• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

pretty sure there's an option for soloing without any AI companions

Yea, click triangle I think on the companion screen for each slot to toggle join/no join.

The game still pops AI character into the game as long as you have companions in the tavern. Although the selection is random and they usually don't give you more than 2.

The only way to really solo is to revive no one/dismiss everyone.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is this similar to something like Dungeon Fighter Online was? I can't watch videos because I'm at work at the moment.

Also, are there "end-game" encounters that put your gear and skills to the test?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The game still pops AI character into the game as long as you have companions in the tavern. Although the selection is random and they usually don't give you more than 2.

The only way to really solo is to revive no one/dismiss everyone.

Not in my experience. I have a mad roster of ai companions in the inn, but they never join since I disabled all three slots. Are you sure you are doing that? I have been flying solo as an elf the entire game outside of the tutorial.

Dragoshi1

The stage with the Vampires is annoying going in solo, keeping the girls alive is next to impossible(I rolled Elf for my first playthrough).

I can always come back and attempt to save them again, right?

Mupod

The stage with the Vampires is annoying going in solo, keeping the girls alive is next to impossible(I rolled Elf for my first playthrough).

I've saved them multiple times and I haven't even seen a difference in what happens. I guess it's just a score bonus?

eliochip

I don't really understand that quest...

I kept them alive and at the end of the stage, the narrator said they turned into vampires and I abandoned them. WTF?

Yeah, you can repeat that event. Even with a full group of melee characters I haven't managed to keep them all safe...

Edit: If one gets bitten, I suppose they all turn and that counts as a fail.

I chose female spell caster like I do in every game but it seems like a very weak class outside of multiplayer.

Their AOEs are very nice and unmatched, but their combo potential is extremely limited based on the lag between magic and holding [ ]

i might just ship after beating normal with her

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I chose female spell caster like I do in every game but it seems like a very weak class outside of multiplayer.

Their AOEs are very nice and unmatched, but their combo potential is extremely limited based on the lag between magic and holding [ ]

i might just ship after beating normal with her

If you want to combo make sure you use the Ice wands. Abuse the tornado spell as well. up circle

Never straight up shoot ice or normal attacks, when you are doing melee stuff go
[ ], O, [ ], O, [ ], O

as fast as possible.

And you can turn off AI companions altogether. Just go to each empty party slot at the Inn and disable them.

In the tavern where you select your AI companions you can disable each party slot. Its something like "no join" or similar. I saw the option but I haven't experimented with it yet, but I'd imagine that'd do the trick if you wanted to truly solo or duo up.

pretty sure there's an option for soloing without any AI companions

Thanks for the tip!

Deitus

Nice, I got an email from Amazon earlier today that they refunded me $5 on my Dragon's Crown order due to preorder price guarantee. Can't complain about that.

About a level 14 wizard, and I think I'm done with it. I love the teleport & levitate but I'm not a fan of how you use spell books. Still loving elf. So my 2nd character is going to come down to one of the melee classes

Marvelous

Some of you guys should, like, totally add me on PSN. :p
PSN ID: Maha_Narayana

I've mostly just been doing side quests. Haven't collected any of the talismans yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
About a level 14 wizard, and I think I'm done with it. I love the teleport & levitate but I'm not a fan of how you use spell books. Still loving elf. So my 2nd character is going to come down to one of the melee classes
Are you not a fan of the limited uses or not a fan of having to hold up and press a button for the shortcuts?

Finalow

I think I'm going to change chara too (at least after I played some games online), I'm not really liking too much this wizard playstyle.
elf and dwarf are waiting.

Are you not a fan of the limited uses or not a fan of having to hold up and press a button for the shortcuts?

