• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I love the Sorceress's dialogue if you revive one of her bones.
"Yay, I'm not dead!"

Lol, the characters say some really funny stuff if you revive their bones at the temple

jamsy

Started the game and did a couple quests.....but I'm really not enjoying playing as the Elf. The whole arrow limit and arrows not hitting enemies half the time thing is turning me off big time...

Think I'm gonna try one of the mages instead.

Still haven't bought the game yet because I can't make up my goddamn mind about which version to get.

Given the chance between home and portable console I usually pick portable, but in this case I would really want to see some Vanillaware goodness in 1080p.

Couch co-op would be nice too (although I would not have many occasions to do it), as well as more stable framerate.

I'm completely torn.

I can understand Atlus not wanting to go Cross-Buy, but they should at least do a dual platform bundle.

Buy the one you'll play the most first then save up and get the other later.

Grisby

Think I'm on the 5th stage or so. When do you unlock the cooking mini-game?

Also the narrator repeating himself every time you come out of a shop area is starting to drive me insane. Think ill try switching up the voice.

go onto the PS store, and search for Dragons Crown. There will be a voice pack free DLC.

you can also choose 'downloadable content' from the game's main menu and it'll shoot you straight there. otherwise you have to search for it and I almost grabbed the vita voice pack when I wanted ps3 since both results come up

OSHAN

Think I'm on the 5th stage or so. When do you unlock the cooking mini-game?

Also the narrator repeating himself every time you come out of a shop area is starting to drive me insane. Think ill try switching up the voice.

After the stables. You can stay in the dungeons instead of returning to town. Make sure you have multiple bags of equipment, though.

But... that's the point, I don't know which one I would play the most!

If you think you'll play either a lot, then get the PS3 version. I love playing it on the vita, but the art is so damn good, seeing it on the big screen is the best way to appreciate it. Personally, the vita is just a way for me to keep playing while I'm at work.

Bowler

Dumb question, but how do you unlock the first side quest? Rannie will unlock the harbor? In ancient ruins. I've gone thru it twice and I'm unsure how you get it to unlock?

Volcynika

Dumb question, but how do you unlock the first side quest? Rannie will unlock the harbor? In ancient ruins. I've gone thru it twice and I'm unsure how you get it to unlock?

In the early room with snakes or something (Has a column/pedastal on each side) there should be a door in the middle of the background. Unlock that and go in there.

mao2

In the section where there snakes, there is a door in the background which can unlocked. Move the pointer with your right analog stick to the door and press L1 button. Rannie will unlock it. After that enter and kill the orcs at the harbor.

dropbear

Banned
Alright, GAF, you've convinced me to buy this game.

Problem is, I can't decide between Vita and PS3 - anyone care to push me in one direction or the other?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

Problem is, I can't decide between Vita and PS3 - anyone care to push me in one direction or the other?

PS3
- Constant framerate
- HD
- Right analogue stick to move cursor

Vita
- Touch screen
- OLED
- Frame rate tends to dip in heavy situations

antibolo

Banned

Haha, welcome to the "can't decide which version to get" club! Enjoy the psychological torture!

antitrop

Absolutely loving this game, played it about 3 hours last night on my Vita. Got an Elf up to 9 and Sorceress to 6. Game is obviously gorgeous as anyone would expect on the OLED, but the frame rate is a mess. It's completely obvious from the first level that the Vita hardware is not up to snuff at trying to keep a steady frame rate in this game, it's a disaster.

Anyone who had has any concerns about this problem should just straight up buy the PS3 version. It's bothering me, greatly, although I knew there would be framerate problems going in. I'm still glad I bought the Vita version, it's the way this game was meant to be played.

matmanx1

Started my Vita copy last night with an Amazon and I'm very impressed so far. I knew the graphics would be fantastic, and they are, but what really impressed me was the music. I love it! It's even better than Muramasa and fits the action really, really well.

I'm also really digging the touch screen controls on the Vita. Being able to tap the environment to find treasure and direct Rannie is a great feature that feels intuitive. Bravo, Vanillaware.

Bucca

Absolutely loving this game, played it about 3 hours last night on my Vita. Got an Elf up to 9 and Sorceress to 6. Game is obviously gorgeous as anyone would expect on the OLED, but the frame rate is a mess. It's completely obvious from the first level that the Vita hardware is not up to snuff at trying to keep a steady frame rate in this game, it's a disaster.

Anyone who had has any concerns about this problem should just straight up buy the PS3 version. It's bothering me, greatly, although I knew there would be framerate problems going in. I'm still glad I bought the Vita version, it's the way this game was meant to be played.

