• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Aselith

Back in 2012 when Ignition "had it".
Both versions were 30. They cancelled all orders but I just emailed a couple days ago asking if they'd honor it anyway and gave my original order number.

Yeah I got them to honor my order for both versions too. Shit is gonna be niiiiice.

Mononoke

Banned
Theyll ship out Monday with overnight delivery.

This.

That has been my experience with Amazon. Also, it's pretty rare that Amazon doesn't make the release date delivery date if it states you will get release day delivery. I've been using Prime for 3 years now, and can't recall a time where they ever missed it.

Also, I use One-day shipping all the time (yes, I'm that impatient), and they usually will ship something the day you place the order (if it's before the afternoon), and it will get to you the very next day. So you are right, they will ship these out on Monday and get them to people on Tuesday.

maomaoIYP

Ah, speaking of brandish, how does it work? The wiki wasn't clear whether it's back-forward + mash attack, or you have to mash back and forward too. Also, does it keep going on and on as long as you keep mashing?

It's not back forwards mash attack. Brandish can only be activated after your basic 4 hit melee combo by pressing forward + square. Level 1 gives you 1 spin, level 2 gives you 2 etc. Each spin can be slightly delayed from the previous, and you can change direction anytime before the next spin.

Is a hireling an AI main character? And do they cost money or something?
Yup. You pay money to make them available to you once and they're with you until you release them or fail to revive them during combat. They do not gain exp so you must keep getting new hirelings if you want them to keep up with your level. If I had to guess I'd say Vanillaware was very fond of Dragon's Dogma's pawn system.

In the "for people who already have the game" discussion, how does the Sorceress's necromancy work? Can you only animate skeletons whenever you find bones that could be resurrected, or are there other opportunities?

When you're choosing NPCs to bring along, is it only the characters you've unlocked through resurrection and multiplayer, or can you bring your secondary characters as AI-controlled? That is, if I play through Normal as a Fighter, then I decide to play again as a Dwarf, can I have my Fighter be controlled by the AI?
Necromancy works anytime you find any bones. Also level 1 necromancy gives you 1 skeleton at 50% of your level, level 2 gives 2 skeletons at 60% etc. So you have to decide whether to bring them back to be revived as a hireling or just use them as skeletons. I play with zero hirelings, so I just use them right away. Hirelings are common to your pool of characters, (i.e. if you've unlocked a lvl 35 hireling with your fighter, it will be available even to your lvl 2 dwarf) but you cannot choose your own characters as hirelings. This is because hirelings die can permanently during combat.

JokerAceX

A buddy of mine over at the gamestop near my house let me see the artbook they got in shipment last week, have to say i'm kinda disappointed the art is nice but the book is very thin it's maybe 100(?) pages.

pariah164

A buddy of mine over at the gamestop near my house let me see the artbook they got in shipment last week, have to say i'm kinda disappointed the art is nice but the book is very thin it's maybe 100(?) pages.
Or you could just not complain and be glad we're getting a pre-order bonus at all.

Seriously, why the disappointment? I just don't get it.

Deitus

It's 64 pages. It's not massive, but that's decent sized for a preorder bonus. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a longer artbook eventually, but that one won't be free.

Ketch

RIP toilet
I love all those things, but yea.... it's funny because it's true.

I can't decide if I want to play Amazon or Elf first... They both look fun to play, but I'm worried that Elf wont be as good solo and I'm kind of turned off by the muscle butt.

Velcro Fly

Can't decide which of the melee classes to try first. I always go for the obvious meathead melee first in just about every game and then branch out from there. The dwarf may be too awesome looking to possibly ignore though.

Only problem is his beard isn't going to be the right color to name him Brann :(

maomaoIYP

I love all those things, but yea.... it's funny because it's true.

I can't decide if I want to play Amazon or Elf first... They both look fun to play, but I'm worried that Elf wont be as good solo and I'm kind of turned off by the muscle butt.

I'll be honest, Elf is by far the hardest character.

Fou-Lu

Going to be playing couch co-op with three buddies, should be a lot of fun. I know one of them is going Dwarf and I find it likely my brother goes Fighter. The third friend... well Amazon or Sorceress probably, do I need to explain better? I think not.

As for me, I can't decide between the wizard and the elf, they both look pretty fun, but I'm worried the wizard will make it hard for anyone to figure out what they are doing with his AOEs, and the elf looks like she isn't quite as flashy as I would like.

