• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Teknoman

Gonna have to plug in a headset to get the most out of it. Is voice chat open mic or push to talk?

EDIT: Anyway i'm on the list, so if i'm not already on your PSN via other games, TeknomanEX is my PSN.

Also if you guys have D&D collection, thats a plus.

Oh is there confirmation on the digital ver. of the game releasing by next week with retail then? I have heard there'll be a digital ver. but no price or release date was mentioned for it ^^;
Mind you the digital ver. of A. Reigns was released weeks after the retail/disc ver. for PS3.

Oh since I'm getting the Vita version I forget that there's a PS3 version haha.
Well if you're referring to the Vita digital version it will be a part of the store update the same day the game comes out at retail, guaranteed.
The PS3 digital version, haven't heard anything about that, but this game was at one point planned to be a cross-buy title right? So I'd assume the day 1 digital release is a pretty safe bet. Not sure what Anarchy Reigns has to do with it though haha

Tizoc

Oh since I'm getting the Vita version I forget that there's a PS3 version haha.
Well if you're referring to the Vita digital version it will be a part of the store update the same day the game comes out at retail, guaranteed.
The PS3 digital version, haven't heard anything about that, but this game was at one point planned to be a cross-buy title right? So I'd assume the day 1 digital release is a pretty safe bet. Not sure what Anarchy Reigns has to do with it though haha

AR was in regards to what you posted about retail and digital ver. of a game releasing in at the same time, which is not necessarily the case with some games.
Hope it is getting on PSN next week though X3

IWKYB

Banned
Excellent thread. Add me if you haven't. Gonna play on Vita. Just message me DRAGON'S CROWN NEOGAF! Or LOOT!

Ken

Hmm...went to pre-order my Vita copies at GameStop and the guy told me this had cross-buy "just like PSABR and Ratchet." Hmm!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Grimløck;73941623 said:
The OT got me hyped. Is the loot system similar to Diablo's?

Kinda. Every time you get a chest, you get a rarity rank for what it was (from S to E), but you don't get to see what you actually got until the end of the level. Once you're at the end of the level, you can choose to either identify a weapon, sell it immediately, or identify and THEN sell it.

Technically the selling price of an item goes up once it's identified, but you might still end up losing money when you include the cost of identifying. It's a cool little economic simulator.

Btw, fun fact for everyone who wants to play Fighter: Cover Arise (I don't know the English name), which procs on blocking an attack, giving you a damage boost for a few seconds, also procs on Quick Guard, which is a passive that has a chance to autoblock any attack you receive. It's so awesome.

IWKYB

Banned
Yes. I'm not sure if EVERY weapon has a unique look (doubt it), but weapons do change appearance. I'd guess looks would be based on either rarity or level ranges of weapons.
The weapons change appearance based on the equipment. I've seen many a twitch video.

DigitalOp

Banned
Anybody have video of this Vita slowdown?? Kinda worried about it...

Ill be on Vita next Tuesday. Really excited for this game. My first Vanillaware Day 1

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm wondering if VG+ would've shipped my Canadian copy early, had I ordered from them. Wouldn't have said no to getting the game today.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Kinda. Every time you get a chest, you get a rarity rank for what it was (from S to E), but you don't get to see what you actually got until the end of the level. Once you're at the end of the level, you can choose to either identify a weapon, sell it immediately, or identify and THEN sell it.

Technically the selling price of an item goes up once it's identified, but you might still end up losing money when you include the cost of identifying. It's a cool little economic simulator.

Btw, fun fact for everyone who wants to play Fighter: Cover Arise (I don't know the English name), which procs on blocking an attack, giving you a damage boost for a few seconds, also procs on Quick Guard, which is a passive that has a chance to autoblock any attack you receive. It's so awesome.
I have a question regarding skills, do you end up having enough points to buy everything or do you have to think about building your character towards a specific build?

Seeing how skills have a level like in Hack'n'Slash games, I feel it's the latter but I'd like a confirmation.

