• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Have to beat the game to get one right?

You have to clear the third floor in the Labrynth of Chaos, which can only be accessed with a character that's beaten the game once.

Amnesia Potions are a fine way to respec points. It encourages experimentation while still forcing you to think about your choices. Your character will still be plenty powerful even if you waste a ton of points (especially given how many skill points get tossed at you via subquest system). The Amensia Potion is for the end game when you want to hone and specialize your character.

frogg609

Love this game so much. Now have it for ps3 and the Vita (love the easy save swap).

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some nice 1080p wallpapers for this game. Haven't found any out there, and am a little surprised to be honest.

Love this game so much. Now have it for ps3 and the Vita (love the easy save swap).

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some nice 1080p wallpapers for this game. Haven't found any out there, and am a little surprised to be honest.

Here

Edit: might be spoilers, depending on what you consider spoilers. That link is all the unlockable art.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have to beat the game to get one right?

You have to clear the third floor in the Labrynth of Chaos, which can only be accessed with a character that's beaten the game once.

Amnesia Potions are a fine way to respec points. It encourages experimentation while still forcing you to think about your choices. Your character will still be plenty powerful even if you waste a ton of points (especially given how many skill points get tossed at you via subquest system). The Amensia Potion is for the end game when you want to hone and specialize your character.

6th floor might drop one as well somewhere. I have 2 now and definitely didn't do floor 3 twice.

Dungeons and dragons chronicles of mystara which this game's director was also a part of
The arcade D&D games only did that with the shops, while in DC it features into how you play through the levels themselves which is the big difference. You don't need to whip out a cursor to open doors or chests in Doom/Mystara, nor are you scrubbing the screen to find hidden loot for points. If DC limited it to just the camp cooking, it would be alright, but you can't tell me the extent that it's put into this game is due to its D&D arcade roots and not for the sake of the Vita. After a while I just found them grating, because it's really kind of pointless and doesn't add anything to the game; my favourite part of playing online with parties was that I could just let everyone else do it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wouldn't mind Amnesia Potions being available for 9 million gold on Infernal or something.

Both are pointless IMO.
Extract is fantastic. Mental absorb not so much (I like it when I replenish enough through a timely Lighting air O to do another, but it's rare so I'm going to spec out of it).

I guess it depends on how you play. When I'm Sorceress, I'm more often than not in the air, so Extract comes in handy to replenish while comboing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Extract is fantastic. Mental absorb not so much (I like it when I replenish enough through a timely Lighting air O to do another, but it's rare so I'm going to spec out of it).

At higher difficulties I don't see the point for myself in either. Not strong enough to be in an enemies face hitting them with those weak attacks and with Concentrate and Spirit up maxed, along with gear that has MP Charge Rate bonuses, it's become almost a non issue to be charging.

Love this game. Golden Axe on crack.

Honestly the game feels like how 2D gaming would have evolved, had 3D not taken over.
So true. I love the idea of taking old school presentation and wedding it with more modern refinements and systems for depth.

This is Gold Axe on crack. I love it just like I'd love a game looked and played like LTTP but had the depth and systems of a Morrowind.

Its like peanut butter and chocolate.

Dragon's Crown could use some serious refinement, but the heart and soul of the game is fucking solid here.

Overboost

I took 20 hours to finally unlock online at level 26. Didn't even try it out yet. Yeah, I spent way too much time grinding out.

And now Im burned out and wont go back to it for awhile. Fuck.

Well, you've reached the point where the game actually begins. Hang in there and be sure to buy at least two bags for multiple loadouts on level chains. And at least a bunch of your sidequests are out of the way, right?

Lombax

Banned
a few things:

1. anyone else really hate it when a computer controlled char takes food from you?

2. are there any decent fighter builds out there or protips? I feel like I am all over the place with class skills.

3. game continues to be awesome!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
1. anyone else really hate it when a computer controlled char takes food from you?

I've actually noticed that the A.I. will deliberately not take food until you've idled for a while. If you move over an area, they may automatically follow you and pick up food, but they otherwise seem to be programmed to give you time to pick up what you need.

2. are there any decent fighter builds out there or protips? I feel like I am all over the place with class skills.

Fighter I went with cover allies despite soloing the game. It raises your attack power after a block. So add that to bash, the skill that gives u auto block and the skill that increases the damage you can block. With these skills after a block u can go on a crazy offensive. I play as an elf too so having the fighter not need to jump around all the time is a nice change of pace. In fact u should be inviting the attack. I used to hate the fighter for the longest... Now I think I love it more than the elf class.

