• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Owensboro

Really? I've never seen that happen.

If they still drop tasty foodstuffs I'll roll with a wizard-has-dibs policy from here on out ;P

Yup! Me too. I honestly never even knew about it. There needs to be some kind of multiplayer tutorial that mentions little things like that. For instance, I also didn't know the sorceress could create food.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE.jpg[IMG]

After a bit of testing, I have concluded that [B]maomaoIYP[/B] is correct! Adroit Hands [I]does[/I] in fact decrease cooldown for weapons as well as consumables, which means you can close the gap between the active weapon switch cooldown and another two delicious Grand Slam breakfasts in a row![/QUOTE]

Oh god..... oh god.... I want to leave work and play naaaaaoooooowwww. Stupid awesome news making me excited about playing videogames! This completely fixes the problem I had with it giving you invincibility, but you drop your weapons and have to return to the same spot to pick them up. Now you can summon them from across the map with a weapon switch! [I]Awesome.[/I]

Sgblues

Hey anyone notice the evil wizard guys saying things like abra kadabra, alakazam, hocus pocus and sim sim salabim(Hadji on Jonny Quest says this) when casting spells?

I thought that was funny and just another set of references and shout outs in this game.

So Amazon STILL Has not shipped my copy of the game out. I tried calling them but of course I got a "it says it is shipping now, so that means it should ship today!" Of course, it has been at the "Shipping Now" state since Sunday.

Has anyone else been having issues with their Order from Amazon, Or has anyone ordered since the release and have had their item already ship?

This is the first time I have ever had an "In Stock" item not ship from Amazon within 72 hours of release.

Mine haven't shipped yet and I ordered it last month. This is bullshit. It fucking says "In Stock" but how come they haven't shipped it out yet?

Mine haven't shipped yet and I ordered it last month. This is bullshit. It fucking says "In Stock" but how come they haven't shipped it out yet?
Hug yourself at night because you're at least guaranteed an artbook, unlike stupid NewEgg.

I keep seeing the game and artbook shrink-wrapped together. Did someone at the newegg warehouse somehow manually separate the two for no reason?

This completely fixes the problem I had with it giving you invincibility, but you drop your weapons and have to return to the same spot to pick them up. Now you can summon them from across the map with a weapon switch! Awesome.

And if you skill up Adroit Hands to max, the item pickup cooldown is reduced by half.

Does anyone know what the default cooldown time is? Because I'm pretty sure it's only a few seconds anyway.

Anyone know what to do for these two side quests:
1. Informer: Forgotten Sanctuary, in the room with the blue door show death to it. Feeling blind cause I've run through twice and have yet to see a room with a blue door.

2. A Monk's Struggle: Forgotten Sanctuary, defeat the false god statue. No idea what they're referring to.

Also for these side quests, are there any map differences between the A and B paths? If there are, how do you differentiate which path to take?

For informer:
I believe the door is a wall that has a triangle stepping stone in front of it (It's easy to walk pass.) Stand on it long enough for the door to fully open and then walk inside. Look for a wall marked with the "K" rune, it's one of the "TSK" rune doors. Once you enter, on the right side of the screen, there will be a "I" rune on the pillar. Use the "D" and "E" rune to spell "DIE". You'll know you're in the right room if there are 4 flame pillar traps grouped together on the ground

For A monk's struggle.
At the end of B route, instead of stepping in to the magic circle, walk around it and there will be a statue on the right side of the screen. Destroy it.

As for sidequests > read the description, usually they give you enough clues as to which route you should take. If not, then it's trial & error.

Owensboro

Hey anyone notice the evil wizard guys saying things like abra kadabra, alakazam, hocus pocus and sim sim salabim(Hadji on Jonny Quest says this) when casting spells?

I thought that was funny and just another set of references and shout outs in this game.

The Hadji reference is spectacular. Now I'm going to have to listen for them. Up to this point, all I've heard once the magicians appear is constant explosions, body slams, and spells being cast.

My favorite reference so far has probably been the bones that say "The statue made me die.... ", a reference to an awesome old They Might Be Giants song. It has been stuck in my head since I saw it. I'm not upset about that.

And if you skill up Adroit Hands to max, the item pickup cooldown is reduced by half.

Does anyone know what the default cooldown time is? Because I'm pretty sure it's only a few seconds anyway.

Now I just need someone to get the exact vaules on item cooldown vs. 1/2 item cooldown vs. Power Smash cooldown. I'm wondering how many points you need until the item cooldown eclipses the weapon pickup cooldown, and then how much faster the extra points in Adroid Hands would make it, and finally if those points would be worth it or better spent somewhere else. Good god I love theorcrafting!

Ultimadrago

According to my inferior human motor reactions, the default time is about 10 seconds.

Half of that would be dangerously close to Power Smash's cooldown. I have yet to be able to try maxed Hands myself, however.

YoungOne

iceAm06AtdKrw.jpg
Lol, that is me.

My online experience distilled into a single image. It's even got the most egregious offender doing the deed.

Even worse are the ones that smash the crate right after I've hit it, so my li'l buddy is just about to start coming to life when WHAM, not today, wizzy!
Sorry, wizard peeps I'll try to remember for next time :).

koryuken

Hey guys, any tips for the "reflect hits with the shield" quest at Mage's tower? I can't reflect shit and i keep getting hit.

MooMoo

For informer:
I believe the door is a wall that has a triangle stepping stone in front of it (It's easy to walk pass.) Stand on it long enough for the door to fully open and then walk inside. Look for a wall marked with the "K" rune, it's one of the "TSK" rune doors. Once you enter, on the right side of the screen, there will be a "I" rune on the pillar. Use the "D" and "E" rune to spell "DIE". You'll know you're in the right room if there are 4 flame pillar traps grouped together on the ground

For A monk's struggle.
At the end of B route, instead of stepping in to the magic circle, walk around it and there will be a statue on the right side of the screen. Destroy it.

As for sidequests > read the description, usually they give you enough clues as to which route you should take. If not, then it's trial & error.

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Also damn you Killer Rabbit! You're just too small to hit with my arrows >.>

zatara

Holy hell this the first game in a while where I have to actually play right and not just straight up button mash, and I love it. I got my ass handed to me by the first boss.

I'm starting to enjoy just dungeon romping with randoms. I got all the sidequests done about midway through hard difficulty so I'm liking that I can concentrate on online play from here on.

Hey guys, any tips for the "reflect hits with the shield" quest at Mage's tower? I can't reflect shit and i keep getting hit.

Make sure you are doing it in the room that you got the shield from. Since that's the only place where it matters.
Just stand in front of a mage with the shield on. You don't have to do anything other than that.

Oh, and the best part of online play is that I can just let everyone else click on doors, chests and runes. I don't even have to finagle the right stick, sogood.

Ultimadrago

Yes, I keep getting hit while holding the big shield and facing the mage's attack. I came to the level with no AI partners, but they still join and kill the mages quickly... pretty frustrating.

If you want no more A.I. partners, press triangle on the Choose Allies tab in the tavern to "Not Joinable" for all other slots. That'll keep them out of the way for your quest. But yeah, if you are using a Great Shield and facing a particular attack (not ice shard), it should work,, the hidden path to the right should open. Try getting a little closer if you're not already.

koryuken

If you want no more A.I. partners, press triangle on the Choose Allies tab in the tavern to "Not Joinable" for all other slots. That'll keep them out of the way for your quest. But yeah, if you are using a Great Shield and facing a particular attack (not ice shard), it should work,, the hidden path to the right should open. Try getting a little closer if you're not already.

Thanks guys, I'll try it with 1 AI partner. I'm not a fan of going completely solo :)

Grisby

Got to the part where I have to go on a huge item quest. I take it those particular deals are located on the B routes and it's probably better to do those with a party right?

Kinda sucks that the map selection (slight spoiler I guess)
thing is now random unless I pay for it.

Game is still rocking my world. The pacing is wonderful. Have a 15 minute or so mission and then hit town to do all of your stuff and then go at it again.
Oh, and the best part of online play is that I can just let everyone else click on doors, chests and runes. I don't even have to finagle the right stick, sogood.
Game changer right there.

How does scaling work if you run solo? Does it scale at all? Numbers? HP? Aggression?

Every time I run as a duo I end up having to protect something so am gun-shy when it comes to running a quest for the first time. I'd rather go in solo though, just to see clearly what is going on.

Also, another micro-discovery that makes me feel stupid. I was clicking on the Uncharted-like gleams in the background to get little treasures, but I thought you only click on them once. Nope, some of them can expel near endless geysers of riches until they are utterly spent.

*takes a long, thoughtful drag of a smoke*

So, fellow Dwarves, let's discus this class.
Hi, fellow dwarf player here, in the high 20s(EDIT--now in the mid 40s). Here's some tips and ideas.

The class is built around the same tactics regardless of enemy type, IMO. Being able to throw non bosses is really the only major diff. The goal is still to land as much Grand Smash as possible, then all the follow up combos you can land. Against a boss, evade (especially air evade, or up/down + evade) gets you out of trouble or gets you close to hammer pickup. Now for the breakdown.

• Respec potions come from the 3rd floor of the Chaos Labyrinth (new area unlocked in hard mode).
  • Most fire based attacks/bombs don't work on water levels, so don't prioritize Bomb Satchel/Fire barrel at first.
  • I don't use slide attack much on dwarf, doesn't seem to need it.
  • Don't chase the boulder :p I only use it when it's handy or the boss is throwing a fit (Beholder, Minotaur), or killing time for hammer pickup. Also, fire barrel replaces the boulder in similar situations.
After playing a bit and seeing what I use more and less, this is the layout I plan to respec on:
Class Skills:
Power Bomb (3?) Max it
Grand Smash (3?) Max it
Trinket Maniac (3?) Max it, I think it combines with Money is power (so now everything heals you)
Toughness (2?) Low priority, I move too fast to get hit, goes for Rock Skin too
Frenzy + Lethal Fists + Magma Infusion = Max them all, such a deadly must have combo
Eagle Dive = Max, utility move to avoid ground hazards and get in/behind on bosses
Powder Mastery = Medium priority - combines with everything just about, melee attacks, thrown items, bombs (all kinds), just not stuff like rings, scrolls, crossbows

Common Skills:
Wealth to Health (3?) Low priority IMO
Money is Power (3?) Have it at level 1 to combo with Trinket Maniac
Evasion (1) Max or at least get level 2
Nutritionist (1) Medium priority
Vitality Boost (1) Low Priority
Deep Pockets (1) Max it
Maintenance = Possibly Max?? Still trying to see if it combos with Class Items (I think it does)

How are all the skills I'm not using (Dwarf: Lethal Fists, Eagle Dive, Bomb Satchel, Fire Barrel, Magma Infusion, Powder Mastery. Common: Slide Attack)? Exactly how useful are the Bombs and Powder Mastery? I feel like they would be great at first and just become more and more useless in higher difficulties.
  • As noted above, Lethal fists is a must have for the Smash/Unarmed Frenzy combo.
  • Eagle Dive is my going-in move, and is a great way to avoid ground dangers
  • I ended up not using Bomb Satchel much, but rather Fire barrel
  • Magma Infusion as noted above is a must have for Smash/Unarmed Frenzy
  • Pro tip #1 - Put a second hammer in your equip list, now you can:
    • Pump up > Grand Smash > equip backup Hammer > Grand Smash > Equip first hammer > repeat
  • Pro tip #2 - Make use of double jump and double evade. This buys me a lot of time in the air to decide where I want to Eagle Dive or Cannonball (Down+attack)
  • Pro tip #3 - Learn how to shortcut. On equip page, go to the items you want fast access to and press left or right on d-pad. Then when in dungeon, hold UP on d-pad for shortcut
Oh, and continuing the fun from earlier:
Name: KneeDrop
Greeting: Hulkamania is running wild!
Selection: Can you smellellellellelllllll...
Resurrection: (Dramatic pause)...Hey Yo!
Dying: And that's the bottom line...
Nice, I went the Macho Man Randy Savage route for my dwarf :p

Mupod

Does anyone have ANY idea why my Amazon is allowed to equip two sets of earrings in bag 1, but not in any other bags? I'm baffled here.

Cryst

Took three attempts on the Wraith in multiplayer before I found a group (really, just one other player and some AI companions) that would do it properly. I thought having the narrator give you hints on the battles and environment was a clever touch to the game, but it seems many people ignore it and button mash away (only to be met with death), or just run away from the torch (which causes the below problem).

The other annoying thing about sharing a screen is it doesn't zoom out *that* wide on certain areas, thus cropping my rune bar or preventing me from reaching an escape exit when necessary. Even had to slowly drag an AFK (AFV?) player through an area with the screen pushing him/her along, :-/

Velocity

Shit, now I kind of feel bad for posting this. Got this in from Amazon yesterday, ordered it Tuesday evening of this week:

I haven't played anything of it yet, but I think I'm going either Elf or Sorceress. Most likely Elf. She looks fun.

Stantron

I've been playing the hell out of my Fighter but there are two parts of the game I don't yet understand.

The camp and the cooking minigame: How do I get to it? What do I have to do after a run that will get me to the camp and some cooking?

Rune magic: I bought all four runes. Is there a nice, handy list online yet? I went to the wikia I usually use but they're manual isn't finished.

Thanks!

I made a mini guide a few pages back.

To simplify it even further:
If "K shape", then BLUE + GREEN
If "W shape", then other wall rune + GREEN
If "F shape", then other wall rune + GREEN (if fail, BLUE)
If "O shape", then GREEN + either YELLOW, BLUE or "L" wall rune
If "sideways A", then YELLOW + GREEN, or RED + BLUE,
or YELLOW + "g" wall rune, or GREEN + "S" wall rune
If "upside down V", then RED + YELLOW, or RED + GREEN, or BLUE + "P" wall rune
If "c" and "g" wall runes, then RED
If "P" and "A" wall runes, then YELLOW

Astarte

I have never shouted out WHY as loud as I have done before encountering people online who keep getting stoned to death by Medusa.
Stop. Please stop.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just picked this up today. Played up to level 11 with a Wizard.

Is the game supposed to be this easy? I have absolutely trounced everything in my path so far using 3 AI teammates.

Is there a risk/reward mechanic in place if you take less teammates with you, such as getting more XP and gold?

Gold also seems pretty useless... I only need to spend it on repairs and resurrecting higher level teammates...

Just picked this up today. Played up to level 11 with a Wizard.

Is the game supposed to be this easy? I have absolutely trounced everything in my path so far using 3 AI teammates.

Is there a risk/reward mechanic in place if you take less teammates with you, such as getting more XP and gold?

Gold also seems pretty useless... I only need to spend it on repairs and resurrecting higher level teammates...

-Wait until you play through
stages, then it racks up.
-Not that I'm aware of.
-You'll need lots of gold to buy stuff and appraise gear found in stages.

Finalow

If I have to arrive at level 99 and get all the skill points (quests as well) I'm pretty much stuck with the wizard since I have no intention to do all those quests again with other characters.

Tokubetsu

I have never shouted out WHY as loud as I have done before encountering people online who keep getting stoned to death by Medusa.
Stop. Please stop.

Yeah I hate being that kinda person and I know it's first week but here's to hoping people aren't totally stupid in boss fights this time next week like they are now.

Top Bottom