• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

derwalde

i played 5 hrs with the elf and it doesnt click with me. the dps without arrrows is just to low and i have the feeling you have to rely on non-bow-attacks a lot. what skillpath is recommend: kicks(boots) vs. dagger vs. elemental lore?

kicks have low dps but are at least fun to me. i dont like the attack flow of elemental lore (standing in one place for too long) and daggers seem to be too much of a hassle.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bosses have elemental weaknesses?

This game.

Not going to worry about it since I love punching things to death anyway. =)

maomaoIYP

I have been doubting Ice recently. I just feel like I'm not doing enough damage to support the team, and the freezing effect only lasts a second or so when it procs. I feel like my Wizard kills much faster with Fire, and he's also safer. I'm going to try going back to Lightning, I think. Does anyone know the proc rate on stuns?

Also, has anyone experimented with Curse and Petrification? I was underwhelmed by the latter.
I'm using a fully leveled curse as a solo sorceress now. At max level it shoots out three successively large orbs which turns everything caught inside into frogs. It doesn't last forever though, but usually long enough for me to kill them. I use it to get rid of the harder enemies like black skeletons.

Started playing this today as an amazon, despite some annoying things I'm really enjoying it. Collecting talismans now. Dat amazon animations.

I'm using a fully leveled curse as a solo sorceress now. At max level it shoots out three successively large orbs which turns everything caught inside into frogs. It doesn't last forever though, but usually long enough for me to kill them. I use it to get rid of the harder enemies like black skeletons.
Ohhhh, that makes a lot of sense! I thought it randomly polymorphed 3 enemies, which...is ass.

Can you estimate the duration? Max Blizzard = 10 seconds, Max Petrification = 15 seconds. Does it ever get resisted?

Once I hit like level 50 I'll just have to make a second save file to mess with builds. It's just not possible to see how everything works when it's maxed out.

maomaoIYP

Ohhhh, that makes a lot of sense! I thought it randomly polymorphed 3 enemies, which...is ass.

Can you estimate the duration? Max Blizzard = 10 seconds, Max Petrification = 15 seconds. Does it ever get resisted?

Once I hit like level 50 I'll just have to make a second save file to mess with builds. It's just not possible to see how everything works when it's maxed out.

I'm not sure about resistance. There's been a few times where I could have sworn an entire mob standing in front of me was caught in the blast, but some where left standing. I do know it doesn't work on bosses, they just take a small amount of damage from it.
Technically you don't have to start a new file to try skill out. Get the amnesia potion from the labyrinth, reset your character's skills and save. Then try out whatever you want, then quit via XMB to reset back to your save.
So no tips for fighters or anything that can point me in the right direction?
I finished fighter on normal solo really just by doing his 4 hit combo over and over again. Occasionally I would spam his "spam-square" skill move and bash, which gives i-frames and that's it. I don't know if this will work on harder difficulties though.

Even though I've given some advice on Dwarf so far, I'm seeking advice myself from the real masters (I'm sure there are plenty of 99's out there by now).

Here is my final goal/setup once I have all the SPs (155).

Dwarf Skills:
Power Bomb 10/10
Lethal Fists 10/10
Grand Smash 5/5
Frenzy 5/5
Eagle Dive 5/5 (I know ppl don't like this one, but with max Powder, this hits HARD)
Magma Infusion 5/5 (6 uses at 4/5, 12 at 5/5, hella good)
Powder Mastery 9/10 (needed the last 5 SP, plus 80% > 100% isn't worth 5 SP)
*Trinket Maniac 1/10
*Rock Skin 2/5
Toughness 5/5 (dmg reduction, right? and resistance to knockdown?)
* = Needed to drop 3 SP between Rock Skin or Trinket to access 5th level of Toughness

Common Skills:
Evasion 1/3 (adds +1 to evasion attempts, for total of 2, which is enough)
Deep Pockets 3/3

Yeah, didn't invest much in common at all, a lot of it has to do with item management (re-uses, cooldowns, minor boosts to health recovery). All of which is, IMO, not needed for Dwarf when played right (IE, attacking from behind, using 2x Grand Smash, throwing, etc).

Thanks for any input.

