• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

ToyBroker

Banned
So I was wondering, Dwarf has all these awesome grabs and slams...but where the hell is his piledriver/powerbomb/Zangief type of move?

Turns out if you jump directly up (as in straight vertical just hitting X) under a mob in the air, hit up and square, then down and square, he'll do that downward chainsaw move and powerbomb em.

Finalow

I wonder if there is a way to reset all the skill points.

anyway I still miss something "competitive" in the co-op, at least it should show who killed the most or who did the most damage.

maomaoIYP

Which one did you like most and why?

Ones I like: Amazon, Elf. Amazon is a dps monster with plenty of i-frames. Elf starts out weak but ends up with really powerful as she levels.
Ones that I like but might consider not playing anymore: Sorceress, Wizard. Sorceress has a lot of spells that I feel are wasted when playing solo. Wizard's spells lack variety and the best spell is almost impossible to use as a solo player.
That leaves Dwarf, which is too good in my opinion, and thus not fun.
I'm not sure I'll like Fighter as well, he's got lots of skills that are co-op oriented.

h3ro

Just started the game today and I'm going with the Dwarf. Just got 2 skill points, any idea on a good starting point for Skills?

Should I start with the common skills or go right to his melee/bomb tree?

Blue-kun

Got the game today, could only put 2 hours into it due to work related stuff. Anyhow, picked Elf because I was interested in the more versatile melee/ranged combination and so far it's been good fun, even though I'm yet at the "try to air combo but in reality mash buttons and do stuff" phase, lol.

I really, really enjoy the presentation, though. It's not just the graphics themselves, which are gorgeous 2D as expected of Vanillaware, as much as every little detail that's been put into it. I was commenting with a friend on how even the character select screen was pretty funny, with all of the classes together having a good time and you could just hear different lines by them as you cycled through the guys, as if it was... well, if not a real "conversation" (or as close to one as you could have in a bar), at least trying to emulate such. And then the other artistic little tidbits such as the resurrection screens with the little angels and what not, it all blends really well to make for a fascinating experience.

Also, I saw a bunch of people a bit annoyed by the narrator, and while it's true that they could've made some of the objective lines a bit les repetitive, the idea itself is pretty great and adds a ton to the game. It really complements that D&D style-ish they were going for perfectly.

Another thing I'm enjoying, and I imagine this might make the game reaaaaaally long for me is the whole exploration aspect of it, with the hidden items and stuff. I reckon it might be a bit of a pain on the PS3, but with the Vita's touchscreen it's really fun to just search around places for hidden treasure. I find it pretty nice the way they did, seeing as it both rewards you wth items while, at the same time, making it so that you're always paying very close attention to all the breathtaking areas they came up with. So far, at least, I've yet to the feel the urge to just run through things til the next set of enemies, and that's pretty good.

Oh, and lol, I find it midly amusing that you can't actually hit the woman/kid in town (since they dodge) if you try to fight them, but you CAN hit the guy (and get arrested). It's something completely idiotic, but I find myself going to jail all the time because I can't control the urge to give him some good kicks. A shame that I can't make the kid drop that wine, he's too young for that kind of thing (lol).

Anyhow, I'll report back once I get enough time to unlock online. Might take a while, due to all the work I have piling up, but I'll get there. So far, for someone who isn't even all that into beat'em ups, this is a very pleasant surprise.

P.S: Man, posted this in the 'Raise the Flame Shield' thread instead of this one, originally, lol. Had to go and put some sort of remark there instead.

vesp

Now that people have sufficiently played the game, I have to ask:

Has anyone really been bothered by the fact that multiplayer is gated behind your initial run through of all the dungeons?

Pissed me off quite a bit, bought the vita version to play with a friend, we spent an hour getting it installed on both vitas then realized it would be 5+ hours of solo grinding to be able to play together. Goodbye day off.

Hag

so dagger for elf is only good with the backstab skill right?

I'm level 24 right now and my build is Arrow heavy, doing charge shots cancels with evasion in the air and all that. Gonna put more points on boots skills and dagger to see what's up with that. Maybe the updown kick in the air is godlike and I don't know about it lol

oh yeah, the shockwave effect is so shitty in the beginning but clearly it's gonna be so good in later levels. that elf hustle

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wow. Wtf. Gone my whole life thinking it was Step.

It's SNAP.

WTF. I've said STEP instead since the 80s and no one ever noticed.

I HAVE BEEN BETRAYED

DAMN YOU UNIVERSE, YOU WIN....

for now.

I hope a zombie randy savage drops a savage elbow on you tonight whilst you slumber in your bed.

RS4-

Fuck, can't even kill the red dragon. Every time I try to do an online match, it's every map but that one.

So I'm stuck trying to complete it with AI and they're just dying left and right. I take him down to maybe 20-25% but can't finish, have to end up exiting the dungeon because its mandatory.

deadeye

Am I the only one who double taps for dashing? I also switched movement to the d-pad since dashing on the analog is way too unreliable.

I switched to the Dpad as well. it's much better for dashing, and doing the combos that I keep messing up with the analog.

Now that people have sufficiently played the game, I have to ask:

Has anyone really been bothered by the fact that multiplayer is gated behind your initial run through of all the dungeons?

Yup, I'm still mad about that. Wish we had multiplayer from the beginning. I finally got there with my elf, but it sucks have to play solo from the beginning when you start a new character.

