• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Huh, didn't realize Medusa ran off. Thought it was strange that she seemingly didn't have a time limit. I guess that explains why >.>

Someone tell me exactly what the Chimera's weakness is. I always feel like I'm just throwing darts at a wall when fighting it.

zulux21

Played the game at a friend's house.

Game "interface" is INSANELY complicated in local co-op, SPECIALY if you play with 4 players.

Need to enter a place to use skill points and only one person can do this at time ? BOOOOOOOORRRING
It would have been incredibly easy to divide the screen in 4 and let everyone up their skills at the same time, specialy if you let this screen appear right after you level up =P
Also the game don't explain ANYTHING about how the spellbooks (or anything that takes item slots) works and it took some precious time to figure it out.

The actual GAME parts (the beat em up) is awesome ! =D
Loved the "adventure" mouse thing with secrets and stuffs like that.

10/10 for the beat em up parts
3/10 for the "prepare" parts

the skill points and what not is a pain yes, but the fact that only first player gains main story progress is more of a pain as it results in you having to grind though the other local players as first player to unlock some later features
the rune magic stuff, as second player doesn't get any rune stones -_-

I'm slowly working my way through the game though, my wife and my work schedules have not been kind to use playing dragon's crown, but we are getting there, I think we are level 18 now.

megalowho

Few hours in, really enjoying the gameplay loop and presentation so far. Might be my favorite from Vanillaware yet, up there with GrimGrimoire for me. Liking the Dwarf and Elf the most, I can see myself leveling up a few different classes over time. Good game.

Giolon

is it better to bury bones or to resurrect people?

Also, what does praying do?

There is a limit to how many characters you can have in your tavern. There's also a limit to how many bone piles you can have. Burying is a free option to get rid of bones, and there's also a small chance to get an item from any bones you bury.

maomaoIYP

Speaking of respecs, what exactly is the process to gain Amnesia Potions and are they limited in any chosen story?
Beat 3 floors of the labyrinth. It's an item so you can use it across all your characters. You can only get it once per 3 floors per character though, so it's limited in that sense.

Okay, I finished Normal at 34. I noticed the lowest lvl boss is 40. Should I grind it up on normal or move to hard anyway?

Play some labyrinth, that will get you up to speed in no time. The first floor starts at lvl 20, the next at 30, and so on.

Here's a mini guide to throwing:

Damage doesn't happen when they hit the side of the screen and bounce back, only when they hit another object/enemy/the ground.

To throw straight: press square while walking forward, down, or stick is in neutral
To throw upward: press square while walking up (or holding up) on stick
Aerial down shot: press square while holding forward, down, or stick is in neutral
Aerial straight shot: press square while holding up in the air on stick

You can grab airborne/flying/wall bouncing enemies by jump > up + square. Your animation will be different (you'll be rolling with them while falling). Doesn't seem to do extra damage, but if you have power shot, it will make a shockwave on the ground for more damage.

You can infinite combo an enemy by throw > jump grab > aerial straight throw > jump grab > repeat, but no damage is inflicted until they hit the ground or another enemy. Kinda funny.

Wow thanks! Now I can actually tell where I'm throwing the enemies at, and I'm just flowing through the dungeons now. Never knew the Dwarf could be this fun.

Stantron

I just finished a long sequece of dungeons. Looped once plus a few more. Ended up with 18 S rank, 18 A... Went from level 56 to 61. I would have kept going but the lag was getting bad and I didn't want to chance losing everything like what happened before.

Hag

To encounter the
Demon Lord
in the labyrinth of chaos is random or theres a certain floor? I just did 4 floors though

Grisby

Bout to go to bed and all I'll I'm thinking about is playing more of this game.

Probably need to start doing the orb stuff and moving on to beating the game with my Elf but I still have a few side-quests to do. Need to hope online and try that out as I've mostly been rolling solo.

is there any reason not to get rid of or "sell" the starting items you get that sell for 0 gold? I'm assuming just dump them but I don't want to deal with some they secretly are used for some crap later on situation

eshwaaz

Starting playing this Friday night; have put in about 8 hours. I'm pretty floored by how good it is. The whole game just screams, "labor of love." Just fantastic.