I finished fighter on normal solo really just by doing his 4 hit combo over and over again. Occasionally I would spam his "spam-square" skill move and bash, which gives i-frames and that's it. I don't know if this will work on harder difficulties though.

Yeah I soloed the final boss on normal. The only reason I am asking for tips is about skills like shockwave are they worth it in the long run. Now Tempest Edge(i think thats what its called) is extremely solid on pretty much any foe. Im definitely gonna level that one up. I just have my questions about the other skills. I have currently 4 points in both wealth to health and money is power skills. I think either 4 or 5 in vitality and maybe 3 in nutrition. Im currently level 42. So far ive been lucky to get some good drops but I dont know I feel like I am missing..... something? Is bash useful? I picked up the skill for random guarding and its paid off so much. Example while battling
Ancient Dragon he cast his whirlwind spell and I randomly guarded all the hits. It was fantastic.
I also noticed a lot of skills for coop play. Like guarding boosting the attack of whoever you are partnered with. Is there any in depth wiki's out there yet?

Velcro Fly

What does HP max at and do you naturally hit that max leveling to 99? Are the points adding to max HP worth it or not worth it? I'm currently playing my Dwarf but I guess that could go for any class.

Sanctuary

Are you kidding me? It's the only staff that can hit clear to the other side of the screen, and that jump attack's DPS is off the charts compared to the other staffs and most of the melee characters even (unless my Amazon has Beserk up, my Wizard buddy w/ Lighting Staff and jump-attack Cyclopes hands to death faster than I can for example).

The DPS on the regular jump attack is pretty insane, but then so is the cost. It's the single best rod to use against the Kraken, but not much else. Fire is all around more useful for both it's in the air + O charge, and it's on the ground up + O. Ice is more defensive, but I'd still rather use both Fire and Ice over Lightning except in the very rare instances where you get a crazy as hell rod like I did. It was something like +18% Lit damage, +50 mana, +13% damage and some other random mod.

A Fire rod with +%fire damage and +% damage is infinitely more useful due to it's effect on Blaze and Flame Burst.

Seik

Banned
So I didn't start a new game yesterday as I planned, I was waiting for a friend to come back from work today so that we could start a new game at the same time.

We fucking played 6h30 straight, it's almost 6AM. It's been years since something like that happened.

This game.

maomaoIYP

Yeah I soloed the final boss on normal. The only reason I am asking for tips is about skills like shockwave are they worth it in the long run. Now Tempest Edge(i think thats what its called) is extremely solid on pretty much any foe. Im definitely gonna level that one up. I just have my questions about the other skills. I have currently 4 points in both wealth to health and money is power skills. I think either 4 or 5 in vitality and maybe 3 in nutrition. Im currently level 42. So far ive been lucky to get some good drops but I dont know I feel like I am missing..... something? Is bash useful? I picked up the skill for random guarding and its paid off so much. Example while battling
Ancient Dragon he cast his whirlwind spell and I randomly guarded all the hits. It was fantastic.
I also noticed a lot of skills for coop play. Like guarding boosting the attack of whoever you are partnered with. Is there any in depth wiki's out there yet?

I stayed clear of the coop based skills because I was playing solo. Bash is arguably the best skill because you can block whenever you want, and as long as you've blocked something you can bash to give you instant invincibility frames. It's not much, but it's enough for his 4 hit combo. I don't know how was things are dying at your level, but I liked this combo very much.
Square x 3, d + square, square x 4, up + square, up + square, air combo of your choice.

The auto block skill also sets off the group wide attack buff, and maxed out it goes off all the time, its pretty amazing. Maxing out Tempest Edge as soon as possible will likely give you the most damage mileage of any skills as you will use it the majority of the time along with the air cyclone.

I would say any fighter should also get the evasion common skill as soon as possible, it is fantastic for extending combos and staying safe. It even lets you completely avoid alot of big boss attacks by just spamming evade as they go off. I am level 82 right now and still going strong with fighter and actually really enjoying him even more so then alot of other classes.

Ryuuga

Banned
PSN_ID: Crusocus
Playtime: Weekends; After 6 PM (Weekdays)
--------------------------

Wow this game really opens up after unlocking the cooperative play. I was holding back a bit since my original plan was to play with a few friends but they don't seem as enthusiastic about the game as I. Looking forward to playing with anyone.

