• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
wait, it is? I put 3 points on that, and blaze. how's extinction good if you just kill off one (maybe 2-3 at higher levels?) mob.

Blaze I haven't used but storm is just too weak past early levels. Even for crowd damage you're better off just using normal wand abilities.

I thought extinction would be bad as well I'm like why are some higher level JP Wizards using it, but in higher difficulties and especially solo it's great. The blast radius is pretty big as well. I end up using it when there are multiples of those glowing skeletons in the room and poof ~

StayDead

Well hard is certainly a step up difficulty wise, everything is like 5 levels higher than me on the A-routes and I can't seem to connect to anyone anymore T_T

LuuKyK

Do you ever maximize your skills? If yes at which level? I mean, both the your-class abilities and the common ones.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Do you ever maximize your skills? If yes at which level? I mean, both the your-class abilities and the common ones.

It tells you the max level for the skill at the bottom of the screen. 2/5, 6/10, etc.

Finalow

Blaze I haven't used but storm is just too weak past early levels. Even for crowd damage you're better off just using normal wand abilities.

I thought extinction would be bad as well I'm like why are some higher level JP Wizards using it, but in higher difficulties and especially solo it's great. The blast radius is pretty big as well. I end up using it when there are multiples of those glowing skeletons in the room and poof ~
oh, you're getting info from some pr0 JP player videos. tell me more.
I'm going to level up extinction but not sure what else, levitation for the 50% maybe? Thunderbolt seems shitty as meteor storm.

Friggz

admittedly i havent really followed this game at all. I did a check on youtube for gameplay, and noticed how much it looked like odin sphere. is gameplay similar?

DY_nasty

Oh, yeah, but I mean, like, all the skills... can you reach max level for all of them? Or is there a limit.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to max all skills as the more you level up a skill the more skill points are required to reach the next level.

LuuKyK

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to max all skills as the more you level up a skill the more skill points are required to reach the next level.

Yeah, thats what I was imagining, might be more careful choosing my skills from now on :p ... Oh well. Thanks anyway.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
oh, you're getting info from some pr0 JP player videos. tell me more.
I'm going to level up extinction but not sure what else, levitation for the 50% maybe? Thunderbolt seems shitty as meteor storm.

Haha not really getting much info, more like 'saw it in some videos and questioned why until I tried it'.

Thunderbolt is great! It's really powerful and casts pretty quickly. I also have meteor storm as well and while it does sort of suck, it makes some bosses a bit easier.

Levitation I maxed yeah. The jumping light circle attacks where the balls of fire/ice/lightning get shot diagonally downwards are really good. I think that's how I mostly attack.

Waiting for my copy to come tomorrow. I have no friends who play this but I really want to play the Sorc. Is she as bad as I hear for solo play? I'll probably play online with strangers once I get the hang of the game.

RedSwirl

So you can start a new character and class in the middle of your game? I guess you just grind them up by bringing them to earlier areas.

Now online play is getting fun.

I'm getting in games with smarter people, and everyone thinking tactically against bosses. There was no standing around staring at each other to see who does the first move, nope everyone was pushing forward together. If their was secrets in a room, then someone would usually stay back signaling with the pointer that there's treasure behind us.

I hope I get more online games like that because it was super fun.

Quixzlizx

I have been thinking about going home and playing all day. I'm still not that great yet, but I'm getting the hang of it. I made a fool of the minotaur before going to bed last night. As #teamElf, sometimes I feel unstoppable when I get the evade-cancel juggles going forever, and sometimes I screw them up and do roughly 30 damage and get hammered, haha.

I don't see how running out of arrows will ever be a problem. Kicking combos are too fun to go arrow-only, even if it isn't super-effective all the time.

Joined a game that was all knights. It was a laggy mess but at least there were no amazons or elves.

Racist.

Giolon

Do the quests get longer as you go?

I think I'm spending far more time identifying items, checking equipment, resurrecting, burying, repairing, accepting / turning in quests, spending skill points and running around town than I am actually questing.

I appreciate the bite-sized quests at first but would really like to see some longer, more involved dungeons. Just reached level 15 with my Knight to give you an idea of how far I'm in.

Once you reach the point that multiplayer opens up, you'll have to option to keep adventuring after you beat a location. Each time you keep going, your loot quality chance and gold rewards go up, but you're continuing with the remaining durability and items you have in your pack so it gets progressively more difficult by attrition. You'll have to ability to purchase multiple bags and when you get to the branching path on each location you can choose which bag of gear to equip. It's really a lot of fun to keep going and chain several locations together. It flows pretty well. You ID all your items when you finally decide to go back to town.

On a separate note, I'm really impressed at the drop-in/drop-out support of co-op on this game. I like the fact that you can pretty seamlessly just start adventuring with NPCs, have real players drop-in or drop-out at any time and have AI just take over if someone leaves. It's pretty fantastic and makes me feel like there's no reason anyone would want to play offline (excepting specific quest objectives like soloing bosses).

