• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Carnby

I didn't ask Luikane about Rune Magic, and now the option is grayed out on the menu. Will he give me a chance to ask about it again?

eliochip

Oh wtf...was that a Monty Python reference I just experienced?

I just got my ass kicked by a white bunny called "Killer Rabbit". It literally was just a small white rabbit that deals a crap load of damage

bodine1231

Is anyone playing without allies in single player? Does it make the game too difficult? I'm finding it way to hard to see what's going on playing the Vita version with multiple characters on the screen.

RS4-

Is anyone playing without allies in single player? Does it make the game too difficult? I'm finding it way to hard to see what's going on playing the Vita version with multiple characters on the screen.

Enemy HP scales, I think they throw more enemies at you as well.

Owensboro

So, fellow Dwarves, let's discus this class. Normal mob crowd control makes total sense to me (throw enemies into each other --> into a pile, get on top of them, and Grand Smash. Rinse & Repeat.), but boss monsters and monster that can't be thrown make little to no sense to me. For them, I basically just Grand Smash and then fail around like an idiot feeling like I'm doing no damage at all. What am I doing wrong here? Am I supposed to be using the rock that is throw-able? That's boring as hell since you have to chase it all over the screen after throwing it, and if that's how the class is going to end up then I probably need to switch. It's also highly annoying that for certain bosses getting to your weapons again after a Grand Smash is just asking to take damage (Goddamn that [B-Path Lost Woods]
Killer Rabbit
!)

As for skill discussion, that's a whole other problem. Reading that respeccing potions are so rare (and having no earthly idea where they are dropped) makes me want to not waste points, but not being able to see how powerful a skill can become makes that increasingly harder with each new skill point. All those question marks for higher skill levels are doing is preventing me from wanting to try out new skills and "waste" a point, which is a real shame. What builds are everyone going with that are actually effective on un-throwable monsters?

I'm around level 20 and unfortunately I'm at work and don't remember my exact skill allotment, but my current build is something like: (listed from most points to least points)
Class Skills:
Power Bomb (3?)
Grand Smash (3?)
Trinket Maniac (3?) (I just read now someone saying this only works on "Sparkly Loot" found in the background, is that true? If so.... crap. Thought it worked on all treasure.)
Toughness (2?)

Common Skills:
Wealth to Health (3?)
Money is Power (3?)
Evasion (1)
Nutritionist (1)
Vitality Boost (1)
Deep Pockets (1)

How are all the skills I'm not using (Dwarf: Lethal Fists, Eagle Dive, Bomb Satchel, Fire Barrel, Magma Infusion, Powder Mastery. Common: Slide Attack)? Exactly how useful are the Bombs and Powder Mastery? I feel like they would be great at first and just become more and more useless in higher difficulties.

I've already decided I need to 1) get Rock Skin and 2) use Pump Up a whole lot more, as well as 3) actually use items. I had set quick buttons but had no idea how to use them (I couldn't even find it in the nice color manual!) until just reading it now on GAF (up arrow + quick button), but I plan on buying some rings and scrolls to try them out. I also just now realized that I probably need to 4) pump points into Lethal Fists, but that would only be for bosses and unthrowable mobs. When I'm waiting for Grand Smash to finish It's cooldown I'm mostly grabbing fools and throwing them into their friends. I hate to waste a point preparing for only 10-15% of a dungeon :(

Oh, and continuing the fun from earlier:
Name: KneeDrop
Greeting: Hulkamania is running wild!
Selection: Can you smellellellellelllllll...
Resurrection: (Dramatic pause)...Hey Yo!
Dying: And that's the bottom line...

QP3

So, fellow Dwarves, let's discus this class.

I am currently doing a build of Throw, Smash, Bare fists.

For most of the level, I throw them into piles, smash, and then bare fists any scrappers.

On bosses, smash, then go Ali on it's ass while my weapon recharges.

Pretty fun and effective so far imo, but I am only a few hours in. Thoughts?

AEREC

Framerate can get pretty shotty on vita. Was on Bilbaron Fortress with fire everywhere and a Wizard AI partner casting spells. If I had to guess I would say it was in the teens.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I stopped at gamestop today to buy this and was surprised at the price... pretty expensive for a side scrolling beat 'em up.

