• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Caerith

Preordered today. And I was given the artbook early. :D Can get pics if anyone wants.

And I regard their games as, respectively:

Odin Sphere - Masterpiece
Grim Grimoire - Amazing
Muramasa - Very Good

So if this is even better, we're in for a treat.
Grim Grimoire only amazing? You monster.

Preordered today. And I was given the artbook early. :D Can get pics if anyone wants.

Grim Grimoire - Amazing
Muramasa - Very Good

Having never played the game, is Grand Knights History considered a main Vanillaware title? Is it as good as their other titles if so? I rarely see it mentioned.

cj_iwakura

Having never played the game, is Grand Knights History considered a main Vanillaware title? Is it as good as their other titles if so? I rarely see it mentioned.

It's very much a VW title. I've never played it, sadly, but I do hope VW have the respect to put XSeed's hard work and effort in translating it to use.

Yes it is. I played it for a very big chunk of time (~20 or hours) on the PSP when a fan english patch was released. All it did was translate most of the skills and the menus and some stuff on the over world. I got by on trial and error but I really enjoyed it. It had a big online component and I was eagerly anticipating XSEED's release of it and pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it was announced on Amazon.

The graphics are amazing and really popped on the PSP screen and I can only imagine how wonderful they would look on the VITA. It was a very addicting game (for me) and I was really let down when I heard it wasn't coming after all. It is a turned based RPG with a slight tactical tinge added to it in the form of your troop placements and each formation granted some bonuses or lowered defense/attack on others. Very fun it was.

maomaoIYP

Grim Grimoire - Amazing
Muramasa - Very Good

I've been replaying Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire in anticipation for this. I find GG a much better game in terms of mechanics and story. OS has lots of input lag and tons of repetitive combat, something that doesn't really stand up among the games of today.

Dragon's Crown has much better combat than OS. The 4 hit combo mechanics are largely the same (hold forward to do advancing strikes, hold square to block, etc). There is no noticeable input lag, the freeform combo system is much more fun and you get 3 very different character types (melee vs magic vs bow). Unfortunately the story doesn't really stand up to OS and definitely not GG. It's clear that they wanted to put focus on the combat.

Tohsaka

Read elsewhere that while the US version has dual audio for the player characters, the narration is strictly English only. It's rather disappointing, but not a deal-breaker. Can't wait for my copy to arrive on Tuesday, regardless.

maomaoIYP

Read elsewhere that while the US version has dual audio for the player characters, the narration is strictly English only. It's rather disappointing, but not a deal-breaker. Can't wait for my copy to arrive on Tuesday, regardless.

Actually it's only dual audio for your character's voices. All other characters (Rannie, your hirelings etc) have English voices.

npa189

Is anyone doing any combo saving for buying both versions? I just want a little discount. Vita could be my first jump, but if I really like it, I think I might double dip.

Tohsaka

Actually it's only dual audio for your character's voices. All other characters (Rannie, your hirelings etc) have English voices.

That's unfortunate. Doesn't the Japanese version have dual audio for everything? I'd have just gotten that version if so, but I can't really read enough kanji at this point to be able to get the most out of the game.

Still bummed out about Grand Knight History. Hope Dragons Crowns success revives that game since they now have the time to work on it.

If we never see GKH, at least we know that DC is so good that it was worth the sacrifice.

RoKKeR

I'm going into this game completely blind. Watched one review, was enough to sell me on the game and my Vita needs some shit to play.

I've never really played a game like Dragon's Crown before so, here's hoping I enjoy it. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is it really worth playing? The words RTS and console don't really mix together in my head

Yes, it's awesome. It's my favorite Vanillaware game after Dragon's Crown. They handled it really really well.

I'm going into this game completely blind. Watched one review, was enough to sell me on the game and my Vita needs some shit to play.

I've never really played a game like Dragon's Crown before so, here's hoping I enjoy it. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun, though.

Wow, you've never played a beat em up? How did that happen? (I just had the realization that I assume everyone is around my age or older, and went to arcades as a kid)

Jarsonot

Anyone have any idea why this game DOESN'T have cross-play?

Honest question. It's the same content, right? I'm thinking what is it that 2 ps3s playing online are doing that a vita and a ps3 can't do? Doesn't the game just have to synch character inputs, basically?

It looks like they put a lot of effort into the game and I'm wondering what was difficult in enabling cross-play.

$h@d0w

Anyone have any idea why this game DOESN'T have cross-play?

Honest question. It's the same content, right? I'm thinking what is it that 2 ps3s playing online are doing that a vita and a ps3 can't do? Doesn't the game just have to synch character inputs, basically?

