• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I love the game, but a few things confuse me.

1) when you die playing and you come back with life points (how do you obtain those?)
2) I cant grasp the appraise versus sell feature, and when is the best time to upgrade.
3) the narrator can get a bit long winded, and Ithink its because he tells the story from this dungeons and dragons viewpoint instead of characters talking to each other.
4)skills??? I am putting points everywhere, and I know I am not doing it right..

any pointers? Thanks for any help!

RS4-

Anyone want to help me beat this stupid red dragon.

psn: resonating

bah I'll try killing him in the treasure room or at least do enough damage before heading to the hallway

Hey. I was a kid. He was the Macho Man. It didn't have to make sense to me. It was the 80s, man. Lotta stuff got a pass....

anyway, i'll redeem myself when i unlock coop online soon. My dwarf shall channel the Slim Jim once again.

forge76

Now that's the spirit!

Ooooooooo yeahhhhhhhh!

1) when you die playing and you come back with life points (how do you obtain those?)
2) I cant grasp the appraise versus sell feature, and when is the best time to upgrade.
3) the narrator can get a bit long winded, and I think its because he tells the story from this dungeons and dragons viewpoint instead of characters talking to each other.
4)skills??? I am putting points everywhere, and I know I am not doing it right..

1) LPs are sometimes gained after reaching a certain amount of points in a dungeon (like in other arcade games). I died once, but got an EXTEND message a bit later, and me and my team of NPCs got an extra life.
2) My suggestion is to (according to a tip I found online) appraise the gear with double "??", representing a higher stat and/or lines of "?s" at the bottom, representing a buff or resistance. Sell regular gear without the lines of "?s". When ready to upgrade, switch to gears with stronger attack/defence and boosts.
3) I think that's how it is until you finish the game with a specific character.
4) Most skills are passive and will work alongside your current moves or gain a health boost when eating food found in crates.

QP3

This is a pretty heavy loot game, and aso far it doesnt seem that money will end up being an issue (correct me if I am wrong). So, I have tended to appraise all items B, A and S. Most of the lower rank stuff I tend to just sell.

Funny story, last night I had an S rank necklace. I saw it had about 5 rows of question marks (indicating a lot of effects). I accidentally hit triangle and sold it instead of appraising it. :/

Qvoth

This is a pretty heavy loot game, and aso far it doesnt seem that money will end up being an issue (correct me if I am wrong). So, I have tended to appraise all items B, A and S. Most of the lower rank stuff I tend to just sell.

Funny story, last night I had an S rank necklace. I saw it had about 5 rows of question marks (indicating a lot of effects). I accidentally hit triangle and sold it instead of appraising it. :/

yeah, for a loot game to not have the option to buyback really hurts

Finalow

Even at Lv40 I'm leveling up really fast. The prayers + score bonus during cooking are +++
how do you even cook?
I mean, I spam L1 or X to drag the ingredients but I have to click on it 10 times in order to pick it. not sure if it's a problem of lag, of the game or I'm just doing it wrong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Even at Lv40 I'm leveling up really fast. The prayers + score bonus during cooking are +++

Is there a guide to cooking? I'm getting pretty good bonuses, +12% overall or so, but it'd be nice to know specifically what different types of food do and which spices/sauces add bonuses for certain things.

I'd definitely like to go for Score Bonuses when cooking.

george_us

Thank God I downloaded the PS Vita from PSN since UPS is saying I won't even have my PS3 copy until Friday. This is with me having the game pre-ordered since fucking May.

JokerAceX

50 for Vita, 70 for PS3 to preorder from Amazon Germany. Yikes. Marketplace peeps sell the US PS3 version for 50 plus 5 for shipping.

I want this game, preferably both versions, but not for more then I spend on the last douen Steam games I bought ;_;

you could try digital downloads

Dinjooh

Just got home and currently installing this game. The Artbook is waaay higher quality than I expected - I thought i'd flip through it once and trash it, but this might just be worthy of a drawer underneath the bed.

No Love

Banned
LVL 17 Amazon now (Vita version) and I'm loving it as much as ever. I was worried I'd get tired of repeating the levels, but the side-quests are interesting and varied enough that its staying fresh. I just love playing it, really.

Started a couple new characters, but was bummed to see the tutorial is mandatory for them. Wasn't quite in the mood yet, so I went back to Amazon. She's really kicking ass with all her crazy air-combos. I can't wait to impress my friend who insisted on playing Sorceress. He says he really likes her, but he hasn't played with anyone yet so he has no idea what a good Amazon player will look like. I think he's going to be impressed with how much it looks like Marvel vs Capcom. LOL

I think Elf is calling my name after Amazon. I did make a Dwarf named "Backrubs" and all his quotes are about him forcing himself on the enemy, but as hilarious as that is, the combo madness of the Amazon has whet my appetite beyond curiosity for the Elf. Gotta get into that cancel-fest!