ScOULaris

Once you reach the point that multiplayer opens up, you'll have to option to keep adventuring after you beat a location. Each time you keep going, your loot quality chance and gold rewards go up, but you're continuing with the remaining durability and items you have in your pack so it gets progressively more difficult by attrition. You'll have to ability to purchase multiple bags and when you get to the branching path on each location you can choose which bag of gear to equip. It's really a lot of fun to keep going and chain several locations together. It flows pretty well. You ID all your items when you finally decide to go back to town.

On a separate note, I'm really impressed at the drop-in/drop-out support of co-op on this game. I like the fact that you can pretty seamlessly just start adventuring with NPCs, have real players drop-in or drop-out at any time and have AI just take over if someone leaves. It's pretty fantastic and makes me feel like there's no reason anyone would want to play offline (excepting specific quest objectives like soloing bosses).

I've been waiting to unlock the ability to have multiple bags. Does that come around the same time as unlocking online multiplayer?

Finalow

Haha not really getting much info, more like 'saw it in some videos and questioned why until I tried it'.

Thunderbolt is great! It's really powerful and casts pretty quickly. I also have meteor storm as well and while it does sort of suck, it makes some bosses a bit easier.

Levitation I maxed yeah. The jumping light circle attacks where the balls of fire/ice/lightning get shot diagonally downwards are really good. I think that's how I mostly attack.
uh, ok guess I'll go with Thunderbolt as well. I didn't think it was any good since it didn't much damage and the range is pretty small.

anyway, yes, I guess that's the only attack you can do with levitation? Small balls of fire/ice/lightning or a bigger one if you charge it.

AEREC

Would really like to see new skins as DLC. Possibly the other version on each characters skill cards. Old Sorceress with saggy/deflated boobs would be funny.

Once you reach the point that multiplayer opens up, you'll have to option to keep adventuring after you beat a location.
Outside of the Labyrinth of Chaos you mean? Just in general, you can keep going? Not sure if I follow.

About how long until multiplayer is unlocked? I don't really intend on spending time in multiplayer, but if that unlocks other goodies I'm interested. Feel free to spoiler it.

Mupod

God dammit, lag sent me back to town after killing the chimera and while I did get to keep my loot, I didn't get to keep the stone or quest credit. At least I got a pretty ridiculous weapon out of it - S ranked poleaxe with 87-87 damage range. I've never seen anything with the minimum as high as the maximum. Shouldn't have any trouble soloing that boss next time.

But before that, I got sidequests to do. Seems like some of these are impossible in a group, but soloing is fun too. Especially since it's practically the only time I can actually use Parry.

Outside of the Labyrinth of Chaos you mean? Just in general, you can keep going? Not sure if I follow.

About how long until multiplayer is unlocked? I don't really intend on spending time in multiplayer, but if that unlocks other goodies I'm interested. Feel free to spoiler it.

After you beat a boss you can pick 'continue adventure' and it just throws you into a random level with your current party. You get various bonuses like extra gold or score bonus for continuing the 'chain', and between quests you can sometimes do a little cooking minigame to get extra temporary hp, damage, score etc.

The thing that sucks is if you pick continue and your party members don't, seems like they get replaced with AI. Also, you might get boned like I did and have a lag issue where you lose your quest progress.

Cryst

I've been waiting to unlock the ability to have multiple bags. Does that come around the same time as unlocking online multiplayer?

Yep, same time, more or less. You get your second bag for free as a gift from the Adventurer's Guild. Additional bags may be purchased from the item shop on the cheap (though they may get progressively more expensive; haven't bought enough yet!)

Raven77

I have a few questions and would love some thoughts from those who have it on PS3:

- My budget right now is pretty tight. Is it worth the $50 price tag? I may not be playing online, so keep that in mind.

- Is there a storyline for each character or is it basically exactly the same game?

- How deep is the combat?

- How varied are the environments?

- If you were to rate the game based on an animal, would it be a Rhino, Elephant, Tiger, Mongoose, Squirrel, or Killer Whale?

Thanks in advance.

So Amazon STILL Has not shipped my copy of the game out. I tried calling them but of course I got a "it says it is shipping now, so that means it should ship today!" Of course, it has been at the "Shipping Now" state since Sunday.

Has anyone else been having issues with their Order from Amazon, Or has anyone ordered since the release and have had their item already ship?

This is the first time I have ever had an "In Stock" item not ship from Amazon within 72 hours of release.

Andrew.

Banned
So Amazon STILL Has not shipped my copy of the game out. I tried calling them but of course I got a "it says it is shipping now, so that means it should ship today!" Of course, it has been at the "Shipping Now" state since Sunday.

Has anyone else been having issues with their Order from Amazon, Or has anyone ordered since the release and have had their item already ship?

This is the first time I have ever had an "In Stock" item not ship from Amazon within 72 hours of release.