Even the DD version is a little too expensive for what it is (for my tastes).

Might pick it up later on down the line.

I stopped at gamestop today to buy this and was surprised at the price... pretty expensive for a side scrolling beat 'em up.

Even the DD version is a little too expensive for what it is (for my tastes).

Might pick it up later on down the line.
15+ hour, online, high polished, absolutely gorgeous beat 'em up that is a strong contender for the best in the 15 year history of the genre?

Worth every penny and then some.

maomaoIYP

5 million score trophy get!
Also dat 27 S pieces LOLOL.... and now for an item sorting nightmare =(
c3s2.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
15+ hour, online, high polished, absolutely gorgeous beat 'em up that is a strong contender for the best in the 15 year history of the genre?

Worth every penny and then some.

Beat em ups have been around way longer than 15 years, In fact RPGish beat em ups have been around since the 80s. Hello, River City Ransom.

Only 2 more bosses before i get to the hardest difficulty .
Also it's great the game gives you a potion to reset your stats .
Was not happy with certain things i did with my Amazon so now i can undo that .

Also if any one wants to play some co - op add me gundamkyoukai .

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only 2 more bosses before i get to the hardest difficulty .
Also it's great the game gives you a potion to reset your stats .
Was not happy with certain things i did with my Amazon so now i can undo that .

Also if any one wants to play some co - op add me gundamkyoukai .

Holy crap, gamechanger. Where is that?

Beat em ups have been around way longer than 15 years, In fact RPGish beat em ups have been around since the 80s. Hello, River City Ransom.
I foolishly edited my comment to take out '15+' after looking up the release date of Final Fight, absolutely forgetting Urban Champion or whatever arcade games from even before then.

Owensboro

Lethal Fists is a must when you consider how good Grand Smash is. You're going to be bare fisted a lot.

Yeah, I pretty stupidly ignored it in the beginning because I was focusing to much on Money is Power, Grand Smash, and Wealth to Health. I'm absolutely dropping points into it next.

Anyone doing a Bomb build? How's it working out for you if so?

Sanctuary

For all those spamming the wiz/sorc air lightning charge attack, stop please! Quick video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_erisi5jhY

It doesn't get the +50% damage boost from Levitate like other air attacks. It's useful against large groups of weak things I think, but even then it uses so much more mana versus the normal air attack, is weaker, and obscures the screen even more than normal.

It already starts out pretty weak damage per hit wise, and it always did less damage than your non charged O in the air attack. I don't know if it was half as much, but it was quite a bit less. I'm only on 2/3 Levitate right now, so I'll be able to check it out once I get the final rank.

I don't really like lightning rods anyway except against two particular bosses. Fire is where it's at on most things, especially if you have a lot of +damage/+fire damage items and Blaze. Slow + Blaze + up + O = half life pretty fast.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Does anyone understand what War Paint does for the Amazon? The Skill text says it creates a clone of you, but whenever I use it, I never see a clone, but it creates some kind of particle effect on me. Does it just increase your damage or what?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For all those spamming the wiz/sorc air lightning charge attack, stop please! Quick video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_erisi5jhY

It doesn't get the +50% damage boost from Levitate like other air attacks. It's useful against large groups of weak things I think, but even then it uses so much more mana versus the normal air attack, is weaker, and obscures the screen even more than normal.

Hahah, this is totally me.

Why doesn't it get the damage bonus? (can't watch your video right now)

EDIT: Whoops. Sorry about the double post.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It already starts out pretty weak damage per hit wise, and it always did less damage than your non charged O in the air attack. I don't know if it was half as much, but it was quite a bit less. I'm only on 2/3 Levitate right now, so I'll be able to check it out once I get the final rank.

I don't really like lightning rods anyway except against two particular bosses. Fire is where it's at on most things, especially if you have a lot of +damage/+fire damage items and Blaze. Slow + Blaze + up + O = half life pretty fast.

I'm already at 3/3 so it definitely doesn't give it the bonus unless at 0/3 levitate, it's doing 50% less damage. I'll try to find out.

Hahah, this is totally me.

