• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

mackattk

Excited about this, after all the delays.

p69cP1c.jpg

Played a bit. It looks fucking awesome, art style is great (got some lovely boobs there) and the gamplay is fun. I never thought i would like this game but really enjoying it right now. How long does it takes you to beat?

10~20 hours per character. The time seems to vary quite a bit from person to person. Most times I've seen are usually 15~20 hours, but some seem to have finished it in around 10.

When's Elf

Uhh...Tuesday?

SteveThom

Banned
Is there a way to see how it looks directly on your vita. No videos on the vita store.

I am wavering between the ps3 version and the vita version hard. lol

Caerith

If we want to keep this thread open--and I think we do--let's try to leave this stuff alone and focus on the game. Don't want to risk this turning out like the review thread.

Thanks dudes.

Thanks, Cyan. Please don't close this thread!

Sorry for the pages-late reply...

You've got it right. The dagger the Elf summons is the same weapon as you'd get out of a box, so it's 10 uses per dagger. At level 1 of the Holdout Dagger skill, she can summon three daggers for 30 uses total. Improving the HD skill increases the number of times she can summon a dagger, but it's still 10 uses per dagger.

There's also a general skill for everybody that grants you a pretty decent chance of a subweapon's uses not being incremented when you attack with it, so if you're really going Ninja Elf you'll want to boost that one, too.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to make a ninja elf (at some point, probably my second character).

It was more like 10 when I was playing, but I was also writing and being very thorough. You restart the quest with each new character you create. You keep the collected items and AI characters, but your story mode restart each time you pick a new character. Initially.
I read somewhere (maybe Co-Optimus) that when you load the game up, where you are in the story is based on which character is Player 1 but all other characters will have their progress saved as long as they were up to that point. Bullet point examples:
  • Alice is a new character; Bob is on stage 5. Player 1 picks Alice, Player 2 picks Bob. The story starts at the beginning (because Player 1 is a new character). If they play all the way through stage 9 (and unlock co-op), then this progress is saved for both Alice and Bob.
  • Alice is a new character; Bob is on stage 5. Player 1 picks Bob, Player 2 picks Alice. The story starts at stage 5 (because Player 1 is Bob). If they play all the way through stage 9 (and unlock co-op), then this progress is only saved for Bob (Alice will keep the experience and loot, but she cannot progress the story by skipping chapters).
  • Alice and Bob are new characters. Player 1 picks Alice, Player 2 picks Bob. They start at the beginning and co-op together all the way through the end. Online is unlocked for both characters after stage 9, and Hard is unlocked for both characters after beating Normal. They only get the "win the game as X" trophy for Alice's class, but can replay the final boss with Bob as Player 1 to get Bob's class trophy.
  • Carol is a new character. Alice and Bob are level 99 avatars of destruction. Player 1 picks Carol, Players 2 and 3 pick Alice and Bob. Since Player 1's character is in Normal, Alice and Bob are scaled down to level 35 (the level cap for Normal).
Please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these counts. My overall takeaway though is that if you're going to co-op, Player 1 should be the character with the least advancement.

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
Is there a way to see how it looks directly on your vita. No videos on the vita store.

There's no difference in detail between the PS3 and Vita versions. The only difference I'm seeing is frame rate (which I haven't noticed too much). But, I have horrible eyes and don't notice dropped frames like some people do.

Caerith

I think Slasher's review (linked in the OP) includes him holding the Vita up to the camera to show it off. Is that what you meant?

pariah164

I think the Vita version wins out, since you can open chests and pick up loot using the touch screen, but that's just me.

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these counts. My overall takeaway though is that if you're going to co-op, Player 1 should be the character with the least advancement.

I imagine that would be the fastest way to bypass unlocking via local multiplayer. I'm only speaking from a single-player perspective with online multiplayer. I'll play around with it more tonight and see if I'm wrong, but from what I've experienced, starting new characters restarts the single player mode for that character.

SteveThom

Banned
I think Slasher's review (linked in the OP) includes him holding the Vita up to the camera to show it off. Is that what you meant?

Yeah I saw it and it looked ok.

It really comes down to visual quality since frame drops aren't a issue and I think I could deal with right stick action.

currently have a ps3 preorder in place.

Oh well I waver until it's "too late" lol

Anyone else undecided on a class yet? They all seem appealing in their own way.

Knight and If the AI companion thing is in, I'm running with an Amazon all day erry day. Team Hometown fer always.

I feel for those who got banned despite keeping a level head. Hope to see them online.
word *pours out some sunny D to the fallen*
I hope from now on all polygon threads are closed early, they thrive on the negative attention, and they know how and where to get it from,
lets not feed into it any longer.