Lombax

Banned
Fighter I went with cover allies despite soloing the game. It raises your attack power after a block. So add that to bash, the skill that gives u auto block and the skill that increases the damage you can block. With these skills after a block u can go on a crazy offensive. I play as an elf too so having the fighter not need to jump around all the time is a nice change of pace. In fact u should be inviting the attack. I used to hate the fighter for the longest... Now I think I love it more than the elf class.

awesome thanks for the tips.

Ultimadrago

Is that his power attack mapped to 'O'? Sorry, I'm still pretty new to the game.

Yeah, that's a power smash (all melee classes have them). Grand Smash is the Dwarf's upgraded version (check the skill cards at the Guild).

Yes, that. You can also equip two weapons and perform it back-to-back through hotkeys or simply use it to quickly gather your weapon instantly if you dropped/Powersmash'd it across the room.

Though you might want to wait until you get Deep Pockets to Lvl. 1 or 2 at least to ensure space for consumables and all armor.

Vamphuntr

Friend bought this and we played during the weekend. Beat the game on the first two difficulty level on couch coop. Outside of looking really great we felt very disappointed by it. It's a vanillaware game alright. Very few levels and bosses that you have to replay ad nauseam.

Couch coop is poorly coded. Only the player 1 will keep story progression, as such we had to beat the game twice to unlock the hard difficulty for both characters but to also have bags and runes for the second player. It's pathetic since we played the full game together in the first place. I guess this might be the result of the PS3 not supporting multiple account login at the same time or simply laziness.

Online mode is awful. You can't choose which level you want to go and can't communicate easily with the host. If you want to do long dungeon runs some of the members of your team will eventually leave because all their bags contain broken piece of equipment and you can't all go in town together, you are simply disconnected from them. If you are needing help for a particular boss on harder difficulties, you have to pray that someone will join and if they do that they will have good gear/levels/skills. And not their AI ghosts (by that I mean they are played by the AI when they leave) aren't really comparable to a real player.

It feels like a vita game that was ported to PS3 because of the Vita current woes. Clicking around the background to find items, the whole cooking minigame and the runes system are clearly designed for a touch screen system. It's clunky to use the right stick to write rune words during a battle. The cooking minigame is also terrible with the sticks, half the time we failed to click on the ingredients correctly because the stick is not precise enough. The crappy online matchmaking seems to be the result of wanting to make a handheld game where you play quick games with someone you meet in a bus or a coffee shop.

On normal difficulty the game was fairly easy for us. My friend played fighter and I played the wizard. We never saw the game over screen for the whole game. The only time we died at all actually is on the final boss on hard.

Now if we want to beat the game on the last difficulty level we need to beat again the game with the second character on hard so that he will be able to gain exp too. We don't really feel like doing it again. I doubt it's worth it either. Replaying the same nine level again with the same bosses doesn't feel exciting to us.

The quests are really repetitive and dumb. Most of them involve doing the same levels again and again but to open a door or click something in the background or defeat a boss with only one player or under a time limit. You did it before but didn't had to quest or had it activated? Too bad you need to play the same level again.

I can't really say the skills are really varied and that you can make super varied build. We were at the level cap on hard with tons of quests done and I can't really think of why we should use the ambrosia to respec. There aren't that much skills in the first place.

It feels like a bloated version of D&D Shadow over Mystara. I mean some of the bosses are the same and have similar abilities and attacks. Take Shadow of Mystara but add a loot system, a true weapon/item durability and force people to play the game ad nauseam to beat it and you have Dragon's Crown.

Picking this up tonight for PS3. I usually go for glass cannon style characters. How do the elf and wizard compare in terms of damage to the rest of the cast?

Also, can vita players play with ps3 players?

A got the game a few days ago, still have to start it. Thinking about Amazon or Elf, are these fun classes to play?

I started with Amazon and I'm loving it, and I've heard good thing about the Elf as well. Elf is definitely the more difficult class to play, in case you're wondering.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A got the game a few days ago, still have to start it. Thinking about Amazon or Elf, are these fun classes to play?
They're all fun. I'd recommend going through all the tutorials, since you can have multiple characters per save file anyway.

Doesn't take very long and it gives you a very basic introduction to how the class plays.

Overboost

Picking this up tonight for PS3. I usually go for glass cannon style characters. How do the elf and wizard compare in terms of damage to the rest of the cast?

Also, can vita players play with ps3 players?

