food to pots, stir it, season it, etc, and serve it to get bonuses for your next level. Said bonuses are lessened if you burn your food.

Sorceress's skill to create food basically summons food out of mid-air. Since food can buff your HP to 150%, it's a really valuable skill to use before a boss fight.

Thanks for the thorough response.

I knew that there was a cooking mechanic in the game, I just wasn't sure if there were specific skills tied to cooking and whether a particular character can cook for the entire group or not. The description makes sense with the Sorceress being able to summon food, though. I like it.

pariah164

Now for a Cooking Mama DLC. Food Sage.

I know, different company, don't care.

$h@d0w

I really doubt this is going to appeal to me. I need a good reason to keep playing. Boring stat progression and only putting points into skills (which just does what? makes them stronger? no new special properties on the skills?) is painfully dull. I don't know how someone could rate that highly as addicting.

I'm very early in the game but the skills I have got for my Fighter increase the speed of his basic attack combo, give him a new parry ability, modify his uppercut move with a longer ripple and increase the effect of his shockwave move.

The ground shockwave is a high risk move because he stabs the sword in the ground for a massive damage AoE attack, but it stays there for a few seconds, meaning you have to defend yourself with just shield and hands before you can pick it up again.

I've read elsewhere that there are different possible builds for each character, although I haven't got to the stage where the skill tree diverges (3 hours played). I can see some higher level Fighter skills that are geared towards tanking. These are additional moves you do not have from the start.

There are 16 player character slots in your tavern and this encourage you to try everyone out in different configurations.

There's also a common skill tree in addition to your character's own which, when invested in, affects all of the characters you create.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
According to the PS Blogcast, there'll be a demo of the game on Tuesday when PSN updates. Pretty sure it's both Vita & PS3, but at the moment, might just be PS3.

DR2K

Banned

What the hell is this?

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
I really like the cooking element between dungeons. Ideally, you'll quickly cook for all the characters in your party, but it is a good way to get a massive health boost before going into another dungeon.

It also provides temporary stat boosts. I think the kind of boosts you get are related to the items you cook, and which pot you make it in.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I really like the cooking element between dungeons. Ideally, you'll quickly cook for all the characters in your party, but it is a good way to get a massive health boost before going into another dungeon.

It also provides temporary stat boosts. I think the kind of boosts you get are related to the items you cook, and which pot you make it in.

best thing about the cooking game is that the available ingredients changes depending on the level you just finished. ex. beat the ghost ship, get lots of seafood. :)

Does the cooking minigame need to be unlocked? I just unlocked the stables, and I don't recall coming across an option to continue adventuring without returning to town.

Caerith

The 4gamer wiki page about cooking says that you get the option to cook or boil, which gives different bonuses for some foods (like, a higher atk% vs a higher def% but otherwise equal).

There's a strategy to cooking, too. Your goal is to cook (and eat) as much stuff as possible without letting anything burn. You can speed up cooking by mixing it, so at start your goal should be to stagger your cooking times. If the pots are A, B, C, and D, put food in A and B, then mix A so it finishes faster. Once you serve A, put something else in A so now you'll have A and B alternating their finish times and you don't have to rush or worry about things burning and also have time to eat.

Oh, and the ingredients available depend on what level you just cleared. (You're eating what you killed.) And the seasonings provide a multiplier, with different seasonings affecting foods differently. It looks like a lot of fun, really.

pariah164

The 4gamer wiki page about cooking says that you get the option to cook or boil, which gives different bonuses for some foods (like, a higher atk% vs a higher def% but otherwise equal).

There's a strategy to cooking, too. Your goal is to cook (and eat) as much stuff as possible without letting anything burn. You can speed up cooking by mixing it, so at start your goal should be to stagger your cooking times. If the pots are A, B, C, and D, put food in A and B, then mix A so it finishes faster. Once you serve A, put something else in A so now you'll have A and B alternating their finish times and you don't have to rush or worry about things burning and also have time to eat.

Oh, and the ingredients available depend on what level you just cleared. (You're eating what you killed.) And the seasonings provide a multiplier, with different seasonings affecting foods differently. It looks like a lot of fun, really.
Oh my lord, that sounds completely awesome.Tuesday can't get here quick enough.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Does the cooking minigame need to be unlocked? I just unlocked the stables, and I don't recall coming across an option to continue adventuring without returning to town.

if you've unlocked the stables, then you can chain level runs. every time you finish a level, choose to keep going instead of returning to town and eventually you'll get it. it only happens after certain levels.

make sure to buy some bags for backup gear sets so your stuff doesn't break in the middle of a run.

additionally, make sure you only serve food to yourself so you get the buffs. your bowl corresponds with your position on the player bar. if you're player 3, put food in the 3rd bowl.

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member

Yeah, it is super manic. This is another area where the Vita is a more desirable option because you can poke food, pots, and seasonings way faster than using the analog stick. More and more I'm selling myself on just playing the game on Vita.

Ultimadrago

Much deeper than I thought at first glance, but it always seemed like an entertaining mini-game. I'm even more excited for it now!

Caerith

Yeah, it is super manic. This is another area where the Vita is a more desirable option because you can poke food, pots, and seasonings way faster than using the analog stick. More and more I'm selling myself on just playing the game on Vita.
It might be a non-issue. It looks like it takes about 10 seconds for food to cook even with stirring, which should be plenty of time to move the cursor.

That video I linked earlier? Those players are terrible cooks, they burned almost everything. You can hear their characters complain as they choke it down.

Got our copies in at work a couple days ago, snapped some pictures of the art book they come with. It's pretty nice, I can post a couple pictures I took of it if anyone is interested (I wasn't sure if they had shown what was in it yet).

pariah164

Got our copies in at work a couple days ago, snapped some pictures of the art book they come with. It's pretty nice, I can post a couple pictures I took of it if anyone is interested (I wasn't sure if they had shown what was in it yet).

I'm definitely interested. Hngh HYPE.

Endo Punk

So Ive seen some gameplay sessions from machinima, rev3 and such and I find it weird that despite all the hate the amazon and sorceress get most playhroughs including games media continue to choose them and mock the characters at the same time. WTF? if you're offended choose one of the many other characters, sheeesh it's so annoying listening to them talk and throughout they keep bringing up tit and ass. We get it!

IWKYB

Banned
...Is there voice chat on the Vita version? If so MUTE. I always play with headphones or play loud music. Or sing while I play videogames.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
wow i just lost about 50 minutes worth of chained runs because of a disconnect

hnglf

edit: then the game locked up

Caerith

wow i just lost about 50 minutes worth of chained runs because of a disconnect

hnglf

edit: then the game locked up
I saw someone mention this elsewhere:

I have hit 4 crashes in the last 30ish hours and I am fairly confident this is due to too many people enter/leaving game or having unstable connections that cause the game matchmaker to "trip" and crash your session. Losing all progress. A stable team of 4 should reduce this problem by a lot.
I lost 3 levels in the random dungeon (that's 9 runs) when my allies disconnected and the automated matchmaker booted me back to town. Kept the loot. Didn't keep the clear history.

The matchmaker is extremely vulnerable to people leaving/entering. Especially between levels and during the actual run of the dungeon.

I plan on duo-ing everything with my girlfriend so, you know, "my heart is fine," but it seems to be an unintentional "high risk high reward" bug that I hope Atlus a) knows of and b) is able to patch a fix for.

Top Bottom