Looks like Vanillaware will be very happy with DC's sales in Japan (credit to Road from the recent Media Create thread)

Vanillaware

{1997-12-11} [SAT] Princess Crown (Atlus) - 27,600 / 27,600 *
{2005-09-22} [PSP] Princess Crown (Atlus) - 11,816 / 22,466
{2007-04-12} [PS2] GrimGrimoire (Nippon Ichi Software) - 14,865 / 36,586
{2007-05-17} [PS2] Odin Sphere (Atlus) - 60,820 / 96,280
{2008-09-25} [NDS] Kumatanchi (Dimple Entertainment) - 3,500 / 5,567 **
{2009-04-09} [WII] Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Marvelous Entertainment) - 23,900 / 45,825
{2010-02-25} [WII] Muramasa: The Demon Blade [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Marvelous Entertainment) - 8,025 / 29,823
{2013-03-28} [PSV] Muramasa Rebirth (Marvelous AQL) - 39,248 / 74,207
{2011-09-01} [PSP] Grand Knights History (Marvelous Entertainment) - 63,672 / 110,033

{2013-07-25} [PS3] Dragon's Crown (Atlus) - 109,031 / 109,031 *
{2013-07-25} [PSV] Dragon's Crown (Atlus) - 75,506 / 75,506 *

* = 1 week of sales only
** = 2 weeks of sales only

I wanna play with you guys instead of randoms next week but I'm too lazy to add all the people from the list.
Do we have a PSN account I can add so I can see all the GAF players on its friends list?

I don't play online on my PS3 much, so I might be wrong in assuming you can view friends of friends like XBL.

Gibbo

Just bought it from my local game shop. Asia (English) version. (SingaporeGAF here)

x01Dotjl.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just bought it from my local game shop. Asia (English) version. (SingaporeGAF here)

x01Dotjl.jpg

Crap, looks like I'm checking it out tomorrow.

It will do decently well in the West, I guess partly thanks to Kotaku free publicity.

Yeah, which is great news after reading that report about how Kamitani basically gambles his whole company on every game that they make. Which means one slipup and they're done. So it must be a big relief when they get success right out the gate. Those numbers plus the really high price that DC is selling for should be really good for them.

AEREC

Any videos of how bad the framerate is for the vita? Im still getting it for vita...just want to see what Im in for.

Picking up the Vita version of the game, since it's a shared trophy list I don't see much of a need to pick up the PS3 version right now. I'll probably pick it up at some point when it's cheaper (don't need two copies of that artbook).

I tend to play more handheld anyway lately so it works out better for me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Add me for the Vita version: Daniel_Gonzz

Yeah, which is great news after reading that report about how Kamitani basically gambles his whole company on every game that they make. Which means one slipup and they're done. So it must be a big relief when they get success right out the gate. Those numbers plus the really high price that DC is selling for should be really good for them.

Yup. The PS3 version alone is already the second best selling game (in Japan) they've ever done, short of the previous best by 102 units in a week. Combined, I think it would be safe to assume the entire project has made a profit.

In fact, back of a napkin calculation time:
Revenue: 1,436,869,980
Assuming Vanillaware gets 20% of that, after everyone else gets their cut: 287,373,996

Yep, definitely in profit.

Caerith

Updated OT with the full trailer.

Could someone who has the game already explain some things about character creation? (I'm looking to add some bits about character customization at Hasemo's suggestion, but there's a lot of stuff I don't yet know.)

Are the choices you make permanent or editable? Like, can you change any or all of your name, color, voice, or messages after character creation, or are they stuck?

When do the different messages come into play? I'm assuming Greeting is what your character says when joining in a game, but when does Selection come up? Is the Resurrection message what your character's bones say, or what your character says after being resurrected? Dying seems pretty obvious, but is it when you lose a life or when you lose your last life?

Good to hear. That was a concern.

It was for me as well. The cross-platform play concerned me as soon as it was announced; side-scrollers on a small screen like the Vita's could be potentially disastrous. Believe it or not, it might actually be better there. Still need more time to finalize my opinion.

Oh man I just found out you have to name your characters. This is gonna take me forever to come up with names that I want to keep.

Amazon - Diana (named after Wonder Woman)
Sorceress - Circe (She turns enemies into frogs, if I remember correctly)
Fighter - Maximus (A common warrior's name?)
Dwarf - Stacker (like shortstack)
Wizard - Dalf (from LOTR's Gandalf)
Elf - Hawk (A female Hawkeye)

Sorry, these are just random, out of the blue names I just now thought of.

Something just occured to me, and forgive me if this has been said already.
The OT title, that's based on
The final boss in Odin Sphere
, isn't it?

Top Bottom