Elf does shit for damage until you pump tons of points into her, but she stays alive forever due to her speed and evasion... chained 8 levels online last night and still ended up with 9 lives. Wizard is the glass cannon class.

No cross-play between systems, sadly.

Elf does shit for damage until you pump tons of points into her, but she stays alive forever due to her speed and evasion... chained 8 levels online last night and still ended up with 9 lives. Wizard is the glass cannon class.

No cross-play between systems, sadly.

Is it one of those cases where once you pump points into her, she's a beast, or will she still do shit for damage at high level?

Couch coop is poorly coded. Only the player 1 will keep story progression, as such we had to beat the game twice to unlock the hard difficulty for both characters but to also have bags and runes for the second player. It's pathetic since we played the full game together in the first place. I guess this might be the result of the PS3 not supporting multiple account login at the same time or simply laziness.

That explains it! I was wondering why I couldn't access runes. What's also bonkers is that on Day 1, I was the first player and on Day 2, my sister was. So I can't tell now who's progressed what but I do know she has access to runes and I don't. Lawlsome.

I wonder, in the 300+ pages in the multiple threads of the PS4 vs. XBox 180, if anyone wonders if the PS4 infrastructure will be a CF like 3's was. The 360 was the far superior gaming platform, but all that goodwill went out the door with the continued crap being piled behind the paywall.

Marvelous

Gonna tackle to Labyrinth of Chaos again today. Need another weapon that powers up Brandish. :3

Btw, anyone is free to add me on PSN if they need help or anything. Only have the PS3 version. ID is Maha_Narayana.

so who else hates playing the guessing game of clicking on runes until you finally get a match? I pretty much ignore runes now, luckily half of the time online people do it so I don't have to

Andrew.

Banned
so who else hates playing the guessing game of clicking on runes until you finally get a match? I pretty much ignore runes now, luckily half of the time online people do it so I don't have to

I only took the time to remember the one that doubles your score for awhile. Thats the only one that seems worth it to me.

Overboost

This is stupidly annoying, although I guess after 50+ hours of playing I'll have memorized more than just SOL, OTS, THS, CWS, TTF, and SFC.

See, I'm surprised I even knew those. Typing them from memory is one thing, though... trying to make sense of the runes AND click them while your asshole teammates fly all over the screen (dragging the camera with them) is another.

Andrew.

Banned
Typing them from memory is one thing, though... trying to make sense of the runes AND click them while your asshole teammates fly all over the screen (dragging the camera with them) is another.

Yeah screw that. That's when I'd say, "Okay if one of you other dudes wants to figure those out while all this shit is on screen, be my guest."

Wizards really aren't that flimsy as most people say that do.

Levitation is an instant dodge from any ground AoE attacks.

The wizard's evade skill/teleport at max level will essentially take the character off the screen for 2-3 seconds (time takes to perform 4 evades) when you hold down R1/L1.

That combined with slow + extinction (to clear high hp mobs) makes it my preferred class for the higher LoC floors.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wizards really aren't that flimsy as most people say that do.

Levitation is an instant dodge from any ground AoE attacks.

The wizard's evade skill/teleport at max level will essentially take the character off the screen for 2-3 seconds (time takes to perform 4 evades) when you hold down R1/L1.

That combined with slow + extinction (to clear high hp mobs) makes it my preferred class for the higher LoC floors.

High evasion ability doesn't make a character less flimsy. If anything, it only lends itself further to the archetype of a glass cannon.

Marvelous

I only took the time to remember the one that doubles your score for awhile. Thats the only one that seems worth it to me.

I always skip the Generate Weapon Stash.
Don't know why people skip the runes that can give you an extra life or extra item stock, though. Well, I guess it makes sense if you're planning on doing just one dungeon, but still... the rest of the group might want to do multiple dungeon runs.

HORRORSHØW

Hahaha. They're all acronyms, eg., the SOL runes refer to Salve of Life, but it's certainly not easy remembering every combination.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
High evasion ability doesn't make a character less flimsy. If anything, it only lends itself further to the archetype of a glass cannon.

I think he viewed the word flimsy as suck

Grimløck;76038199 said:
Hahaha. They're all acronyms, eg., the SOL runes refer to Salve of Life, but it's certainly not easy remembering every combination.
I didnt realize this and now I feel stupid

Sgblues

Most of the people I play with online wouldn't activate runes, not extra stock, phoenix incantation or treasure hunter's friend or anything, so I usually have to scramble to activate stuff that is if they don't rush out the area.

Top Bottom