Why doesn't it get the damage bonus? (can't watch your video right now)

It does hit a lot, so a balance thing maybe. Or like I said, it might actually be getting the bonus but by default it's 50% weaker than the other attacks. I'd need a caster with 0/3 levitate and a lightning rod to check, though.

Vee_One

Probably a noob question....
How do you save your game, does it use an auto save system or do you have to go somewhere specific?

EDIT: Figured it out, "Report Adventure" at tavern

Andrew.

Banned
Aw, I don't have access to the Labrynth of Chaos yet. Great to know it exists, though. I was concerned about my Skill allocation.

Me too. Now that Im unlocking more and more skill cards and am finally used to the way my Fighter works, I can see where Ive allocated points in spots that are kinda useless at this point with the way I am in battle. Glad to know I can undo everything.

People online are garbage at the
archdemon and killer rabbit
fights.

How? Those two are like the easiest B-route bosses for me.
(must be a non-wizard thing.)

I seriously can not express how OP the Wizard's slow spell is in terms of boss fights. Get a good wizard in your party to cast slow and you'll hardly watch small-mid size bosses move at all.

Finalow

I didn't ask Luikane about Rune Magic, and now the option is grayed out on the menu. Will he give me a chance to ask about it again?
it doesn't matter, you just have to progress in the story to unlock runes.

I still have to try the slow spell, it seems good vs some bosses but vs the ones that that just tp all over the place, or don't move at all, it's useless I guess?
what about fire ward? I read that It should buff fire damage but I'm not sure how.

Tokubetsu

How? Those two are like the easiest B-route bosses for me.
(must be a non-wizard thing.)

I seriously can not express how OP the Wizard's slow spell is in terms of boss fights. Get a good wizard in your party to cast slow and you'll hardly watch small-mid size bosses move at all.

The former is so easy but nope, People die left and right, always get grabbed, can't dodge screen wide attacks etc.

The former is so easy but nope, People die left and right, always get grabbed, can't dodge screen wide attacks etc.

I can't even see the
Killer rabbit
on my vita screen half of the time (under all the spell effects.) I just walk around, spam slow and magic and the thing just dies.

The
Wraith
fight is usually what annoys me. People either don't pay attention to the instruction or insist on battling out even though the fire has gone out.

Added myself to the gaf list. Haven't reached multiplayer yet but running a level 10 elf for now. Hit me up for some games

Psn: bloodbathnbyond

I am loving this game on my vita. I'm really really tempted to go buy it on the PS3 as well. Do I need PS+ in order to transfer saves between the two platforms?

Ultimadrago

Poor Rannie. ( ≖‿≖)

Pretty fun and effective so far imo, but I am only a few hours in. Thoughts?

I do the same, really (except I throw the scrappers too!). I haven't had any issues with it thus far. At times I'll mix it up with the odd Fire Barrel (or three) to gain initial explosion damage on a boss/mob post-Power Smash. I hadn't considered that it might be useless in future difficulty levels, but it hasn't gotten in the way of what I'm leveling yet and it's another tool for the bag.

But yeah, if one doesn't like the idea of losing their weapon for lots of Power Smash, perhaps they should switch.

Lethal Fists is a must when you consider how good Grand Smash is. You're going to be bare fisted a lot.

Would you say Lava Bangle/Magma Infusion is worth some points as well? It takes up an inventory slot, but it sounds tempting to add more elemental damage to Dwarf.

Owensboro

People online are garbage at the
archdemon and killer rabbit
fights.

Hey! Have mercy! Some of us are fighting these things for the first time and have NO idea what's going to happen. I won't lie, I laughed at loud at the [B-path lost woods]
killer rabbit, knew it was a reference to Monty Python and still, for some unknown reason, expected a bigger, badder boss to appear at some point. I was still totally surprised when it basically one-shot me with it's first attack (I wasn't at full health)
. I won't let that happen again!

I'm starting to hate Rannie's punk ass! He can't even tell me when Tommit is stealing my shit. He don't even try to fight Tommit he just run and hide. I wanna choke the shit out his ass

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm so envious of all of you!
Dragon's crown is still not here and today i'll even platinum saints row the third! :'(
Can things go even more wrong?
When will i get dragon's crown?!?!!??!!?!
I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom