• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Mupod

Just think of it this way, whenever I see a lone 'I' rune (looks like an upside down V with a dash over it), I cast extra item stock. Whenever I see a D, I cast double score. CG gets turned into enchanted coin geyser, so on. Gets easy to remember once you do it a few times.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I like extra point too but I haven't memorized those runes yet. I nearly have all of them 'collected' though. I need to write them down.

It's EIS and it's the only thing I activate when I see an 'I' rune so easy for me. Some people use it for The Phoenix Incantation which is good too but you need the P to be on the wall. E and S you always have with you.

MooMoo

That's what I do. The only rune I go out of my way for is perhaps Double Bonus Score.
Yeah. I don't want to make it sound like I'm hating on the runes. THF is nice. I love activating Dead Be Gone in a room filled with undead; it's just so damn satisfying to see the entire room evaporate into dust with coins flying everywhere at once. The other ones listed above are nice too. It's just that they can be so random at times that I never get the sense of "I HAVE to activate every rune I see." Again, they're fun to activate, but nowhere near a necessity and I often find myself running past them now just to keep the flow of the level going.

Just got a amulet making me immune to petrify.

YOLO MEDUSA time! I can look wherever I want now, bitch!

Ouch, I forgot about this part,
tumblr_mcm7mwGPAn1rjs517o1_500.gif

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I was just playing online and the other members of my party just stopped dead on any screen with runes and impatiently drew circles around them with their cursors, evidently waiting for me to make a rune word.

You write the one word you know, and all of a sudden the whole party decides you're on rune duty. Oh well, I got some rune-writin' practice in.

I'm a little amazed there wasn't a quest or trophy for activating every single type of rune effect.

My last two were Tri-Elemental Blast (T E B) and Sigil of Death (S O D). I just never thought to use the B from Double Score Bonus for an attack, nor did I think to use the O from Salve of Life for something as awesome as Sigil of Death.

I'm almost always at full health or more from food when I see O and L runes on the wall so I Sigil of Death constantly now.

Ultimadrago

I had a local friend that played with me through the final boss for Normal and they are wondering if they will gain experience from past the level cap. The game says when you max out that "Your total is still being counted." Does that mean when my friend reaches Hard mode that they will immediately gain all the excess experience they earned in Normal?

MooMoo

I had a local friend that played with me through the final boss for Normal and they are wondering if they will gain experience from past the level cap. The game says when you max out that "Your total is still being counted." Does that mean when my friend reaches Hard mode that they will immediately gain all the excess experience they earned in Normal?
That's what I thought would happen and unless there's something you have to physically do to trigger the overflow exp to register, then no =(

Edit: @ maomaoIYP Wait wtffff. I spent a lot of time at the cap and I didn't notice any level gains. I guess I didn't spend as much time as I thought I did then.

maomaoIYP

They will definitely gain exp. I spent a lot of time with my first character maxed at 35 in normal, when I reached hard my first dungeon run (just 1 floor in the labyrinth), gave me a whopping 10 levels.

I think it means you'll keep leveling while playing on normal but your stats are scaled down to 35. Like, my Elf is 48 but I was finishing some quests on normal. It still says I'm level 48 but I believe my stats and such are scaled down.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wish there was a demo...I'm a bit worried about playing this on the Vita because of the stuff people have said in terms of screen real-estate. :\

Giolon

Woohoo! I finally beat the Ancient Dragon on Normal. Played Amazon the whole way.

It took me about 6 tries to beat it - a lot harder than I expected. I like how the game justifies Hard/Infernal mode lol.

Ultimadrago

That's what I thought would happen and unless there's something you have to physically do to trigger the overflow exp to register, then no =(

Edit: @ maomaoIYP Wait wtffff. I spent a lot of time at the cap and I didn't notice any level gains. I guess I didn't spend as much time as I thought I did then.

They will definitely gain exp. I spent a lot of time with my first character maxed at 35 in normal, when I reached hard my first dungeon run (just 1 floor in the labyrinth), gave me a whopping 10 levels.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Edit: Just tried it. And they definitely gained their prior experience like Maomao stated.

Bogeypop

BRWWItGCUAEUwjQ.jpg:large

Got myself a new bow.

