• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Got my Elf to Level 14, having a blast! I don't understand why people are having trouble with her. Juggles, ground combos, evading, using arrows as a combo finisher... it doesn't seem that hard to me.

Giolon

Anyone play this on a big screen? Just played it on a friends 70". Oh my, somehow my Vita OLED doesn't seem so beautiful anymore! Holy, this game shines on a big tv!

My jaw hasn't dropped like this in years. Highly skilled 2D spritework in HD is pretty much the only thing left that can wow me (that and some really good cel-shading), and DC really knocked my socks off. It's the first game that's made me say "Wow, I really wish I had a bigger TV right now..." with in years.

Now that people have sufficiently played the game, I have to ask:

Has anyone really been bothered by the fact that multiplayer is gated behind your initial run through of all the dungeons?

Yes and no. No, because it's worked into the story decently and gives you a time to get a handle on the mechanics and how to deal with the chaos of everything going on on-screen before having to deal with other (anonymous) players too. Yes, because I mean 6 fucking hours before you can play with your friends? That's really shitty.

Eterniti

Anyone wanna play tonight? PSN ID's EternityInBlack

Tried to add people from the Google Doc, but no one's responded so far :p Got both the PS3 and Vita versions

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Read my above spoiler post in regards to the Elf. While I certainly can't argue against the ridiculous damage of the Amazon, the Elf doesn't seem to be a difficult class to play, or blow up the screen with. You don't need to bother with the evade button when you aren't in any danger of being hit in the first place.

Each evade cancels whatever you're doing and they all keep you airborne. You can tack an impact arrow into each evade as well.

So you're looking at a damage increase. A huge one - since you can essentially fit an impact arrow into each jump and each evade. Keeping you in the air longer and giving you a much easier way of navigating yourself to where your damage is needed. Where you only have 2 maybe 3 shots before, one extra evade gives you 3 easily and more than that if you actually know how to maneuver your way through a proper aerial combo.

Evade is more offensive than defensive.

DY_nasty

Might be a stupid question, but can you pick up the swords in the ground with an X on them, and if so how?

Those belong to teammates. Amazon, Dwarf, and Fighter all can 'lose' their weapons. They don't always need their weapons on them.

DY_nasty

Is there a point to burying bones? The game mentions maybe getting an item, but I've gotten jack so far.

You're not very likely to get an item at all. Either way, you can only have so many bones at the Temple before you can no longer pick them up in dungeons.

You can get anything from consumables to equipment though.

If it's your weapon, yes, but you need to wait for it to cooldown (designated by the solid color inside the X). If that isn't your weapon, you can't.

Got it, thanks. This game is amazing. I have played Vanillaware games in the past and this is the best by far in terms of depth and replayability.

OmegaZero

Is it true that the Amazon and Elf characters become gamebreakingly powerful late game? Do the other classes make up for lesser dps in other ways?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Am I the only one who double taps for dashing? I also switched movement to the d-pad since dashing on the analog is way too unreliable.

You double tapped to dash when using the analog?

RIP.

Analog + Square Dashing all da way.

DY_nasty

Is it true that the Amazon and Elf characters become gamebreakingly powerful late game? Do the other classes make up for lesser dps in other ways?

Haven't heard that at all...

If anything Dwarf has it the easiest imo

It's a very low chance. You can only hold a limited number of bones anyway (and have a limited number of adventurer's at the Tavern)

You're not very likely to get an item at all. Either way, you can only have so many bones at the Temple before you can no longer pick them up in dungeons.

You can get anything from consumables to equipment though.

I don't use Adventurers anyway, so burying them is all they're good for, but I was wondering if maybe there was something else to it. I guess the chance is just that low

Nags

Banned
This game is a timeless classic right out. But I might be a bit bias, I love everything they do.
I seriously want a Vanillaware Castlevania now.

This game is a timeless classic right out.
Its definitely tickling my ohmygosh gland much more than I thought it would.

Once I think I've settled into the groove it throws a new, creative spin on things.

And I can listen to that damn thief all day... love how he pockets anything you leave behind or don't get to in time.

filthy lucre!

Does Adroit Hands, the item cooldown skill, work for the Sorceress's skills?

I'm not sure what I want to put skill points into! D:

So many things seem useful, but I don't think I actually use that many skills when playing . . .

ban25

Having some trouble with the "Delicacy Delivery" quest. I have 2/10 spores, so obviously I missed some, but hopefully I don't have to re-run it 5 times?

Sanctuary

Each evade cancels whatever you're doing and they all keep you airborne. You can tack an impact arrow into each evade as well.

So you're looking at a damage increase. A huge one - since you can essentially fit an impact arrow into each jump and each evade. Keeping you in the air longer and giving you a much easier way of navigating yourself to where your damage is needed. Where you only have 2 maybe 3 shots before, one extra evade gives you 3 easily and more than that if you actually know how to maneuver your way through a proper aerial combo.

Evade is more offensive than defensive.

I see, that's very interesting. It also probably explains why I saw some Elves in multiplayer (while playing my Wizard) seemingly staying up in the air for an eternity firing rapid shots. I just tried it out, and I'm only one extra shot off (unless by "shots" you mean mashing the button each time and getting multiple arrows per shot time), athough I somehow randomly was able to do three at one point. I honestly don't really see the purpose of extra shots for trash though. It's a waste of arrows since rapid fire doesn't just give you extra arrows, it takes them from your quiver count. Evade for extending aerials might be decent, but I use the downward finisher a lot, since it does so much damage. On bosses though, that sounds awesome.

edit: nvm, I need to actually upgrade the evade skill.

Any idea what the power shot skill is for? You start with it, and purchasing the first rank doesn't seem to have any value other than unlocking the later ranks. It says it's damage is 210, yet it only added around 20 to my current (I use Rannie as my dummy).

aborath

Neo Member
Could someone please tell me what I'm supposed to do for the first rune quest? I've gone to the Ancient Temple; have tried every rune wall that I could find (a couple worked), but none updated my quest.

Also, any other wizards annoyed that they put charge and run on the same button? In hectic situations, I'm constantly triggering one when I need the other.

Thanks for the help and tips everyone.

I'm having a blast, but also having a hard time keeping my dwarf under control. When I try and do the eagle dive he'll sometimes fly across the screen, and then slide when he lands. Then it takes a few seconds before I can make him move again. It's super annoying. I died a bunch my first time fighting the beetle bosses because when I was trying to jump dodge their jump attacks and then go into an eagle dive he'd end up flying way too far, and then getting slammed while he was on the ground and I couldn't move him.

Ugh.

Andrew.

Banned
Level 11 Fighter named Martigan and just beat the Doom Beetles. Unlocked the chest with correct color panels and managed to score three A rated items.

The game has me sucked in.

Nags

Banned
Oh jeez, stop making my mouth water.

Castlevania with Norse themes, using a similar rune system, interacting with the environment. It would never happen, but I feel like Vanillaware could make a worthy successor to that series even if done in a more traditional way (not metroidvania). Dragon's Crown is already giving me all sorts of Order of Ecclesia vibes that I can't properly place but it probably has to do with the town.

ToyBroker

Banned
Shit.

Even doing the sidequests, you're gonna be a tad underleveled for the different dungeons.

I did every sidequest so far and was only level 14 and change when I went into the last dungeon (which was rated level 17 according to the boss level under the ?????????????)

Any tips for using the Wizard?

When enemies r down hold square, when they stop moving hold square. soon as youre done attacking hit square. Use teleport (r1) frequently. It's all about magic management, don't pick up weapons unless Its a ranged weapon. Use the magic shot never. Get levitate asap & fast MP recharge as well.

Giolon

Shit.

Even doing the sidequests, you're gonna be a tad underleveled for the different dungeons.

I did every sidequest so far and was only level 14 and change when I went into the last dungeon (which was rated level 17 according to the boss level under the ?????????????)

I was Level 17 by the time I got there, hit level 18 by beating it, but holy jesus that boss still tore the fuck out of my Amazon. It was the first time I ever lost all my LP and had to pay to continue.

aborath

Neo Member
i'm still early lvl9 but i've just been magic shotting and then doing AOE attacks. just to get through normal lol

When enemies r down hold square, when they stop moving hold square. soon as your down attacking hit square. Use teleport (r1) frequently. It's all about magic management, don't pick up weapons unless Its a ranged weapon. Use the magic shot never. Get levitate asap & fast MP recharge as well.

I've actually found the homing shot to be a good option for taking down teleporting mages, and it doesn't use much mana. Do wizards ever get a skill/item that enhances teleportation distance?

ToyBroker

Banned
I was Level 17 by the time I got there, hit level 18 by beating it, but holy jesus that boss still tore the fuck out of my Amazon. It was the first time I ever lost all my LP and had to pay to continue.

The warlock boss is the one that did me in.

Luckily I kept it cool during that boss.

"I'm having a blast, but also having a hard time keeping my dwarf under control. When I try and do the eagle dive he'll sometimes fly across the screen, and then slide when he lands. Then it takes a few seconds before I can make him move again. It's super annoying. I died a bunch my first time fighting the beetle bosses because when I was trying to jump dodge their jump attacks and then go into an eagle dive he'd end up flying way too far, and then getting slammed while he was on the ground and I couldn't move him."

That move is the eagle dive. The fact that you lose control for a few seconds and it's not evade cancellable is all a part of the move. It's honestly not good, and I can't wait to respec and get rid of the point I have in it. Not worth it.

DY_nasty

Another thing with the dagger stuff... It burns through your buffs insanely fast. I'm not even sure if its worth using poison/fire together with the dagger.

Backstab is pretty gdlk though. Its a shame you can't use daggers in the air.
I see, that's very interesting. It also probably explains why I saw some Elves in multiplayer (while playing my Wizard) seemingly staying up in the air for an eternity firing rapid shots. I just tried it out, and I'm only one extra shot off (unless by "shots" you mean mashing the button each time and getting multiple arrows per shot time), athough I somehow randomly was able to do three at one point. I honestly don't really see the purpose of extra shots for trash though. It's a waste of arrows since rapid fire doesn't just give you extra arrows, it takes them from your quiver count. Evade for extending aerials might be decent, but I use the downward finisher a lot, since it does so much damage. On bosses though, that sounds awesome.

edit: nvm, I need to actually upgrade the evade skill.

Any idea what the power shot skill is for? You start with it, and purchasing the first rank doesn't seem to have any value other than unlocking the later ranks. It says it's damage is 210, yet it only added around 20 to my current (I use Rannie as my dummy).
You're talking about Rapid Shot in that first part. I'm talking about Impact Shot. Impact shot is when you hold O in the air and let off an attack at a downward angle that does shockwave damage as well as DoT through poison/fire. When I say shots, I refer to the amount of times you can pull that off. So it would be (in the air) Press O, Hold O, Release -> Evade -> Press O, Hold O, Release -> Evade -> Press O, Hold O, Release -> Jump > so forth. Each Impact Shot carries through enemies and is like a small bomb going off on the ground. Getting 3 into a boss or group of enemies in the same combo is huge - later on, getting chances to unload damage becomes difficult as attack patterns tighten up and opportunities to open enemies up start to become scarce.

Rapid shot is just jamming on the O button. Later on, it has its own merits, but in the early going Impact shot is what you're swinging for.

Power shot is just your neutral O press and hold. Once the power and shockwave increase around level 4/5 or so, you notice a pretty sizable difference in how you'll use it.

ToyBroker

Banned
"I'm having a blast, but also having a hard time keeping my dwarf under control. When I try and do the eagle dive he'll sometimes fly across the screen, and then slide when he lands. Then it takes a few seconds before I can make him move again. It's super annoying. I died a bunch my first time fighting the beetle bosses because when I was trying to jump dodge their jump attacks and then go into an eagle dive he'd end up flying way too far, and then getting slammed while he was on the ground and I couldn't move him."

That move is the eagle dive. The fact that you lose control for a few seconds and it's not evade cancellable is all a part of the move. It's honestly not good, and I can't wait to respec and get rid of the point I have in it. Not worth it.

Same here, it's terrible.

I was waiting to get Frenzy and the Deep Pockets I think (under common) for level 15. Got em both now and loveit.

ToyBroker

Banned
May someone tell me if Dwarf's Frenzy is worth leveling or not?

I just got it and I like it....for now.

You can interrupt the attacks at any time by jumping and evading so at least that's good.

It's infinitely better than the eagle dive for sure.

And second you guys hit 15, make sure you grab deep pockets in the common tree. Gives you another carry slot.

Edit: Damage is less too for the frenzy hits. Seems like 40% less? Maybe more.

Top Bottom