• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Can't wait for it to arrive.

As for names, no real theme here:

Amazon - Camilla
Sorceress - Misty T.
Fighter - Bruticus
Dwarf - Gillius
Wizard - Ghaleon
Elf - Artemis

Nursezero

So hyped as well, getting two vita copies so wife and I can play and picking up PS3 to play with friend online. Tuesday gonna be great!

Qvoth

so... anybody bored with the game yet?
keep seeing people say how repetitive this game is and all... just kinda concerned

$h@d0w

keep seeing people say how repetitive this game is and all... just kinda concerned

7.5 hours in and the level of detail is still surprising me. I keep noticing little touches, like when you kill a wizard, the sound of his staff hitting the floor or when you slice a killer fish in half it looks like sashimi or if you smash up a skeleton and leave it headless, it just flails aimlessly with it's weapon.
Other stuff later in the game keeps you on your toes: seeing Rannie accidentally trip a trap suddenly changes your expectations because in the past you thought he could unlock anything.

I'm also finding the gameplay quite challenging,
fuck the Gazer

Caerith

I love all those things, but yea.... it's funny because it's true.

I can't decide if I want to play Amazon or Elf first... They both look fun to play, but I'm worried that Elf wont be as good solo and I'm kind of turned off by the muscle butt.
With the way the Elf moves, I bet her butt is way more muscle-y than the Amazon's. It's probably why she dresses so concealingly. You're better off playing a Fighter if you want to avoid muscle-butts.

My preorder for Dragon's Crown was kindly canceled for no reason from Newegg.com

<snip>

This happen to anyone else? This is the first time ive ever had any issues with newegg.
I quickly preordered through amazon at full price. i hope i still get the art book :(
Don't mean to be facetious, but literally a handful of posts above yours:

I've contacted newegg about cancellation and they replied that it was canceled because the order was placed over a year ago and they do this to all orders like that. They said I could re-order it again and they'd apply the $10 off promotion if I contact them... So I'll try that.
I suggest anyone having NewEgg issues follow Caelestis's advice.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

As for names, no real theme here:

Amazon - Camilla
Sorceress - Misty T.
Fighter - Bruticus
Dwarf - Gillius
Wizard - Ghaleon
Elf - Artemis
Amazon - Farnese
Sorceress - Schierke
Fighter - Guts
Dwarf - Isidro
Wizard - Serpico
Elf - Casca

$h@d0w

But I don't want to suck so badly I get frustrated and quit the game.

I like how they handled the challenge, it's a bit more forgiving than other games. If you mess up and have no potions or life left, you can exit the dungeon and you retain all loot you've gathered. You can then restock and go back in. You can use this exit if you're going after optional quest objectives in areas you've already beaten.

edukate

I like how they handled the challenge, it's a bit more forgiving than other games. If you mess up and have no potions or life left, you can exit the dungeon and you retain all loot you've gathered. You can then restock and go back in. You can use this exit if you're going after optional quest objectives in areas you've already beaten.

Wait... How can I exit a dungeon once I'm in it?!

maomaoIYP

Not bored yet, but yes it is repetitive. If you're talking about pure variety of gameplay, Shadow over Mystara is a much better game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dunno if this was brought up but the PS3/Vita trophy lists are shared.

Interesting questions, would want answers as well. Also, I've noticed that the Wizard has the ability to turn chests into mimics (which I would guess destroys the contents of the chest?), but in videos I've also seen he can turn wooden barricades into treants. Any other such cool tricks he has on his sleeves?
I haven't seen any mimics, but he can turn any wooden object into a treant (or wood golem, as the game calls it) by hitting it with a physical attack. He's only allowed to have one golem, but as you upgrade that skill you can keep transforming more wood to upgrade it. Personally I find the golem pretty useless, as it's slow, dies easily, and is FAR less aggressive than the sorceress' skeletons (and she's able to summon multiples!)

EDIT: Creating a golem doesn't destroy its contents, it automatically pops out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not bored yet, but yes it is repetitive. If you're talking about pure variety of gameplay, Shadow over Mystara is a much better game.

I don't think it's repetitive compared to Muramasa and probably Odin Sphere.

It's not back forwards mash attack. Brandish can only be activated after your basic 4 hit melee combo by pressing forward + square. Level 1 gives you 1 spin, level 2 gives you 2 etc. Each spin can be slightly delayed from the previous, and you can change direction anytime before the next spin.

Ah, I see, thanks a lot!

Necromancy works anytime you find any bones. Also level 1 necromancy gives you 1 skeleton at 50% of your level, level 2 gives 2 skeletons at 60% etc. So you have to decide whether to bring them back to be revived as a hireling or just use them as skeletons. I play with zero hirelings, so I just use them right away. Hirelings are common to your pool of characters, (i.e. if you've unlocked a lvl 35 hireling with your fighter, it will be available even to your lvl 2 dwarf) but you cannot choose your own characters as hirelings. This is because hirelings die can permanently during combat.

Again, thanks for the info. I didn't have a clue you could summon more than one skeleton per, er, skeleton on the ground, that's cool!

A buddy of mine over at the gamestop near my house let me see the artbook they got in shipment last week, have to say i'm kinda disappointed the art is nice but the book is very thin it's maybe 100(?) pages.

Um, it's a preorder bonus. It's 64 pages, which I'd say is quite generous for an extra at no cost. If you've been buying "real" artbooks in the past, you'll know that most can go for 30-60$ or more ON THEIR OWN.

Does the game have multiple costumes or is it just palette swap?

Palette swaps. It's a 2d game; costumes would mean drawing every single animation from scratch; for that kind of effort I'd rather they just made a new character.

I'll be honest, Elf is by far the hardest character.

That's awesome to hear, as she'll probably be my first character and I was fearing the game would be too easy. :)

Look how silly I am.

I just downloaded Chronicles of Mystara and picked apart so many similarities between those games and what I know of Dragon's Crown, that it finally dawned on me that George Kamitani was involved in both.

lol. I am hyped beyond belief once again.

No kidding! There are TONS of nods from Dragon's Crown to Mystara. Just a few:
- The mine/fire geiser traps in Mystara are ported straight over to DC (a hole with a surrounding sloped ring of metal).
- Lots of stock D&D monsters, like the beholder, owlbears, hellhounds, scorpions, lizardmen, chimera, harpy, red dragon, etc.
- A lot of spells are ported straight over (meteor swarm, polymorph, flesh to stone, and so on).
- Blocking (rare for a BEU) and counterattacks.
- Ring menus and consumables like daggers.
- Some enemies impervious to physical attacks, only vulnerable to magic.

I know there's lots more that I'm forgetting.

maomaoIYP

I never played Murasama but with regards to Odin Sphere you couldn't be more correct. I'm not actually complaining though, 6 characters that you can swap at any time is pretty sweet and really hits the spot for a 2D brawler.
Again, thanks for the info. I didn't have a clue you could summon more than one skeleton per, er, skeleton on the ground, that's cool!
Oh no it's still one skeleton per bone pile, just that you can summon another one from the next bone pile without replacing the first.

Caerith

I never played Murasama but with regards to Odin Sphere you couldn't be more correct. I'm not actually complaining though, 6 characters that you can swap at any time is pretty sweet and really hits the spot for a 2D brawler.

Oh no it's still one skeleton per bone pile, just that you can summon another one from the next bone pile without replacing the first.
How common are bone piles? I'd hate to invest in that skill if there are rarely enough bones to take advantage of the maxed skill.

maomaoIYP

How common are bone piles? I'd hate to invest in that skill if there are rarely enough bones to take advantage of the maxed skill.

There's plenty of them. I don't find the skeletons particularly useful unless you've really put some points into the skill. They die pretty quickly but can help attract some attention while I recharge mana etc.

There's plenty of them. I don't find the skeletons particularly useful unless you've really put some points into the skill. They die pretty quickly but can help attract some attention while I recharge mana etc.

Unfortunate, that's how they are in pretty much any game that allows you to raise skeleton warriors. Imagine being able to raise an army of skeletons that could tank? That would be amazing.

Caerith

How do they scale with lots of points in the skill? Still just cannon fodder, or viably dangerous?

Ah, that makes sense. I see how it would be overpowered otherwise.
You "lose" the ability to resurrect the bones as an AI companion outside the dungeon, right? I'm guessing at some point in the game you have way more resurrected companions that you know what to do with anyway. Can you change their equipment? Is there a slot limit on companions you can have "on stanby" so to speak?

maomaoIYP

How do they scale with lots of points in the skill? Still just cannon fodder, or viably dangerous?
Mine's at level 3.
Level 1 gets you up to 1 skeleton at 50% of your level
Lvl 2 gets you up to 2 skeles at 60%
Lvl 3 gets you up to 2 skeles at 70%
The skill maxes at level 5.
They're really just cannon fodder. Better than nothing if you're playing solo, but really useless if you're always playing with hirelings or friends.
Ah, that makes sense. I see how it would be overpowered otherwise.
You "lose" the ability to resurrect the bones as an AI companion outside the dungeon, right? I'm guessing at some point in the game you have way more resurrected companions that you know what to do with anyway. Can you change their equipment? Is there a slot limit on companions you can have "on stanby" so to speak?
My hirelings do resurrect their own bones, so I'm not really sure what happens if I have 4 sorcs in my party all have 4 skeletons each.
You can't change any equipment of anyone except your own character, and you can only have 30 dudes on standby at the tavern.

RyoonZ

Banned
Just unlocked online and it's so good. It's mostly Japanese player at the moment. Definitely have to play online because there are a lot of bonuses.

Removed. How was it?
Pretty bad, imo.
They showed some game footage and basically said that if you like 2d side scrolling games, you'll probably like Dragon's Crown. They said it reminded them of Monty Python/Terry Gilliam humor. They pointed out the drunk fairy and noted there were missed opportunities for jokes.

That's about all they said.

RuGalz

For those who have your preorder canceled from Newegg, I contacted their support and they are willing to give me the original $10 discount. (You have to make another order and then submit the order number to the customer support so they can override it.) So contact the support first to get the process started if you like.

Edit: beaten

Well thank God for small favors. I'm interested in this game, but Vanillaware make some of the most repetitive video games I've ever experienced. Putting them in an arcade beat'em'up seems like they're just asking for trouble, because you know they're gonna make you play through the same areas again and again....

Just beat the game on Normal with two other people. The amount of coordination we were using for the last two bosses we faced
Ancient Dragon and Red Dragon.
was fun, particularly how we planned to deal with the last boss' attacks.

Top Bottom