• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

is it normal that my character + helper guy + maybe 1 or 2 enemies take up THE ENTIRE SCREEN?

is there a way for me to zoom out? it seems like in screens and videos the camera is zoomed out more...

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Really sad that this game is going to be undersold. There is not ONE brick and mortar store that has this in a 200 mile radius of me. This includes 4 bestbuys, 6 walmarts, 3 targets, 3 kmarts, 3 sears, and 4 of 6 gamestops.

Wtf is going on with Altus, and/or national retailers?

Well wasn't Atlus discovered to have done some sort of fraud with profits? And wasn't Atlus in the process of being bought? That could have something to do... good thing its digital!!

Weird, amazon sent me a delivery date of Thursday but it turned up early this morning

The artbook was glued to the game - fortunately it came off fine, so the artbook is mint.

It's triangle, but when you give them the boot like that, arent they gone for good? I did that simply to exchange for a stronger Elf companion and the weaker one disappeared.

yep, I don't mind giving the low level ones the boot like that. I wish you could strip them of their gear first, though >:) that's what I would do in Final Fantasy Tactics, mwahaha.

Nymphae, did you mean perma-delete or just make it so they don't join your party? I went into battle once with just 1 other AI person but midway through, another joined me! I guess it's trying to simulate someone joining you at an arcade cabinet?

Well wasn't Atlus discovered to have done some sort of fraud with profits? And wasn't Atlus in the process of being bought? That could have something to do... good thing its digital!!

no that was Atlus' parent company that got in some hot water. Atlus is just fine and AFAIK operate as a separate entity.

Atlus has been known though to play it very safe with their distribution though.

pushBAK

Picked this game up yesterday via the PSN Store, took until like 3PM CT to be added :mad:

Anyway, love the game. It's everything I loved about classic beat 'em ups with a modern twist. I'm a big fan of Action-RPGs, this is right around the perfect game for me. It's got a bit of everything for me. Couldn't have been happier with the purchase.

Pejo

you can double tap the direction for dash. I'm using dpad for movement. As for equipment change, I believe you can. Put multiple weapons on but only equip 1. In a dungeon, you can use left/right on your iventory (dpad or left stick depending on which one is movement) and you can equip the other weapon by scrolling to it and pressing a button, not sure which one.

Ah! Thanks, never thought to equip more than 1 weapon in my bag. Man, that makes the limited inventory even more painful for wizard, mixed with spells and potions.....

deim0s

yep, I don't mind giving the low level ones the boot like that. I wish you could strip them of their gear first, though >:) that's what I would do in Final Fantasy Tactics, mwahaha.

Tempting but I could understand why they didn't go this route. Checked my allies list and saw a couple of dudes in their 80s! Stripping them of their phat loot can be cool but not entirely useful for a while like I am at level 34.

Andrew.

Banned
Me, my ladies and my Narnia/Cowardly Lion shield.

212523921052025ae8d5ea1.jpg

Really love how you can see the different equiment and weapons being worn and used.

i started playing yesterday. and noticed my thumb gets cramped up. so i went ahead and bought myself a vita grip for the system. hopefully that helps. but so far so good. there's some fps drop the first level that started the fire from the barrels. but it's nothing too bad.

ended up wizard so i can save Amazon for my pleasure.

I'll be off to teach in China at the end of the month and was thinking about picking this up for the plane. Trouble is, I'm really not sure what my internet situation is going to be once I'm over there. How worth a damn is this game if I went single player only? Still worth it, or would I be better served looking more towards Muramasa?

I'll be off to teach in China at the end of the month and was thinking about picking this up for the plane. Trouble is, I'm really not sure what my internet situation is going to be once I'm over there. How worth a damn is this game if I went single player only? Still worth it, or would I be better served looking more towards Muramasa?

perfectly viable solo. you can bring AI squadmates as well to simulate the multiplayer experience and they certainly help in the dungeons

anddo0

Elf lvl 7, 2:45-mins in. I've repeated a few areas. So far this is one of the best games I've played all year. I can see myself logging 100+ hours into this easily. It's early, but everything is clicking, The art style is quite something (I don't find anything offensive, it's a videogame).. The soundtrack hits all the right notes. The gameplay repetition hasn't kicked in yet. I'm enjoying it for what it is. I love the rpg aspects, lots of depth here. I can't wait to try out other classes. The elf isn't as difficult as I thought it would be from the description.

george_us

English VA Amazon > Japanese VA Amazon. Too girly, the Japanese one.
BUT
Dwarf JP VA> everything.
Ewww no. English Amazon VA sounds like she's trying to do her worst impression of sounding like a man. It's horrid.

Sorcess English VA is awesome though. She's my narrator as of now.

Nymphae

Banned
Nymphae, did you mean perma-delete or just make it so they don't join your party? I went into battle once with just 1 other AI person but midway through, another joined me! I guess it's trying to simulate someone joining you at an arcade cabinet?

I meant perma-delete, making them not join my party would be good too though. I would go to the tavern, and purposely not add any revived people to my party. Then I would go into a dungeon, and they would start teleporting in at various times. After a minute or so, the first guy I revived teleports into the dungeon, and so on.