Pre-ordered from them on JUuy 31st and it was promptly delivered on Tuesday. It shipped out Sunday night.

But I'm also a Prime member. Always go Prime.

Jarsonot

Game's a blast. Been playing (elf) with my wife (dwarf) on ps3, unlocked online w/ both.

Gonna start a new character on Vita to play solo with, figure I'll preserve my elf for when wife and I play, and so I'll solo up some other character so I have more options when/if we decide to go online.

Tried online once, someone kept rushing ahead, not even killing all the enemies at times, it seemed (though now I'm wondering if that's possible? Maybe some places) was annoying, dropped out.

Game rocks though!

Giolon

I had my order from June 2012 it "shipped" Sunday night w/ Overnight Shipping, but no tracking ever updated all of Monday or Tuesday. Called Amazon Tuesday evening and they said they'd lost the package and the soonest they could get a replacement to me would've been Thursday. :-/

Needless to say, I went scrambling to every Gamestop in the area and finally found a copy, but yeah, Amazon fucked up my order too. I have Prime too.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm starting to realize every player is OP on normal... That the HOOK to this game is going thru it on hard then inferno. The story isn't important, it's old school in that gameplay > everything. It's really all about your build and loot.

The Sorceress has the worst skills in my opinion, plus u r only level 12, a lot of skills haven't unlocked yet. The wizard has a lot more spell books and they r way more offensive oriented. Enough so u can build your wizard differently from anyone else.

Okay thanks for that. Maybe I'll just start a new character.

Cryst

Game's a blast. Been playing (elf) with my wife (dwarf) on ps3, unlocked online w/ both.

Gonna start a new character on Vita to play solo with, figure I'll preserve my elf for when wife and I play, and so I'll solo up some other character so I have more options when/if we decide to go online.

Tried online once, someone kept rushing ahead, not even killing all the enemies at times, it seemed (though now I'm wondering if that's possible? Maybe some places) was annoying, dropped out.

Game rocks though!

Without ruining the surprise too much, yes, there are some stages where you may need to rush ahead, and I imagine you stumbled into one of those. Other players do like rushing through the door once the area is void of enemies without letting you cast rune spells or poke around, so that gets annoying. Be nimble with those fingers! (or stick?)

DY_nasty

When dungeon hopping, you should have at least more than one bag.

:|

Nothing like having equipment break during a boss fight.

Edit: Oh. And Rune Spell implementation is just done sooooo poorly.

RS4-

Yeah the rune spell thing is pretty lousy.

Just finished an online hard session, did dungeons 1-4 A route, leveled up from 35 to 42.

antitrop

When dungeon hopping, you should have at least more than one bag.

Nothing like having equipment break during a boss fight.

Edit: Oh. And Rune Spell implementation is just done sooooo poorly.
Does this game really need breakable equipment and repairing at all? It doesn't seem like it adds any certain element of strategy or anything, that I can see.

Mononoke

Banned
Oops, looks like I accidentally doubled posted.

Anyways, not to throw away a post: I will say that I'm enjoying this game. Animation is gorgeous. Just in a rut I guess, on the gameplay aspect.

So I've played about 5 matches online (I'm on the Vita) and I'm kinda surprised not many people are using their mics. All vita's have a mic on them, so I thought people would just use it since it's their.

I personally don't use my mic either, so I guess I can't complain.

Skilletor

So I've played about 5 matches online (I'm on the Vita) and I'm kinda surprised not many people are using their mics. All vita's have a mic on them, so I thought people would just use it since it's their.

I personally don't use my mic either, so I guess I can't complain.

I only use my mic (on any platform) when I'm playing with friends.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does this game really need breakable equipment and repairing at all? It doesn't seem like it adds any certain element of strategy or anything, that I can see.

If equipment didn't degrade you could do dungeons over and over getting the bonuses with no downside.

Jarsonot

I *do* like that the runes don't have to be in any particular order.

My notepad is now organized alphabetically with the three-letter acronyms, so I can just see what letters I have available and quickly find out what I can cast.

Already though I'm memorizing the "good" ones.

Also I really appreciate the variety in quests. Not always a "fetch x amount" or "kill x amount". Good call, Vanillaware!

DY_nasty

If equipment didn't degrade you could do dungeons over and over getting the bonuses with no downside.

Yeah. It forces you to mix things up and try different equipment sets throughout your bags.

Early on, it feels like good equipment is hard to come by. Later? lol. I can hit 3-6 dungeons and leave with at least 4 S rank items.

The very first encounter at the mages tower spawns them quite regularly. I take the horse there, kill whatever spawns, quit and repeat. Remember to open the chest to offset the horse fee.

tumblr_mocdvvCOSs1srujzdo1_500.gif

Thank you!

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I'm currently on honeymoon in Toronto from the UK but could not find a copy of this for Vita anywhere today. Undershipped or just more popular than expected?

Top Bottom