• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

$h@d0w

How easy is it to track the action in this game? Every clip I see is impossible to follow, especially with 4 players and some AI helpers all crowded in a bunch.

It's tough and there's definately a learning curve in tracking everything.

I started off soloing and it helped me a lot in understanding what my character could do and what he could add in certain situations. I recommend this approach (turning off all AI helpers) instead of just jumping in.

I can see why online is something you unlock, newbies would be totally annoying to play with after you get better at the game.

Uthred

Whats the story with the Sorceress card art showing a crone? Do we see her as a crone or referred to as actually being a crone in game? Do we see the card itself in game?

$h@d0w

Whats the story with the Sorceress card art showing a crone? Do we see her as a crone or referred to as actually being a crone in game? Do we see the card itself in game?

The card is shown on the skills screen. I haven't seen her in that form anywhere else, but she's not my main, maybe someone else knows.

Awesome OT!

So excited for this game. #TeamVita. My 4 hour a day commute will be glorious. Gonna tether to my iPhone and get in some online co-op via LTE.

maomaoIYP

Ah I see, thanks. So having a sorceress + wizard would be kind of nice I guess to give you time to cast those spells but I don't imagine seeing that party too much with the people I'll be playing with.

I should learn that rune, then! Sounds like you'd have to be pretty smart about spell usage if you're doing those repeated dungeon runs with people online if they don't replenish until you're back in town.

A sorceress + wizard combo is alright, but frankly speaking not really required. You really have to put in quite a bit of points into the sorceress' status spells for them to be really worth anything. For example the first level of petrification gives.....5s of stone time.
Also the bad thing about a sorceress + wizard combo is that they both have a very similar moveset, they each have the same three kinds of elemental staffs with the almost identical moves.
For chained-dungeon runs I pack up to three sets of gear, so that I can swap them mid dungeon when one set runs out of potions/spells etc.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think it's just art and not representative of who the Sorceress really is. Would've been a cool easter egg if she actually were a wretched crone though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's tough and there's definately a learning curve in tracking everything.

I started off soloing and it helped me a lot in understanding what my character could do and what he could add in certain situations. I recommend this approach (turning off all AI helpers) instead of just jumping in.

I can see why online is something you unlock, newbies would be totally annoying to play with after you get better at the game.

Yea, I really wish there was a video of a level play through done solo to better grasp the action and antics. To identify the combos and abilities used to take down the monsters effectively. I'm really enjoying Muramasa currently on Vita and I adore the effort put into the boss fights and pattern recognition for exploits. I read that much of that is retained in Dragon's Crown, but it's impossible to make out in footage.

I don't know where you got the 'limit themselves' bit from, but if someone is interested in Japanese games, they'd be ill advised to make the PC their primary platform.

You're not providing any argument at all why that should be the case, though. Also, allow me to underline the terms you yourself (and indeed, everyone up to this point) have used in this part, to highlight how any such argument can only be made if you move the goalposts, as happens below.

Much in the same way that gaming on a handheld would be ridiculous if they're interested in big games from NA/EU studios. Take Vanillaware for instance: they've never released a game on PC. So if you're crazy about Japanese games and you're primarily (or solely) a PC gamer, I hope you'll be satisfied with Falcom games from XSEED and maybe a dozen other standouts.

Indeed that would make no sense, good thing then that's not what anyone in the thread is talking about. The terms were "interested", not "crazy about" Japanese games, and "preferentially" PC gamer, not "solely". You will notice your strawman argument falls apart immediately.

Uthred

I think it's just art and not representative of who the Sorceress really is. Would've been a cool easter egg if she actually were a wretched crone though.

Yeah I was thinking the same, it would be an interesting little "twist" that she choose to look like that

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This looks like a potential cleric character for a sequel or dlc to me :D
0s8peHk.jpg

LiK

Good luck lol... They are terrible! When ever Amazon uses them, I would pray to god they don't lose my shit or leave my package unattended in front of my apartment.

Never had anything lost by them. The only thing bad about them is they sometimes deliver very late in the day and don't ring the doorbell.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You're not providing any argument at all why that should be the case, though. Also, allow me to underline the terms you yourself (and indeed, everyone up to this point) have used in this part, to highlight how any such argument can only be made if you move the goalposts, as happens below.

Indeed that would make no sense, good thing then that's not what anyone in the thread is talking about. The terms were "interested", not "crazy about" Japanese games, and "preferentially" PC gamer, not "solely". You will notice your strawman argument falls apart immediately.
Ho ho! I can see you have a grasp of logic, but it's important to also apply what's called 'the principle of charity' when you're assessing an argument. You can look it up, and then just mentally rewrite the first quote into the second, where it's still valid. A little hyperbole doesn't change an argument completely, especially when the intention is very clear (seeing as it was stated twice before).

Ho ho! I can see you have a grasp of logic, but it's important to also apply what's called 'the principle of charity' when you're assessing an argument. You can look it up, and then just mentally rewrite the first quote into the second, where it's still valid. A little hyperbole doesn't change an argument completely, especially when the intention is very clear (seeing as it was stated twice before).

The intention IS clear, you're making a strawman out of something nobody said, so that you could make an argument that can't be made out of the original parameters. Principle of charity doesn't apply here at all, particularly when the intention is not just transparent, it's also a requirement for your argument to stand. I use "argument" loosely because it amounted to "doing this would be ridiculous, because it would not make sense". Which, granted, is good enough when you fabricate ridiculous statements that nobody said in the first place. :)

Metadiscussion aside, you've still failed to argument what exactly is the problem with priorizing PC if one has all the platforms available to them to play any Japanese game at their leisure, especially when a larger and larger percentage of Japanese games are ported to the PC as well anyway. Can you stick to that and give me any reason at all?