I meant perma-delete, making them not join my party would be good too though. I would go to the tavern, and purposely not add any revived people to my party. Then I would go into a dungeon, and they would start teleporting in at various times. After a minute or so, the first guy I revived teleports into the dungeon, and so on.

You can change the party slots to don't join at the tavern, that'll let you run solo

Nymphae

Banned
Is there any particular reason why you would not want to go into an area with a full party?

It clutters the screen WAY too much for me. I'm not playing with any friends, so I want to be able to see my character / have a better idea what's going on in battles. The companions help a ton, but I just want to try without them.

You can change the party slots to don't join at the tavern, that'll let you run solo

Thanks, I will try that!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea I've been soloing my elf by doing this in the early game. Not difficult at all yet, and it really helps to learn the combat far easier without ai stealing kills and cluttering the screen.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It clutters the screen WAY too much for me. I'm not playing with any friends, so I want to be able to see my character / have a better idea what's going on in battles. The companions help a ton, but I just want to try without them.

Gotcha. I didn't know if there was a particular bonus or something you were going for.

Is there any downside to using Prayers before going into dungeons? The brief tutorial mentioned something about the price going up after repeated prayers, but that hasn't happened for me yet.

Grisby

Anyone put any points into the Elf's spirit attack? Is the 'spirit energy' useful?

Also, +1 for the soundtrack love.

Gotcha. I didn't know if there was a particular bonus or something you were going for.

Is there any downside to using Prayers before going into dungeons? The brief tutorial mentioned something about the price going up after repeated prayers, but that hasn't happened for me yet.

I think that's for when you lose all of your lives in a level, you can pay like a continue in an arcade. The price for this increases the more you use it.

Nymphae

Banned

There might trophies/quests related to soloing, I'm not sure yet.

I think the price going up thing was in regards to being killed over and over again in a dungeon, being revived costs more and more each time.

I really miss the good ol' days when RPGs came with paper instruction manuals, so I could go over all the systems before starting the game proper, or have it open while I play. The digital manuals just aren't the same.

Have to wonder if this game is gonna be a surprise hit - I see its #5 on amazon, #3 game behind football games

it was hard to find the game locally though, low supply it seems

Japan sales

09./03. [PSV] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 13.772 / 84.855 (-81%)
10./02. [PS3] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 13.714 / 118.074 (-87%)

Finalow

so, any good build for the wizard? Right now I'm trying to get as much mp regen as possible, since he runs out of it after 3 spells used.

anyway, do I have to do something with the old guy that asks for 1g?

RS4-

Is there any particular reason why you would not want to go into an area with a full party?

There are some quests from the adventures guild that kind of need you to be solo (unless you get lucky)

for example: survive 5 attacks from hellhounds. If you're in a party, they'll most likely kill them before you get hit 5 times. I was unfortunate to only get 4/5, so I had to solo to complete it.

LuuKyK

English sorceress VA reminds me of Elizabeth from Persona. Really like her voice, she is my narrator as well. Actually they are all pretty solid. Good choices.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There are some quests from the adventures guild that kind of need you to be solo (unless you get lucky)

for example: survive 5 attacks from hellhounds. If you're in a party, they'll most likely kill them before you get hit 5 times. I was unfortunate to only get 4/5, so I had to solo to complete it.

For certain side quests it's much easier to go about them if you're solo.

That makes sense. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Have to wonder if this game is gonna be a surprise hit - I see its #5 on amazon, #3 game behind football games

it was hard to find the game locally though, low supply it seems

Japan sales

09./03. [PSV] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 13.772 / 84.855 (-81%)
10./02. [PS3] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 13.714 / 118.074 (-87%)

It had to catch Atlus by surprise in some way because the PS3 version had a sell through of nearly 95% in its first week. Anytime the sell through is that high it's going to mean that people that wanted to find it couldn't.

Nymphae

Banned
How do you get different narrator voices? I tried changing it last night but I wasn't able to select anything other than the default.

antibolo

Banned
Still haven't bought the game yet because I can't make up my goddamn mind about which version to get.

Given the chance between home and portable console I usually pick portable, but in this case I would really want to see some Vanillaware goodness in 1080p.

Couch co-op would be nice too (although I would not have many occasions to do it), as well as more stable framerate.

I'm completely torn.

I can understand Atlus not wanting to go Cross-Buy, but they should at least do a dual platform bundle.

Ewww no. English Amazon VA sounds like she's trying to do her worst impression of sounding like a man. It's horrid.

Sorcess English VA is awesome though. She's my narrator as of now.

I agree the english sorceress did a great job.

The biggest contrast for me is english wizard vs japanese one, wtf happened there? Japanese voice is so deep and awesome.

mao2

English sorceress VA reminds me of Elizabeth from Persona. Really like her voice, she is my narrator as well. Actually they are all pretty solid. Good choices.
I'm actually surprised at how well the English voices are. I love the default Game Master's voice.

Top Bottom