• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

I've actually got a pretty good grasp of the runes I feel like before finishing the game on Normal...once you know that they're letters and you look out for that it only takes a little repetition to get them in your head. I usually find myself triggering them in groups.

Raxus

OK I beat the
Evil Rabbit
solo. Now I turn in the quest and I have a new request. Defeat the Arch Demon solo...

Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

eXistor

Hot DAMN this game is pure gold! I'm just at the talisman collecting part and man, this just doesn't get old so far. I think I'm gonna attempt a serious consecutive dungeon-run tomorrow, I did a 3 dungeon-run just now, but I didn't have extra bags yet, so my equipment went to shit pretty soon. I have 4 bags now, loaded with equipment and ready to go!

High evasion ability doesn't make a character less flimsy. If anything, it only lends itself further to the archetype of a glass cannon.

My problem is this:
Wizard has a CON of rank C, and a MGR of rank A (balanced.)
Elf has a CON of C, and a MGR of C. (Fragile Speeder)
Sorc has a CON of rank D, and a MGR of S. (Glass Cannon in terms of taking physical damages.)

By the above definition, elf is less capable of taking damage than the wizard, but is only considered to be less "flimsy" due to the ease of pulling her knockback kick + high speed.

The wizard class only fits the archetype of glass cannon because of high damage offensive spells (exception: casting meteor.) The sorc class on average will take more damage than wizard, but for some reason I don't see her being referred to as flimsy as much.

Having played both classes, I actually find myself watching the elf's health bar more.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Once you go Online the game kinda starts feeling like Diablo. I wasn't guessing that the RPG elements would be this deep.

Love the Amazon's design, hate her English voice actor.

Goddddddd do I hate it! Turned it to Japanese

so who else hates playing the guessing game of clicking on runes until you finally get a match? I pretty much ignore runes now, luckily half of the time online people do it so I don't have to

Treasure Hunters Fortune, give u a high level loot chest! Although the H looks like an L....

Jessicat

Hey all, possibly dumb question that may have been answered already, but does the voice DLC from the JP version work with the NA game? ^^;
Just picked up my pre-order now(lol), looks fun, hopefully I'm not too terrible at this XD

so who else hates playing the guessing game of clicking on runes until you finally get a match? I pretty much ignore runes now, luckily half of the time online people do it so I don't have to

I'm usually that person doing the runes for the other players :(

Everytime me and a party see a rune online a player would go to it and sit there. I don't see them clicking away at runes or anything. So I'm usually the person having to do it after minutes of staring at each other. I just hate when someone tries to rush me. It's not like I remember it or anything.

I remember one guy was trying to help me do the rune, forget that. The only good ones are the secret room and hidden treasure ones anyway.

can you share your thoughts on the amazon skills please?

Well for my final version i mostly max out amazon skills and did no bother with the commons ones other than deep pockets and evasion .
Max out war paint did not bother with the other 2 supplemental skills .
Then rest of points when into everything expect parry and berserk i am a kill them before there kill you person .

VanillaWare found a way to actually make me want to do sidequests.

Thanks for that high res art link. Now I just need to unlock them all myself.

Also Elf + Impact Arrow + Clone Strikes = dead Ancient Dragon.

So much faster than doing a charge shot followed by rapid fire.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My problem is this:
Wizard has a CON of rank C, and a MGR of rank A (balanced.)
Elf has a CON of C, and a MGR of C. (Fragile Speeder)
Sorc has a CON of rank D, and a MGR of S. (Glass Cannon in terms of taking physical damages.)

By the above definition, elf is less capable of taking damage than the wizard, but is only considered to be less "flimsy" due to the ease of pulling her knockback kick + high speed.

The wizard class only fits the archetype of glass cannon because of high damage offensive spells (exception: casting meteor.) The sorc class on average will take more damage than wizard, but for some reason I don't see her being referred to as flimsy as much.

Having played both classes, I actually find myself watching the elf's health bar more.

Yeah, I consider the Elf to be a flimsy character, too. I guess the Wizard has more middle ground defense than I originally thought.

Raxus

Well, the red dragon solo requires that you
beat him in the treasure room only
, so time isn't even an issue.