The shortcuts and the cast time. I hear the patch with allow u to use L1 & a button for a shortcut. Maybe that will be better, but having to line my character up, stop moving to use it then have him pull out the book is infuriating. Mind u I'm playing solo right now, so maybe online this isn't a problem due to aggro.

bodine1231

Looks like I'm gonna have to get the ps3 version. I'm finding it VERY hard to see what's going on in the Vitas small screen. When things get crazy I resort to just button mashing because I can't see where I am.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The shortcuts and the cast time. I hear the patch with allow u to use L1 & a button for a shortcut. Maybe that will be better, but having to line my character up, stop moving to use it then have him pull out the book is infuriating. Mind u I'm playing solo right now, so maybe online this isn't a problem due to aggro.

I'm playing with heplers and they tend to hold agro fine. Maybe give them a shot :p

Andrew.

Banned
Unless its different on harder difficulties, there is absolutely zero repercussions to being tossed in jail. Kinda disappointing actually.

Noi

I don't really understand that quest...

I kept them alive and at the end of the stage, the narrator said they turned into vampires and I abandoned them. WTF?

The vampires were other girls that were imprisoned there who have all been turned, the narrator is just telling you what happened to those girls. You rescue the 3 with you, but you killed all the others.

Kureizu

I've played a little bit of every character and i don't like the two casters at all. The elf is the most diferent of all characters and fun to play. The three melee chars are pretty similar but they are really fun aswell.

I think I'm in love with this game.

augmental

Did everyone enter the 4 messages for resurrection, dying, etc? What did you guys put? Does the character actually say these things or it just pops up onscreen?

luffeN

Man this game is awesome. Never played a Vanillaware game before, but I just played DC for 3 hours on a projector and it is great. I don't know how to describe it, but this game feels more gamey than others. I may take a picture the next time I am playing it, I hope it comes out alright.

The only thing I dislike is the narrator. It is a good idea that he repeats what you have to do, but hearing it for the fifth time is getting annoying.

The AI companions are a nice touch and they really help a lot. Normal has so far been very easy, but Hard or Infernal will change that probably.

Edit: Hydeland music is godlike.

anddo0

Anyone else getting a ton of slowdown with a full party and the
fiery
on screen?
Add a mount and it gets pretty bad. I'm thinking of rolling solo or sticking with just two allies.

Is there a reason to do quests or go into dungeons alone?

Less chaos, you actually see what's going on. I don't know about the PS3 version, but having allies seems to crowd things too much on the Vita.

Quick question. So with my Wizard I'm just now getting into the whole rods thing. There's seemingly ice, fire and electricity based rods. Are these mostly aesthetic changes or are there type advantages with certain enemies?

Samus4145

I put up my review last night, feel free to read it if you are interested. I have both versions, so hit me up if you want to play. Samus4145

http://www.selectbutton.com/review/dragons-crown-review/

To sum it up if you don't want to click
  • Vita's touch screen controls > Right analog stick on PS3
  • Vita suffers from slowdown when everyone is setting off special attacks, while PS3 was quite smooth
  • Multiplayer has that addicting, "okay just one more dungeon feeling"

Moofers

Did everyone enter the 4 messages for resurrection, dying, etc? What did you guys put? Does the character actually say these things or it just pops up onscreen?

Rolled Amazon:

"Air fills my lungs once more!"
"#TeamHometown"
"Not like this...."

Can't remember the last one.

Sanctuary

Elf starts out very rough. The amount of actual skill required to play her effectively is the highest amongst all the characters. By level 35 I did get considerably powerful though.
The key to playing Elf is: 1) always end a combo with some sort of bow attack, 2) bow attacks that end with the arrow on the ground is almost always better, 3) both dash kick and dash bow attack are great and 4) evasion is your best friend.

I am completely confused by this. Either the Fighter, Dwarf and Amazon are just braindead in comparison, or you played the Elf in a harder than needed fashion.

My first character was a Wizard, and it definitely was not what I expected.
Most of the gameplay with that class revolves around casting 2-4 spells and then holding square, or simply trying to hold square for a few seconds in between each spell. Early on, you don't have enough attack skill spells to use them on anything other than boss fights, and some, like meteor are practically worthless on some of the more difficult bosses. Levitate, while it helps you avoid damage and does indeed up your spell damage, really kills your DPS until you get it up to the higher levels due to the fact that you still have to land to recharge and it's usually just faster to cast a few times on the ground, and then hold square (after jumping to safety if necessary). While that doesn't make the Wizard "hard" to play per se, it makes him very non interactive and rather boring/slow.