Many on here have said while the framerate dips are noticeable, they don't impair gameplay.

When do you notice them? Was it when lots of spell effects and stuff were going on?

antitrop

Many on here have said while the framerate dips are noticeable, they don't impair gameplay.

When do you notice them? Was it when lots of spell effects and stuff were going on?
When I got good enough at the game that I could start chaining together a large flurry of attacks with the Elf, I can get the frame rate to slow down absolutely anywhere.

I agree that it doesn't affect gameplay.

ZeroAKA

I've played almost 3 hours of the Vita version so far and have only seen noticeable slowdowns once when I had a party of Elf with 3 magic users. It's a definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for me. I can't imagine playing the game with the right analog stick instead of the touch screen.

Nymphae

Banned
go onto the PS store, and search for Dragons Crown. There will be a voice pack free DLC.

Need to download the DLC thing of it from the PSN store.

Much appreciated!

...the frame rate is a mess. It's completely obvious from the first level that the Vita hardware is not up to snuff at trying to keep a steady frame rate in this game, it's a disaster.

I didn't really notice it being that bad, I played for 2.5 hours last night and I only noticed some minor slowdown when I had 3 party members and a ton of enemies on screen. I was actually pretty surprised at how well it was running considering the bad things I heard about the Vita version.

Bucca

When I got good enough at the game that I could start chaining together a large flurry of attacks with the Elf, I can get the frame rate to slow down absolutely anywhere.

I agree that it doesn't affect gameplay.

So how bad are the actual dips?

I can't imagine they're anywhere near Odin Sphere bad.

Andrew.

Banned
. I'm still glad I bought the Vita version, it's the way this game was meant to be played.

I say playing this on a reasonably sized big screen TV in all it's 1080P glory with some buddies by your side is the way to go.

Just like the good ol days of beat 'em ups XD

I cant imagine playing something like this with three other people and a load of enemies on such a small screen.

Emitan

Wat. I only get slowdown at certain specific areas and its never very bad.

Deitus

I've played almost 3 hours of the Vita version so far and have only seen noticeable slowdowns once when I had a party of Elf with 3 magic users. It's a definitely a worthwhile tradeoff for me. I can't imagine playing the game with the right analog stick instead of the touch screen.

It's not that bad. Most of what you need the pointer for (opening chests and doors, revealing hidden coins) you want to do after you have cleared the screen of enemies anyway. At that point, its just a matter of it takes 1 second longer to point to something than it would to just touch it. Plus there is a sort of "aim-assist" that causes the cursor to gravitate towards points of interest when you get it in the general vicinity.

It does slow down the pacing a bit though, making the non-combat segments take a bit longer than they should. It's an annoyance, but not a major one. But then I'm not very far in yet, so it may get worse as you go.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Vita framerate drop really isn't that bad. Its noticeable at times, sure, but nowhere close to gamebreaking imo

maomaoIYP

Okay I've almost hit 100 hours and I've just cleared my 5th character (Wizard) on normal. I think I'm a little burned out.
Strangely though, I really had a good time with sorceress, but I had quite a bit of trouble with the wizard even though they are pretty much identical. The thing that bums me out about the wizard is that his meteor spell is freaking awesome, but almost completely useless for solo players since it has a 10 second cast time. I've only managed to pull it off a few times by pre-casting during boss fights. Also the wizard's spells are awfully focused, basically it's just fire and lightning. In addition, the storm spell causes slowdown (PS3 version here), and the spell effects are so overwhelming I can't see shit whenever I cast it.

antitrop

I say playing this on a reasonably sized big screen TV in all it's 1080P glory with some buddies by your side is the way to go.

Just like the good ol days of beat 'em ups XD

I cant imagine playing something like this with three other people and a load of enemies on such a small screen.

I think I would get bored of this game in front of my television in about 5 hours. The portability of the Vita is what will keep me playing this.

mauaus

Loving this. Just love.

My ONLY complaint is that the story only.progresses for player one. Found this out the hard way last night after a buddy and I played some co-op for a few hours. I didn not know this going in. Every character you create needs to progress through the story as player one. So last night, for example, my buddy was using my elf as player two. When I started using her as player one, I had to redo all the missions we went through all over again.

But the equipment and levels stay with you?

Noi

Funny, I'm playing the Vita version and still use the right analog stick for the cursor over the touchscreen. Having to move my whole hand to touch things feels a lot more uncomfortable, and just raising the cursor speed in the options was enough for me to rapidly tap everything withe stick.

Despite not having him in my party the first Dwarf I resurrected keeps going up. Any way to stop this?

Go to the Tavern and in the Choose Allies screen you can set it so people can't join you mid-round.

Top Bottom