• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Is it possible to reset skills? Or is it possible to max out skills?

You can reset skills using a one-time item that drops every few levels in the whatsitsname labyrinth. Thing is, they only drop the first time you reach a certain level with each character, so they're limited.

As for whether or not you eventually max all skills, I've been asking for just that without much luck. For one, do you get skill points with level ups, or is it independent?

Edit: Also, regarding the Elf's backstab; you can use the dagger as a melee weapon aside from throwing it, then? Does it decrease in number? (I still don't have the game).

"As for whether or not you eventually max all skills, I've been asking for just that without much luck. For one, do you get skill points with level ups, or is it independent?"

You get skill points with level up, and I don't think it's possible to max all skills simply because skills increase in skill point cost as you level them up.

QP3

This may be really simple as I have only don ea few quests, but how do you set up camp to cook after a dungeon? Can any character do this?

FinKL

I'm torn.

Got to play this at a friends house and would love to play this on the go, except I don't have a Vita.

Do all copies of the game come with the special edition artbook or is it just for first editions?

I'm thinking about just snapping it up on Amazon since it may be limited edition as Amazon says they still offer the artbook and probably buy a Vita down the line.

As for whether or not you eventually max all skills, I've been asking for just that without much luck. For one, do you get skill points with level ups, or is it independent?

You can get skill points by level up (1 per level increase) or from clearing sidequests (most give just 1 but I have cleared a mission that gives out 2, so I can assume there's more that give out more than just 1 point).
This may be really simple as I have only don ea few quests, but how do you set up camp to cook after a dungeon? Can any character do this?

It happens somewhat randomly once you gain the ability to chain multiple dungeons in a run. In a multiple dungeon run it can appear after you clear one before you go on to the next. Any character can do it though.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I was kind of hoping for some class-specific storylines. Like, do any of these characters have any significance to the main plot? I was assuming Vanillaware was going to have some sort of epilogue/ending scenario after all characters were completed (like in Odin Sphere/Muramasa), but maybe they didn't go that route with this game. I'm still way too early to tell, but I'm definitely getting the impression that there's not going to be some final act that ties everything together.

Story is really that big of a deal to you in a game like this? It's a beat em up, not some story-driven cinematic. The "story" is just there as a cushion for all the ass kicking you're going to be (and should be) way more focused on and invested in.

QP3

It happens somewhat randomly once you gain the ability to chain multiple dungeons in a run. In a multiple dungeon run it can appear after you clear one before you go on to the next. Any character can do it though.

Great, sounds liek I am just not far enough yet. Really want to leave work and play! Thank you!

I'm torn.

Got to play this at a friends house and would love to play this on the go, except I don't have a Vita.

Do all copies of the game come with the special edition artbook or is it just for first editions?

I'm thinking about just snapping it up on Amazon since it may be limited edition as Amazon says they still offer the artbook and probably buy a Vita down the line.

they said that first print runs will have it included, but not everyone was as fortunate (stay away from newegg, I hear)

I'm about 3 hours in and so far I haven't seen anything suggesting character specific storylines. Was that whole 6 characters x 20 hour campaigns = 120 total hours thing just marketing babble?

Game owns otherwise, and 20 hours for a single playthrough is more than enough for me, to be honest.
I don't think character specific story-lines are necessary, they are more like symbolic archetypes of fantasy characters.

You can probably just use your imagination.

HT UK

Ugh, mine still hasn't arrived from VGP. Starting to think it could've been lost in the post. Or maybe it's being held up by customs.

Yuterald

Story is really that big of a deal to you in a game like this? It's a beat em up, not some story-driven cinematic. The "story" is just there as a cushion for all the ass kicking you're going to be (and should be) way more focused on and invested in.

No, not really. Really depends on the game. But coming off of their other games, which are arguably very story driven (especially Odin Sphere) I was looking forward to see them weave together another tale. I wouldn't really classify this game as a straight up beat 'em up either. It's definitely a hybrid of sorts. It's way more RPG-ish due to the focus on leveling, learning skills, gather loot, etc. Again, the lack of focus on plot isn't making me like the game any less. It's just that I'm a tad disappointed because I came in expecting something from them that they were clearly not interested in doing. That's all. =D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
4) Sorceress
Pros: Has a very good levitation skill. Lots of coop friendly skills. Can abuse enemy's elemental weaknesses.
Cons: Too little damage dealing spells. Low dps. Poor evasion skill. Requires mana management.
Skill guide:
Levitation, create food, blizzard, rock press, protection. Protection completely eliminates hit stun. Levitation boosts damage from magic attacks cast in air. After an attack using the O button is unleashed, you can immediately use evasion to cancel the recovery animation.