I'm soloing as Elf - great fun, but I can't say I'm particularly good. I've been replaying levels to grind, but it's been so enjoyable I don't mind. I only use AI team members if I'm really getting trounced - I just don't like the confusing chaos that results.

Ultimadrago

For those who have beaten hard or above, how much did you prioritize Vitality Boost/Nutritionist/Health from Coin. Do they matter much less in higher level play?

Man, this game is so sexist. Have you guys ever attacked the townspeople?
Ah. Did you get a black eye too? Gotta keep a safe distance from those things. (irony: your name + this subject matter)
is there any reason not to get rid of or "sell" the starting items you get that sell for 0 gold? I'm assuming just dump them but I don't want to deal with some they secretly are used for some crap later on situation
The starting health potions you get always reset, so technically they are better than the store bought ones which only restock so much.

maomaoIYP

For those who have beaten hard or above, how much did you prioritize Vitality Boost/Nutritionist/Health from Coin. Do they matter much less in higher level play?

My amazon is in infernal. 2 in vitality boost, 2 in nutritionist, 1 in health from coin. I've had this since normal mode.

Ultimadrago

Ah. Did you get a black eye too? Gotta keep a safe distance from those things. (irony: your name + this subject matter)

I think he's talking about the fact that apple man can get knocked down silly, but lady with item on head is a Super Saiyan!

My amazon is in infernal. 2 in vitality boost, 2 in nutritionist, 1 in health from coin. I've had this since normal mode.

Cool, I guess some bare necessities could work! It feels weird having absolutely none after respecing.

joesmokey

Do companions level with you or are they static? Is there any advantage to not bring companions along or should you always go out with a full party (aside from self-imposed difficulty)?

Game seems to have a lot of potential but so far is a fairly slow start. I'm a lvl 10 Wizard and haven't found it hard yet, just annoying to constantly switch between regening magic and sprinting.

Going back to dungeons for loot is pretty addicting, though I don't understand the ranking system yet.

Idk if this is just me, but the online play in this is pretty laggy and jank. I understand this was probably at the bottom of the priority list for this game, is it like this for everyone?

Idk if this is just me, but the online play in this is pretty laggy and jank. I understand this was probably at the bottom of the priority list for this game, is it like this for everyone?
It runs perfectly for me, never had lag or a disconnect. But I'm playing with friends and not randoms. Maybe the host was just torrenting a 3D printable gun at the time.

I think he's talking about the fact that apple man can get knocked down silly, but lady with item on head is a Super Saiyan!
Well, she has to be extra tough to keep the goods from spilling. Oh, and the item too.

Do companions level with you or are they static? Is there any advantage to not bring companions along or should you always go out with a full party (aside from self-imposed difficulty)?
They don't level, and you can't fix their gear when it breaks. But, bones you revive of player characters usually have several bags, so if one bag of gear breaks, you can switch to bag #2, etc. Also, there are times when you want a full party for sure, and times where you want to be solo, for sure. Full party = quests that require you to beat the boss in under 2 mins. Solo = quests that want you to beat the boss solo, or go for an objective that the NPCs could screw up for you.

It's been mostly smooth for me, but for one or two games. It's usually someone's crappy network settings that messes up the whole room (was the same for DnD:CoM). For PS3, it's someone on a NAT3 connection I suspect.

I still can't believe there isn't voice chat online, this is 2013 ffs.
Yeah that's been a big gripe, and it wouldn't be half as bad if the PS3 had independent chat support like the 360. If it did, I wouldn't mind at all.

When I get the chance I am definitly going to respec. Im in Hard Mode right now at lvl 42 and I feel like I wasted points into shockwave. Anybody can recommend some good Fighter Builds Im all ears.

This game has no voice chat? I was wondering why I couldn't hear people talk on the Vita version, you are speaking of the Vita version, right?

Yeah I took 3 hours looking for my ps3 headset and then found out this game was stuck in the 80s :p But i'm takling ps3 so I'm guessing the vita has none either.

DarkKyo

Just played some of this for the first time with my friend and my brother. Super fun.. I played Amazon, my brother played Dwarf, and our third was the Elf. Game was definitely worth the wait!

I quite enjoyed the Amazon's animations...

Does anyone have experience with using the Sorceress' Curse vs. Petrification ability? Why does Curse seem so much worse than Petrification?

I still can't believe there isn't voice chat online, this is 2013 ffs.
This is a small game company. It's their first time even making a game with action-based online gameplay. Cut them some slack.

Sanctuary

I think they're scaled down in power, but the number of uses for usable skills remained the same. So I have no idea what they did.

I can't speak for damage, but I do know that things like the +mana and +regen speed talent do not get affected by going down a difficulty. You can also still gain levels, even though prior to beating normal, it caps you at 35. So it doesn't really seem like you are treated like a level 35 character. Maybe enemy scaling just caps at 35 on normal.

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
I don't understand some people.

The narrator says what to do on the Catacombs B path boss.

And yet people blindly attack the boss instead of actually doing what the narrator said to do.

FFS,
if the statue isn't lit, don't attack the wraith

Just beat it on normal about 15 minutes ago.
The "Thank you for playing" right at the end felt great. Really miss the whole "and you!" stuff.

Velcro Fly

Just went online for the first time and got in games with some randoms. Was pretty fun and I made a ton of gold and got some good loot. Now have two bags full of gear ready to go. It was quite a bit of fun not having to rely on the AI. Seemed most of the people I was with were fine with doing a few A-side dungeons. I pretty much wrecked the minotaur with my dwarf though. Just get in there and wreck with my circle attack and then try to stay behind him. Then dodge roll in and pick my weapons back up in time to wreck some more. Did about 2.5 dungeons and probably would have had item durability to do at least two more. Definitely a ton of fun. Definitely will try again.

maomaoIYP

I hate the lightning staff. I hate it to no end.
While the fire staff is extremely awesome, it really sucks when you're in the labyrinth and you get the
kraken
as the boss.

Giolon

I hate the lightning staff. I hate it to no end.
While the fire staff is extremely awesome, it really sucks when you're in the labyrinth and you get the
kraken
as the boss.

Are you kidding me? It's the only staff that can hit clear to the other side of the screen, and that jump attack's DPS is off the charts compared to the other staffs and most of the melee characters even (unless my Amazon has Beserk up, my Wizard buddy w/ Lighting Staff and jump-attack Cyclopes hands to death faster than I can for example).

maomaoIYP

Aside from the high MP cost, what's wrong with the lightning staff?

Are you kidding me? It's the only staff that can hit clear to the other side of the screen, and that jump attack's DPS is off the charts compared to the other staffs and most of the melee characters even (unless my Amazon has Beserk up, my Wizard buddy w/ Lighting Staff and jump-attack Cyclopes hands to death faster than I can for example).

The high mp costs always mess me up. I'm playing more by intuition rather than watching the mana gauge, so I end up overestimating the number of attacks I have left. Also I'm a very big fan of ice and fire's up attack, which lasts a long time.

The high mp costs always mess me up. I'm playing more by intuition rather than watching the mana gauge, so I end up overestimating the number of attacks I have left. Also I'm a very big fan of ice and fire's up attack, which lasts a long time.
I have been doubting Ice recently. I just feel like I'm not doing enough damage to support the team, and the freezing effect only lasts a second or so when it procs. I feel like my Wizard kills much faster with Fire, and he's also safer. I'm going to try going back to Lightning, I think. Does anyone know the proc rate on stuns?

Also, has anyone experimented with Curse and Petrification? I was underwhelmed by the latter.

Top Bottom