• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Watched a bit of this game on Twitch last night and it looks like a blur with so much shit happening on screen. I assume it starts out less crazy, and that you can understand what's happening as it ramps up?

It gets easier to follow as you play, but I generally prefer to solo through most of the early game. Doing so highlights the combat and improves your own skillset, and once you level enough to upgrade more abilities and start getting some muscle memory and timing down, it gets a lot easier to jump in with AI players or co-op and not feel lost.

Haven't gotten the PS3 version yet, but I might end up preferring it to vita. I find the touchscreen a bit useful but much of the time I just use the right stick anyway as the vita still cramps my hands a bit, and moving my hand off the action to tap the screen is a bit tiresome.

AEREC

Been wanting to pick this game up but can't decide between PS3 and Vita.

I'd like to get it on the Vita, seems like a game I could play in bursts and it'd be great to take with me but I haven't really heard about performance on the Vita.

Does it run equally well on both systems? Other than local mp are there any benefits to the PS3 version that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

I would go with Vita first, that way you can play solo whenever you wan to get the hang of the game and level your characters. Once it gets into higher difficulties with more stuff going on on screen, get the PS3 version for the smoother framerate (havent seen the PS3 version though)

Vita performance is ok, just dont have multiple Wiz/Sorc's in your party.

However the cursor navigation seems like it would get old quick on the PS3.

Ill probably get the PS3 version when it goes on sale or the price drops.

JokerAceX

hey guys need help doing route B on pirates cove...
when fighting the kraken do you have to reload the canon's manually? if you have a team of ai will they do this automatically and how long do you have to survive to get the bonus treasure?

jorgeton

If folks are interested in the game and are interested in online play, I highly recommend getting the PS3 version. The vita's online play sucks, IMO. I can barely ever get on a game, and if I do I get disconnected within 5 minutes. It's a trainwreck. Server is constantly synchronizing players, load times get inflated. As opposed to the PS3 version, which was pretty smooth comparatively. Vita version is good if you're interested in solo-ing it. I really hope they release a patch to fix it.

JoeFenix

If folks are interested in the game and are interested in online play, I highly recommend getting the PS3 version. The vita's online play sucks, IMO. I can barely ever get on a game, and if I do I get disconnected within 5 minutes. It's a trainwreck. Server is constantly synchronizing players, load times get inflated. As opposed to the PS3 version, which was pretty smooth comparatively. Vita version is good if you're interested in solo-ing it. I really hope they release a patch to fix it.

I still haven't received my PS3 version but I've been playing alot on Vita and it's been really good online. Only issues are framerate drops but that's offline as well.

Might be your wireless connection causing some issues, really solid experience with the online here.

I don't understand some people.

The narrator says what to do on the Catacombs B path boss.

And yet people blindly attack the boss instead of actually doing what the narrator said to do.

FFS,
if the statue isn't lit, don't attack the wraith

At least the people you played with tried to fight it at all, when I first did the battle I was fighting the screen more than the wraith because the idiots I was paired up with wanted to run away from it the whole time, so I was the only one hitting it whenever the screen would let me. :|

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Been wanting to pick this game up but can't decide between PS3 and Vita.

I'd like to get it on the Vita, seems like a game I could play in bursts and it'd be great to take with me but I haven't really heard about performance on the Vita.

Does it run equally well on both systems? Other than local mp are there any benefits to the PS3 version that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

May want to get the ps3 version instead. I love playing while commuting, so I got the vita version, but the slowdownams are in no way rare. It really depends on how affected you are by framerate, and how much you like the portability.

The game is excellent for the pickup and play nature of the vita though. I'd say it is a tough call. If they patch the performance on the vita, then it would be a no brainer

jorgeton

I still haven't received my PS3 version but I've been playing alot on Vita and it's been really good online. Only issues are framerate drops but that's offline as well.

Might be your wireless connection causing some issues, really solid experience with the online here.

Hmm. Could be? I played a lot of Soul Sacrifice online and that worked really well. This has just been awful. Not sure why one works and the other doesn't.

maks

Currently I'm using:

r8eOkLB.jpg

But when I get into a boss room, before activating the boss I switch to

TCchvVq.jpg

It only has 250 durability, which is why I only use it as a boss killer. I killed Kraken in 2 charged upward shots with this bow.