Velcro Fly

Game is addictive as hell. I love being a massive bowling ball with the Dwarf. I jump up and press down+square to just land on things and do damage. Between throws, frenzy, my circle attack, and aerials/landing on enemies, I'm hardly using explosives. I still haven't got the aim on them down.

Went on a great multiplayer run just now. Leveled up about 3 times at the end of it so I'm level 25 now. Bosses are so cool.

I also feel like I could just grab a few AI partners and hit up some levels and have just as much fun.

I've put in close to 10 hours since release and I feel like I'm nowhere near finished. This game is seriously so good. Hope it's doing well sales wise. It deserves to do well.

Just completely blown away that the Vita is going to have handheld game of the year for me two years in a row.

Underground Labyrinth B-Route boss.
How do I close the door?

I have the key in hand and nothing happens.

Attack the keyhole with the key using Square. That'll put the key in the hole and the door will slowly start closing, but every once in awhile
a Cyclops hand will reach out and try to stop it.
Then you have limited time to
attack the hand to make it let go or another Cyclops will come out.
Rinse and repeat.

anddo0

Attack the keyhole with the key using Square. That'll put the key in the hole and the door will slowly start closing, but every once in awhile
a Cyclops hand will reach out and try to stop it.
Then you have limited time to
attack the hand to make it let go or another Cyclops will come out.
Rinse and repeat.

Thanks.

I S-Ranked it.

What's the best place to find owlbears? Just want to finish that quest with them.

I started and restarted Mage's Tower over and over until I finished it. Literally just the first screen would suffice, but I like to go into the hidden room 2 screens right of the first screen as well for a total of 3 chests (1 on the first screen, 2 in the hidden room from blocking mage attacks with a great shield).

There can be 0-3 owlbears there so just keep leaving and coming back.

Any advice for fighter build? What should I focus on?

Just lvl 11 so far but I love this game

That's a hard question to answer since a big part of whether any given skill is useful is whether or not you yourself

a. feel like it fits into your playstyle
b. find the skill fun to use.

So the best answer I can give you is that if a skill sounds interesting, get at least the first level of it. You'll be able to respec your skills later, way before you run out of skill points to use so you won't be missing out on anything by trying everything out.

Here's a handy skill calculator: http://fruitriin.sakura.ne.jp/DrgnsCrwnSS/eng/

Caerith, the skill calculator link might be good to add to the OP as well.

Espada

Any advice for fighter build? What should I focus on?

Just lvl 11 so far but I love this game

Cyclone Masher
Tempest Edge
Rebuke
Cover Allies
Shield Tactics

Cyclone Masher lets you hang in the air. The more points you put into it, the larger the slash range, and the slower you fall (meaning more damage on target). Combine this with jumps and evades and you can stay off the ground for a LONG time. Excellent anti-air.

Tempest Edge is a flurry of slashes on the ground, and the more points you put into it the more damage it does. IIRC putting more points boosts the time it lasts, which you definitely want.

Both Cyclone Masher and Tempest Edge will be your go-to offensive abilities.

Cover Allies is mandatory (IMO) on any Fighter. At level 1 it boosts your attack 30% when you guard an attack. At level 2 it's coverage range (to defend your teammates) jumps and the attack boost you get is 70% now. Level 3 creates a large shielded area and doubles your attack stat. Cover Allies + Tempest Edge/Cyclone Masher = Beautiful

Reflex Guard is incredible. It auto-guards an incoming attack, negating damage. At max level it blocks 50% of attacks. What's even more impressive is that COVER ALLIES' ATTACK BOOST ACTIVATES EVEN WITH AUTO-GUARDS. That means Fighter gets a free attack boost on a regular basis. Max this and Cover Allies ASAP.

The last one is Shield Tactics and should not be overlooked. It makes you capable of guarding against really strong attacks or lots of incoming blows without being blasted back (and losing your sword). Being able to block a boss's attack and punish feels so damn good.

Those are the 5 Fighter Skills that I consider must-haves.