You mention that the Revive Skeleton requires a lot of points to be useful. Do you know if increased levels will only increase the number of Skeletons? Will you also be able to increase the quality of the Skeletons?

Carnby

Ok, I've just cleared all 6 characters on normal. In addition to the general tips here, here's a 5 minute character guide + comparison. The guide parts are spoilered as usual. Keep in mind I only play solo, so my skill recommendations reflect that for certain characters.

How long did it take you for each character?

Another question anyone can answer... Do the choices made in the cut scenes have a real effect on the outcome?

Andrew.

Banned
No, not really. Really depends on the game. But coming off of their other games, which are arguably very story driven (especially Odin Sphere) I was looking forward to see them weave together another tale. I wouldn't really classify this game as a straight up beat 'em up either. It's definitely a hybrid of sorts. It's way more RPG-ish due to the focus on leveling, learning skills, gather loot, etc. Again, the lack of focus on plot isn't making me like the game any less. It's just that I'm a tad disappointed because I came in expecting something from them that they were clearly not interested in doing. That's all. =D

Word. Thanks for explaining yourself. We can now be friends.

maomaoIYP

You mention that the Revive Skeleton requires a lot of points to be useful. Do you know if increased levels will only increase the number of Skeletons? Will you also be able to increase the quality of the Skeletons?
As the level of the skill goes up, both the number and quality go up.
Level 1: 1 skele at 60% of your level
lvl 2: 2 skele at 70%
lvl 3: 2 skele at 80%
lvl 4: 3 skele at 90%
lvl 5: 4 skele at 100%
The total number of skeletons for the entire party is fixed at 4 though. It's a crapload of points to get to level 5, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it; I have it at level 4 now and I still don't find them particularly great.

How long did it take you for each character?

Another question anyone can answer... Do the choices made in the cut scenes have a real effect on the outcome?
It's roughly 20 hours for each character with all sidequests done. I did manage to cut the time down to 10 for my final character the fighter. Partly because he was so easy, and partly because I was familiar enough to know which side quests to do together.
And the answer to the 2nd question is no.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I noticed that some skills have been getting secondary requirements as you level up.

What are the "Air category" and "Ground category" skills, for instance? Where can I find them/how do I level them up?

legbone

So I noticed that some skills have been getting secondary requirements as you level up.

What are the "Air category" and "Ground category" skills, for instance? Where can I find them/how do I level them up?

i think as you cycle through the skills at the adventurer's guild it shows what type of skill it is. it is at the top or bottom of the card. there are air, ground, and supplemental i think. can't remember if supplemental is the right word or not. i'm running off memory here.

Bucca

i think as you cycle through the skills at the adventurer's guild it shows what type of skill it is. it is at the top or bottom of the card. there are air, ground, and supplemental i think. can't remember if supplemental is the right word or not. i'm running off memory here.

You're right, but what determines those levelling up? Just natural levelling progression? I haven't seen a way to actually check those levels other than looking at the cards at the Guild.

I'm starting to realize every player is OP on normal... That the HOOK to this game is going thru it on hard then inferno. The story isn't important, it's old school in that gameplay > everything. It's really all about your build and loot.

The only other thing left (I think), is you can buy powers by leveling up. But they are all books, that can only be used x amount of times in the dungeon. So I guess my question is, is there anything else with this character? Or is it basically the same 3-4 moves being used over and over + spell books?

The Sorceress has the worst skills in my opinion, plus u r only level 12, a lot of skills haven't unlocked yet. The wizard has a lot more spell books and they r way more offensive oriented. Enough so u can build your wizard differently from anyone else.

jorgeton

Is it just me or is the Vita online a little broken? I've only been able to join a handful of games since launch. Could be that not many folks bought the vita version?

Unlike the PS3 version, where we were able to find a bunch of folks to play online with over the weekend.

