• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

antitrop

Funny, I'm playing the Vita version and still use the right analog stick for the cursor over the touchscreen. Having to move my whole hand to touch things feels a lot more uncomfortable, and just raising the cursor speed in the options was enough for me to rapidly tap everything withe stick.
Yup, I almost never used the touch screen. Too cumbersome to take my hands off the Vita grip, I do prefer using the right analog stick.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Do missions you do with a buddy online (not couch co-op) count towards the character you're playing as? Or do you need to redo them in your own game?

Also how does loot work online? Does each person get their own pools of loot?

FYI, the Japanese version apparently got a patch today:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633261-dragons-crown/66921270

-Internet stability has been improved
-Hidden item can be collected with pointer?(not sure about this one)
-Item short cut can be accessed with L1 button
-Bomb and Dagger have a up throw now
-All repair button included to repair items in all bags
-Other system performance flow have been improved details can be found on main page.
Seems like they also turned off narrator repeating the talisman collection reminder.

Added a match area under the options menu that lets you select between all area and local.

Loving this game!!

Played a bit of Warrior Dwarf Elf and Amazon. And Amazon is my favorite so far. So Im gonna settle down with her a while.

sonicmj1

The Japanese version patch is awesome in practice. The cursor change makes getting items from the screen way easier, since you don't have to click to activate them. You can just wave the cursor around the background and items will fall out on their own. Runes still suck, but it's a start.

There's also a UI change that tells you which characters in your group are NPCs, which is nice to know when playing online where people drop in and out.

I've hit hard mode, and I'm enjoying the game a lot. Being able to extend quests has me playing for far longer than I ever thought I would, and now I'm packing multiple bags so I can go deep into dungeons without breaking my gear.

It had to catch Atlus by surprise in some way because the PS3 version had a sell through of nearly 95% in its first week. Anytime the sell through is that high it's going to mean that people that wanted to find it couldn't.

yeah unlike prior games (odin sphere, mura, grim), i can recommend my friends buy this game - actually IM'ing them to get it. I knew prior games wouldnt be to their tastes

The Japanese version patch is awesome in practice. The cursor change makes getting items from the screen way easier, since you don't have to click to activate them. You can just wave the cursor around the background and items will fall out on their own. Runes still suck, but it's a start.

There's also a UI change that tells you which characters in your group are NPCs, which is nice to know when playing online where people drop in and out.

I've hit hard mode, and I'm enjoying the game a lot. Being able to extend quests has me playing for far longer than I ever thought I would, and now I'm packing multiple bags so I can go deep into dungeons without breaking my gear.
Can you talk a bit about how hard mode works? Do you go through the entire story again, etc?

ZeroAKA

It's not that bad. Most of what you need the pointer for (opening chests and doors, revealing hidden coins) you want to do after you have cleared the screen of enemies anyway. At that point, its just a matter of it takes 1 second longer to point to something than it would to just touch it. Plus there is a sort of "aim-assist" that causes the cursor to gravitate towards points of interest when you get it in the general vicinity.

It does slow down the pacing a bit though, making the non-combat segments take a bit longer than they should. It's an annoyance, but not a major one. But then I'm not very far in yet, so it may get worse as you go.
I don't know, I just couldn't get used to controlling the analog stick to move the cursor. It felt like too much of a hassle.

I tend to spam tap the screen at times to see if I've missed any hidden shiny spots though. :p

anddo0

I asked about
Wallace
instead of rune magic.
Am I missing anything by not selecting the magic option?

The rune magic option is currently grayed out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lol I'm finding myself using right stick more than the touch screen on vita. The right stick can sweep around and find secrets way easier than waiting for the little shine to touch.

Though it is less of a hassle to just touch stuff to activate. Actually do most people even know the right stick can move the pointer on screen on vita?

Also loving the elf skill tree. Have yet to dump any points into common.

Ultimadrago

When will I be able to cook? I'm still somewhat early into the game, but can anyone tell me the benchmark for the introduction of chaining dungeons (and cooking in-between)?

Ultimadrago

How does this affect, "Super treasure points"? Does all the treasure fall out with one wave or is clicking them rapidly still required?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Also loving the elf skill tree. Have yet to dump any points into common.

wut

You need the extra evade actions and slide attack buff as elf. They're a much bigger deal than power shot. Evade is your lifeline and slide getting better knockdowns gives you all the options in the world when it comes to dropping impact shots from the air.

Larger bag, healing through coins, exp through coins, bigger food healing... yeah, don't dismiss Common. You'll miss out on some essential stuff for any class.

Salaadin

Man, Wizard is so freaking fun. Really gotta get used to levitating because it feels like standing on the ground is pretty much asking to be killed.

sonicmj1

Can you talk a bit about how hard mode works? Do you go through the entire story again, etc?

After you beat the main quest, your character discovers that
there are two more dragons/difficulty levels to clear
. All the levels and paths are open, and you start from the talisman quest. Enemies and bosses are leveled up, and you see some new enemy types and new boss attacks. In theory, you could go straight after B-side, but your level would be too low to be effective.

How does this affect, "Super treasure points"? Does all the treasure fall out with one wave or is clicking them rapidly still required?

The treasure falls out all at once. It takes a while to pick up, though.

Nibiru

Banned
Okay I've almost hit 100 hours and I've just cleared my 5th character (Wizard) on normal. I think I'm a little burned out.

You maybe should have just picked one character and taken it through to the end difficulty. From what I have heard that is where it truly gets awesome. Doing Normal over and over would burn anyone out.

That said at least you have a feel for all the characters and after taking a break you can choose one to take all the way.