Gimme! Too bad most 5+ modifier bows I've seen have shitty durability. :(

EDIT: Scratch that, make it almost all S-rank bows have shitty durability. I had an A-rank bow around that level with item degradation reduction with like 3.5k+ durability and was able to do like 6 chain runs.

george_us

That's the only boss that I can say (as a Wizard) that I truly hate. Well, that and the
Red Dragon
in general since you being able to kill him seems ultimately random with the AI at least. Beat him on my first attempt, but then couldn't get him to half life any other attempt. I think I'll try it solo next time. It might just be a level scaling thing though. It seems like enemies do scale somewhat with your level. Otherwise, you would be able to kill crap in the low level area with single weak shots again and again.
A couple of the boss fights, including the
Gazer
are just poorly designed in general. The biggest offenders being
The Killer Rabbit and The Kraken.

Currently I'm using:

r8eOkLB.jpg

But when I get into a boss room, before activating the boss I switch to

TCchvVq.jpg

It only has 250 durability, which is why I only use it as a boss killer. I killed Kraken in 2 charged upward shots with this bow.

How the heck do you get the talismans? I thought you got them by doing the B routes through the areas, I did 3 dungeons using the B routes only and only got 2 of the 3 talismans.

How the heck do you get the talismans? I thought you got them by doing the B routes through the areas, I did 3 dungeons using the B routes only and only got 2 of the 3 talismans.

They're timed, so if you go take too long the game will help you finish them off and you don't get jack. Except Medusa, I don't think she's timed.

MooMoo

They're timed, so if you go take too long the game will help you finish them off and you don't get jack. Except Medusa, I don't think she's timed.
To add on to this, if you listen to the narrator (barf) you can usually tell what cues to look for. For example, with the Kraken the narrator mentions how his tentacles are wrapped around to pillars in an attempt to collapse the cave so you know you have to beat him before he destroys all three pillars in order to get the talisman.

RangerBAD

There's another route for Medusa that let's you escape instead of get the talisman. There's a door to the right when you first encounter her and that leads to another encounter where she doesn't turn to stone and give up the talisman.

There's another route for Medusa that let's you escape instead of get the talisman. There's a door to the right when you first encounter her and that leads to another encounter where she doesn't turn to stone and give up the talisman.

That's what happened to me. =[

Is there a list of bosses and the elements they are weak to?

Some help here guys?

I read some stuff about the Sorc/Wiz's lightning attack, hold square attack in air...actually doing less damage than normal air shots. I feel like I'm annihilating bosses with that air lightning storm move. Damage is immense! Their hp drops by the chunks.

Is there a list of bosses and the elements they are weak to?

The following is a list of all bosses and their elemental weaknesses taken from the 4gamers site.
> ANCIENT TEMPLE RUINS <
PATH A - Harpy (Demonic) (Element Weakness: Thunder)
PATH B - Medusa (Demonic)

> WALLACE'S UNGERGROUND LABYRINTH <
PATH A - Doom Beetle (Natural) (Element Weakness: Fire)
PATH B - Cyclops (Human)

> FORGOTTEN SANCTUARY <
PATH A - Golem (Object*)
PATH B - Arch Demon (Demonic)

> OLD CAPITAL <
PATH A - Wyvern Leader (Draconic) (Element Weakness: Ice)
PATH B - Red Dragon (Draconic) (Element Weakness: Ice) (Element Resist: Fire)

> MAGE'S TOWER <
PATH A - Warlock (Human)
PATH B - Chimera (Demonic)

> LOST WOODS <
PATH A - Gazer (Demonic) (Element Weakness: Fire / Ice / Lighning)
PATH B - Killer Rabbit (Natural) (Element Weakness: Fire)

> GHOST SHIP COVE <
PATH A - Pirates (Human) (Element Weakness: Lightning)
PATH B - Kraken (Natural) (Element Weakness: Lightning)

> BILBARON SUBTERRANEAN FORTRESS <
PATH A - Minotaur (Human) (Element Weakness: Lightning)
PATH B - Gargoyle Gate (Object*) (Element Resist: Fire)

> CASTLE OF THE DEAD: CATACOMBS <
PATH A - Vampire (Human) (Element Weakness: Lightning)
PATH B - Wraith (Undead) (Element Resist: Ice)

maomaoIYP

Some help here guys?

I read some stuff about the Sorc/Wiz's lightning attack, hold square attack in air...actually doing less damage than normal air shots. I feel like I'm annihilating bosses with that air lightning storm move. Damage is immense! Their hp drops by the chunks.

Off the top of my head, maybe the rest will know more. Some have no weaknesses if I'm not wrong.
Kraken - lightning
Red dragon - ice
Doom beetle - fire
Vampire - lightning
Gazer - fire
Wyvern - ice
edit: beaten

Mupod

Alright. Hope it opens up. I know everyone and reviews are recording 20hr playing times but I have to see it to believe it for myself.

Still can't believe that with a beat em up!

By the way, is a lot of that playing time grinding for higher levels?

I would say a lot of my playtime so far is specifically doing sidequests to get skill points - if you just want EXP that's easy enough to get by chaining dungeons in multiplayer. Although to be honest I'm even more motivated by the art you unlock by doing quests,
my god all those monster girls

About to go in cold, thinking of choosing Dwarf, anything specific I should know? Early tips/tricks, stuff to look out for or not waste or whatever?

Can you "screw up" a character stat/skill wise?

I would say a lot of my playtime so far is specifically doing sidequests to get skill points - if you just want EXP that's easy enough to get by chaining dungeons in multiplayer. Although to be honest I'm even more motivated by the art you unlock by doing quests,
my god all those monster girls

That's good. I'm glad there's a lot of side quests.

Mupod

About to go in cold, thinking of choosing Dwarf, anything specific I should know? Early tips/tricks, stuff to look out for or not waste or whatever?

You can't screw up, there's respecs later. And the early skills only cost one point so it doesn't hurt to grab em, but if you want to invest further in them they start costing more. Basically just get what you feel is helping towards your playstyle.

You might want to try more than one character - I went in expecting to stick with Dwarf, but Amazon was a lot more fun for me. I'll revisit Dwarf eventually though. I will likely focus mine around unarmed damage and his power attack since that's what I see most dorfs doing online.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay, I finished Normal at 34. I noticed the lowest lvl boss is 40. Should I grind it up on normal or move to hard anyway?

Vampires weak to lightning.

Say wuuuuut. Atlus, man, changing the genre in one fell swoop.

Okay, I finished Normal at 34. I noticed the lowest lvl boss is 40. Should I grind it up on normal or move to hard anyway?
You should be ok. I had the same concern.

Hell, I was doing B routes that are level 54 at 40ish.

You unlocked around 20 new quests at the guild by finishing Normal. If you finish all those quests before moving onto hard, you'll end up at around level 47-48.

I hate having unfinished quests so I powered through all of them before letting myself move on.

Platy

Played the game at a friend's house.

Game "interface" is INSANELY complicated in local co-op, SPECIALY if you play with 4 players.

Need to enter a place to use skill points and only one person can do this at time ? BOOOOOOOORRRING
It would have been incredibly easy to divide the screen in 4 and let everyone up their skills at the same time, specialy if you let this screen appear right after you level up =P
Also the game don't explain ANYTHING about how the spellbooks (or anything that takes item slots) works and it took some precious time to figure it out.

The actual GAME parts (the beat em up) is awesome ! =D
Loved the "adventure" mouse thing with secrets and stuffs like that.

10/10 for the beat em up parts
3/10 for the "prepare" parts

Yuterald

Finished the game on normal with a level 29 Dwarf solo. This is probably Vanillaware's best game technically, although I still think Odin Sphere is their coolest game. Unlocked hard mode and the new post game objective, so cool! Going to continue to work on my Dwarf until I hit LV99, do all quests, finish the remaining difficulties, etc. before I move onto another class. I'm just OBSESSED with how the Dwarf plays. =D

Ultimadrago

There are good Dwarf tips here and here.

You should also consider equipping two weapons to get double the Grand Smash goodness!

Have you tried searching Craigslist? If nothing else, wait till gamescom where there could be price drop :)

If I still lived in NYC I'd use craigslist in a heart beat but I'm in Ohio atm and these rednecks barely know how to use a computer to check their email :p

Finally defeated the
Ancient Dragon
on normal mode. Failed 4 times on the vita, failed another 3 times on PS3 with fellow GAF member
CastAction
, and finally got it done with 2 AI character by taking all the food items, hiding in the corners, somehow dodging all of the bosses attacks.

I'm only at level 31 so I need to go back and play a bunch of quest, Morgan's Webb was the last one I did before going all in for the boss B routes.

Top Bottom