It looks like they put a lot of effort into the game and I'm wondering what was difficult in enabling cross-play.

Cause Index needed the money?

augmental

I've been planning on buying this game on the Vita for a LONG time. I convinced my friend who is an admitted 'tit freak' to get the game on PS3 because he saw the Sorceress' screen shots and videos. I feel slightly conflicted because he is buying the game on PS3 for the tits, but I have someone to play with on PS3 on a regular basis now. Maybe it isn't so ridiculous that they made the tits flail around like that. It convinced a FIFA / Last of Us player to convert over to a new 2D brawler...albeit for the wrong reasons at first.

RoKKeR

Yes, it's awesome. It's my favorite Vanillaware game after Dragon's Crown. They handled it really really well.

Wow, you've never played a beat em up? How did that happen? (I just had the realization that I assume everyone is around my age or older, and went to arcades as a kid)

Not that I can recall, no. Entering my freshman year of college this year and I've really only gamed for 7-8 years so the genre is definitely foreign to me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Not that I can recall, no. Entering my freshman year of college this year and I've really only gamed for 7-8 years so the genre is definitely foreign to me.

Well, if you like Dragon's Crown's basic gameplay, there's an entire genre waiting for you when you're done. One of my favorites.

Still cannot decide which version to get. I'd get it on Vita for portable goodness but I might have someone to play couch co-op with me. I've skimmed the OP and the last few pages and I haven't found anything about one version being better than the other (slowdowns, bugs etc)

pariah164

I always played the pinball and Virtua Fighter games at the arcade. Also Virtua On. And Gauntlet Legends.

Moofers

My wife ordered my copy on Amazon like a week ago (maybe more) and my order is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Looks like some of you were just too late?

I like your avatar. Do you have the full pic?

Yup.

ijhSo5vxnic3s.jpg

More here: http://kdash31987.minus.com/moPuYQx98rY96

Caerith

Is it really worth playing? The words RTS and console don't really mix together in my head
A word of advice for you or anyone who is going to be LTTP or RTTP for GrimGrimoire: pause.

It is an RTS, but you can pause at any time and still move your cursor around and stuff. So, at the start of a battle, pause it and issue your commands, then let it play until you need to pause it again. Why stress over scrolling around while the clock ticks down if you can take all the time you need to issue perfect orders?

And, like others have said, it's really amazing.

That's unfortunate. Doesn't the Japanese version have dual audio for everything? I'd have just gotten that version if so, but I can't really read enough kanji at this point to be able to get the most out of the game.
Japanese version does have dual audio for everything, but text is all in Japanese. The reason for this is licensing costs-- it's pretty cheap to license the English voices for Japan, but prohibitively expensive to license the Japanese voices for NA. We could have gotten the Japanese voices, but the price of the game would have gone up considerably (and all this for something most people won't care about).

That's not to say that Atlus can't give us the Japanese voices as a DLC or something. If you're really passionate about it, start a petition to have Atlus kickstart it or something.

Shit no Release Date shipping from Amazon? I gotta get a pre-order in @ Gamestop stat!
Amazon does have release date shipping. Up until yesterday, it was "Want to receive this the day it comes out? Order now with two-day shipping." Now it's "Order within the next 63 hours with one-day shipping."

I just wish you'd get release date with their supersaver shipping, because there's really no reason to pay shipping if you could just drive to (ugh) Gamestop.

Amazon does have release date shipping. Up until yesterday, it was "Want to receive this the day it comes out? Order now with two-day shipping." Now it's "Order within the next 63 hours with one-day shipping."

I just wish you'd get release date with their supersaver shipping, because there's really no reason to pay shipping if you could just drive to (ugh) Gamestop.

You know, I had placed a pre-order a good while back for it with two-day free shipping from Amazon Prime, and it said that it'd be delivered on release day, but then I looked at it again and it suddenly said that I'd get it on Thursday, for some reason...so I switched to one-day shipping and now it says Tuesday again. Oh, well. I don't mind spending the extra $3.99 to get it on release day...especially since I saved about $20 on the regular price, anyway.

Caerith

You know, I had placed a pre-order a good while back for it with two-day free shipping from Amazon Prime, and it said that it'd be delivered on release day, but then I looked at it again and it suddenly said that I'd get it on Thursday, for some reason...so I switched to one-day shipping and now it says Tuesday again. Oh, well. I don't mind spending the extra $3.99 to get it on release day...especially since I saved about $20 on the regular price, anyway.
That's strange. Mine is on two-day and it says I'll get it Tuesday. I'll keep an eye on it though because who knows what they're doing.

Top Bottom