• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

That cooking mini-game is a pain in the ass. There's seemingly no deadzone on the sticks whatsoever during it and since it's the only time it uses the left stick to control a cursor it made me realize that my left stick has drift issues, so it's constantly moving up. I have to constantly wrangle it downward as well as contending to the chaos on screen.

Sanctuary

red, green/yellow, blue, purple

I know that pressing Forward + Spell with the Ice Rods does create an ice wave that moves forward and immobilizes certain enemies. I'd imagine that fire would cause DOT. I'll have to confirm once I'm back on my game later, but I'm 100% sure with the Ice Rod. It's also my favorite :)

It's not forward + spell, it's just hold cicle (for the PS3 at least). AFAIK, all of the rods function the same in regards to controls. The lightning rod uses more mana for it's special attacks, but it does have one that seems to be better than the other rods; jump in the air and charge circle. That's one ability that really demolishes with levels of levitate.

One warning I'll give about playing the Wizard online; if you decided to pick up the golem skill, it's a nightmare actually being able to use it with a group of random players. They almost never give you even three seconds to get up to a crate before they destroy it.

Majmun

I want to get the Vita version, but I'm not interested in online gameplay.

Is this game enjoyable as a singleplayer experience?

Eterniti

How are you supposed to figure that shit out? Is there a hint somewhere?

It's part of a sidequest that gets unlocked in the later half of the game.

Yes. I reviewed it predominantly by playing by myself. I didn't know that the online service was able to connect to Japan, which had the game already, so I only attempted that during the later part of my playthrough.

Kysen

I'm 20hrs in after doing all the normal difficulty quests on my amazon. I got lucky last weekend and was playing with some level 80+ characters(i'm lvl 35). It seems you get to keep the characters of the people you play with online.

I then used them to carry me through the chaos labyrinth, that was until their gear broke and I blew 200k gold on revives. Left the dungeon completely penniless and I think I was one boss away from the trophy.

Loving this game.

Sanctuary

The game forces you to play the first 15 - 20 levels or so solo before the ability to play online co-op unlocks. It's fun enough that way, and you get to use up to three other AI controlled members of your choice. What I've found so far is that I actually prefer the AI over human players when playing with randoms. Friends or Gaffers might be another story, but with randoms it's too much screen shoving, not waiting for runes, not waiting for finding hidden objects, smashing every box in sight asap etc.

Of course, the Wizard/Sorceress AI leaves much to be desired though. They blow their big spells on garbage that doesn't need it.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Reposting for any answers.

Do missions you do with a buddy online (not couch co-op) count towards the character you're playing as? Or do you need to redo them in your own game?

Also how does loot work online? Does each person get their own pools of loot?

mao2

Yes. I'm also playing by myself, and I'm enjoying it a lot. You can always recruit AI party members to fight alongside with you if you need a helping hand.

Did everyone enter the 4 messages for resurrection, dying, etc? What did you guys put? Does the character actually say these things or it just pops up onscreen?

I forgot my revival message and I didn't set a selection one yet, but my entry is Hee Ho! and my death is My Spleen!
I just put a bunch of fenserfilm GI Joe PSA quotes.

who wants a body massage?

I could go for a pork chop sandwich right about now

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Played online with my friend a bit today.

Fellow Elfs, you're doing it wrong.

Damn near every attack, or movement you have can be cancelled. If you're in the air after you've launched an enemy > down + square. BOW. Jump immediately and BOW again. Evade so that you're over and across the enemy on the other side. BOW. Evade back to where you were. BOW. Now touch the ground, slide and do whatever you were doing prior.

People are missing out on incredible damage potential with Elf. If you're on the ground, charging neutral circle/power shot attacks, you're doing it wrong.

Espada

Wizard feels like they have no flow. Does it get better as it goes? Think I'll switch soon.

Wizard and Sorceress have flow... as long as they have MP. Otherwise they're too squishy and rely on teleports/levitation to interrupt and get them out of trouble. Fighter and Amazon have moves that flow into one another like water.

Bucca

Anyone playing on the vita using some sort grip accessory?

Been thinking about picking one up. I saw a nice one that's officially licensed by Sony and was thinking of getting it.

PDP PSVita Trigger Grips, is what they were.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone playing on the vita using some sort grip accessory?

Been thinking about picking one up. I saw a nice one that's officially licensed by Sony and was thinking of getting it.

PDP PSVita Trigger Grips, is what they were.

I've read they have a design flaw that can fuck with your vita triggers. The hori and Nyko ones are supposedly better. Can get off amazon I think. I'm still researching some myself.

Just played for almost 6 hours straight, and I played online for maybe a little over an hour of that. Aside from some synching here and there at a few rare moments, it was a good experience.

I really, really love this game. It was totally worth the two year wait since it was announced. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of the generation, and is easily my game of the year right now.

Nice, Best Buy (.com) fucked me out of the pre-order artbook. Looking at their forums seems I'm not alone. I normally know better than to do anything pre-order related at Best Buy, but I had RZ points to burn.

Edit: Looks like Amazon is still shipping with the artbook? Hopefully the Best Buy rep gets back to everyone soon with a yes/no on whether or not they can get books to us.

Bucca

I've read they have a design flaw that can fuck with your vita triggers. The hori and Nyko ones are supposedly better. Can get off amazon I think. I'm still researching some myself.

Oh really? In what way can they fuck with the triggers?

Been looking for it but my GoogleFu skills ain't up to par.

CyberChulo

Has anyone gotten their cross save to work from the Vita to the PS3? When I try to download on the PS3, it says no game data found. And yes, I did upload it first from the Vita. Same online account on both Vita and PS3.

Bowler

Has anyone gotten their cross save to work from the Vita to the PS3? When I try to download on the PS3, it says no game data found. And yes, I did upload it first from the Vita. Same online account on both Vita and PS3.

Did you do the vita update from yesterday? 2.6

blackflag

Elf starts out very rough. The amount of actual skill required to play her effectively is the highest amongst all the characters. By level 35 I did get considerably powerful though.
The key to playing Elf is: 1) always end a combo with some sort of bow attack, 2) bow attacks that end with the arrow on the ground is almost always better, 3) both dash kick and dash bow attack are great and 4) evasion is your best friend.

What? It seems incredibly easy to me. Almost to the point where I want to try something harder. It is very fun though.

I feel like i'm in god mode though. flip flip shoot. attack run flip shoot.

Plumpman

Damn near every attack, or movement you have can be cancelled. If you're in the air after you've launched an enemy > down + square. BOW. Jump immediately and BOW again. Evade so that you're over and across the enemy on the other side. BOW. Evade back to where you were. BOW. Now touch the ground, slide and do whatever you were doing prior.

People are missing out on incredible damage potential with Elf. If you're on the ground, charging neutral circle/power shot attacks, you're doing it wrong.

There's also some really nice combos I'm pulling off with wall bounces from dashing square into charged up arrow volley then up square into any aerial combo string.

Anyone play this on a big screen? Just played it on a friends 70". Oh my, somehow my Vita OLED doesn't seem so beautiful anymore! Holy, this game shines on a big tv!

And yeah, Elf is hard to play. Definitely not for beginners.

Astarte

Good LORD amazon is a wrecking ball of malice and terror. Playing wizard seemed a bit iffy to me so I jumped to the polar opposite of him; beware, triangle ass comes for you!

Finalow

just played some games online but ugh, isn't there a score at the end? "sup nerds I did most of the damage", no? I'm sad.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
There's also some really nice combos I'm pulling off with wall bounces from dashing square into charged up arrow volley then up square into any aerial combo string.

Yeah. You can get crazy with Elf. People are just way too content walking around shooting one charged arrow at a time. Also, it really becomes clear what attacks work best against what enemies later on. Certain types are more susceptible to dash attacks vs slide while some enemies are simply waiting for a raw launch.

Another thing is Rapid Fire. I typically based a lot of my attack strings around ending in the aerial impact shot. Now that I have Rapid Fire up to 3, I've noticed a lot of things beginning to open up. All the arrows hurt, sure, but once you've got a significant crit rate and fire/poison arrows going on as well, you can do a LOT more damage then you'd normally think. You don't get to really see the benefits of Battle Hardened as much, but its still extremely effective once you get the pacing of arrow drops.

Moofers

Vita user here. I've got about 4 hours into it. For the most part, I haven't seen much slowdown. Maybe a little bit here and there when enemies really flood the screen, but otherwise its fine.

Controls are ace. My amazon is DESTROYING enemies with sick combos. Vita's God-Tier buttons and sticks really let you do everything you want without any "oh crap I pushed the wrong direction" stuff.

Graphics are incredible. I know it looks great on a TV, but the Vita screen really pops.

Haven't noticed the difficulty so far, but to be fair I've replayed a few dungeons 2 or 3 times for side-quests, so I think that has helped. I'm currently lvl 14.

All around, I really dig it. My only concern is that I've heard there are 9 stages and I've already been through like 5 of them. I realize there are 6 classes, but I could see 9 stages getting old over time. Hopefully the enemies scale? I don't know.

Vita user here. I've got about 4 hours into it. For the most part, I haven't seen much slowdown. Maybe a little bit here and there when enemies really flood the screen, but otherwise its fine.

Controls are ace. My amazon is DESTROYING enemies with sick combos. Vita's God-Tier buttons and sticks really let you do everything you want without any "oh crap I pushed the wrong direction" stuff.

Graphics are incredible. I know it looks great on a TV, but the Vita screen really pops.

Haven't noticed the difficulty so far, but to be fair I've replayed a few dungeons 2 or 3 times for side-quests, so I think that has helped. I'm currently lvl 14.

All around, I really dig it. My only concern is that I've heard there are 9 stages and I've already been through like 5 of them. I realize there are 6 classes, but I could see 9 stages getting old over time. Hopefully the enemies scale? I don't know.
Yeah I wish there were more stages. At least 12 would've been nice. But the backgrounds are so beautiful and have alternate routes, it still feels varied and doesn't get boring.

Maybe it'll get dull after the 30th or 100th hour, but any game would get dull and boring after that much time!

Gartooth

Started today and went with Amazon. Really charming game, love the visuals and I think it's apparent that a lot of love and care went into creating the game's world. Combat is fun and a love letter to old beat-em ups.

Also quick question, can the magic items from the shop in town work for all classes or just Sorceress and Wizard?

Eterniti

Now that people have sufficiently played the game, I have to ask:

Has anyone really been bothered by the fact that multiplayer is gated behind your initial run through of all the dungeons?

Now that people have sufficiently played the game, I have to ask:

Has anyone really been bothered by the fact that multiplayer is gated behind your initial run through of all the dungeons?
Nope. It actually flows quite nicely, gets you dipping your feet into all of them and then lets you dive into it with online play.

Sanctuary

Read my above spoiler post in regards to the Elf. While I certainly can't argue against the ridiculous damage of the Amazon, the Elf doesn't seem to be a difficult class to play, or blow up the screen with. You don't need to bother with the evade button when you aren't in any danger of being hit in the first place.

Top Bottom