FYI if you press Start in the tutoral you can skip it.

Andrew.

Banned
Just got home and currently installing this game. The Artbook is waaay higher quality than I expected - I thought i'd flip through it once and trash it, but this might just be worthy of a drawer underneath the bed.

Are you kidding? Jesus man.

My only gripe with the game so far, I wish they gave the other players some kind of mini game (playing local coop) while one person is fidgeting with their inventory/skills.

Raist

Banned
Being able to slide away easily while charging is great

Wouldn't be harder if charge was mapped to L2 and Slide to R2 for instance :p

50 for Vita, 70 for PS3 to preorder from Amazon Germany. Yikes. Marketplace peeps sell the US PS3 version for 50 plus 5 for shipping.

I want this game, preferably both versions, but not for more then I spend on the last douen Steam games I bought ;_;

Just get it form the US PSN, cheapest and fastest option.

Qvoth

so S rank is the highest level of equipment?
or is there like a legendary level of equipments? those with a specific "name" for example

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
how do you even cook?
I mean, I spam L1 or X to drag the ingredients but I have to click on it 10 times in order to pick it. not sure if it's a problem of lag, of the game or I'm just doing it wrong.

You can just click and then point into a pot, you don't really need to drag it. Might be lag but sometimes it just won't go into the pot or you didn't stir it I guess.

Is there a guide to cooking? I'm getting pretty good bonuses, +12% overall or so, but it'd be nice to know specifically what different types of food do and which spices/sauces add bonuses for certain things.

I don't think there's a guide yet. I'm hoping there isn't one so people don't just hog the best items :v

Also zawa, 620k Exp.

EHmcoSk.png

Hmm also just got a rod that shoots 5 magic missiles instead of 3. Pretty cool but I don't really use it.

Glowing/blinking stuff is better than stuff with the same rank. Someone mentioned SS and even SSS rank equipment afair.
Level cap depends on your difficulty but overall it's 99.

maomaoIYP

Always cook until it can't be cooked no more. Add spices for higher score.
I play solo so I cook 3 things simultaneously, I consistently get about +300-400 Hp, +20-30% for the rest. I once broke the 50K score for cooking and got the trophy as well, but I have no idea what I did that round.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just a curiosity, how are the trophies? Are they hard? Are there multiplayer trophies? Are they grindy?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Always cook until it can't be cooked no more. Add spices for higher score.
I play solo so I cook 3 things simultaneously, I consistently get about +300-400 Hp, +20-30% for the rest. I once broke the 50K score for cooking and got the trophy as well, but I have no idea what I did that round.

Cook until it can't be cooked anymore? You don't have to worry about burning?

Yeah, every time I've been cooking, it's been with a full party, so only one pot at a time for me.

"So other than an extra dragon? A palate swap? there's nothing "new" in hard mode, right?"

Hard Mode dungeons have more monsters in them, also some new special versions of monsters with new attacks. I also feel like there may or may not be some secret rooms that weren't available in normal, but it's possible I just didn't pay attention.

This game took a million USD to make and is better than a lot of AAA games out there, keep that in mind.

maomaoIYP

Ok, I've just cleared all 6 characters on normal. In addition to the general tips here, here's a 5 minute character guide + comparison. The guide parts are spoilered as usual. Keep in mind I only play solo, so my skill recommendations reflect that for certain characters.

1) Fighter
Pros: Has the fastest basic 4 hit combo (almost as fast as Amazon with full berserk status). He has the strongest base melee damage too. Gets auto block. Button mash friendly. Can cause stun on bosses. Can block after power smash.
Cons: Skills tailored mostly for cooperation. Kind of too easy to play. No triple jump animation.
Skill guide:
Reflex guard, bash, tempest edge. Bash gives i-frames just enough for his 4 hit combo. You can beat normal just buy mashing square and doing bash occasionally. No need for jump combos etc.

2) Amazon
Pros: Has the most moves with i-frames. Great air combo capability. Probably has the highest dps.
Cons: Basic movement and attack speed is slow, until she goes berserk. After power smash her melee becomes fast, but damage is low and she can't block.
Skill guide:
Parry, brandish, berserk, punisher. Parry and brandish gives lots of i-frames. Brandish also gives more spins per level, each spin is delayable, and the direction can be changed mid combo.