Edit: I'm going to start playing in about 15mins. My elf is at level 24. PSN: optictruth. Message me/send a friend request if anyone wants to play.

Astarte

This narrator really needs to stop repeating himself. I mean sure it's a nice gesture, but hearing 'YOU GO TO CLAPLAND TO BUY BURGERS' over and over again is grating.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just got it today.

I've enjoyed what I've played, BUT it seems like there's more potential there to make it a fantastic game instead of above average.

I don't mind the repetitiveness -> It's a fuckin beat em up, what do you expect?
I don't mind the iffy controls -> Takes some getting used to but not too bad
I don't mind the narrator -> Really...they should've toned it down a notch or given him different lines for the same thing

I like the skill systems, the graphics, the music, and the variety of characters you can choose from. I also REALLY did getting bones and getting party members from them.

What I would've liked and would've pushed this game over the top
- I'm not done yet, but more dungeons, more 'branching' paths in areas and not just one roomers.
- Dialogue actually making a difference. It did have an effect on where you went in DnD.

Again, had they just added 'more' of everything, I would've been in love with this game. On the plus side, it gives me something to play on the Vita and it's fantastic on it. No slowdown...yet...

maomaoIYP

I've actually found the homing shot to be a good option for taking down teleporting mages, and it doesn't use much mana. Do wizards ever get a skill/item that enhances teleportation distance?

Nope. But you can teleport multiple times in a row although it's actually less useful as it sounds. Other characters can cancel their first evasion directly into their second, but sorcs and wizards have to finish their first teleport before doing it again immediately.

Mupod

For some reason I keep getting items that reduce all damage by 10-12%...I have four of them equipped right now, I think. Doesn't that kinda, I dunno, make physical and magic resist stats pointless? To say nothing of the demon/dragon/natural damage resist stats.

RobertM

Couple of questions. How do you prevent ai characters from popping up? I don't have much tv realestate (22in monitor) so it's super difivult to see things when there are multiple friendly enemies. When picking another character, why do you start from the beginning?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The tricks to Elf elemental damage are weird. The damage can actually get pretty decent though.
For some reason I keep getting items that reduce all damage by 10-12%...I have four of them equipped right now, I think. Doesn't that kinda, I dunno, make physical and magic resist stats pointless? To say nothing of the demon/dragon/natural damage resist stats.

I'm not sure how it stacks yet, but I'm pretty sure its not at a flat rate.

OSHAN

Couple of questions. How do you prevent ai characters from popping up? I don't have much tv realestate (22in monitor) so it's super difivult to see things when there are multiple friendly enemies. When picking another character, why do you start from the beginning?

To prevent AI characters from jumping in, or anyone for that matter, go to the tavern, and when setting party, toggle the additional slots to "off," or something of the like.

Because the character is level 1, and after you unlock path B, the stages would be too difficult for those characters, since path A gets a difficulty boost.

Unfortunately, there is no way to lower the difficulty of the stages.

I never even heard of this game until a few days ago but I've been watching this thread and twitch streams and just gave in. I just ordered 5 min ago from amazon, it'll be here Friday :D Amazon still claims it comes with an artbook. Not sure if they just forgot to delete that or not. Oh wow, its already in the shipping soon phase, lol.

Alright, I just bought the game. Downloading now.

Ya. This game is good.

Do points do anything for you, other than what I assume are leaderboards or something? My least favorite mechanic of the whole game is searching around with the hand icon for hidden treasure - and I'd rather not do it.

Sallokin

Boss Spoiler (Black Talisman)

Killer Rabbit is hands down the best thing in the game. I don't even know what else to say about it.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Someone PLEASE tell me what Restock means under items and what the number value attached to it is.

Skyzard

Banned
Someone PLEASE tell me what Restock means under items and what the number value attached to it is.

It restocks your supply after you use them in a dungeon or something, next time you go out, you're stocked...until the number runs out.

Not sure if it drops if you don't use them during the dungeon...only just got the game and read it recently.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
It restocks your supply after you use them in a dungeon or something, next time you go out, you're stocked...until the number runs out.

Not sure if it drops if you don't use them during the dungeon...only just got the game and read it recently.

So if you only use 1 potion, it uses 1 restock and 3 uses 3 restocks, etc.?

How do you switch the elf's magic about? Usually have a little tornado that flys across the screen but once when I was fighting ghosts I was shooting fire out of my hand. Is it situation specific?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
An incredible game...

Quick question: Do the crossbow attack stats influence the melee attacks for the elf? If not, any way to upgrade the strength of those melee attacks?

Caerith

How do you switch the elf's magic about? Usually have a little tornado that flys across the screen but once when I was fighting ghosts I was shooting fire out of my hand. Is it situation specific?
I think it defaults to wind but if you're near a fire or in water it will use those elements instead.

An incredible game...

Quick question: Do the crossbow attack stats influence the melee attacks for the elf? If not, any way to upgrade the strength of those melee attacks?
Elf has a skill that increases her kick damage based on the defense stat of your boots.

RobertM

To prevent AI characters from jumping in, or anyone for that matter, go to the tavern, and when setting party, toggle the additional slots to "off," or something of the like.

Because the character is level 1, and after you unlock path B, the stages would be too difficult for those characters, since path A gets a difficulty boost.

Unfortunately, there is no way to lower the difficulty of the stages.
Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom