• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

A few questions:

Is there anything like a shared chest between your characters? Or anything along those lines? Or is each game tied entirely to one playable character?

Not a problem if it is, but its something you see a lot in Diablo-esque lootish games. Was thinking to trying the Barbarian but don't know if that requires starting a whole new game, or if I can somehow bring her into the same world as my Knight primary.

And a question regarding runes:
I have the fairy now (adn had a nice long chat with eldritch tower Gandalf) but still can't click on runes drawn on the environment. I take it something else has to unlock or develop before I can make use of them? I have no idea what they do, or if the runes drawn on the backgrounds are ever interactive. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious

Besides that I'm loving this. Its got a simple Tavern -> Quest -> Divide Spoils -> Sell/Equip -> Level -> Acquire new Quest loop going on.

Feels very, very much like a mobile game blown up on my big ass TV though, but so far that's not really a problem as the art style (which I'm absolutely loving - everything, everywhere is super exaggerated to mythical proportions, not just asses and boobs) still holds strong. So far I'm very happy with my spur-of-the-moment purchase.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
wut

You need the extra evade actions and slide attack buff as elf. They're a much bigger deal than power shot. Evade is your lifeline and slide getting better knockdowns gives you all the options in the world when it comes to dropping impact shots from the air.

Larger bag, healing through coins, exp through coins, bigger food healing... yeah, don't dismiss Common. You'll miss out on some essential stuff for any class.

Yea hard mode will hopefully make that stuff worthwhile. Normal has been a cakewalk so everytime I consider those moves it feels a bit wasted at this point. I have yet to face a foe that requires extra evade help for instance.

I do deliberate on every skill per level, but until I start noticing my health requiring a bump to survive or my evasion no longer getting me back to range swiftly, meh...it's a bit like diablo 3 so far, normal mode is a bit tedious with its ease.

Looks like I'll have my Vita copy tonight, but I will be at a baseball game so I should get some time tomorrow. Has anyone gotten it from Newegg, and did it ccome with the art book?

Fou-Lu

Elf is a lot of fun, but also just feels really weak compared to everyone else. Oh well, at least I'm playing co-op so my buddies can pick up the slack.

People who pre-ordered theirs at Gamestop and haven't picked their copy up yet:

If they don't give you the artbook when they hand you your game, don't hesitate to ask. This happened to me and the manager said they were being kept in the back storeroom.

Raven77

Anybody having a hard time finding this in the US? I checked 2 Targets and a Walmart yesterday and no luck. Didn't have time to hit Gamestop but it just seemed odd that 3 major retailers would not have it.

Also is there really no voice chat?

Naite

Usually I'd pick Amazon or Dwarf because their playstyle suits me better, but I decided to switch it up and start with Elf. I wasn't liking her at the beginning but now I'm having loads of fun with her mobilty and juggling with her arrows. Can't wait to play coop with others.

That music during the world map. Brings chills every time I hear it!

Need a soundtrack for this game. Would've been a nice preorder bonus along with the artbook.

Elf is a lot of fun, but also just feels really weak compared to everyone else. Oh well, at least I'm playing co-op so my buddies can pick up the slack.
Elf and Wizard and Witch are listed as "Expert" characters in the Tavern when selecting a class. Maybe they have a slow build-up and become demi-gods later?

Noi

"I've made a huge mistake.."

"Arrow... to the knee..."

why

9457996157_449cc7fe34_c.jpg

Anybody having a hard time finding this in the US? I checked 2 Targets and a Walmart yesterday and no luck. Didn't have time to hit Gamestop but it just seemed odd that 3 major retailers would not have it.

Also is there really no voice chat?

There is really no voice chat. Skype it up?

mh, I should try this.

right now it's getting boring with the wizard since you only have those 3-4 attacks and you can change only the element. I bought some spells but you can only use them a couple of times per dungeon since they are pretty strong.
anyway, I'm level 13 with 4 hours played, still can't go online.

Every wizard player should invest at least 1 point into levitate.
It's basically superior air evade.

IMACOMPUTA

I stopped by gamestop last night and picked the vita version up. Enjoying it so far.

I didn't have it preordered but i got the book... i have no interest in it.

Eterniti

Okay, I cant resurrect more characters because I'm full, how do I dismiss old characters at the dragons haven inn?

It should be pretty straight forward: Select the character as if you're going to be adding them to your party, and there should be a button to delete or dismiss them.

Fistwell

So I imported it (along w/ muramasa). UPS tracking tells me it was in geneva (45mins from where I leave) at 1pm local time. Now... it's up in koeln germany, 740Km away. To get to koeln germany from geneva, it actually makes sense to drive right by my place.

WTF UPS STOP TOYInG WITH MAH FEELS

chiba

Okay, I cant resurrect more characters because I'm full, how do I dismiss old characters at the dragons haven inn?

If I remember correct from last night, there should be a "part ways" button somewhere at the inn after clicking on the char.

Hav any fellow europeans having ordered the game on videogamesplus.ca already received the game? Can't wait to play this!

Not over here but it's pretty normal since I'm a moron and it only shipped on monday. Should have gone to République and call it a day. Now onto the waiting game.

eliochip

Weirdly enough, I started with Elf and I am absolutely wrecking shit up. This game must be a breeze with the Knight or whatever.

Had no trouble with the Elf. Must be a playstyle thing.

Jinjo

Got it today. Imported. Online store I bought it from is already out it seems, got lucky. Started playing as an Elf. Only played for about an hour and then I had to try out Xillia. It's my first Vanillaware game and I definitely like what I played so far. It's a bit overwhelming at first with all the menu's and skills though, but I'm sure I'll get to grips with it quick.

Eterniti

Playing as Amazon on PS3 and got her to level 9... I made the right character choice, it is very fun :)

Amazon's super powerful! I just hate it when she gets knocked out and drops her axe. But even without it, she's got some punches and kicks! And that jumping whirlwind attack that you can control while jumping is ridiculous.

Qvoth

if anything, seems like almost everyone's saying amazon and elf are the most OP because of their really high dps

sorceress is a must since she can generate food

I played a few hours last night and I'm really enjoying the game. It's definitely shaping up to be my favorite Vanillaware game. I'm not too fond of the Sorceress gameplay so far though. I might have to try a melee class like the Amazon or the Fighter.

My only complaints thus far:

Using the analog stick cursor to open doors, chests, and find hidden objects is kind of annoying...

I frequently find myself executing unwanted attacks while dashing due to the analog stick movement.

I really wish the game had a global voice option to change all the voices to Japanese. The lack of any such option was somewhat disappointing but at least I get character voices...

The majority of hub related activities in local co-op are really cumbersome with 2 players and I can't imagine how annoying it would get with 4 players. They could have streamlined that quite a bit but I guess it's not much of an issue with online multiplayer.

I don't like being forced to play with the AI companions.

Eterniti

I frequently find myself executing unwanted attacks while dashing due to the analog stick movement.

I really wish the game had a global voice option to change all the voices to Japanese. The lack of any such option was somewhat disappointing but at least I get character voices...

If the Left Analog Stick controls are becoming cumbersome, the D-pad might be a better option. That's what I did.

Also, the voices will be different once you go online. It's on a per character basis, so you'll hear some Sorceress(es?) speaking in both languages sometimes.

And you can turn off AI companions altogether. Just go to each empty party slot at the Inn and disable them.

In the tavern where you select your AI companions you can disable each party slot. Its something like "no join" or similar. I saw the option but I haven't experimented with it yet, but I'd imagine that'd do the trick if you wanted to truly solo or duo up.

Knight (Fighter) never dies. Loads of HP. Damage output seems only slightly under Elf. This only comes from my experience around the range of level 25. Later on (on harder difficulty levels), I bet Fighter's lack of damage output might come into play.

koryuken

Amazon's super powerful! I just hate it when she gets knocked out and drops her axe. But even without it, she's got some punches and kicks! And that jumping whirlwind attack that you can control while jumping is ridiculous.

You can also initiate that attack from an evade! I evade away and damage anything behind me.

Mupod

From what I've seen the amazon's big strength is her aerial ability. You can pretty much live in the air if you use your spin, uppercut, and double jump wisely. And then when you come down you can do crazy damage with the double jump into down+square move.

Top Bottom