• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

RuGalz

Well, Newegg just canceled my preorder which I placed last year when they had $10 off coupon, assholes. Placed an order with Amazon instead but at least I know for sure I'll get the art book now.

The game looks well justified being $50 to me.

Before reviews came out, I thought it looked like an XBLA game that wouldnt have a lot of gameplay hours/depth. After reading mostly good reviews, its clear they packed a lot of variation and depth into the game so that a single play through can be 15-20 hours and if you want to play all the classes, you can get over 100 hours.

So this amount of gameplay depth (eg detailed skill tree with custom builds being possible per class) combined with beautiful art, means it looks like it justifies the price easily.

Roubjon

Well, Newegg just canceled my preorder which I placed last year when they had $10 off coupon, assholes. Placed an order with Amazon instead but at least I know for sure I'll get the art book now.

That really sucks. Now I'm worried they are going to to the same thing to me.

Skyzard

Banned
IGN says the game is virtually identical. Only minor difference is performance issues where the Vita struggles a bit when a lot is going on and a few online differences.

You know when they say struggles a bit when a lot is going on...anyone heard more clarification on that?

How often is that a lot is going on (enough for it to struggle). Every engagement?

Skyzard

Banned
Just framerate issues, slowdowns.

I get that, but how often?

Only on bosses...every time 4 enemies are on the screen... does it become frustrating/ affects playability or are the drops very minor...

would appreciate if anyone has more info on that, not going to get it on ps3 but I won't bother with it at all if playing it is frustrating...they say when a lot is going on, but from watching the videos...a lot is going on in most engagements

hate these reviewers that can't really spot performance trouble so report it vaguely. I assume it isn't that frustrating due to how it's being reported but you never know, sometimes they just have no clue or don't want to hurt feelings

Haha, I think you actually can, but don't quote me on that. While the parry window seems generous it's actually harder than it seems in actual combat. I usually use the parry i-frames to go for the 4-hit followed by brandish, which is delayable and has tonnes of i-frames.

Ah, speaking of brandish, how does it work? The wiki wasn't clear whether it's back-forward + mash attack, or you have to mash back and forward too. Also, does it keep going on and on as long as you keep mashing?

Anyone have any idea why this game DOESN'T have cross-play?

Honest question. It's the same content, right? I'm thinking what is it that 2 ps3s playing online are doing that a vita and a ps3 can't do? Doesn't the game just have to synch character inputs, basically?

It looks like they put a lot of effort into the game and I'm wondering what was difficult in enabling cross-play.

I'm guessing the different input methods between the PS3 and Vita for controlling Rannie caused problems.

Just beat it on normal with the Amazon solo. Steamrolled the last boss.
Amazon is really damn good with her crapload of i-frames. Also double evasion is godtier.

edit: There's only one part on normal that's impossible solo,
the ship section with the kraken tentacles
. I had to use at least 1 hireling to get past that.

Is a hireling an AI main character? And do they cost money or something?

Grisby

Keep checking this thread and just wishing it was Tuesday already.

8-4 had a talk about it on their most recent podcast too.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
When this goes up on PSN, is it most likely going to be early Tuesday or 'grace chen time' aka 11:30pm? If it's early enough I might just get the digital version.

Caerith

Yes, and it looks great. I'm still going to get it, just not right away. There were also a couple other games that I wanted more right now and I just bought them.
That's fair. We all have our own values on time and money. Personally, I have quite a few people's "best games of all times!!!" on my list of games I'll wait to be $5 on a Steam sale, but DraCro is a day 1 title for me.

I get that, but how often?

Only on bosses...every time 4 enemies are on the screen... does it become frustrating/ affects playability or are the drops very minor...

would appreciate if anyone has more info on that, not going to get it on ps3 but I won't bother with it at all if playing it is frustrating...they say when a lot is going on, but from watching the videos...a lot is going on in most engagements

hate these reviewers that can't really spot performance trouble so report it vaguely. I assume it isn't that frustrating due to how it's being reported but you never know, sometimes they just have no clue or don't want to hurt feelings
I don't have it, so I can't say for sure, but it's been talked about from time to time in this thread and in the "Impressions and Elf" thread so my understanding is that, at higher levels of play, when you have like 15 characters on screen (incl. monsters) and the Wizard and Sorceress are blasting the hell out of everything with screen-wide special effects and everything's just flying all over the place-- that it can drop noticeably. I've heard people say is "it dips" or "it slows down," but I haven't heard anyone say "Odin Sphere all over again."

Problem is, it's subjective. It might be fine for you, or, if you burst a blood vessel when a game drops below 120fps, Vita might not be for you.

Is a hireling an AI main character? And do they cost money or something?
The thief, Rannie? He's a main character, always with you. I haven't heard anyone say he costs money, so I'd assume not.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Starting up Muramasa on vita recently cemented my decision to snag this on vita. Damn the artwork looks great on this screen.

Skyzard

Banned
That's fair. We all have our own values on time and money. Personally, I have quite a few people's "best games of all times!!!" on my list of games I'll wait to be $5 on a Steam sale, but DraCro is a day 1 title for me.

I don't have it, so I can't say for sure, but it's been talked about from time to time in this thread and in the "Impressions and Elf" thread so my understanding is that, at higher levels of play, when you have like 15 characters on screen (incl. monsters) and the Wizard and Sorceress are blasting the hell out of everything with screen-wide special effects and everything's just flying all over the place-- that it can drop noticeably. I've heard people say is "it dips" or "it slows down," but I haven't heard anyone say "Odin Sphere all over again."

Problem is, it's subjective. It might be fine for you, or, if you burst a blood vessel when a game drops below 120fps, Vita might not be for you.

LOL, okay thanks, that's quite helpful. I assume it's somewhere inbetween but I suppose it should be okay with the gameplay. Might make it a bit hard to focus in the beginning but if it's at high level play mostly then I'd be okay.

Can't wait to get a 120fps monitor (and pc for it lol).

Before i get to play this, i just thought that this would be a decent beat em up(never read previews etc) and thought wtf when there were talk about boobs in this game. But i am so happy that i bought it. So deep, looks incredible, fun and has that retro feel while looks and controls modern. Awesome game. Best of this year after The Last of Us imo.

Jarsonot

I'm guessing the different input methods between the PS3 and Vita for controlling Rannie caused problems.

I'd think the systems would just send where you "clicked" Rannie to go, a chest or whatever. And who cares of you touched to send that "click" or whatever.

Shrug.

I'm really hoping the slowdown on the Vita is not as bad as Code of Princess on the 3DS. That was really bad.

It's NOTHING like that. That slowdown was awful. But when you get 4 characters on the screen with 5+ enemies, especially when magic is being cast, there is some slowdown.

Having played ~20 hours on the Vita version and ~4 hours on the PS3 version, I prefer the Vita version due to the touchscreen for opening doors/chests and rune combinations. PS3 version is good though.

Caerith

In the "if it were up to me" school of game design, I'd have PS3 + Vita crossplayable with characters tied to accounts (similar to how on LBP2 you need to log in each character locally) with the ideal play being 3 PS3 local + 1 character on the same couch on Vita to manage runes and Rannie. Maybe they'll make DraCro2 and go that route.

In the "for people who already have the game" discussion, how does the Sorceress's necromancy work? Can you only animate skeletons whenever you find bones that could be resurrected, or are there other opportunities?

When you're choosing NPCs to bring along, is it only the characters you've unlocked through resurrection and multiplayer, or can you bring your secondary characters as AI-controlled? That is, if I play through Normal as a Fighter, then I decide to play again as a Dwarf, can I have my Fighter be controlled by the AI?

Caelestis

I just got the same cancellation e-mail. I wonder if they're only doing it with $10 off orders as I had that, too. :/

RuGalz

What? Why? Did they give a reason?

Says unable to fulfill the order. I bet if I talk to them they are going to say "the preorder says Ignition Dragon's Crown" where as the final product is actually Atlus. Total BS. I'm never going to buy from Newegg again.

I just got the same cancellation e-mail. I wonder if they're only doing it with $10 off orders as I had that, too. :/

That's my guess :-/

hitmon

It's NOTHING like that. That slowdown was awful. But when you get 4 characters on the screen with 5+ enemies, especially when magic is being cast, there is some slowdown.

Having played ~20 hours on the Vita version and ~4 hours on the PS3 version, I prefer the Vita version due to the touchscreen for opening doors/chests and rune combinations. PS3 version is good though.

Thanks, glad it isn't as bad because I thought that was game breaking for Code of Princess. I guess I'll see myself when it comes.

In the "if it were up to me" school of game design, I'd have PS3 + Vita crossplayable with characters tied to accounts (similar to how on LBP2 you need to log in each character locally) with the ideal play being 3 PS3 local + 1 character on the same couch on Vita to manage runes and Rannie. Maybe they'll make DraCro2 and go that route.

In the "for people who already have the game" discussion, how does the Sorceress's necromancy work? Can you only animate skeletons whenever you find bones that could be resurrected, or are there other opportunities?

When you're choosing NPCs to bring along, is it only the characters you've unlocked through resurrection and multiplayer, or can you bring your secondary characters as AI-controlled? That is, if I play through Normal as a Fighter, then I decide to play again as a Dwarf, can I have my Fighter be controlled by the AI?

Interesting questions, would want answers as well. Also, I've noticed that the Wizard has the ability to turn chests into mimics (which I would guess destroys the contents of the chest?), but in videos I've also seen he can turn wooden barricades into treants. Any other such cool tricks he has on his sleeves?

Andrew.

Banned
Amazon Prime release day delivery set for the 6th and yet they haven't shipped it out yet. Pre ordered on th 31st. Weird.

I'm curious to an answer for this as well personally

Called my Gamestop to see if they were doing a midnight release for this and Xillia. Nope. Not enough pre-orders. All anyone wants to play anymore are shooters. :p

mjc

Called my Gamestop to see if they were doing a midnight release for this and Xillia. Nope. Not enough pre-orders. All anyone wants to play anymore are shooters. :p

Doesn't surprise me one bit. It has to be a AAA game to get a midnight. I don't think the last Pokemon even got a midnight at the GSs around me.

Top Bottom