Cool, didn't realize I could switch main weapons mid-game.

Anyone know anything about Ancient Armor or some sort of item set with "Ancient" in the name? I seen someone mention it on another forum saying how sick it was.

Anyone know where to find it?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well I finished Normal with my Wizard, but I'm debating moving on or starting fresh with a different class. I'm pretty fond of ol' wizzy, but not having to constantly manage mana and match the element of my weapon to the stage sounds nice for a change. I once got dropped straight into the Pirate's Cove with a fire staff equipped, which made for a pretty miserable experience when the party reached
the Kraken
and I got relegated to magic missile spamming and providing moral support to my teammates.

"Well I finished Normal with my Wizard, but I'm debating moving on or starting fresh with a different class. I'm pretty fond of ol' wizzy, but not having to constantly manage mana and match the element of my weapon to the stage sounds nice for a change. I once got dropped straight into the Pirate's Cove with a fire staff equipped"

Carry multiple staves/rods of different elements in all of your bags.

cj_iwakura: That is for a sidequest.

ixix

I kinda did something similar to this, but using up multiple slots in all my bags seemed excessive, so what I did was set up a "flex" bag with one staff of each element that I equip before I join a game in progress. Then I've got more focused bags that I can switch to based on the stage.

ToyBroker

Banned
"Well I finished Normal with my Wizard, but I'm debating moving on or starting fresh with a different class. I'm pretty fond of ol' wizzy, but not having to constantly manage mana and match the element of my weapon to the stage sounds nice for a change. I once got dropped straight into the Pirate's Cove with a fire staff equipped"

cj_iwakura: That is for a sidequest.

You quote the weirdest way, lol.

Back in the swing of things after I said I was getting burned out.

Gonna do a little more dicking around on Hard on my Amazon and then maybe try another class.

Tokubetsu

I kinda did something similar to this, but using up multiple slots in all my bags seemed excessive, so what I did was set up a "flex" bag with one staff of each element that I equip before I join a game in progress. Then I've got more focused bags that I can switch to based on the stage.

Basically what I do. Like poster a couple posts above said though, I am looking forward to a class that maybe doesn't have to worry about this stuff haha.

JoeFenix

This is one of the best pickup and play portable games, actually really glad I ended up getting both versions.

Quick question, does the difficulty level affect the Chaos Labyrinth or is it a set thing that just keeps getting harder and harder as you go deeper into it?

ixix

Good to know, shame I did it for nothing. :(

Probably stupid, but how do I use the wizard's spells, i.e. Meteor Storm? It's not even in the manual.

After you learn them you need to equip them like items. Go to the equipment menu, choose a bag, select an empty slot, then switch to the Skills category of items on the far right. You'll see all your learned spells there. Equip it to a slot then cast the spell by using it like you use an item.

Alcoholica

Neo Member
Need help defeating the ancient dragon on hard mode! Got some high level npc allies but just can't get it done. Alcoholica84 on the vita if someone cares to help

cj_iwakura

After you learn them you need to equip them like items. Go to the equipment menu, choose a bag, select an empty slot, then switch to the Skills category of items on the far right. You'll see all your learned spells there. Equip it to a slot then cast the spell by using it like you use an item.

Thanks, figures it was a separate menu.
Only one free slot = :( .

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After clearing normal, you get around 20 more quests: 9 for doing special things at A path bosses, 9 for soloing B path bosses (these unlock as you clear the new A path boss quests), and a couple miscellaneous like saving 10 fairies.

After those, though, that's it.

A bit bummed to hear that. Was hoping quests acted as a modifier to extending game challenge and progression even further. But eh it's solid fun regardless.

Diebuster

Red Dragon why u so hard? ;_; any tips for sorceress?

Bring an ice wand and blizzard spell for the fight. My strategy was just to wail on his head with jumping ice shots. When it was time for his fire attack, I'd launch a blizzard spell from behind the shield (a teammate has to be holding it). Once he starts moving forward, you'll want to launch whirlwind attacks while teleporting out of the way. The ballista you find later in the stage also does nice damage. Just be sure to watch your MP and HP and you should be fine.

JoeFenix

Need help defeating the ancient dragon on hard mode! Got some high level npc allies but just can't get it done. Alcoholica84 on the vita if someone cares to help

What level are you? I could try to help but I haven't attempted him on hard yet, just hit level 50 with my Elf.

Marvelous

Can't wait to start the
Chaos Labyrinth
. Want to see what kind of loot is in that place, haha.
Still gotta beat the
Ancient Dragon
on Infernal and gain one more level.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Can someone tell me where the fuck this rune Lucain keeps showing me is and what I have to do with it?

NO, NARRATOR, I DO NOT REMEMBER SEEING THIS SOMEPLACE BEFORE.

Deitus

Playing online for the first time, I came across a set of bones with a death message in Japanese and I grabbed them up as usual. Much to my surprise when checking later that they belonged to a level 99 player. The cost to revive was something like 300k or something else absurdly high (edit: just checked and it was 3 million), so there was no chance I could afford to revive them even if I wanted to absolutely break the game.

But out of curiosity I checked what equipment they had, and the equipment in the first bag was almost too good. It was all level 99, but it appeared to be some sort of set, in that the effects on each piece of armor were mostly the same between each piece, down to % numbers on each effect. And these were some crazy high numbers too, like 3 different pieces with +330% kick damage, and 3 with +500% knockback resistance. Every piece of armor had +300% retribution damage for 3 different elements, and the weapon was 255-255 damage with +300% bonus damage for 3 different elements. So yeah, crazy good... suspiciously good.

Anyway, after sating my curiosity, I decided to bury their bones, and as a reward I got the amulet they had equipped. Knowing full well I wasn't near high enough level to equip it, I went to my inventory to look at the item, only to have the game crash as soon as I pulled up the accessory page. I rebooted my PS3 to find that the game reverted to my last autosave. Just for good measure, I buried the same player again, and got the same amulet as a reward, and the game crashed at the same point when I pulled up my inventory.

So GAF, is it fair to assume this player was hacking their items? Has anyone else run into hackers or similar weirdness in their games?

Marvelous

Yup. Some people are hacking their items for whatever reason. Seems to be mostly Japanese players?
I didn't know about their hacked items crashing the game/PS3, though. Heh, guess I shouldn't bury or resurrect them.

Deitus

What sucks is now I can't get rid of them. I can't revive them obviously, and if I bury them I automatically get an item that crashes my game. So I'm just stuck with these bones taking up a slot forever basically. I better hope I don't find any more like it.

Marvelous

We all are going to have to be careful now. =/ Unless it's blatantly obvious, there's no real other way to tell if some user has hacked items.

There's no reason for me to pick up bones now anyway since I'm almost at max level and just party with random folks. Haven't used a NPC in a long time.

JWong

Banned
Can someone tell me where the fuck this rune Lucain keeps showing me is and what I have to do with it?

NO, NARRATOR, I DO NOT REMEMBER SEEING THIS SOMEPLACE BEFORE.

I knew before I even went to the first level.

The funky, broken mural that you pass going to the gate.

What sucks is now I can't get rid of them. I can't revive them obviously, and if I bury them I automatically get an item that crashes my game. So I'm just stuck with these bones taking up a slot forever basically. I better hope I don't find any more like it.

That royally and truly sucks. I would hate it if that happened to me, since I'm quite obsessive-compulsive. I'm guessing at some point, VanillaWare will start stomping out the hackers and providing measures for the players to remove bones without either resurrecting them or burying them.

In the meantime, stuff you can try:
1) Bury them a third time. If you get the amulet again, we can safely say that the chance for a drop and the item dropped are determined when you get the bones.
2) If there's a save editor, perhaps you can edit it out altogether.
3) If you still have them when you reach the point in the game where you can spare the 3 million, try just resurrecting it and then dismissing it. I'd copy the save beforehand in case something goes terribly wrong, though. In any case, if it comes to that, do tell us how it went.

Top Bottom