Caerith

I imagine that would be the fastest way to bypass unlocking via local multiplayer. I'm only speaking from a single-player perspective with online multiplayer. I'll play around with it more tonight and see if I'm wrong, but from what I've experienced, starting new characters restarts the single player mode for that character.
Yeah, you definitely have to unlock online with every character, but at least for anyone doing couch co-op they don't have to worry about having to replay everything.

As for the "unlocking multiplayer" but, I think the bit ponpo quoted two pages ago is spot on:

Well since my review thread was locked, Siliconcera impressions!

A bit about the 'unlocking multiplayer':

As soon as I stepped online, I realized why you need to earn the right to do so with each character. Multiplayer is madness in comparison to single player. Instead of shepherding your AI around and hoping they do the right thing, you’re working on keeping up with the rest of the team.To be an asset you need to know your character back to front. All of a sudden, I was very grateful to have had 15 hours of experience under my belt as the Fighter. I’d gradually developed him into a killing machine. I could defeat most standard enemies off of a single wall bounce (which handily, I could start by running up to an enemy and shoulder-ramming them), stay in the air for obscene amounts of time by abusing aerial launchers and air tackles, and I had some basic strategies for surviving each boss… but everyone else knew their characters just as well (if not better) than I knew mine.

A single skirmish online might have Sorceresses flying through the air and reanimating skeleton knights, wizards bringing down the game’s frame rate (at least on Vita) with screen-covering tornadoes and blizzards while teleporting all over the place, and Dwarves tossing enemies all over the screen like professional wrestlers. Even with the additional bit of slowdown online, everything seems faster and more chaotic. I didn’t even notice that the damage numbers that popped out of enemies were color coded until I started trying to keep track of where exactly I was in the explosions of particles and numbers. It was frantic, but also joyous. Everyone was playing the game as it was meant to be played.
Pros and cons, really. There's a definite plus to knowing that everyone you play with will know how to play their character, but it's a definite negative in that you can't play with friends until you unlock it. Then again, it's a plus that you can't have your overpowered friends just curbstomp all your tutorial bosses for you so you don't need to learn anything.

If it had been up to me, I'd have had the game distinguish between Friends and Randoms and let you play with friends from the very beginning-- not let you skip the tutorial and join friends on B-path missions, but let you at least bring your friends into the tutorial A-path missions with you. But I don't work at Atlus so, like a goose once said, I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
Yep yep yep.

When I wanted to make actual story progress, I turned multiplayer off. Playing online screwed me out of two talismans based on other players either dragging me through a door, or not focusing/helping me complete the timed objective.

Boss fights in the second half of the game have stages. Beating it in the first stage unlocks the item you need to finish the story. But, a lot of people I met online were either already finished or just doing loot runs.

Action does get ridiculous, and I constantly lost track of where I was on screen when players started going crazy with the magic and summoning.

But I attribute losing my place on screen more to my poor vision than a horrible fault with Dragon's Crown.

Caerith

Yeah I saw it and it looked ok.

It really comes down to visual quality since frame drops aren't a issue and I think I could deal with right stick action.

currently have a ps3 preorder in place.

Oh well I waver until it's "too late" lol
There are people who don't mind a frame rate dip, and there are people who are seriously pissed off when games drop below 120fps at max setting. "Frame drops aren't an issue" is really at the mercy of the subject's prejudice.

For me, the bigger screen is where it's at. (Not having a Vita had little to do with this decision.)

Yep yep yep.

When I wanted to make actual story progress, I turned multiplayer off. Playing online screwed me out of two talismans based on other players either dragging me through a door, or not focusing/helping me complete the timed objective.

Boss fights in the second half of the game have stages. Beating it in the first stage unlocks the item you need to finish the story. But, a lot of people I met online were either already finished or just doing loot runs.

Action does get ridiculous, and I constantly lost track of where I was on screen when players started going crazy with the magic and summoning.

But I attribute losing my place on screen more to my poor vision than a horrible fault with Dragon's Crown.

Is online all-or-nothing? Like, if you open it up to friends then it opens to randoms as well? The idea of people rushing through doors, etc, makes me think I'll just keep it off and stick with 2-player local only.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SO and I already have our ad-hoc co-op runs planned out.

Sorceress and Amazon.
Dwarf and Elf.
Fighter and Wizard.

I hope that by splitting up the ranged classes, we won't come across the "loss of character" problem.

