• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

HORRORSHØW

Jeebus, this game looks great!

Only problem is that it seems to hard to run. Double tapping and holding left or right only works sometimes. Anyone else gave this problem?
Hold square and run instead. Double tapping is fine if you're using the D-pad, but if you're using the analog stick, then hold square.

ToyBroker

Banned
That totally slipped my mind.

So much like Soul Sacrifice your're better off rolling alone?

Yeah it's way better.

You have much more control over your character because you're not getting lost in the clutter.

I mean I'm level 25 or so now and I still have problem lining up my attacks correctly due to the way the game has enemies on different planes.

Either way, I'm still playing this as we speak and it's like 5:30 AM...soo...I'm addicted.

BTW, how many S ranked treasure chests have you guys opened? I'm level 25 and I think I've opened maybe 3? And 2 of those were in one of the stages that you can kinda exploit by using the magic treasure rune spell.

ToyBroker

Banned
Hmmm, I've been doing quests and find that I like to do them one at a time. I'll keep the bag thing in mind when I feel like that grind though.

Ya the chain run things he was talking about is when you're either grinding for xp or grinding for loot since you get bonuses from your cooking and each consecutive stage you run. Only thing that sucks is if you chain run, your next dungeon is random too, so you might end up in a much higher level dungeon if you wanna go the B route, else you're stuck running the A-route again.

Danneee

The game looks mindnumbingly fantastic imo. I'm playing on vita, and it gets hard to parse what's happening on screen at times, but HOLEE GAWD does it look good.

The dble tap's been fairly reliable for me. You can always also just hold square + direction, although it adds an attack at the end when you release.

Grimløck;75506051 said:
Hold square and run instead. Double tapping is fine if you're using the D-pad, but if you're using the analog stick, then hold square.

Ahh, I see. I'm using the stick to move as it was easier to use items with the d-pad, might switch it again though. Thanks a bunch guys!

Emalde

Grimløck;75506279 said:
Some help guys. How do I get to
The Illusionary Lands?
Don't know if that's a spoiler, but better safe than sorry.

If you have all of the talismans, go to the gate screen, and you should see a rune on the wall in the middle of the entire "screen".

Sanctuary

Jeebus, this game looks great!

Only problem is that it seems to hard to run. Double tapping and holding left or right only works sometimes. Anyone else gave this problem?

Change your controls so that it uses the cross instead of the analog.

Also, I don't know why people are claiming that adding allies scales the enemy health. If it does, it doesn't do it enough to warrant going solo. As a Wizard, it takes forever to kill things solo sometimes, where in a full group they die in a matter of seconds. Usually because I can actually hit a group instead of a spread out swarm, and I can also stand still long enough to regen, instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cutoff being useless.

ToyBroker

Banned
Dang my circle smash is hitting for like 3.8K right now.

S ranked weapon with high low and high top-end FTW.

Change your controls so that it uses the cross instead of the analog.

Also, I don't know why people are claiming that adding allies scales the enemy health. If it does, it doesn't do it enough to warrant going solo. As a Wizard, it takes forever to kill things solo sometimes, where in a full group they die in a matter of seconds.

You talking CPU party or real people party?

And adding players most def scales enemy HP or else the game would be a 100% cake walk.

ToyBroker

Banned
Oh ya, pro-tip.

Make sure you guys grab a prayer from the temple every time you go to a dungeon.

The +more weapons/shields one is a fucking steal at 50 coins.

Playing with GAF

Dragon's Crown GAF Playerlist (Thanks, CrazyTank940!)

Updated that list with my info... not a lot of dwarves running around.

Also speaking of the OP, might wanna add a note about no mic/voice chat in this game. Seen the question pop up a few times. Not that everyone reads the OP in full, but it might help.

Speaking of that, what are you folks doing for voice chat if at all? I heard about skype, but what about vent, mumble etc. Its too bad the PS3 doesnt have universal voice chat/party system like the 360

Sanctuary

You talking CPU party or real people party?

And adding players most def scales enemy HP or else the game would be a 100% cake walk.

Talking about AI. Since that's what people were saying was "mucking it up" earlier in regards to health. It would make sense for player controlled characters causing enemy health to scale due to the S gear you can deck yourself out in. AI gear is comparatively trash, but they make good distractions.

Hmmm, I've been doing quests and find that I like to do them one at a time. I'll keep the bag thing in mind when I feel like that grind though.

Yeah, doing quest is one thing =D. But you'll find it's interesting to do chain runs for leveling as well. After each run you'll have higher percentage in coin, score or rank obtain for the next run and it stacks up.

One cannot simply resist 200% score 200% coin and 100% rank =).

Finalow

The game is fun, but it would have been even more fun had they actually allowed you to use R2 or L2 for the item shorcuts menu as well as using one of them for the "use" function for whatever you currently have in your item window. The way it's implemented now is garbage. You basically have to stand still to select items. It's not like the game doesn't have a surplus of unused buttons.
I thought I was the only one. yes, it's garbage.

Updated that list with my info... not a lot of dwarves running around.

Now I think I'm a play a dwarf

The game is fun, but it would have been even more fun had they actually allowed you to use R2 or L2 for the item shorcuts menu as well as using one of them for the "use" function for whatever you currently have in your item window. The way it's implemented now is garbage. You basically have to stand still to select items. It's not like the game doesn't have a surplus of unused buttons.

I agree. It's overly frustrating to me that I have to stop to use a spell since I can't walk and use the d-pad at the same time while l2 & r2 aren't used. I blame it on the vita lol

Sanctuary

Ah I see. So even though I have not added them before starting the level, they may randomly join ?

Yes, you'll get a message that
Samuel
sent them to back you up. It was getting really annoying when I was trying to solo a certain quest (due to the AI "helping" me fail) until someone here mentioned that you have to turn the slots to "join off". That's not just for online strangely enough.

Great game, been havinga lot of fun with it! Still rocking the Elf, but I did briefly try the Amazon and the Dwarf. Both were fun also and I will move onto one of them after my Elf playhrough.

I've been playing this game with my sister in local multiplayer. Both of us are on Hard, and I helped her with her final battle, which brought her to Infernal difficulty. We immediately proceeded to chain a long dungeon run which had us going back to town after more than one hour of gameplay. At the end of that she ended up levelling up TEN TIMES. Meanwhile I'm capped at 65 because my character is considered to still be in hard mode. Even worse, my character only received 1/4 the experience my sister's because he was still using the hard mode score-to-exp convertion ratio.
Tl;dr If you're playing local multiplayer, before moving on to the next difficulty, make sure everyone's character beats the last boss as the first player.

Raist

Banned
It took me 9h =P. Well that's my fault for running around admiring everything =D.

I think I spend half my time in dungeons scanning everywhere for hidden coins and stuff xD. It's a shame it only seems to be one of them giving multiple coins/jewellery etc. Although that's probably safer for my L1 button.

PS3 players, how do you have your screen option set up: A, B, or C?

B. My TV apparently has obscene overscan so A actually crops a lot of the image. C fits everything but is too small. B is... well, not just right, but it cuts a small-enough amount that I can deal. I would really like a "B and a half" option or something, haha.

Raist

Banned
B. My TV apparently has obscene overscan so A actually crops a lot of the image. C fits everything but is too small. B is... well, not just right, but it cuts a small-enough amount that I can deal. I would really like a "B and a half" option or something, haha.

Actually I forgot to ask if people had the same "overscan" problem earlier on.
When I use the hand cursor (R stick) it stops just fine right at the edge of the screen on the top and left sides, but goes a bit further on the bottom and right sides (so essentially it's not visible anymore). Changing the screen setting doesn't even fix the problem, even on C.
Is anyone having the same issue?

I guess I've finally gotten the hang of beating the bosses. I also realized that I was way underleveled for a lot of the earlier boss fights I was doing, but since I was relying on the random gate that's completely my fault >.>

I've also realized that without the right element equipped, Sorceress is basically useless in a boss fight.

anddo0

Maybe rolling solo as a low level Elf (lvl 18) isn't the best idea. I had to use resurrection for the first time versus the
Gazer.
In my opinion the biggest con to using the Elf is the limited arrows (at low level).

ScOULaris

It's almost like everything up until the B routes were a tutorial...

Holy Crap.

Oh, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I am almost done with my run through the A routes, and I was thinking to myself that the game was simply too easy and devoid of the need for any real tactics. I have just been mindlessly plowing through every level without even worrying about death up to this point.

I've also realized that without the right element equipped, Sorceress is basically useless in a boss fight.
I almost want to have a notepad ready for the b-route to predict which wand to bring. Maybe that's more something to do on hard, while casually glancing at a guide for enemy types. I had a lightning rod while fighting zombies and it was completely useless.

Also you have the cropped avatar of the century. "Hey Shinji, want to practice kissing?"

edukate

i agree 100%- this was a big oversite IMO. Anyone w/ the jp version on ps3 download the patch yet? supposedly it allows you to program additional buttons...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there any way to repair AI equipment? The game just doesn't want to give me Sorceresses!

Does the game decide what online partners to give you based on your own class? I don't think I've played with another Sorceress online at all since I started.

I've reached level 35 on Normal, which is apparently the max for this difficulty. The game says it will continue to log my XP, but just won't level me any further. Am I understanding correctly that upon moving up to a harder difficulty I'll then level up right away from any backlogged experience?

Tokubetsu

I guess I've finally gotten the hang of beating the bosses. I also realized that I was way underleveled for a lot of the earlier boss fights I was doing, but since I was relying on the random gate that's completely my fault >.>

All these bosses telegraph a lot, it's really easy to learn when to evade. This is made even easier if you're a caster.

Does the game decide what online partners to give you based on your own class? I don't think I've played with another Sorceress online at all since I started.

I've reached level 35 on Normal, which is apparently the max for this difficulty. The game says it will continue to log my XP, but just won't level me any further. Am I understanding correctly that upon moving up to a harder difficulty I'll then level up right away from any backlogged experience?

A.I. partners are determined by who you have resurrected. If you resurrected 10 bones and they ended up being 1 Sorceress, 4 Dwarves, and 5 Fighters, then you have a 5/10 chance of getting a Fighter in one of your party slots, 4/10 chance for a Dwarf, and 1/10 for a Sorceress. Check your party list in the tavern, you probably have few to no Sorceresses and plenty of the other classes. You can always dismiss low level A.I. characters or multiples of a class. As for online with other human players, maybe no one you played with uses a Sorceress.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A.I. partners are determined by who you have resurrected. If you resurrected 10 bones and they ended up being 1 Sorceress, 4 Dwarves, and 5 Fighters, then you have a 5/10 chance of getting a Fighter in one of your party slots, 4/10 chance for a Dwarf, and 1/10 for a Sorceress. Check your party list in the tavern, you probably have few to no Sorceresses and plenty of the other classes. You can always dismiss low level A.I. characters or multiples of a class. As for online with other human players, maybe no one you played with uses a Sorceress.

Yeah, I was talking about other human players. I guess it's just coincidence, but I've seen every other character pop up as online players except the Sorceress

I feel so silly for not realizing right away that I can
avoid being turned to stone by simply facing away from Medusa when she uses her petrification attack.
It's like when it finally clicked and I figured out
I could cast against the gazer again by jumping behind him.

Kinda wish I could've figured that out on my own, actually. Thanks for not using spoiler tags. :(

NeoZylom

I feel a bit dumb right now, but how do I do RUNE MAGIC if the first rune is in my inventory??? Only way I can pop out the rune magic thingie is by clicking on a run in the environement. For example, there is a F and C on a grave, I want to make
SFC
but I can't since I can't choose the S to be in first position :(

Edit: Nevermind, they don't need to be in the right position to trigger the magic ...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Continuous questing is good for getting high quality loot and experience, since all the bonuses continue to stack as you go through dungeon after dungeon. Also, that fun cooking mini-game.

The multiple bags are a must, and magic users in particular can get fresh stock of all their spells in each bag.

Tokubetsu

The online systems in this are addicting. It's almost like a side-scrolling MMO.

No one is ever ready for Lost Woods Route B boss fight...

RS4-

Is there any way to repair AI equipment? The game just doesn't want to give me Sorceresses!

No can't repair, better off dismissing them. Before you do that though, press triangle and see if they have another bag or two and have them equip it.

It isn't much though. I came across an online user that I could res, he's level 69 or 89. Sometimes you get unlucky and res someone that already has broken equipment lol.

I think I'm still level 42 with my fighter. I'll probably work on my level 2 amazon.

iMarkyP

Neo Member
Yes, you'll get a message that
Samuel
sent them to back you up. It was getting really annoying when I was trying to solo a certain quest (due to the AI "helping" me fail) until someone here mentioned that you have to turn the slots to "join off". That's not just for online strangely enough.

Makes sense now, thanks for the help !

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For all those spamming the wiz/sorc air lightning charge attack, stop please! Quick video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_erisi5jhY

It doesn't get the +50% damage boost from Levitate like other air attacks. It's useful against large groups of weak things I think, but even then it uses so much more mana versus the normal air attack, is weaker, and obscures the screen even more than normal.

Top Bottom