Some others to deserve lots of love are Judgment (falling thrust into the ground with shockwave) and Rebuke (strengthens the power of Megasmash and any other shockwaves the Fighter produces). Boosting Judgment makes it do more damage and increases the shockwave size. Boosting Rebuke makes the shockwaves stronger.
Being able to jump over a mob and drop down onto them like a bomb feels great.

anddo0

Best run yet! 7 dungeon chain, 5 talismans, went up 5 levels and a bunch of S-rank loot.
I'm now a lvl 32 Elf. I think I read somewhere the lvl cap for normal is 36?

At any rate, only 3 talismans left. I'm saving the Old Capital boss for last.

Best run yet! 7 dungeon chain, 5 talismans, went up 5 levels and a bunch of S-rank loot.
I'm now a lvl 32 Elf. I think I read somewhere the lvl cap for normal is 36?

At any rate, only 3 talismans left. I'm saving the Old Capital boss for last.

35 and any exp you gain will roll over once you go to hard mode so nothing is wasted.

tips for a good sorc build?

Max Gravity is gdlk for large mobs. It's likely trash before you max it though, but I never used it before then.

Blizzard and Rock Press are essentials.

Thunderhead is trash.

Protect is good for others, but the Sorceress herself doesn't really benefit.

Spirit Up and Concentrate are likely also essentials.

I love Animate Skeletons, but I doubt it's essential unless you're soloing.

Create Food is good and only needs to be Lv3.

Vitality Boost is unnecessary.

I think the main thing is deciding if you want to play support or actually go in and really kill stuff.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bummed out that only the party leader seems to get credit for completing the final boss. Going to have to wait until my SO's back later this afternoon to continue (my Sorceress is full support and I'm nowhere near good enough to do it alone).

Been playing this every free moment I have. Best game I've played in a long, long time. Really excited to try out dwarf.

I've been through the ancient temple going on 8 times now and can't figure out the rune statues thing.

Found plenty other rune combos, but none for the statues the narrator keeps going on about.

I've been through the ancient temple going on 8 times now and can't figure out the rune statues thing.

Found plenty other rune combos, but none for the statues the narrator keeps going on about.

It's terrible localization/writing on the game's part. The narrator says you need to go to the ancient temple, but to actually progress you need to go to the dungeon called "Forgotten Sanctuary" which is also an ancient temple. Just not THE "Ancient Temple".

I focused on quests last night and am down to three before the final boss. I love the rune riddles. Got all that knocked out and found secret treasure as well. Grinding in this game is a hella lot more fun than I anticipated.

Question, do more quests unlock at higher difficulty modes?

After clearing normal, you get around 20 more quests: 9 for doing special things at A path bosses, 9 for soloing B path bosses (these unlock as you clear the new A path boss quests), and a couple miscellaneous like saving 10 fairies.

After those, though, that's it.

Been wanting to pick this game up but can't decide between PS3 and Vita.

I'd like to get it on the Vita, seems like a game I could play in bursts and it'd be great to take with me but I haven't really heard about performance on the Vita.

Does it run equally well on both systems? Other than local mp are there any benefits to the PS3 version that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Jawmuncher

I really hope they can somehow patch player visibility. More and more when playing with a group I've been noticing that I get lost with my amazon. Not even the red circle helps much. Minor complaint though for the most part.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Been wanting to pick this game up but can't decide between PS3 and Vita.

I'd like to get it on the Vita, seems like a game I could play in bursts and it'd be great to take with me but I haven't really heard about performance on the Vita.

Does it run equally well on both systems? Other than local mp are there any benefits to the PS3 version that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Vita performance is slightly worse, but no big deal. If you have the option of buying either, I'd go with the Vita simply because it's portable and the touchscreen works a lot better than the right stick.

And if you know someone else with a Vita, ad-hoc play is much better than local on the PlayStation 3 (you don't need to wait for local players to do their repairs/selling/quest returns one by one, since you have own screen). You part ways after a mission and meet back in the stables or portal to continue.

Watched a bit of this game on Twitch last night and it looks like a blur with so much shit happening on screen. I assume it starts out less crazy, and that you can understand what's happening as it ramps up?

cj_iwakura

Did anyone solve the puzzle with the chest behind the gate in the third dungeon?

Also, how does rune magic work? The option's greyed out.

Top Bottom