B path Lost Woods boss spoiler:
Holy shit at the Killer Rabbit, that was amazing lol. And I thought the forest guy looking similar to Tim the enchanter was enough of a Python reference, they actually took the killer rabbit from the same scene and made it the B path boss. Soooooo good

Also

Thank you so much for this, now that part no longer taunts me, gonna do that as soon as I boot the game up again tomorrow.

It's even funnier because in the A route
you take on the Gazer and assume that Tim lied to you about it being the safe route. I've also been thinking the orb you retrieve for Vivian resembles the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Oh, they will have a lot of nice artworks later for you to drool =).

I've found most of the art by SHIGATAKE to be rather... appealing.

"So other than an extra dragon? A palate swap? there's nothing "new" in hard mode, right?"

Hard Mode dungeons have more monsters in them, also some new special versions of monsters with new attacks. I also feel like there may or may not be some secret rooms that weren't available in normal, but it's possible I just didn't pay attention.

I think the items you acquire can gain more exotic effects too. I've come across stuff like
30% of damage you take is dealt to your MP instead
and
+30%score/gold but +30% damage taken and -30%damage dealt.
I think I acquired those items in the
Labyrinth Of Chaos,
though.

Does Adroit Hands, the item cooldown skill, work for the Sorceress's skills?

I'm not sure what I want to put skill points into! D:

So many things seem useful, but I don't think I actually use that many skills when playing . . .

According to what I've read on the Japanese wiki, yes, it does apply to spells (the wizard's, too).

Hag

My first online experience was a 3 elf room lol I really need to play sorc. I just beat the game, time to go Hard mode :3

It's even funnier because in the A route
you take on the Gazer and assume that Tim lied to you about it being the safe route. I've also been thinking the orb you retrieve for Vivian resembles the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Yeah I saw the orb and in my head I counted " '1.. 2.. 5' '3 sir!' '3!' " lol

The narrator repeating my current objective every goddamn fucking time I leave a building is starting to drive me goddamn fucking nuts every goddamn fucking time I hear it goddamn fucking repeated for the goddamn fucking thousandth time.

Even worse when you're side-questing, because it isn't even your current objective.

On the positive side, running solo with two AI seems way more readable during action than running a full team of four. Every little bit helps.

Also saw that you don't have to resurrect all the bones and can bury them instead, which is nice. Sometimes you even get some gifts for putting them to rest. Nice.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The narrator repeating my current objective every goddamn fucking time I leave a building is starting to drive me goddamn fucking nuts every goddamn fucking time I hear it goddamn fucking repeated for the goddamn fucking thousandth time.

Even worse when you're side-questing, because it isn't even your current objective.

On the positive side, running solo with two AI seems way more readable during action than running a full team of four. Every little bit helps.

Also saw that you don't have to resurrect all the bones and can bury them instead, which is nice. Sometimes you even get some gifts for putting them to rest. Nice.

I changed my narrator too.

Carnby

It's roughly 20 hours for each character with all sidequests done. I did manage to cut the time down to 10 for my final character the fighter. Partly because he was so easy, and partly because I was familiar enough to know which side quests to do together.
And the answer to the 2nd question is no.

..boo.

Mupod

Has anyone played around with Amazon's clone skill? I'm hearing it's pretty good, but I have barely touched her 'active' skills.

Which may more may not be due to the fact that I only just now found out about shortcuts. Although I really don't understand why L2/R2 couldn't just be 'use item' buttons, as someone who uses the d-pad for movement. Just having them go unused is really dumb.

Andrew.

Banned
I changed my narrator too.

Yeah but it's not like changing the narrative voice reduces the annoyance of hearing the same objective repeated to you over and over. You'll just end up growing to dislike the alternate voices as well.

I wonder if this is something that can or will be disabled through a patch in the future..

Bucca

Has anyone played around with Amazon's clone skill? I'm hearing it's pretty good, but I have barely touched her 'active' skills.

Which may more may not be due to the fact that I only just now found out about shortcuts. Although I really don't understand why L2/R2 couldn't just be 'use item' buttons, as someone who uses the d-pad for movement. Just having them go unused is really dumb.

Most likely cause they wanted to keep it the same as the Vita controls. Back touchpad on vita for this game sounds like a nightmare.

If there's one thing i'm hating about online right now is that everyone is scared to move for some reason. At first i thought it was my internet connection or something, but i was full 3 bars. I went into 3 different online matches and everytime we kill the wave of enemies, the staring game begins. The "who's going to move onto the next area and be the leader" game. Not to mention that I always feel horrible when i move onto the next area because I feel like I'm pushing the end of the level too fast or something. Like I'm not giving everyone a chance to find secrets that i might not see.

I know that you should search around for secrets and stuff, but this is in every single new room that this happens. Even in ones that I know for sure doesn't have secrets.

I'll deal with online later, for now I'll just roll with the AI as partners.

ttocs

If there's one thing i'm hating about online right now is that everyone is scared to move for some reason. At first i thought it was my internet connection or something, but i was full 3 bars. I went into 3 different online matches and everytime we kill the wave of enemies, the staring game begins. The "who's going to move onto the next area and be the leader" game. Not to mention that I always feel horrible when i move onto the next area because I feel like I'm pushing the end of the level too fast or something. Like I'm not giving everyone a chance to find secrets that i might not see.

I know that you should search around for secrets and stuff, but this is in every single new room that this happens. Even in ones that I know for sure doesn't have secrets.

I'll deal with online later, for now I'll just roll with the AI as partners.

That's what I have been doing and the game is really fun with the AI. Although, they tend to just stand around and stare as well after battles.

antitrop

Yeah but it's not like changing the narrative voice reduces the annoyance of hearing the same objective repeated to you over and over. You'll just end up growing to dislike the alternate voices as well.

I wonder if this is something that can or will be disabled through a patch in the future..
You head to the ancient temple ruins at Lucain's behest. There, you need to animate statues using ruuuuuunnneee magic.

You head to the ancient temple ruins at Lucain's behest. There, you need to animate statues using ruuuuuunnneee magic.

Iskander

Neo Member

Could be worse - it could be:

"THEY'RE MASTERWORKS ALL, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG"

...Also, is it true that you have to unlock online with each character separately? Mildly annoying if so.

Darkone

3 Hours in and WOW, what a game, after all these years to play a good old beat em-up its a dream come true, here is hoping for a sequel and more games like this one.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
~Lv. 54 Wizard now. Need more bags and S equipment so I can never go back to town.

Also really glad I got Extinction. Storm is trash and sad I wasted a few points on that skill.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ugh, mine still hasn't arrived from VGP. Starting to think it could've been lost in the post. Or maybe it's being held up by customs.

Same here, also ordered from VG+.
I'm hoping for delivery one day at a time.
However I don't believe it was lost, I too think it might be the customs being slow with sticking a simple label on the package to forward it.

antitrop

3 Hours in and WOW, what a game, after all these years to play a good old beat em-up its a dream come true, here is hoping for a sequel and more games like this one.
Yes, it's perfectly addressing an itch I completely forgot I was even scratching.

Finalow

I'd really like a guide about all the items abilities, couldn't find anything.

~Lv. 54 Wizard now. Need more bags and S equipment so I can never go back to town.

Also really glad I got Extinction. Storm is trash and sad I wasted a few points on that skill.
wait, it is? I put 3 points on that, and blaze. how's extinction good if you just kill off one (maybe 2-3 at higher levels?) mob.

So I just finished my first runthrough of the game and I'm not sure if I quite got the flow of Amazon just yet. Without berserk, her ground attacks just feel incredibly slow, and doing airborne spins doesn't build up berserk all too quickly in my experience.

Any suggestion on how to get her going quicker? It feels by the time I've actually built some momentum I've cleared the area and cool down before reaching the next encounter.

Do the quests get longer as you go?

I think I'm spending far more time identifying items, checking equipment, resurrecting, burying, repairing, accepting / turning in quests, spending skill points and running around town than I am actually questing.

I appreciate the bite-sized quests at first but would really like to see some longer, more involved dungeons. Just reached level 15 with my Knight to give you an idea of how far I'm in.

antitrop

Probably been asked a thousand times but...

Vita or PS3 version?
I'm loving the Vita version, it's the perfect system to play this game on, but the slowdown is extremely pervasive. Doesn't really affect gameplay, just annoying.

I like grabbing my Vita when I'm bored and just running through a dungeon, then putting it back next to my keyboard.

I knew I shouldn't have payed for those expensive runes. I used to be filled with gold and could purchase anything, now I'm broke most of the time. I used to have around 20000G and now I have like 2000G.

I'm ashamed of myself now. Hopefully these expensive runes were worth it.

Top Bottom