Can someone help me out on this. Parrying with the amazon. Is that guarding before enemy attacks, or clashing enemies during attacks? It's not super clear.

codhand

As a nun character, the sexuality contrasts the chastity belt.

Plus the dog and the treasure, there's a ton of visual information being conveyed in just a single image to define that character.

what about the sexuality of the the other women characters which contrasts.... absolutely nothing

i bought this game back in feb 2012, as i mentioned earlier but im not gonna excuse a lot of this just because...art.

what about the sexuality of the the other women characters which contrasts.... absolutely nothing

i bought this game back in feb 2012, as i mentioned earlier but im not gonna excuse a lot of this just because...art.
That's a more complicated discussion that has locked at least two, possibly three threads.

I know it's maybe my fault for continuing discussing the Nun but hopefully this thread steers clear of going too far down that rabbit hole.

Maybe a very brave soul with a tolerance for tired arguments will make a "Art of Dragon's Crown [OT]" after the tomorrow.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This looks like a potential cleric character for a sequel or dlc to me :D

You just wanted to post the pic again... ha. At any rate, she does look to be a nice homage to the D&D Cleric character. I'd love to see someone like her, and maybe an agile Male character made into DLC.

The fact that Muramasa Vita presented DLC of new characters, makes me think that's something that COULD happen for DC... it would be a good way to capitalize on it's sales success, so far.

why does this person having to be laying spread eagle?

Because Kamitani & Co. like a little bit of "wink wink, nudge nudge" cheesecake within their art. But I'd also say it's because she does a great job fitting full-frame into the panel like that, and that's ALSO an aspect of these "exploding from the screen" splash arts, much like the victory screens in Darkstalkers games.

felicia.gif
zabel.gif

Grisby

Whatever time GameStop opens tommorow is when I'll have the game.

Woo! Always feels like you've waited a long time for the games you really want to play.

Guitarmy

Banned
Looks like the Vita version may be in short supply for those who don't pre-order since i just went and pre-ordered a copy of the Vita version at the Gamestop near my place and they only had 1 copy. Now, I'm not sure if no one else pre-ordered Vita or if they just 1 for non pre-orders (that is now my copy). I wonder if it will be like it was with Fire Emblem and not being able to get a physical copy for a while.

Looks like the Vita version may be in short supply for those who don't pre-order since i just went and pre-ordered a copy of the Vita version at the Gamestop near my place and they only had 1 copy. Now, I'm not sure if no one else pre-ordered Vita or if they just 1 for non pre-orders (that is now my copy). I wonder if it will be like it was with Fire Emblem and not being able to get a physical copy for a while.
My local gamestop is like that for all niche releases, doesn't surprise me that a vita release makes that even smaller.

Congrats on getting your hands on that artbook ahead of the rest of us!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
But there's nothing stopping you from pretending that's her official backstory, riiiiight?
I'll probably end up doing that. ;-)

I don't think it's mentioned in the game, but I like how the Witcher series takes a similar approach. Magic taints those it touches, so most of the mages are actually crippled in some way and deformed early on. They're taught to use magic to alter their bone structure and features. Thought that was neat.

The intention IS clear, you're making a strawman out of something nobody said, so that you could make an argument that can't be made out of the original parameters. Principle of charity doesn't apply here at all, particularly when the intention is not just transparent, it's also a requirement for your argument to stand. I use "argument" loosely because it amounted to "doing this would be ridiculous, because it would not make sense". Which, granted, is good enough when you fabricate ridiculous statements that nobody said in the first place. :)

Metadiscussion aside, you've still failed to argument what exactly is the problem with priorizing PC if one has all the platforms available to them to play any Japanese game at their leisure, especially when a larger and larger percentage of Japanese games are ported to the PC as well anyway. Can you stick to that and give me any reason at all?
I think we need to clarify something here, because I honestly don't remember making reference to something as complicated as 'priorizing PC if one has all the platforms available to them to play any Japanese game at their leisure'. We need to go back to "Why not? I know its a Japanese dev but PC folks would like to give them money." Now, when I read PC folk, I read people who are primarily, or solely PC gamers (in this case probably solely, since it doesn't seem like they'd want to give them money otherwise). I think that's a fair interpretation (let me know if it's a strawman!), which leads to "I have no idea why anyone interested in Japanese games would make PC their primary platform." I probably should've been specific and added 'to consume Japanese games', and maybe you would've been okay with that, but it's too late. Keeping that in mind though I'll reframe and say it's perfectly fine to prioritize the PC platform... if you're not interested in playing very many Japanese games on it. Like I mentioned earlier, you'll have a couple Falcom games, and a dozen action games like Dark Souls and DmC. So don't port beg, because if you're interested in Japanese games you should already have a console to play them on. That sound reasonable?

Oh, and it's more like "doing this would be ridiculous, because it isn't in their best interest due to x." Again, principle of charity. Don't reduce it to an 'a because a' argument. Don't sit around accusing people of fallacious arguments when the premises are reasonable (though I guess I recognised that I was missing a premise). You have to interpret your opponent's argument in the best possible light, which is why I didn't (until now I guess) spend much time on the 'limiting' bit you put into my mouth earlier, didn't go over the irrelevant DSfix thing, didn't go over the ad hominems. generalizations to 'everyone' and 'the thread', etc.

Sgblues

Yeah the gamestop I go to isn't doing a midnight release either(they only do so for fps games....)

Its cool though, just gonna enjoy a nice stroll to the mall tomorrow and pick it up.

Damn I really want to get this but my vita backlog is starting to get long, I guess ill get this when the euro peeps do since ill have people around my level.

Top Bottom