• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

eshwaaz

Looking forward to diving in this weekend. I plan on playing solo - any characters I should avoid if I don't want a frustrating experience/tons of grinding? I'm leaning towards Elf, but opinions here seem very divided. Already bookmarked some of the strategies/build suggestions in this thread.

Thanks abunch guys.....also have one more question, so when you get loot is it shared between every character you create on the same save file? or is each characters gear and loot keep separate?
I haven't made another character to accurately answer this, but I'm assuming loot is shared because you can find loot that is exclusive to different classes.

JokerAceX

Looking forward to diving in this weekend. I plan on playing solo - any characters I should avoid if I don't want a frustrating experience/tons of grinding? I'm leaning towards Elf, but opinions here seem very divided. Already bookmarked some of the strategies/build suggestions in this thread.

what i would recommend is what i did, just make one of each character and play through their tutorial level to see what play style you like the most, but for the most part none of the characters are too hard to jump into.

Kaibutsu

I can honestly say I've had more fun playing this game than any other game I've played all year. It's fantastic. Anyone passing on this is seriously missing out.

So what kind of build is the Elf supposed to be over-powered? I'm at a low-level but I find her kind of lacking so far. I must be doing it wrong :(

A good strategy would be to set up an aerial combo like this one:

1.Jump in, kick a couple times
2. then fire an arrow (charged up)
3. evade cancel left or right while still in the air, fire another arrow (charge up)
4. repeat for as many times as you can*

High level Impact Arrows will give greater AOE and high level Clone Strikes adds more arrows to your attacks, so you can hit multiple enemies for massive damage
*if you level up the evasion skill, then you can evade cancel your attacks into more attacks more often and create a longer combo string.

This is what I've been doing, but I'm only level 15 right now not too far in the game; haven't unlocked multi. I'm sure there's more/better strats involved, but for now this is working for me. I don't die too much, and if I get overwhelmed, I double jump and evade my way to the other side of the screen, shoot some arrows, then try to set up for the aerial combo.

Andrew.

Banned
Made it to lvl 13 last night with the Fighter and havent even touched Stage 4 yet. Knowing the correct color pattern for the tile room with the chest helps a ton as its an easy A treasure most of the time.

Been burying most of the peeps I find and managed to score the trophy for not getting hit during a round. Best done in Stage 2 since you can ride the sabertooth panther the entire time.

The Fighter is such a fucking juggernaut man. Basically the complete opposite type of character Id use for this game (I really wanted to go with the Elf but pulled a Yeezus) and Im having a blast with him. His in-air juggles and mid-air sword spin are crazy good, plus with a decent shield you're basically an unmovable rock.

maomaoIYP

I've seen one elf. It's nothing but amazons for days and the occasional sorc for me.

What sorc spellbooks are decent? I've been kinda not taking any.

Protection, rock press, blizzard, create food.
Protection eliminates all hit stun. I don't like the rest of her spells.

ys45

How did you guys figured out the color combination for the chest room ?
Tried many combination with my GF yesterday but just gave up -_-

Iskander

Neo Member
Wanted to start with Sorceress but my friend rolled Wizard so I figured a melee class would complement him better, so it's Amazon for my first run-through. Loving the game so far - I thought I didn't like "loot games" but it turns out I just had to find the right one!

Question about the Amazon's parry: how exactly do you activate it? It seems to be a "perfect guard" type of thing, where you block just before you get hit (this is supported by the poorly-worded skill description), but I'm not sure yet.

Andrew.

Banned

FellowGaFfers

red, yellow, dark blue, purple

The answer is actually given to you in-game later on, but knowing it early and getting the spoils/treasures definitely have helped me.

Tried many combination with my GF yesterday but just gave up -_-

I haven't gotten to this part yet, but apparently later on in the game there's a side quest involving that chest and you learn the color combo then. But since people are saying what the colors are, you can go right ahead and open it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I've seen one elf. It's nothing but amazons for days and the occasional sorc for me.

I actually prefer amazon teammates since they can go nuts even at low levels and deal good damage. Elves need to be more high level and more competent before doing that kind of damage.

ys45

I haven't gotten to this part yet, but apparently later on in the game there's a side quest involving that chest and you learn the color combo then. But since people are saying what the colors are, you can go right ahead and open it.

Oh OK , so I'm glad to see i did not miss something earlier.

Thanks !

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm, maybe I should throw more points into Protection. I've been putting points into Necromancy just because I like the idea of a Skeleton Warrior mob.