JokerAceX

Or you could just not complain and be glad we're getting a pre-order bonus at all.

Seriously, why the disappointment? I just don't get it.

honestly if we were gonna get a pre-order bonus i'd rather it be something in game than the artbook at least imo.

maomaoIYP

On the same note, who are the easiest?

Fighter or Amazon. Both can block and are very easy to do air combos. Dwarf is just slightly behind because he can't block and has no anti air attack (launcher) and can't really do air combos. He does have a skill that increases defense though.

Sorceress and Wizard play identically to each other, slow in terms of dps, but have good AOE attacks and can safely engage from range as much as you like since you can regenerate mana.

Elf has very poor melee damage output until you boost one of her skills. Her ground and air melee attacks are a lot harder to combo because they involve moves that float the enemy or smack them downwards. The bow attacks have interesting properties but is slow in general (compared to Sorc or Wizard's range attacks). Also since your ammo is no regenerating you can't safely engage from far non-stop, you'll have to engage in melee distance to recover ammo, which means putting yourself in a bad spot with the weak melee attacks. The only strategy that has worked so far for me with Elf (I couldn't even beat the 3rd stage for the longest time), was to engage with melee to attract the enemies together, quickly use the evasion move to back off then fire a charged shot piercing through all of them.

LeviGratton

Neo Member
Am I the only one that doesn't like the cottage cheese Amazon?

The Sorceress is bad, but it's like...funny bad, so I can deal with it. The Amazon feels like someone duct taped two massive wet bags of meat to her ass.

The dudes are in the same boat, but if it's good in God of War....?

Marvelous

Pretty sure I've heard that the Amazon is the hardest character to master? Maybe it depends if you're gonna play her in "Danger mode" or not?

Caelestis

I've contacted newegg about cancellation and they replied that it was canceled because the order was placed over a year ago and they do this to all orders like that. They said I could re-order it again and they'd apply the $10 off promotion if I contact them... So I'll try that.

maomaoIYP

Pretty sure I've heard that the Amazon is the hardest character to master? Maybe it depends if you're gonna play her in "Danger mode" or not?

Nah, Amazon is really quite easy. Her berserk mode is incredible, gives ridiculous dps. Your berserk status can stack as you smack things, at the final level (4 stack iirc) you can do all 4 hits of your combo under 1 second.

jdl

Banned
Fighter or Amazon. Both can block and are very easy to do air combos. Dwarf is just slightly behind because he can't block and has no anti air attack (launcher) and can't really do air combos. He does have a skill that increases defense though.

Sorceress and Wizard play identically to each other, slow in terms of dps, but have good AOE attacks and can safely engage from range as much as you like since you can regenerate mana.

Elf has very poor melee damage output until you boost one of her skills. Her ground and air melee attacks are a lot harder to combo because they involve moves that float the enemy or smack them downwards. The bow attacks have interesting properties but is slow in general (compared to Sorc or Wizard's range attacks). Also since your ammo is no regenerating you can't safely engage from far non-stop, you'll have to engage in melee distance to recover ammo, which means putting yourself in a bad spot with the weak melee attacks. The only strategy that has worked so far for me with Elf (I couldn't even beat the 3rd stage for the longest time), was to engage with melee to attract the enemies together, quickly use the evasion move to back off then fire a charged shot piercing through all of them.

thanks for the info. sounds like an effective co-op combo would be melee + ranged magic support.

Marvelous

Nah, Amazon is really quite easy. Her berserk mode is incredible, gives ridiculous dps. Your berserk status can stack as you smack things, at the final level (4 stack iirc) you can do all 4 hits of your combo under 1 second.

Hmm, how long can she stay in berserk mode without attacking anything? And doesn't she also get stronger if her health is low?
Just wanting to make sure, haha.

edukate

For those with the game playing as an elf class- what determines the elemental magic I use? I'm not really feeling this whirlwind shit...

Psn: luckydoobage

Are there difficulty settings?

I'm guessing so with everyone saying "playing on normal etc"

With 4 of us who are all experienced with vidya games should we just pick the hardest setting or does normal scale at all and that'll be fine?

edukate

Are there difficulty settings?

I'm guessing so with everyone saying "playing on normal etc"

With 4 of us who are all experienced with vidya games should we just pick the hardest setting or does normal scale at all and that'll be fine?

Normal scales and you unlock the higher difficulties

Grisby

Only frustration with elf IMO is scrambling to pick up arrows when you start unloadin'em at the higher lvls
Cool, cool.