3) Dwarf
Pros: Takes the least damage. Has the best power smash, and can easily take down flying enemies and those that cannot be easily launched or knocked down. Can boost unarmed damage.
Cons: Melee combo range and speed aren't so good. Air attacks are kind of bad. Cannot block. Recovery animations for certain moves are slow.
Skill guide:
Power bomb, grand smash. Grand smash gives lightning elemental to the power smash. The power smash is multi-hit and you're completely invincible during the whole animation. Since the animation is long, you can use it to escape all sorts of nasty enemy attacks. After power smashing, just throw things until you can power smash again.

4) Sorceress
Pros: Has a very good levitation skill. Lots of coop friendly skills. Can abuse enemy's elemental weaknesses.
Cons: Too little damage dealing spells. Low dps. Poor evasion skill. Requires mana management.
Skill guide:
Levitation, create food, blizzard, rock press, protection. Protection completely eliminates hit stun. Levitation boosts damage from magic attacks cast in air. After an attack using the O button is unleashed, you can immediately use evasion to cancel the recovery animation.

5) Wizard
Pros: Has the most powerful spell. Lots of useful attack spells.
Cons: Levitation skill is too slow compared to the sorceress. Poor evasion skill. Requires mana management. Meteor swarm has a 10 second start up.
Skill guide:
Levitation, blaze, storm. Levitation boosts damage from magic attacks cast in air. Hold X and down to cancel the floating animation. After an attack using the O button is unleashed, you can immediately use evasion to cancel the recovery animation. When playing solo meteor swarm can actually be used against certain bosses as long as you can pre-cast it before they appear.

6) Elf
Pros: The fastest character. Has the least amount of recovery time after most animations. Gets very powerful at higher levels. Arrow management is mostly negligible.
Cons: Most amount of skill required to master. Very weak melee attacks.
Skill guide:
Power shot, impact arrow, clone strikes. The first three skills combined makes crouched power shots a boss/mob killer.

nded

I'm about 3 hours in and so far I haven't seen anything suggesting character specific storylines. Was that whole 6 characters x 20 hour campaigns = 120 total hours thing just marketing babble?

Game owns otherwise, and 20 hours for a single playthrough is more than enough for me, to be honest.

Mononoke

Banned
I was wondering, does this game open up a bit more move wise as you level up? I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed so far with the gameplay. Maybe I expected too much out of this game. Maybe I'm not even playing the game correctly. But currently I'm using Sorceress Elf. With Sorceress you only have 4 moves. Down + Circle which does a floor sweep spell. Up + Circle which does a rising spell (so for wind, it's a hurricane. For fire it's a fire geyser. Right + Circle shoots out whatever elements you are using. And then of course, you can jump in the air and press circle (I noticed the electricity wand opens up a big storm).

But basically, all the wands do the same kind of moves (obviously some elements are better against certain enemies). And then your default square is just her zap/hitting with the wand. Or jumping in the air and holding does the homing missile magic attack.

The only other thing left (I think), is you can buy powers by leveling up. But they are all books, that can only be used x amount of times in the dungeon. So I guess my question is, is there anything else with this character? Or is it basically the same 3-4 moves being used over and over + spell books?

Elf is just hard (granted, I'm still early level with her. Level 6, Sorceress level 12).

Yuterald

About 6 hours in, haven't unlocked the ability to play online yet. Playing as Dwarf and the game feels tight, looks great, of course. Haven't played it enough yet to make a clear judgement of the game. Don't really have much to complain about. Music is great, of course. I'm not blown away by soundtrack yet, but Canaan Temple is definitely my favorite piece in the game.

One thing that I'm a little disappointed with is the narrator. As appropriate as it is for the game, I really wish the characters had voices. Something about it just disconnects me from the game, it's hard to describe. I actually loved Odin Sphere's voice acting and thought the script was great.

I'm about 3 hours in and so far I haven't seen anything suggesting character specific storylines. Was that whole 6 characters x 20 hour campaigns = 120 total hours thing just marketing babble?

Game owns otherwise, and 20 hours for a single playthrough is more than enough for me, to be honest.

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I was kind of hoping for some class-specific storylines. Like, do any of these characters have any significance to the main plot? I was assuming Vanillaware was going to have some sort of epilogue/ending scenario after all characters were completed (like in Odin Sphere/Muramasa), but maybe they didn't go that route with this game. I'm still way too early to tell, but I'm definitely getting the impression that there's not going to be some final act that ties everything together.

taoofjord

Can someone explain the concept of the level design to me in this game? Aside from the fact that it has none and is just a sequence of open arenas, one after the other, why didn't they randomize the levels? Or do they once you get further in?

They should have made like 20-30 backgrounds per level with each background having multiple configurations and then each time you play a level you only see about 8-10 of them.

alright the lust for this game is foaming out of my mouth but it's just this one game

so

should i get nvidia shield or ps vita/dragon crown

i don't know its hurting my head i need help on which one to dive into.

Top Bottom