The Elf on the other hand
feels very similar to the Wizard in some ways, except with the longevity to just keep going, and going, and going. The Elf is much more mobile than the Wizard overall, and I've only had to use the actual evasion button a few times so far (only level 23). It also feels like the Elf can clear rooms so much faster, and that the game became so much easier that I simply decided to solo everything. Basically, just build up your boot damage and square jump larger enemies over and over (ending by doing the downward attack that hits 2-3 times), or just pogo on top of enemies over and over. Most of the time they can't even hit you. Arrow shots (namely rapid fire) clears rooms faster than the Wizard's charged square attack and feels closer to a Wizard's attack skill, except it replenishes. You can also avoid big ground attacks/charges by jumping in the air twice, then doing an upward attack, then charge an arrow on your way down.

Can't really speak for the Fighter, Amazon, Dwarf and Sorceress, but if the Sorceress'
normal moveset is like the Wizard, then she's probably actually the better class at higher levels. Status effects seems like they would matter more than outright damage since bosses seem to be the only challenge, not trash packs.
Although this could change later on.

anddo0

Elf:

Greeting: "Hi there"
Selection: "Go!"
Resurrection: "I'm back bitches"
Dying: "I'm dying here"

matmanx1

I'm actually really enjoying the Wizard but I'm only up to level 6 so far. I am using an Ice Wand and I do have the Slashing Tornado spell as an equippable (absolutely murdered the Wyverns) but so far it seems like a powerful class as long as you can manage your MP.

My Dwarf:

Name: FAT-THOR
Color: Crimson Red
Greeting: SKA-DOOSH!!
Selection: Awwww YEEEEAH!
Resurrect: SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!!
Dying: #!%^% not AGAIN!!

... he's one of THOSE kind of Dwarves.

:/

"Quick question. So with my Wizard I'm just now getting into the whole rods thing. There's seemingly ice, fire and electricity based rods. Are these mostly aesthetic changes or are there type advantages with certain enemies?"

Different spells for rods with different elements. Air's down+square is a big AOE lightning storm, Fire's Down+square is a down angled fireball, etc.

Eterniti

Did anyone figure out the combo for the chest in the labyrinth? The one with the colored tiles on the ground.

red, green/yellow, blue, purple

"Quick question. So with my Wizard I'm just now getting into the whole rods thing. There's seemingly ice, fire and electricity based rods. Are these mostly aesthetic changes or are there type advantages with certain enemies?"

Different spells for rods with different elements. Air's down+square is a big AOE lightning storm, Fire's Down+square is a down angled fireball, etc.

I know that pressing Forward + Spell with the Ice Rods does create an ice wave that moves forward and immobilizes certain enemies. I'd imagine that fire would cause DOT. I'll have to confirm once I'm back on my game later, but I'm 100% sure with the Ice Rod. It's also my favorite :)

Calcium

Banned
I really love this game. I put 6 hours into it today without even realizing it. I picked the Wizard for my starting class, throwing tornadoes and fire around is pretty fun. The story seems pretty lame so far, but the gameplay is fun.

My only complaints are that I'd rather level up the NPC companions with me instead of having to ditch them constantly for higher levels and putting mana regen on square was a bad decision. It's a pain in the ass to stop everything and hold square to ensure I meditate instead of accidentally sliding or something.

Are treasure chests random or does something effect the quality of loot you get? My last adventure I got like three E ranks in a row. Lame.

Also can we get the Sorceress a sports bra? Watching that NPC run is really distracting.

Did anyone figure out the combo for the chest in the labyrinth? The one with the colored tiles on the ground.

I think it was Red - Yellow - Blue - Purple.

Top Bottom