That's a relief. Archdemon shouldn't be a problem as long as my poison arrows take effect Dragon is a bitch to defeat in the hallway solo.

Anyway, off to solo the Kraken. Fire Arrows are goooo! Time to get some calamari.

Caerith

Couch coop is poorly coded. Only the player 1 will keep story progression, as such we had to beat the game twice to unlock the hard difficulty for both characters but to also have bags and runes for the second player. It's pathetic since we played the full game together in the first place. I guess this might be the result of the PS3 not supporting multiple account login at the same time or simply laziness.
I don't think it's a PS3 issue* but rather a Dragon's Crown issue. Characters aren't across different accounts, they're all on the same account, the same save file even.

* For example: LittleBig Planet 2 allows multiple account login (actually, requires it-- my girlfriend had to make an account on my PS3 and has to log in every time we co-op in that game).​

The lack of progress for players 2-4 (and the fact that each player must individually enter the guild to accept quests, turn in quests, repair stuff, buy stuff, etc) is a design decision. A poor decision, in the cast of no-progress and quest-acceptance, but still a decision made not due to hardware constraints. I really hope that patch 1.02 remedies that. I wouldn't mind even if they changed it to account login.

Sanctuary

Kill me now. My most hated boss as a caster.

I absolutely hate soloing that as a Wizard. It was one of the lamest fights ever. It wasn't hard, it was just monotonous spending 90% of the fight dodging everything until I was finally able to cast something.

The fight also seems like it's somewhat bugged.
When you have that extra magic "lock" under your character's ring is when your abilities are supposed to be locked out. Half of the time when there wasn't any visible lock I still wasn't able to cast anything.

I did learn one thing about that fight though for the future;
once you are able to cast again, just teleport behind the Gazer, cast a bit, then teleport behind again right as it's turning around. Maybe it was just luck, but I did that five times and it wasn't able to spell lock me again before dying. The game even states that his "main eye" is what does it, but it doesn't really specificy whether or not it has to be facing you.

Hell, I don't even know what I should be putting spoiler tags on anymore in this thread. So much has already been spoiled.

Dungeons and dragons chronicles of mystara which this game's director was also a part of

Holy shit, really? I was telling people that when I first started playing this game that it was evoking a similar feeling to what I had when playing that game in the arcade for the first time. I thought this game was simply "borrowing" things, but now it all makes sense.

You then activate it by pressing UP+SQUARE or w/e button you assigned it to. With the patch it will change from up to L1.

That one bit in the patch notes seemed strange to me, as L1 already has a function (cursor click). Perhaps they meant L2? Would be awesome to use items while moving, anyway.

Unless you made multiple characters I don't see how it took you 20 hours to get to level 26.

Never mind hours, how did it take him to be level 26 to unlock online? I'm level 15 and I already beat
Gazer
, solo, with the elf.

The crappy online matchmaking seems to be the result of wanting to make a handheld game where you play quick games with someone you meet in a bus or a coffee shop.

A nice theory, except the Vita doesn't have ad-hoc play.
In any case, I haven't seen so much negativity in quite some time. To each their own I guess. Weird thing is that you said zero good things about the game, and you still finished it three times.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In case anyone was wondering, all EXP carries over into the following difficulty, even if you reach the EXP cap. The game says as much, but I just wanted to confirm it because you don't initially get that pot of EXP upon entering Hard mode. It's only after the first dungeon clear. I jumped from level 35 to level 48 the first time around, heh.

Sanctuary

Yeah.

And enemies do scale. More party members means more HP for enemies.

They don't scale so much that it actually makes the game harder. It's still easier to bring party members depending on your class. Talking about hirelings. Online seems to scale much more for some reason in comparison. Or maybe the average same level hireling just has better gear than an average random? Who knows.

In case anyone was wondering, all EXP carries over into the following difficulty, even if you reach the EXP cap. The game says as much, but I just wanted to confirm it because you don't initially get that pot of EXP upon entering Hard mode. It's only after the first dungeon clear. I jumped from level 35 to level 48 the first time around, heh.

Also to note, you can then jump back down to normal to do all the quest and it'll resume giving you exp as usual. (Obviously the exp per run will be less than hard, but quest exp reward stays the same.)

Jarsonot

Ok, I know if you're a higher level and jump down to normal you'll be capped at level 35.

But do you keep all your skills? Say you get to 99 and spend all your skill points and then jump to normal. Your health and such will be capped as if you were level 35, but you keep the skills, right? And can you still wear weapons/accessories that require higher levels?

okay, so I did the mission where I found the village girls in the catacombs but
they all got bitten and turned into vampires
, am I gonna miss out on something because of this?

okay, so I did the mission where I found the village girls in the catacombs but
they all got bitten and turned into vampires
, am I gonna miss out on something because of this?

I've never managed to get any other outcome in that scenario, even if they only get hit once by the vampires the vampire message still pops up at the end of the fight and there are too many of vampires at once to keep in check.

Sanctuary

Ok, I know if you're a higher level and jump down to normal you'll be capped at level 35.

But do you keep all your skills? Say you get to 99 and spend all your skill points and then jump to normal. Your health and such will be capped as if you were level 35, but you keep the skills, right? And can you still wear weapons/accessories that require higher levels?

You keep your skills and gear. The game just does whatever it does so that your weapons and damage act as though they are level 35. Your health seems to go down too, but if you're a caster who invested into more mana, that isn't affected for some reason.

I've never managed to get any other outcome in that scenario, even if they only get hit once by the vampires the vampire message still pops up at the end of the fight and there are too many of vampires at once to keep in check.

That blurb at the end seems like a red herring.
It makes you think that it's possible to save them, when it isn't. They were most likely already bitten before you "rescued" them from their rooms. There's a quest where you have to "save" the girls that you can complete and still get that failure speech at the end.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Honestly, I didn't notice a difference. I don't think my health went down and my weapons/skills were still completely OP.

gotcha thanks!

Also, just as a general question, are chest scores random, or is there a way to get better chest results on a stage?

Same experience here, but
I figured they were bitten already. The last prisoner room has a Vampire laughing maniacally before poofing away, which seemed to suggest they were already too far gone.

Can someone explain to me what all the runes I'm seeing on the wall are for?
Playing through the story will explain those soon enough. You must still be in the very early going. It won't take long.

MooMoo

Can someone explain to me what all the runes I'm seeing on the wall are for?
The game eventually introduces them to you. But basically you tap them to make a combination of whatever is on the wall and whatever runes you have to trigger bonuses like treasure chests, weapon boxes, coin geysers, extra lives, etc.

A nice theory, except the Vita doesn't have ad-hoc play.
Huh?
BRgHVSzCIAAyvMb.jpg:large

Seil

Same experience here, but
I figured they were bitten already. The last prisoner room has a Vampire laughing maniacally before poofing away, which seemed to suggest they were already too far gone.

I thought that, too. But I've also considered the idea that it's just bad wording and
it's actually referring to the vampires you've just slain. Explaining what you discovered: that girls had been taken and turned and themselves became the predators. The fact it says you pray that you have slain the final vampire doesn't make much sense otherwise. Unless it's implying that you proceeded to hunt down the girls you saved as well which is certainly possible.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention
it still happens even if you don't rescue any girls from their rooms. That's why I started considering the alternate idea. It's odd to mention the girls that you never even encountered.

JokerAceX

quick question i was just curious in the Labyrinth
during path B is it possible to defeat the demon lord while in the demon's dimension?

Oh, my mistake then, I thought I had read it didn't, prior to release. Seems I was mistaken. That's actually pretty cool, in fact!

I thought that, too. But I've also considered the idea that it's just bad wording and
it's actually referring to the vampires you've just slain. Explaining what you discovered: that girls had been taken and turned and themselves became the predators. The fact it says you pray that you have slain the final vampire doesn't make much sense otherwise. Unless it's implying that you proceeded to hunt down the girls you saved as well which is certainly possible.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention
it still happens even if you don't rescue any girls from their rooms. That's why I started considering the alternate idea. It's odd to mention the girls that you never even encountered.

It might just be referring to
the vampires you do kill; it seems to be implied some or all of these were actually the villagers you were looking for
. Which leaves the question as to
what turned them into vampires in the first place. A curse in the castle? (it mentions that some are attracted to it sometimes, IIRC). Another heretofore unseen enemy? Simply one of the female vampires that you slay?

Top Bottom