Was never much of an archer class character but Dragons Dogma turned me around on it. I think from now until the end of time my first run in any RPG will be with a bow user (provided one is available of course).

Yup. You pay money to make them available to you once and they're with you until you release them or fail to revive them during combat. They do not gain exp so you must keep getting new hirelings if you want them to keep up with your level. If I had to guess I'd say Vanillaware was very fond of Dragon's Dogma's pawn system.

Cool, thanks dude.

NeededSleep

My preorder for Dragon's Crown was kindly canceled for no reason from Newegg.com

:( i had the $10 off promo from last year when i preordered it too.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to fill the Pre-Order listed below, and it has now been cancelled by our system. Here are the details for your reference:
Pre Sales Order Date:
8/3/2012
Item List:

1 x ($39.99) IGNITION DRAGON'S CROWN PSVITA $39.99
1 x ($-10.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE $-10.00

We're sorry we've been unable to complete your order at this time, and hope you will give us another chance to serve your shopping needs in the near future.

This happen to anyone else? This is the first time ive ever had any issues with newegg.
I quickly preordered through amazon at full price. i hope i still get the art book :(

No Love

Banned
Have no idea what characters to play, going to co-op most of the time on PS3 but also have my Vita version for on the go play. Dwarf looks cool, elf too, and sorceress... well, you know why that's appealing. :eek:

$h@d0w

The game's recommendations:

Fighter - all players
Sorceress - expert players
Wizard - expert players
Amazon - normal players
Elf - expert players
Dwarf - normal players

kubricks

I have two questions;
1) what affect bare fist damage? I want to play an amazon base on martial art(?)
2) I got a team from resurrecting the bones I found, but if I want to go solo in dungeon again what do I do to remove them from my party?

ToyBroker

Banned
So I've been leaning towards Dwarf...but I really don't wanna have to use grabs and body slams...and bombs sound kinda cornballish :/

jwk94

When this goes up on PSN, is it most likely going to be early Tuesday or 'grace chen time' aka 11:30pm? If it's early enough I might just get the digital version.

Probably Tuesday afternoon. The last few updates have been between 1pm and 5pm est

Yeah, 64pg for a preorder artbook is pretty good. Real artbooks from Japan are so expensive!

Would love to have a VanillaWare art collection in a book with sketches and drawings by George Kamitani! It'd be like $275 but I'd get it in a heartbeat!

Marvelous

The game's recommendations:

Fighter - all players
Sorceress - expert players
Wizard - expert players
Amazon - normal players
Elf - expert players
Dwarf - normal players

I see, I see. :eek:
Wonder if the Mages and Elf are in the expert category because of the recharging mana mechanic and the limited amount of arrows and daggers for the Elf.

edukate

I have two questions;
1) what affect bare fist damage? I want to play an amazon base on martial art(?)
2) I got a team from resurrecting the bones I found, but if I want to go solo in dungeon again what do I do to remove them from my party?

Not sure of the first- but for the second question unjoin/ dismiss them when in the tavern

How does EXP gain work in local multi? I.e: Do the characters my friends play get their progress saved? or are they just "guest" characters and their progress gets wiped out when the session ends (which would majorly suck btw)?

deim0s

I have two questions;

STR stat? Hover over the attributes for info.

Go back to the tavern and set the slots so no one will join.

How does EXP gain work in local multi? I.e: Do the characters my friends play get their progress saved? or are they just "guest" characters and their progress gets wiped out when the session ends (which would majorly suck btw)?

The level ups your friends make on the characters are saved to your profile iirc, though for the Vita since everyone has their own handheld the character's level ups go to that player's file.

maomaoIYP

Hmm, how long can she stay in berserk mode without attacking anything? And doesn't she also get stronger if her health is low?
Just wanting to make sure, haha.
It doesn't say, but I estimate it to be about 10 seconds. She does get stronger if her health is low, it's a skill that she can level up. But frankly speaking I much prefer to making full use of her generous i-frames.

For those with the game playing as an elf class- what determines the elemental magic I use? I'm not really feeling this whirlwind shit...

Psn: luckydoobage
With Elemental Lore the default element is wind. If she's standing near a torch you can see a red orb circling her, that changes the element to fire and gives fireballs. Standing in water gives a light blue orb and gives you a whirlpool. I don't know if there's more elements though.

I have two questions;

1) Probably her STR stat, but without her polearm she can't block or use her best skills.

Top Bottom