You guys, and this OT psyched me up for the game, so yesterday after work, I determined that I had to get the game and hop aboard the hype train.

Called 2 Gamestop's within 10 miles of my house, neither had the game. Grace put the update out pretty early, it seems, so I was struggling and debating to get a physical copy or dd since the file size was only 1.3GB! (I try to get physical media whenever I can, and DD psn games or classics that I can't get physically, to conserve hdd space)

Called Play N' Trade and they had the game, so I went to pick it up. Had never bought anything there. They were really cool and even gave me the art book for the game and a store coupon book for purchases and trades. They had a lot of older stuff. Very cool.

Had to run a dungeon in Neverwinter with my friends, but I quickly logged so I could get to Dragon's Crown.

Did the 1.3GB install from the disc, and rolled fighter. Taking some getting used to. I couldn't figure out how to equip/swap items for the longest time.
I'm about 2.5 hrs in at the part where you have to go find the guildmaster

The game is gorgeous. I'm definitely going to download Odin Sphere.

Odin sphere is nothing like this game. Just know that before going in

Moofers

Got about 3 hours in yesterday, all with the Amazon. #TeamHometown indeed. Loving it. I really dig how Amazon can be such a combo monster. Its like playing MvC3 the way I launch enemies into the air, smack them, launch them higher, double-jump, do a downward slam to bring them down with me, then perform a power slam while they're downed. Its fucking awesome. I can't wait to dazzle my friends with the spectacle of these amazing combos.

Also, wanted to add again since nobody else has mentioned it:

THE VITA VERSION SUPPORTS CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK!

Carnby

Sent an email to NewEgg and received this response from "Monica":

"Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Please be advised that Newegg only guarantee the promotions that posted on Newegg website. In this case, we recommend you call manufacturer to verify the artbook. We do not have any information about the free artbook at this moment.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still require any assistance, please feel free to reply directly to this email."

I wasn't expecting to hear back from Newegg this quickly but I have yet to hear back from Atlus. I'm guessing I will hear something similar to what Ragingnight heard.

I haven't gotten my shipment from Newegg yet but I don't have hopes it will contain the artbook.

If Pejo received the artbook with his game and he really did order it from Newegg then I'm really going to be wtf. Guess I'll wait and see what happens with this but I'm raising hell with Newegg and Atlus if I don't get my damn artbook when my game arrives. Shit like this simply should not either happen or both companies should be leaning over backwards to take care of this. If I don't get that artbook then I'm done with preorders from Newegg and Atlus, and I previously loved both companies... :(

So it looks like we are out of luck.

I got the game from newegg for $37.99, due to a promo code. If buying it else where at full price would have guaranteed me the art book then... well, I'd rather pay 37.99

Great changes, especially "Repair All". Now give me an "Appraise All", too.
There is a repair all at the item shop. Square button I think.

Appraise all would be handy as so far that's pretty much what I'm doing. I can afford to, so why not?

BTW advice time. Am playing solo - should I try to go with a small party or max out all four slots? I'm half thinking to trying to solo or duo at max just to keep the action on screen readable.

Moofers

Reposted from last page:

Got about 3 hours in yesterday, all with the Amazon. #TeamHometown indeed. Loving it. I really dig how Amazon can be such a combo monster. Its like playing MvC3 the way I launch enemies into the air, smack them, launch them higher, double-jump, do a downward slam to bring them down with me, then perform a power slam while they're downed. Its fucking awesome. I can't wait to dazzle my friends with the spectacle of these amazing combos.

Also, wanted to add again since nobody else has mentioned it:

THE VITA VERSION SUPPORTS CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK!

*edit, added*

Wanted to add that I'm guessing the last gateway in town is going to be used for online play? Or is that set up in the Tavern? And does anyone know if you have to sit and re-unlock online play with each character? Thx

My FIRST time dying in the entire game was at the minitor, I discovered I could evade after defeating him -__-

and this was my first time taking in an AI companion (I revived and dismissed all the other classes) and I lost my amazon..what was I supposed to do to keep her after she dies?

I love the Sorceress's dialogue if you revive one of her bones.
"Yay, I'm not dead!"

Lol, the characters say some really funny stuff if you revive their bones at the temple

"I've made a huge mistake.."

Alcoholica

Neo Member
Just unlocked online with my level 13 elf. Doing the 9 tailsmans quest and if anyone would like to play and party chat my psn is Alcoholica84.

Finalow

Man, Wizard is so freaking fun. Really gotta get used to levitating because it feels like standing on the ground is pretty much asking to be killed.
mh, I should try this.

right now it's getting boring with the wizard since you only have those 3-4 attacks and you can change only the element. I bought some spells but you can only use them a couple of times per dungeon since they are pretty strong.
anyway, I'm level 13 with 4 hours played, still can't go online.

I think Odin Sphere and Muramasa are both pretty whatever games, but I'm loving Dragon's Crown.

I haven't played muramasa but I bought odin sphere and couldn't get thru it. The combat looked beat em up, but wasn't. This game on the other hand is vanillawares best work

maomaoIYP

You maybe should have just picked one character and taken it through to the end difficulty. From what I have heard that is where it truly gets awesome. Doing Normal over and over would burn anyone out.

That said at least you have a feel for all the characters and after taking a break you can choose one to take all the way.

Nah, I wanted to make sure I had a clear idea of which ones I want to play on harder difficulties with. Don't intend to do them all, not sure how many hours that would take me.

I've got Animate Dead skill on my Sorceress. How do I get skellies with it? I stand next to a pile of bones and press square, but nothing happens! What gives?

Top Bottom