• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Astarte

Yeah I hate being that kinda person and I know it's first week but here's to hoping people aren't totally stupid in boss fights this time next week like they are now.

I can only hope. I mean, after the whole narrator telling you "hey don't look at her or you get stoned" or after people get stoned 100x over I figured people would learn...
nope. nada.

It's a pretty fun game, but what's up with this sexiest character design?

I agree, everything in this game is sexy.

Tokubetsu

It's a pretty fun game, but what's up with this sexist character design?

-_-

I can only hope. I mean, after the whole narrator telling you "hey don't look at her or you get stoned" or after people get stoned 100x over I figured people would learn...
nope. nada.

I agree

First time I fought her I got lucky and had a immune to petrification talisman so it was kinda cheating but still haha.

Sanctuary

I'm already at 3/3 so it definitely doesn't give it the bonus unless at 0/3 levitate, it's doing 50% less damage. I'll try to find out.

It does hit a lot, so a balance thing maybe. Or like I said, it might actually be getting the bonus but by default it's 50% weaker than the other attacks. I'd need a caster with 0/3 levitate and a lightning rod to check, though.

Just came here to say that Levitate does in fact affect the lightning charge in the air.

For anyone with only 2/3 Levitate this is extremely easy to test. Just use Rannie in town as your dummy and do a before and after. The damage definitely goes up once you hit 3/3. It is by default weaker per hit, but it's for multiple enemies, and not simply weak trash. It has a much wider range than your lightning balls of doom.

Also, the damage is actually comparable for the mana. Right now, each of my balls are doing around 575 average and I can toss 12 before going dry. That's around 6900 damage. I can cast the lightning storm thing three times. It looks like each one hits a single enemy between 8 - 10 times (maybe more) and my average damage is 265. For the mana that's 6360 - 7950. It's TOTALLY worth using. The balls are for single targets, or two very large targets that you know you'll be able to hit all of the shots on during the way down.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just came here to say that Levitate does in fact affect the lightning charge in the air.

For anyone with only 2/3 Levitate this is extremely easy to test. Just use Rannie in town as your dummy and do a before and after. The damage definitely goes up once you hit 3/3.

Ah, so it's just naturally 50% weaker? Even worse now IMO!

"How else should I be dealing with air-borne enemies?"

Use grand smash underneath them. Then jump up+square (the air throw) hits multiple times on enemies that aren't throwable (i.e. bosses). So you use it and down+square, then cancel with evade then keep using down+square. That's all dwarf really has in the air. Doesn't really look like you're doing anything wrong to me. Besides not using grand smash as much as possible.

"I'll be using the multiple Grand Smash strategy once I get more bags. Whenever that is..."

You don't need multiple bags, you just need an empty slot in the bag you have currently. And I don't just mean the double smash thing, I mean using grand smash on cooldown, like the second it's available.

Sanctuary

Ah, so it's just naturally 50% weaker? Even worse now IMO!

No way. Read my edit. The balls will give you more burst upfront, and then you'll have to land and charge all of that back. The angle of them is also sketchy thanks to the way enemies move in and out of the different planes. For single (very large/boss) targets you use the balls, for almost everything else, use the storm.

Question:

These bones that I'm picking up, do they represent real people and their characters at all or are they made up by the game?

Second question:

If they are from real people how do I share mine?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No way. Read my edit. The balls will give you more burst upfront, and then you'll have to land and charge all of that back. The angle of them is also sketchy thanks to the way enemies move in and out of the different planes. For single (very large/boss) targets you use the balls, for almost everything else, use the storm.

If 'almost everything else' is like 8+ people on screen then sure. If you really can't aim the balls against a handful of individual targets then I guess spamming half screen AOEs is the way to go.

I hate that you can't bury bones simultaneously. I know you can bury bones all together, but I want to do it in a group because I want to keep some of them. It's a real chore to go one by one to bury bones, especially if you have a lot of them to bury like me.

Btw I'm lvl24 right now. I'm still a Wizard and still kicking butt.

Question:

These bones that I'm picking up, do they represent real people and their characters at all or are they made up by the game?

Second question:

If they are from real people how do I share mine?
When you go to bury/resurrect them, if you see a name by the ID then they're from a real player.

Dunno how you populate your bones though, I imagine by dying in that spot.

koryuken

I hate that you can't bury bones simultaneously. I know you can bury bones all together, but I want to do it in a group because I want to keep some of them. It's a real chore to go one by one to bury bones, especially if you have a lot of them to bury like me.

Btw I'm lvl24 right now. I'm still a Wizard and still kicking butt.

Amazon is sooooo strong lol. She totally fits my playstyle -- i.e. living on the edge. I love using the combination of Adrenaline (more dmg as hp is lower) with Incite Rage Skill (reduce your hp but go into berserk mode). By the time I am at 100 hp left, the boss is losing like 10% per one of my attacks. If you get the WarPaint (clones of yourself) skill into the mix, forget about it... In conclusion, I love killing bosses with little to no hp while doing insane amounts of dmg.

PS. I'm only level 20 but I killed the Warlock boss in like 10 seconds the first time I fought him.

I've been changing my color pallette inbetween dungeon romps to match my newest shield.
One talisman left and of course, it's on the red dragon's stage. Should be fun!

Sanctuary

If 'almost everything else' is like 8+ people on screen then sure. If you really can't aim the balls against a handful of individual targets then I guess spamming half screen AOEs is the way to go.

Often, the screen is filled with so much shit, or you have some random Dwarf player tossing bodies before you can reach them, yeah. It's very often worthwhile to use that and it's not a waste of mana. Besides, when a bunch of enemies die to one storm, it's not like you wasted any time and you didn't spend more mana than needed.

On a side note, scrolls and rings become very worthwhile later on. It's worth it to have one of them as your fourth "spell" slot". You can use them for trash clearing, or on bosses if you put them in a special kit. The damage they do for the cost is nothing to laugh at, and it allows you to just focus on three spells max for a long while, while you raise other skills. I don't know what's up with the replenish stock or whatever. I assumed that was the cost to get your charges back, but the charge use seems kind of random. It seems like if you have at least one charge left, then after you go back to town it automatically refills. Yet, if you use all of the charges, it vanishes.

Sushigod7

Finally got about 3hr in the last few days. I can't decide who to play so I'll run through a level with the character then switch to the Elf. As a result I have all characters at level 2 and Elf and Warrior at level 7. I wanted to roll boob witch but her attacks are to slow to start with and were annoying I'll have to play her later. Think I might go with Warrior to finish up the first play through. I find it really annoying you can't turn off all the pop up display shit like "Hit select for map" and the freaking narrator just keeps going STFU already I get it. Some designs decisions are just strange. Overall though I love the rest of it the loot and dungeon crawling is fun so far just need to concentrate on 1 character now to get done w/ first play through.

Giolon

I'm starting to wish I had gotten this game for Vita. Using the hand-icon is really clumsy, and there's a lot of it....

It is, but it also has the added benefit of revealing where treasure is when you pass nearby w/ the hand rather than having to either walk your character over or tap randomly on the screen.

The Vita version also has slowdown to deal with and the smaller screen that makes it harder to keep track of your character in all the chaos (not that it's particularly easy on PS3 to begin with...)

The Vita version's still great, and I'm glad I have it for playing on the go, but I feel the larger screen and better frame rate more than make up for the awkwardness with the cursor.

Also, I found that speeding up the cursor in the Options helped a bit.

Sushigod7

It's not so bad after you get used to it and figure out you can use L1 to click with it. (Am I the only one that it took a while to realize that?)

I didn't know I stopped reading screens right away to much tutorial crap, looks like I should have paid attention. lol

Finalow

how should I build the Dwarf? I guess I should max throw, but I'm not sure about that bare-handed buff, I mean do you really use the smash move and start fighting bare-handed that much? I had the idea that you fight with the weapon most of the time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
how should I build the Dwarf? I guess I should max throw, but I'm not sure about that bare-handed buff, I mean do you really use the smash move and start fighting bare-handed that much? I had the idea that you fight with the weapon most of the time.

Dwarf basically doesn't even need to have a weapon in his hands imo

Im loving this game but playing on the Vita can get a little confusing when there's a lot going on. I seem to get lost within the chaos!

Also, I know there are two bosses and alternate routes in each area. Question about them: Does the second route for the second bosses open up into its own full level or is it the same as the first route? How much of a difference is it?

Giolon

Im loving this game but playing on the Vita can get a little confusing when there's a lot going on. I seem to get lost within the chaos!

Also, I know there are two bosses and alternate routes in each area. Question about them: Does the second route for the second bosses open up into its own full level or is it the same as the first route? How much of a difference is it?

The B route is entirely distinct from the A route. Sometimes the flavor is more similar to the A route than others though. The levels branch wherever you encounter the dialogue character, and sometimes it's a route as long as the other one, but on at least one it's really short (whatever the Harpy Level is).

Dwarf is the exception to the rule on fighting with the weapon. Basically, you want to throw enemies and try to cluster them, then go for the Thor Smash (thats what i call Grand Smash). If you dont have a backup hammer to do it again, then its Dwarf beatdown time.

So, skills should reflect that playstyle: Upgrades to smash, throwing, unarmed, frenzy (combo), buffs (the magma ring skill), etc. And the occasional Eagle Dive with bombs upgrade to GTFO those "ain't nobody got time for that" situations.

Just got my Vita copy in from Amazon. I put it in the Vita and it's not registering. It's not installing or anything. I tried putting in all my other games and the Vita reads them. Anybody have this happen to them with this game or any game? Kinda bummed

So I played for about 3 hours tonight and hit level 10 on my Elf. So far its great, I rarely play games that long on a work night. I feel really weak compared to the AI partner's I have. I even have an A rank bow with 10-23dmg on it. I mostly just stand around while my team destroys everyone else. Can't wait for it to get hard =[

In other news, the hand control is really pissing me off. The hand just random flies up or to the left side of the screen and won't stay in place. It's the game and not my controller, the controller works fine in all my other games.

Top Bottom