Can we just avoid using certain spells, or are they pretty essential?

vitiosuslepos

Neo Member
You do have the option to add friends. Mind you, I was playing pre-release where only other journalists and Japanese players were online. I play in the middle of the night so I was playing mostly with Japanese randoms. I think...ALL Japanese randoms.

SO and I already have our ad-hoc co-op runs planned out.

Sorceress and Amazon.
Dwarf and Elf.
Fighter and Wizard.

I hope that by splitting up the ranged classes, we won't come across the "loss of character" problem.

Those are the splits I was thinking of doing. :-O

nesmar

Are the controls arcade stick friendly? I want to do local co op, but I have 1 ps3 controller and 3 arcade sticks :/

ToyBroker

Banned
This may seem silly, but is there a tutorial mode? I'm pretty fresh when it comes to side-scrolling beat-em-ups.

From what I understand literally the first difficulty/run through is quite easy (as in no need for godlike gear) so you'll be OK.

The hardest thing that we're all gonna have to get used to when we start playing is understanding where our character is on the 3D space and whether or not we're actually attacking an enemy on the same plane.

I already know that's going to be a bitch to get used to right off the bat--but should be able to get used to quite quickly.

pariah164

From what I understand literally the first difficulty/run through is quite easy (as in no need for godlike gear) so you'll be OK.

The hardest thing that we're all gonna have to get used to when we start playing is understanding where our character is on the 3D space and whether or not we're actually attacking an enemy on the same plane.

I already know that's going to be a bitch to get used to right off the bat--but should be able to get used to quite quickly.

From what I am hearing, the first few stages serve that purpose really well. You will be fine. Nice avatar, btw.

Thank you both. That's good to hear!

To ironcreed: thanks for the compliment. It's one of my favorite pieces of Sorceress art.

ToyBroker

Banned

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's trading in this game? I'm kind of a min-maxer when it comes to loot games.

I'm assuming there's no trade window type things or anything like that, but I wonder if you can drop a piece on the ground for a friend to pick up or something.

Can anyone show me what loot is like in this game? All I've seen in the OT is some standard stats but is that all loot will be? Stat sticks? No special procs or properties? Are there skill trees?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This may be a stupid question but anybody know if they plan on releasing DLC later? Like new classes or levels or whatevs?
All we know at the moment is voice DLC where you can change the voice over of the narration to one of the 6 characters, which'll be free at launch for about a month, then will cost $2.

Caerith

Speaking of which, does anyone know if there's trading in this game? I'm kind of a min-maxer when it comes to loot games.

I'm assuming there's no trade window type things or anything like that, but I wonder if you can drop a piece on the ground for a friend to pick up or something.
I don't think there's any kind of trading, but all loot is shared on your own account (so other characters you make can still use it).

That might fall into chatting. If interest warrants, I could make a Skype group chat or something.
They're going to move this thread to Community anyway (on or around September 6), so I don't think posting loot will be a bad thing. I'd just suggest that we don't just list our new drops, but that we discuss them. Like, don't just say "I got an ogre-slaying knife! It's +9 against ogres!" without also saying "This will be really good in the ogre level, but Orcrist will generally be more useful."

This may be a stupid question but anybody know if they plan on releasing DLC later? Like new classes or levels or whatevs?

They haven't announced any DLC other than the voice packs. It's not a stupid question at all, because I'd certainly be hyped for DLC "modules" introducing like 2 new stage types and new story.

Although, I think a few people would be happy if they released Japanese voice packs here. It would probably take a kickstarter or something to be sure they can cover the licensing costs, though.

Caerith

Can anyone show me what loot is like in this game? All I've seen in the OT is some standard stats but is that all loot will be? Stat sticks? No special procs or properties? Are there skill trees?
Weapons will have special procs and stuff, and each class does have their own skills (not trees, just skills) to put points into. There's nothing in the OT at the moment due to lack of translation, but if you can read Japanese or Google-Translatese, there's always the 4gamer wiki (link to weapon effects page)

pariah164

They're going to move this thread to Community anyway (on or around September 6), so I don't think posting loot will be a bad thing. I'd just suggest that we don't just list our new drops, but that we discuss them. Like, don't just say "I got an ogre-slaying knife! It's +9 against ogres!" without also saying "This will be really good in the ogre level, but Orcrist will generally be more useful.

Good plan. "You're not there, you're getting drunk!"

ToyBroker

Banned
That might fall into chatting. If interest warrants, I could make a Skype group chat or something.

Pfft I'm gonna post loot anyways.

It's about the game so I think we're cool.

I wanna see screenshots/pics though of that loot. I can't trust you guys! (especially if you have better lewtz than me)

Top Bottom