What's good about Rock Press?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Level 38 Wizard now. Dropping storm for extinction was kind of a good idea, but I keep forgetting to use it during levels as I'm used to saving all my spells for bosses but extinction is useless there.

maomaoIYP

Hmm, maybe I should throw more points into Protection. I've been putting points into Necromancy just because I like the idea of a Skeleton Warrior mob.

What's good about Rock Press?

Single hit, huge ass rock, good damage. Also, her only other real offensive spell is that thunder cloud spell, which I find unreliable.

Raist

Banned
Like the game so far (started with a wiz) but a couple of things are missed opportunities:

- MP charge on Square. Why? :( It's already messy to have slide, dash and regular attacks mapped to square IMO, but the charge for the Wiz/Sorc makes it even worse. I guess that's a fair enough limitation for Vita, but the PS3 version could benefit from the extra buttons. L2 isn't used, and R1 and R2 are dupes...
Some controller customization beyond swapping D-Pad/L stick would have been nice, especially for this kind of game.

- The whole party thing in SP seems rather unpolished. Would be cool to be able to change allies' equipment. Also unless I'm missing something it's rather annoying to have to reform the party after every single dungeon run.

Also, I wish the narrator would stop repeating the same fucking thing over and over again in town every time you exit a building :p

Anyway, I'm 4h in, haven't had a chance to try MP yet but I'm assuming it's fun. I really like the wiz gameplay, there are some good opportunities for neat combos, especially with a lightning staff.

And I think I missed something re. rune stuff, because After Lucain explained it and I got the fairy, I still seemingly can't do anything with runes scattered across levels. Is it only actually unlocking later?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Single hit, huge ass rock, good damage. Also, her only other real offensive spell is that thunder cloud spell, which I find unreliable.

I put a few points into Thunder Cloud. Is it random or does it just have bad tracking? The description reminded me of Diablo II Sorceress, so I instinctively grabbed it.

No Love

Banned
Dwarf is way overpowered... the amount of damage he deals to multiple enemies is ridiculous. And being able to throw EVERYTHING... crazy stuff. So much fun though! I really hope things get a lot more challenging on the other difficulty levels.

b0neshank

Banned
Love the Dwarf. Flying around all over the screen, body slamming shit and throwing things. Wish I could trade the 1handers for a big ass 2handed hammer though.

Moofers

LVL 17 Amazon now (Vita version) and I'm loving it as much as ever. I was worried I'd get tired of repeating the levels, but the side-quests are interesting and varied enough that its staying fresh. I just love playing it, really.

Started a couple new characters, but was bummed to see the tutorial is mandatory for them. Wasn't quite in the mood yet, so I went back to Amazon. She's really kicking ass with all her crazy air-combos. I can't wait to impress my friend who insisted on playing Sorceress. He says he really likes her, but he hasn't played with anyone yet so he has no idea what a good Amazon player will look like. I think he's going to be impressed with how much it looks like Marvel vs Capcom. LOL

I think Elf is calling my name after Amazon. I did make a Dwarf named "Backrubs" and all his quotes are about him forcing himself on the enemy, but as hilarious as that is, the combo madness of the Amazon has whet my appetite beyond curiosity for the Elf. Gotta get into that cancel-fest!

"Continues" seem hella cheap (cost-wise) in this game. Kinda hoping you don't get them in Hard.
You run out of gold pretty fast later, though.
The game is really easy early on, so you could learn the basics. Later you can't coin feed through. Anyway need some S rank mantle. :/

Binabik15

50 for Vita, 70 for PS3 to preorder from Amazon Germany. Yikes. Marketplace peeps sell the US PS3 version for 50 plus 5 for shipping.

I want this game, preferably both versions, but not for more then I spend on the last douen Steam games I bought ;_;

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think it's completely random, that's why I dropped it in favor of rock press.

Yeah, that seems silly. If I had known it was random, I wouldn't have thrown point into it.

I've been focusing on Create Food, Necromancy, Blizzard, Evasion, and MP boosting skills. I have 1 point in Protection, but I might go more.

I'm level 16 and have like 10 hours. Just unlocked the stables. Do I have much longer before multiplayer is unlocked?

I think it's now unlocked. Head towards the gate and you should see a prompt.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, I think I'll start over on my Dwarf now that I have a good idea of things. I think I've spread his skills too far out in the beginning.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Ok cool. The trophy for donating 100k in prayers seems much more feasible now.

Sorry for huge pic but

LNFq13C.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
I got the trophy just for resurrecting bones.

Yeah thats what Im working on now. Basically storing up bone piles and only keeping a high level Sorc and Elf with me. Still gonna take a little while though.

What is the deal with resurrecting a companion with a Life Point? What are those?

Top Bottom